BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

View Poll Results: Vote for age group that you are in right now ;-))
Wonder Years..... 17 and under 6 1.04%
Fun Years......between 18 - 21 42 7.29%
Challenging Years...between 22-30 167 28.99%
Cruising Years......between 31-40 213 36.98%
No Mid Life-Crisis years - 'smiling'...........between 41-49 90 15.63%
Golden Years.....50 + 58 10.07%
Voters: 576. You may not vote on this poll

10-06-2018, 07:59 AM   #45
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBBY B View Post
Well theres more to cars than an E9X M3. If anyone has an M3 under 21, there are much more expensive and higher performing cars to look forward to. Saying this an an M3 forum will get be shot.
Sure, there are a lot of more expensive and higher performing cars out there. Many are unobtainable for people due to cost. But none of those cars can touch the practicality and daily driving ability of an M car. I cant imagine parking a lambo or Ferrari at home depot, costco or on the street or giving it to a valet. Those are point A to point A cars. (you show them, track them or you barely drive them around and then park them in the garage after wiping down with a diaper). Others are just expensive pieces of shit (the build quality of Jags and Massaratis as an example. Then there are American muscle cars and Japanese performance cars that lack the luxury and refinement I look for in a sports car. Then there are the logical next steps like P cars where the price point and owner exclusivity goes into overdrive which makes them kind of douchy I am finding. Did you know you cant buy some models unless the dealer "likes you" and you have purchased from them before? If you want to buy a used porche from a porsche usa forum member, you have to be a forum member. And guess what, you cant join unless you are a p car owner. Makes getting into a GT3 seem like a lot of hoops, and you will be paying over MSRP to get one if you can get any dealer to give you an allocation car.

My point is, If you are looking for a high performance car that balances the hassles of ownership, practicality and daily driving ability with high build quality and reliability, the M3 is pretty hard to beat at any price under 120k. And the higher end sports cars are so impractical to use and expensive to own that even with the money I question if I could justify that expenditure on a car as I would worry about it too much.

Another factor for me about the Ms: this car is in the sweet spot when it comes to the ability to work on the car and get forum advice. This forum with its great members and helpful advice makes owning the car more fun, and you have resources to help in case of problems. Go to Rennlist and check out the posts there. It doesnt look like a single person works on their own car.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...

Last edited by Mvy; 10-06-2018 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 9
cjm41752.50
TimmyM56240.00
Not Sure211.00
Ngilbe361618.50
GotV8?1048.50
scrammer420.50
      10-06-2018, 08:07 AM   #46
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
The fact that the car is pretty reliable for a performance vehicle apart from rod bearing bomb/throttle actuator also helps to lower average age, I think.

Parts aren’t jaw droppingly expensive like that of AMG either.. pretty reasonable.
I agree on the reliability. Imagine being an Italian car owner. But I disagree on the parts costs. This is a very expensive car to get parts for, and BMW loves to discontinue components which force you to replace more than you needed (eg 2008 flywheel when your clutch goes). I love talking to my mustang friends when they tell me they just paid 4k for a new motor. I laugh and roll my eyes and put another thousand in the bearing failure emergency fund.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 1
cjm41752.50
      10-06-2018, 11:04 AM   #47
M3anest
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Alpine White

25. 2013 M3 found the perfect one. Tech package, DCT, Alpine White with CF roof. No EDC so coilovers would be a direct upgrade. 19k kms. Huge fan of the E92 M3 ever since I was 16, now an extremely happy owner.
Appreciate 2
wfdeacon881101.00
GotV8?1048.50
      10-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #48
e90335e36m3
M3
Rep
Drives: M3s

I am 32, this is my 4th E9X M platform since 28.
Appreciate 1
GotV8?1048.50
      10-06-2018, 12:18 PM   #49
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
Interesting results. I would have thought that more people in the cruising and mid life crisis range considering the maint costs but I guess 70-100k is now the new common cost of a high performance car and used M3s represent a real bargain. To be honest, I dont think anyone under 21 has any business having car like this. I for sure would have killed myself many times over. I kinda feel sorry for people under 25 having these cars as it takes away from what you have to look forward to later in life when you can better handle the responsibility. I dont think I could have fully enjoyed it until I could afford to properly take care of it. And to me, taking care of a car like this means proactive replacement of parts that fail which costs a small fortune every two years or so. But I dont plan to ever sell this car.
Lets be honest here, most of the younger crowd isn't going to "maintain" this car like in needs to be, to be "well kept", and that's fine. This is why you find so many cars in the low 20's and even high teens at this point. Those cars get driven a lot w/ minimal maintenance and it shows. At that age (25 or younger), unless you're already "set" financially, you're just not going to be able to shell out what this car needs.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but, when I was searching for my car, I quickly realized that I had to spend an additional $5-7k to get into a class of car (and seller) that wasn't just looking to unload their m3 and move on to the next thing.

Again, no offense to anyone but most of the cars for sale that were owned by 18-30 y.o.'s that I saw were just not well maintained. I did see a few guys in their early 20's w/ well maintained cars, but they lived at home (or at least it appeared that way) and didn't have kids lol. So, they could spend all their money on the car haha.

I know I'm generalizing a lot here and I'm sure most of the youngsters are going to be tripping over themselves to prove me wrong but this is the way it is for most folks. Hell, I realistically couldn't afford this car and the maintenance until I was 40 lol. Could I have bought it at 25? yea, but in the last 2 weeks, I've spent $4k (cash, not credit) on suspension and Rod bearings. Now it needs a new battery and brakes. Eventually it'll need a clutch/FW. (next year). So yea, at 25, even 35 years old, this car would've broken me, and if I wasn't frugal in other areas of my life (I don't have yeezy's, an iPhoneX, and my jeans are like $20 from Marshalls lol), it might even break me now!
cjm41752.50
GotV8?1048.50
Siajoon1853.50
      10-06-2018, 05:20 PM   #50
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
^^ this. 25 year old cjm41 would be buying wheels and an alcantara steering wheel right now, using launch control from every red light, riding around on bald tires because I couldn't afford new 295s. All the while I had 20k in credit card debt, making 50k/yr as an E5 in the military with a mortgage payment I could barley make, renting rooms out to my Army friends. The M3 would be something I'd use to impress chicks while getting my kicks because I'm a car enthusiast. I was wearing $100 shirts and $120 jeans.

Instead, at 35, I'm doing rod bearings, motor mounts, valve cover and timing chain gaskets, and a driveshaft on the car I just bought, have no credit card debt, own a business with positive cash flow and live well below my means. Right now I'm wearing an $8 t-shirt from target, and could give a shit if a woman cares about my car, if she does she's a terrible person (basically saying, peace of mind that comes with proper maintenance supersedes glittery shit young people do to impress people).

To me, the age thing is less about my ability to handle a car like the M3 and more about the level of financial responsibility to properly care for a car like the M3 so I can enjoy it for years to come and protect my investment.
GotV8?1048.50
      10-07-2018, 12:43 PM   #51
srmast1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 6mt AW m2

Garage List
2008 Audi A4  [0.00]
2019 Acura MDX SH-AWD  [0.00]
2011 e90 M3  [0.00]
I bought my 2011 e90 m3 6mt in October of 2015 with 37k miles on it. At that time I was 36 years old and had just come from a 2011 Subaru Sti. My fiance at the time (my wife currently) hated the way that car looked and was alright with me moving to an m3 for the 4 door practicality, relative comfort and sports car like character. The difference in part cost and labor between the sti and m3 is substantial, I quickly came to find. I don't DD my m3, it is my weekend/day off toy.

As far as young people owning this car, I think it really comes down to your financial status. If you don't DIY and you are planning to use it as your DD, you BETTER have a rainy day fund or make a healthy salary or have rich parents because the e9x m3 can be painfully expensive to fix if things go wrong. The car is deceiving because it can be had for modest sums these days but the maintainence costs are still quite high. I have an aftermarket warranty until 100k miles or 2021 that I bought from my local BMW dealer which has already paid out half it's cost after a brake booster job. Owning this car as a young person without a good job or decent financial backing will almost surely make you a slave to the m3 if you actually plan on paying to maintain it and don't do everything yourself. Brakes + rotors all around at my Indy shop is right at $2k and moderately more at a BMW dealer for example.

I currently DD a 2008 A4 which mitigates a lot of headache for me and preserves the m3 for me to enjoy over time. My wife dds a 2012 Acura TSX which we will be trading for an suv soon. I would never own the m3 as the only car for my family due to its gas mileage, maintainence costs and lack of comfort for rear passengers. I know others do, but I would never. It might look like a sedan, but is really a sports car in disguise with a taught suspension, aggressive induction and engine notes and neck-snapping throttle response. I respect the vehicle for what it is. It isn't a normal car like our Acura or Audi, it's an M car and I treat it as such.
Appreciate 2
GotV8?1048.50
tsm00764.50
      10-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #52
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
I bought mine when I was 28. It's no secret that these things are more expensive to maintain than a Camry; I'd hope someone shopping for one of these would be aware of this regardless of their financial point. Can't be "car poor!"
Appreciate 1
GotV8?1048.50
      10-08-2018, 01:46 AM   #53
V8_stormtrooper
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E92

47 got mine three weeks ago and love it 🤙have plenty of fast rides over the years but this one is a keeper
GotV8?1048.50
      10-08-2018, 02:26 AM   #54
M.Power
Գեվոջանյան
Rep
Drives: 2022 LP650 Urus/2023 F93 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
^^ this. 25 year old cjm41 would be buying wheels and an alcantara steering wheel right now, using launch control from every red light, riding around on bald tires because I couldn't afford new 295s. All the while I had 20k in credit card debt, making 50k/yr as an E5 in the military with a mortgage payment I could barley make, renting rooms out to my Army friends. The M3 would be something I'd use to impress chicks while getting my kicks because I'm a car enthusiast. I was wearing $100 shirts and $120 jeans.

Instead, at 35, I'm doing rod bearings, motor mounts, valve cover and timing chain gaskets, and a driveshaft on the car I just bought, have no credit card debt, own a business with positive cash flow and live well below my means. Right now I'm wearing an $8 t-shirt from target, and could give a shit if a woman cares about my car, if she does she's a terrible person (basically saying, peace of mind that comes with proper maintenance supersedes glittery shit young people do to impress people).

To me, the age thing is less about my ability to handle a car like the M3 and more about the level of financial responsibility to properly care for a car like the M3 so I can enjoy it for years to come and protect my investment.

Anyone with a brain would maintain a car before modifying it, regardless of how old they are. Also, I think people mature and gain financial responsibility at different ages.
GotV8?1048.50
      10-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #55
330ciprem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 E92 M3, 06 E46 330ci, 6spds

Got mine at 26

2012 with 24.5k miles. Currently at 28.5k miles.

I have an E46 which I DD and work on my own as much as I can.
Appreciate 1
GotV8?1048.50
      10-08-2018, 09:55 AM   #56
Not Sure
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Sure, there are a lot of more expensive and higher performing cars out there. Many are unobtainable for people due to cost. But none of those cars can touch the practicality and daily driving ability of an M car. I cant imagine parking a lambo or Ferrari at home depot, costco or on the street or giving it to a valet. Those are point A to point A cars. (you show them, track them or you barely drive them around and then park them in the garage after wiping down with a diaper). Others are just expensive pieces of shit (the build quality of Jags and Massaratis as an example. Then there are American muscle cars and Japanese performance cars that lack the luxury and refinement I look for in a sports car. Then there are the logical next steps like P cars where the price point and owner exclusivity goes into overdrive which makes them kind of douchy I am finding. Did you know you cant buy some models unless the dealer "likes you" and you have purchased from them before? If you want to buy a used porche from a porsche usa forum member, you have to be a forum member. And guess what, you cant join unless you are a p car owner. Makes getting into a GT3 seem like a lot of hoops, and you will be paying over MSRP to get one if you can get any dealer to give you an allocation car.

My point is, If you are looking for a high performance car that balances the hassles of ownership, practicality and daily driving ability with high build quality and reliability, the M3 is pretty hard to beat at any price under 120k. And the higher end sports cars are so impractical to use and expensive to own that even with the money I question if I could justify that expenditure on a car as I would worry about it too much.

Another factor for me about the Ms: this car is in the sweet spot when it comes to the ability to work on the car and get forum advice. This forum with its great members and helpful advice makes owning the car more fun, and you have resources to help in case of problems. Go to Rennlist and check out the posts there. It doesnt look like a single person works on their own car.
excellent post. this car is almost universally loved by gearheads, even those who own much more expensive cars. look on rennlist/f-chat/etc and you'll find people there who still daily an E9x M3.
Appreciate 2
Mvy537.50
GotV8?1048.50
      10-08-2018, 10:42 AM   #57
yidgyi
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Everyone's financial situation is different. Let's face it, our M3's aren't really that expensive as it was back then, anyone can get one easily now a days. I've seen 2008 high mileage M3's for mid to low teens. Maintenance is still priced for a 70k car though which I think a lot of people look over. However, maintenance isn't really that bad if you DiY things yourself and don't have to support anyone else besides yourself. The cost of maintenance has come down a bit. Depends on where you get your parts. FCP Euro's lifetime warranty helps a bunch too.

I'm in the bracket of fun years, 18-21, but it doesn't mean I'm financially irresponsible for buying an M3 at a young age or I don't think so at least given my financial situation. I'm single, and have no kids to look after. Most of my M3 expenses are for maintenance. I'm willing to bet my M3 is in a better condition then other similar or lower mileage M3s in my 2-3 year ownership. I am so anal about my M3 it kind of annoys me. Also helps out a lot that I'm frugal and DiY everything on my car besides the Rod Bearing job.

I have to agree with 94jedi that these cars aren't really maintained that well in the 18-30 age bracket, although it's not limited to that. I've seen some older folk with terrible looking condition M3's unfortunately.

If you can enjoy this car at a young age, the more power to you.
GotV8?1048.50
      10-08-2018, 12:36 PM   #58
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
46 here. I've been wanting an M3 forever. My first bimmer was a Z4 3.0si. I love the car. It's quick and nimble. I've had it for 8 years now. It was time for a new car. I just purchased my 2013 E92 ZCP DCT this past Saturday. Nice car. I drove my Z4 today and I'm having second thoughts on the DCT.
      10-08-2018, 12:59 PM   #59
cjm41
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Land Rover LR4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
46 here. I've been wanting an M3 forever. My first bimmer was a Z4 3.0si. I love the car. It's quick and nimble. I've had it for 8 years now. It was time for a new car. I just purchased my 2013 E92 ZCP DCT this past Saturday. Nice car. I drove my Z4 today and I'm having second thoughts on the DCT.
I'm a "save the manuals" guy and was convinced by some friends to give the DCT a shot. I drove it and really liked it. It was a decision I did not make lightly, but I'm happy I did. Sure, part of me wishes it was manual but I feel like I made the right decision.
      10-08-2018, 01:05 PM   #60
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Really? I love the m3 for the DCT. I bought my second e90 m3 DCT this year (last one was totalled), i just cant get enough of the way it drives. For me, i can get my manual fix driving around my highly modded e30. After i get out of that car and back into the DCT m3, i am reminded why i went with DCT for a second time.

That being said, i have toyed with the idea of selling the e30 and buying an e92 m3 6mt to modify for the track...I just dont know if that is the best idea being that e9x m3 mods are $$$$.
GotV8?1048.50
      10-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #61
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Quote:
Really? I love the m3 for the DCT. I bought my second e90 m3 DCT this year (last one was totalled), i just cant get enough of the way it drives. For me, i can get my manual fix driving around my highly modded e30. After i get out of that car and back into the DCT m3, i am reminded why i went with DCT for a second time.

That being said, i have toyed with the idea of selling the e30 and buying an e92 m3 6mt to modify for the track...I just dont know if that is the best idea being that e9x m3 mods are $$$$.
Maybe I just have to get used to the DCT. I haven't really driven it too hard. I'll be driving it down from NY at the end of the month. I'll have to find a YouTube vid on any tips on how to properly use DCT on the M3.
      10-09-2018, 12:19 AM   #62
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

M3 DCT 101: Drive in manual mode, don't shift until redline and keep power 5-8.4k if you want to have fun.
Appreciate 1
Aries326191.50
      10-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #63
lancerr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
Quote:

excellent post. this car is almost universally loved by gearheads, even those who own much more expensive cars. look on rennlist/f-chat/etc and you'll find people there who still daily an E9x M3.
39 here. On my second e92 M3. Got my first when I was 35.

Agreed on all points plus the fact that you have 2 usable back seats and a trunk make this a very comfortable all around option and more practical than a P car for anyone with a young family - 7 year old/4 year old. I wouldnt recommend it for any ages that require you to strap the kid in - your back will start to feel like a pretzel.
Appreciate 1
GotV8?1048.50
      10-09-2018, 08:21 PM   #64
GotV8?
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jerez E92 M3 ZCP "12"

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94jedi View Post
I'm 41, Bought my First M3 last November; still have it and love it! I don't think I'll ever sell this car!
I agree 110%, the S65 motor is soooo much fun. Its definitely a keeper
Appreciate 1
94jedi829.00
      10-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #65
GotV8?
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jerez E92 M3 ZCP "12"

Garage List
Quote:

Excellent post!!! I enjoy doing my oil change and found diys/support on this forum to be very detailed and helpful for those of us who are 'first timers diyers which gives confidence to those of us who wants to learn!! Its a great feeling to change out your own rotors and pads; then take our M right out for a fun and exciting drive = priceless!!!
Appreciate 2
Mvy537.50
TimmyM56240.00
      10-09-2018, 09:02 PM   #66
jd501
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Currently 39.

22 - '99 E36 M3 5MT
29 - '05 E46 M3 6MT
36 - '08 E92 M3 DCT

Love(d) all of them. Was never going to get rid of the E46, got totaled when a new 5 series rear ended me on the freeway.
Appreciate 1
GotV8?1048.50