BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

10-16-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 Space Grey M3 DCT

New M3 owner!

So, it's been a bit of an odd journey for me to get to this car, but here I am.

My first car I bought new myself was a '15 FR-S. It became a huge project car and I immediately disregarded the warranty and went to work, redid the exhaust, suspension, engine mapping, fuel system, intake, pulleys, partial cage, etc. I tracked it whenever I got a chance (here's one of the first photos of that, before most of the work happened).

I put 69,000 miles on it by May 2017. At that point, I was about to take my last round of law school finals. As I often did, I went for a drive to clear my head before my exams on Monday. I don't remember much else, but apparently a truck driver fell asleep at the wheel going 80 on PCH and slammed into the corner of my car while I was stopped at a red light.

As you can see, the back of the car was projected into the cabin and ran up against the driver's seat. Luckily, I had fitted a partial cage to mount Schroth ASM harnesses for the track. The paramedics said they think that's the only reason I came out alive (the metal had crumpled against the bars behind my head) - and I came out pretty ok. No whiplash or neck injury, a minor cut on my head from glass, and my knee hit my key in the ignition so hard that it bent the key back against itself if you can believe that. Very little memory of the past 3 years for the first few days, then everything came back over about 2 weeks, I took my exams (pushed back two weeks), passed, and then took the bar exam and passed.

I moved up to SF for work, and as I had been thinking of selling my FRS before it was magically turned into a check from insurance, I figured I'd get something practical. I got my first BMW - a white E46 325xi wagon, which I loved. Fully optioned (literally everything) and the darker tan interior rather than the weirdly pale khaki leather.

However, I had two problems a year in - I missed my "fast" (relatively speaking, compared to the M3, and that was only after substantial work) car, and the 325 eventually developed a condition known as "basically no oil pan gasket." Because the people who engineered the 325xi hate everyone, they made that job take about 10 hours, as getting to the oil pan on the xi is basically impossible without removing/moving a lot of the drivetrain down there. Even indy shops were quoting me almost 2k.

I had just gotten a new job - basically my dream job - which came with a big raise. I looked at how much it would take to fix, and how much it would take to get an E9X M3. Having driven my friend's F10 M5, I realized that for what I'd put into the 325xi to have it continue along at 190K miles, I could drive a dream car off a lot.

I found one at a local dealer that was in uncanny condition - 83K miles, '08, but almost freakishly clean and unworn both inside and out. One drive and I was in love, and I signed over my old 325xi for auction (since I bought it for 4k, and it needed over 2k of work, they didn't give me much of a trade in) and left in my E93.

Stevens Creek Audi (the dealer) offered me a really good deal on an extended warranty (3 years/30k miles). One of the people at the dealership had an M3 with the same warranty, and told me they'll do the rod bearings if you have a shop inspect them and they see wear, so it seemed like a no brainer.

Looking forward to getting to know this car inside and out!

Last edited by fatalelement; 10-28-2018 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 6
Montaver2056.00
Timujin351.50
elvism284.50
LostPanda276.00
NoHedge67.50
Not Sure211.00
      10-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
jd501
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

That is a gnarly rear end.

I lost my perfect '05 E46 M3 in similar fashion, stopped on the freeway and the rear end pushed me about 6 feet (I was in neutral) into the car in front of me hard enough to destroy the front end as well.

Anyway, I was never going to sell the E46, but took the check and got a E92 three years ago and still love it; never gets old.

My first mod was painted reflectors, which it looks like yours came with.

I eventually ended up doing CSL trunk, black kidney grills, CF splitters, diffuser and side markers, and other than a set of 359s in the future I think the car is perfect.
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2018, 06:10 PM   #3
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd501 View Post
That is a gnarly rear end.

I lost my perfect '05 E46 M3 in similar fashion, stopped on the freeway and the rear end pushed me about 6 feet (I was in neutral) into the car in front of me hard enough to destroy the front end as well.

Anyway, I was never going to sell the E46, but took the check and got a E92 three years ago and still love it; never gets old.

My first mod was painted reflectors, which it looks like yours came with.

I eventually ended up doing CSL trunk, black kidney grills, CF splitters, diffuser and side markers, and other than a set of 359s in the future I think the car is perfect.
Yeah I have to say, the M3 is up there as one of the most satisfying cars I've ever driven, and I've driven quite a few nice cars around various tracks. The biggest difference for me is that I never felt like my FR-S could kill me. I could drive it at 100% and while it definitely gave me some adrenaline, it was always an experience I was completely in control of. The M3 still feels like it is absolutely capable of killing me if I drive it 10/10. I'm sure it'll fade with time, but it's still absolutely exhilarating and terrifying to run it out to redline in 3rd from a dead stop with my foot to the floor.

Doesn't hurt that with the top down you can hear the V8 screaming all the way.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
bimmergixxer
Railside Performance
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 R8 V10 Q5

Garage List
Welcome to the forum and glad you are ok. Great looking ride.
Ducati Monster 796 / Ducati Bronco 1964
Railside Performance
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
jd501
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatalelement View Post
Yeah I have to say, the M3 is up there as one of the most satisfying cars I've ever driven, and I've driven quite a few nice cars around various tracks. The biggest difference for me is that I never felt like my FR-S could kill me. I could drive it at 100% and while it definitely gave me some adrenaline, it was always an experience I was completely in control of. The M3 still feels like it is absolutely capable of killing me if I drive it 10/10. I'm sure it'll fade with time, but it's still absolutely exhilarating and terrifying to run it out to redline in 3rd from a dead stop with my foot to the floor.

Doesn't hurt that with the top down you can hear the V8 screaming all the way.
I think you'll get used to the control and planted feeling it imparts, especially cornering; my biggest complaint driving Japanese rentals is the suspension and steering feel "floaty" compared to the M3 (which isn't a fair comparison).

Never get used to the engine noise though, always sounds like the first time.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2018, 06:47 PM   #6
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think you'll get used to the control and planted feeling it imparts, especially cornering; my biggest complaint driving Japanese rentals is the suspension and steering feel "floaty" compared to the M3 (which isn't a fair comparison).

My FR-S had a redone suspension and a much lower center of gravity than the M3, even stock, so I certainly feel way less planted. FR-S was also very direct rack-and-pinion that I could feel the cracks in the road through. FR-S also weighed substantially less (about 1000 lbs).

Personally, at least while I'm still getting familiar with the car, I feel way less control/planting - even though both cars have almost identical skidpad numbers. I'm sure I'll learn to trust it more as time goes on, but it feels like such a monster right now that I'm still a bit hesitant to push it to the edge.
Appreciate 1
Aries326191.50
      10-18-2018, 05:54 PM   #7
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Wow! That's a heck of a hit. Glad you are okay.

RE: rod bearing inspection. If you are inspecting them for wear, you have already done about 75% of the cost to having them replaced (labor).

Best of luck!
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2018, 06:52 PM   #8
HadesM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pair of e90's

Congrats on the e93!

That was quite an accident. Glad you escaped with minor injuries.

From a handling perspective, it will be extremely unlikely your e93 (even fully modded) will ever approach your FRS. The FRS is simply a better platform for handling, especially compared to the very heavy convertible. There probably is close to a 1400# weight difference between the two.

The engine however is another story. the s65 is a jewel.

Enjoy your new ride!

Last edited by HadesM3; 10-18-2018 at 06:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #9
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Quote:
Quote:

My FR-S had a redone suspension and a much lower center of gravity than the M3, even stock, so I certainly feel way less planted. FR-S was also very direct rack-and-pinion that I could feel the cracks in the road through. FR-S also weighed substantially less (about 1000 lbs).

Personally, at least while I'm still getting familiar with the car, I feel way less control/planting - even though both cars have almost identical skidpad numbers. I'm sure I'll learn to trust it more as time goes on, but it feels like such a monster right now that I'm still a bit hesitant to push it to the edge.
I've got the same problem with my e92 M3. It just feels like a big tank compared to my Z4. my Z4 is so quick and nimble with just the right amount of power for a little car I don't have to worry about getting myself killed in it.

The M3 is just a different beast. I just need to get used to it. I plan on taking it on Charlotte Speedway the day after Thanksgiving. NASCAR has an annual charity laps event on it.
      10-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #10
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieM3 View Post
Congrats on the e93!

That was quite an accident. Glad you escaped with minor injuries.

From a handling perspective, it will be extremely unlikely your e93 (even fully modded) will ever approach your FRS. The FRS is simply a better platform for handling, especially compared to the very heavy convertible. There probably is close to a 1400# weight difference between the two.

The engine however is another story. the s65 is a jewel.

Enjoy your new ride!
I figure that, but I know the M3 supposedly handles quite well. I think at least half of it is just the fear of how goddamn crazy the S65 is above 4k RPM in the right gear. The FA20 is a great boxer engine but jesus christ the S65 sounds incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Wow! That's a heck of a hit. Glad you are okay.

RE: rod bearing inspection. If you are inspecting them for wear, you have already done about 75% of the cost to having them replaced (labor).

Best of luck!
Unfortunately I've had a no-code limp mode that has come on twice at red lights (i.e. when I'm not even on the gas) that goes away as soon as I restart the car, so I think my throttle actuator(s) or idle actuator may be on their/its way out. Probably need to flex the warranty already, so I'm gonna see if they can just take care of all of it at once.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #11
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Unfortunately I've had a no-code limp mode that has come on twice at red lights (i.e. when I'm not even on the gas) that goes away as soon as I restart the car, so I think my throttle actuator(s) or idle actuator may be on their/its way out. Probably need to flex the warranty already, so I'm gonna see if they can just take care of all of it at once.
Symptoms sound similar to throttle body actuators.

I've seen ICV cause the idle to hunt and throw a code, but not a no-code limp situation.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2018, 01:33 PM   #12
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:

I've seen ICV cause the idle to hunt and throw a code, but not a no-code limp situation.
I've gotten a no code limp-mode for my brake booster vacuum sensor being faulty. It's worth a look
Appreciate 2
      10-22-2018, 06:12 PM   #13
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
I've gotten a no code limp-mode for my brake booster vacuum sensor being faulty. It's worth a look
Well, it's apparently both actuators and also the thermostat. BMW dealership also said the valve cover is leaking, which given my past experience with BMW San Francisco means there's a drop visible only under a microscope, but this is all covered by my warranty so they can go nuts for all I care.

$7,105 all said and done, a whopping 1 week into ownership after a clean PPI. Ah, the joys of BMW ownership. Glad I got that warranty!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 06:21 PM   #14
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Well, it's apparently both actuators and also the thermostat. BMW dealership also said the valve cover is leaking, which given my past experience with BMW San Francisco means there's a drop visible only under a microscope, but this is all covered by my warranty so they can go nuts for all I care.

$7,105 all said and done, a whopping 1 week into ownership after a clean PPI. Ah, the joys of BMW ownership. Glad I got that warranty!
Glad the warranty is paying for itself.

I purchased a 2 year extended warranty from BMW and didn't get a penny out of it. Really depends on the car, every car is different.
      10-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #15
AdonM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Glad the warranty is paying for itself.

I purchased a 2 year extended warranty from BMW and didn't get a penny out of it. Really depends on the car, every car is different.
Very true. I purchased BMW extended warranty and got a new engine out of it. Luck of the draw.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #16
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serg87 View Post
Very true. I purchased BMW extended warranty and got a new engine out of it. Luck of the draw.
Yikes! What ended up happening? Throw a rod or something else? How many miles did you have on it when it went?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 05:40 PM   #17
jd501
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serg87 View Post
Seconded.

'99 M3: CPO warranty, got the alternator replaced, that was it.
'05 M3: CPO warranty, got the engine replaced after the vanos bolts backed out and the timing chain skipped. Also alternator.
'08 M3: Aftermarket 2 year warranty, absolutely nothing happened under it.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2018, 03:31 PM   #18
EYC.M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Glad you walk out okay from that horrible accident! Welcome to the club The S65 High Rev V8 is extremely addicting
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #19
///fast
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Welcome and really glad you're still with us !
Appreciate 1
      11-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #20
AdonM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt

Quote:
Yikes! What ended up happening? Throw a rod or something else? How many miles did you have on it when it went?
The BMW tech said it was rod bearing failure. The crankshaft bearing seized because of premature rod bearing wear. They found aluminum fragments in the crankcase and oil filter.

The car had 48k miles on it when it happened. Here is the thread if you are interested:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1177162
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:56 PM   #21
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
United_States
Rep
Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile

I was reading and enjoying your M3 story...until I scrolled down and realized it was a damn VERT.

Yuck, Vert M cars belong in Hertz rental fleets.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 12:18 PM   #22
fatalelement
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNugget View Post
I was reading and enjoying your M3 story...until I scrolled down and realized it was a damn VERT.

Yuck, Vert M cars belong in Hertz rental fleets.

I don't plan on tracking this car, so I'll take your hate in stride. Doesn't make any functional difference on the street, and yes, I've driven a stripped E92 on the track a few times, I know how they feel. Top down in CA in Napa on the weekends is really worth it to me . I'm waiting until I can move to a place with more parking so I can grab a stripper M3 and do SpecE46 (or, if I make partner in a reasonable amount of time just get a Radical SR1 and die young).

Last edited by fatalelement; 11-14-2018 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0