BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

07-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #89
jamaicaj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieTheRedM3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicaj View Post
Are you using the app or viewing the forums through your web browser?

Also what company did you purchase your warranty through? I plan on getting an E90 M3, F80 M3 or F10 M5 if I can find the latter in a manual which is much harder than the first two and would like to know.

Also sick looking car!
I was using the web at first but thanks to BOOF-M3 (awesome guy by the way), I am now using the app to attach images.

I purchased my warranty through my insurance company, USAA. I believe most insurance companies offer a warranty on cars that are 10 years or newer but you have to be careful. Seeing how it is halfway through 2018, you would want to act sooner than later if deciding on a 2008 E90. I have driven all 3 of those cars and although I may be biased, there is nothing better than the sound of a naturally aspirated V8 that redlines at 8400 rpm. I would do research with your insurance company to see if they offer some sort of warranty. I would avoid some sort of third party warranty because I have heard many horror stories about "the fine print" that covers some things but not others even if it makes sense that it should be covered.

And thank you! I love her with all my heart and can't wait for the adventures to come. Good luck with your search and I can't wait to see what you choose. If you have any questions regarding anything in the future be it car related or warranty related, don't be afraid to ask. Love to help in any way I can.
Cool!! Thanks man!

Unfortunately I'm probably not going to be able to get one for another year or so due to me having two accidents on my record and my insurance would be sky high.

But when I do seriously start searching I'll hit you up!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #90
RosieTheRedM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 Frozen Red Edition

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicaj View Post
Cool!! Thanks man!

Unfortunately I'm probably not going to be able to get one for another year or so due to me having two accidents on my record and my insurance would be sky high.

But when I do seriously start searching I'll hit you up!
Yeah your insurance might make it costly for you. Thankfully, I have gotten out of every ticket I have ever gotten (cop never showed or I talked my way out of it haha) but I bought a two year warranty that covers everything on the car but the wear and tear like tires, oil changes, brake pads, etc. for exactly $2800 or 24,000 miles. If you get something like that, take advantage of it. Rod bearings alone will cost anywhere between $2000-3000 so that alone would cover your warranty cost.

And definitely do, I'll help you find the perfect car for you if you need it. Good luck to you.
Appreciate 2
RusM311.50
      07-10-2018, 11:01 AM   #91
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

This post would have been quite useful had I seen it!

P.S. Sorry for not adding anything to the conversation, I am just trying to post a new thread but I can't yet...
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #92
RosieTheRedM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0000000127 View Post
This post would have been quite useful had I seen it!

P.S. Sorry for not adding anything to the conversation, I am just trying to post a new thread but I can't yet...
Download the app on your phone, makes everything easier including pictures
Appreciate 2
      07-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #93
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Yeah your insurance might make it costly for you. Thankfully, I have gotten out of every ticket I have ever gotten (cop never showed or I talked my way out of it haha) but I bought a two year warranty that covers everything on the car but the wear and tear like tires, oil changes, brake pads, etc. for exactly $2800 or 24,000 miles. If you get something like that, take advantage of it. Rod bearings alone will cost anywhere between $2000-3000 so that alone would cover your warranty cost.

And definitely do, I'll help you find the perfect car for you if you need it. Good luck to you.
Keep in mind the warranty will not cover the cost of preemptive rod bearing replacement (or anything preemptive for that matter).
      07-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #94
RosieTheRedM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
Quote:

Keep in mind the warranty will not cover the cost of preemptive rod bearing replacement (or anything preemptive for that matter).
Yes you are correct. So as terrible as this sounds, I hope my rod bearings go out soon haha
Appreciate 1
RusM311.50
      07-10-2018, 04:18 PM   #95
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes you are correct. So as terrible as this sounds, I hope my rod bearings go out soon haha
You really don't. At that point you'll be looking at much more than a simple bearing job and your warranty may give you a hard time when you ask them to cover a $12-15k full engine replacement.
      07-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #96
RosieTheRedM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You really don't. At that point you'll be looking at much more than a simple bearing job and your warranty may give you a hard time when you ask them to cover a $12-15k full engine replacement.
We'll see I guess, can't predict the future
Appreciate 1
RusM311.50
      07-11-2018, 07:20 AM   #97
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yea you don't want that. There are stories that it took a year or more for a warranty company to finally authorize payment to make the fix. I'm sure there's a story or two out there where the warranty company flat out refused to cover it and there are a few stories of warranty companies closing up shop (not bearing related). Plus the fact that it could be more difficult selling the car since it's not the original engine. What you do want is for your bearings to hold up and then get them replaced as soon as the warranty runs out.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #98
RosieTheRedM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yea you don't want that. There are stories that it took a year or more for a warranty company to finally authorize payment to make the fix. I'm sure there's a story or two out there where the warranty company flat out refused to cover it and there are a few stories of warranty companies closing up shop (not bearing related). Plus the fact that it could be more difficult selling the car since it's not the original engine. What you do want is for your bearings to hold up and then get them replaced as soon as the warranty runs out.
That's much more of what I meant. I just would much rather have them need to get replaced during the time of the warranty than when the car is out of warranty
Appreciate 2
      07-14-2018, 12:24 AM   #99
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
That's much more of what I meant. I just would much rather have them need to get replaced during the time of the warranty than when the car is out of warranty
You don’t seem to be getting the fact that by the time you NEED the bearings done, your engine is toast.

I’ve got mine booked in to have them done as soon as the parts arrive.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 03:14 AM   #100
RosieTheRedM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Quote:
You don’t seem to be getting the fact that by the time you NEED the bearings done, your engine is toast.

I’ve got mine booked in to have them done as soon as the parts arrive.
I'm only at 64k miles so I'm okay for a while
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 03:35 AM   #101
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Clearly haven’t read any of the threads about the issue.

Your car could be fine for the next 100,000 miles or blow up tomorrow. Bearings have gone wel before your mileage for others. To each their own, the cost of replacement seems like cheap insurance to me compared to the alternative.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #102
RosieTheRedM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Clearly haven’t read any of the threads about the issue.

Your car could be fine for the next 100,000 miles or blow up tomorrow. Bearings have gone wel before your mileage for others. To each their own, the cost of replacement seems like cheap insurance to me compared to the alternative.
I have read all the threads about it. The average lifespan of the rod bearings is 80k miles. In some cases, you can hear a loud clinking noise coming from the engine which is an indication you're rod bearings may be going out. Either way I am okay because my car is under warranty
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #103
E90Burgos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Jerez Black

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Clearly haven't read any of the threads about the issue.

I have read all the threads about it. The average lifespan of the rod bearings is 80k miles. In some cases, you can hear a loud clinking noise coming from the engine which is an indication you're rod bearings may be going out. Either way I am okay because my car is under warranty
I think what MJBO is getting at is that by the time you can have concrete evidence that your rod bearings need replacing, you will probably be needing an engine rebuild or replacement. The damage is typically done by the time you have any indication of them going out. Oil analysis may give you an early warning but I don't think a 3rd party warranty company is gonna replace them based on that.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #104
RosieTheRedM3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Burgos View Post
I think what MJBO is getting at is that by the time you can have concrete evidence that your rod bearings need replacing, you will probably be needing an engine rebuild or replacement. The damage is typically done by the time you have any indication of them going out. Oil analysis may give you an early warning but I don't think a 3rd party warranty company is gonna replace them based on that.
Yes you may be right. My warranty is through my insurance, USAA. And yes, I will take every preventative measure to get my bearings done before any serious damage occurs.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2018, 04:32 PM   #105
XKxRome0ox
e90noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

when i was buying my car (2008 e90 m3), the previous owner had an extended warranty ... but there was only about 9 months left
car only had 57,500 miles at the time
it was either buy the car with the warranty or take $1200 off the selling price as the previous owner can cancel and get a prorated refund

i opted to take the price of the warranty off and just use that money toward a preemptive rod bearing replacement + other maintenance work
because chances are ... the warranty will expire without actually needing to use it at all and then i'd still have to spend the money anyway

i didn't want the nagging idea in the back of my head that my engine can grenade at anytime
and even if the warranty took care of the problem without any resistance, just being without a car for however long it takes to repair would be hassle enough
the rod bearings did show enough signs of wear that i felt good about my decision to do the swap right away

AND back on original topic
i wish i had known more about the difference between 2008 models and 2009+ models
the flywheels + clutch that must be replaced together on '08 models
the idrive CCC v CIC system
the updated taillights for 09+

armed with more knowledge, i probably would have searched harder for a '09+ model
although my '08 is in great condition both visually and mechanically
and it was really difficult to find a sedan + 6mt + slicktop that was CA smog compliant at the time i was looking

Production date - 2008-04-22
Appreciate 3
scrammer420.50
Theodore662.50
lvevo75.50
      07-17-2018, 12:46 AM   #106
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

I wish I knew this earlier ... it took until my 3rd E9x ///M to realize that there are M-Button settings (always used these) and M-Key settings ... for initial start up!
Sweet!
Attached Images

Current ///M: 2017 M3 Ultimate
Past ///M Cars: E92 M3 ZCP 'CDN LRP' … E85 Z4M-R ... E92 M3 ZCP Frozen ... E90 M3 ... E46 M3 Cab ... E46 M3 ZCP ... E46 M3

Last edited by scrammer; 07-17-2018 at 12:55 AM..
Appreciate 1
Theodore662.50
      07-18-2018, 09:59 AM   #107
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep

I have enjoyed this website and forum for years but it is the most frustrating site, especially when trying to load photos. With that in mind, I wish that I downloaded the APP earlier as it is intuitive and very easy to use. One of the best features is the "my forums" tab that allows me to move around topic areas quick and easy

Past ///M Cars: E92 M3 ZCP 'CDN LRP' … E85 Z4M-R ... E92 M3 ZCP Frozen ... E90 M3 ... E46 M3 Cab ... E46 M3 ZCP ... E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #108
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
I have enjoyed this website and forum for years but it is the most frustrating site, especially when trying to load photos. With that in mind, I wish that I downloaded the APP earlier as it is intuitive and very easy to use. One of the best features is the "my forums" tab that allows me to move around topic areas quick and easy
I've never been able to figure out how to use the my forums tab. How do you add things to it?
      07-18-2018, 10:31 AM   #109
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
I've never been able to figure out how to use the my forums tab. How do you add things to it?
While in the App, select any forum topic (like wheels and tires) and when it opens up, click the three dots at the top and 'add to my forum'

Appreciate 1
Iyzmi802.00
      08-05-2018, 12:19 AM   #110
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's confusing because you can only add sub forums, not a whole forum like E92 M3.

Go into a sub forum like General, click the triple dots and add this forum.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0