BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-01-2024, 03:20 PM   #1
F1FL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR E92 M3

Passenger front tire wear

Hi guys,

Put the car up for an oil change and just noticed some crazy tire wear/cords showing. Not sure if it was something I hit, but the tire did not look like this about 500 miles ago. Any thoughts? Assuming I should get an alignment when I get a new tires on the front.
Attached Images

04-01-2024, 03:55 PM   #2
F1FL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1FL View Post
Hi guys,

Put the car up for an oil change and just noticed some crazy tire wear/cords showing. Not sure if it was something I hit, but the tire did not look like this about 500 miles ago. Any thoughts? Assuming I should get an alignment when I get a new tires on the front.
Other side for reference
Attached Images

04-04-2024, 09:58 AM   #3
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

You definitely need to visually inspect the passenger front suspension components for anything obvious (easier said than done), and then put the car on an alignment rack to see what the numbers show. I'm assuming you dont have any noticeable drivability issues like vibration or the car pulling hard to the right, otherwise you might have noticed this sooner.

Depending on what alignment machine shows is out of spec, it may be possible to adjust the steering rack tie rod to correct a toe issue. Toe is the only front adjustment you can do on a stock suspension since camber and caster are fixed settings. If you have camber plates, you can check to see if something slipped up top.

While you do need to replace the tire, that should only be done after the alignment issue is fixed.
      04-04-2024, 02:06 PM   #4
F1FL
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
You definitely need to visually inspect the passenger front suspension components for anything obvious (easier said than done), and then put the car on an alignment rack to see what the numbers show. I'm assuming you dont have any noticeable drivability issues like vibration or the car pulling hard to the right, otherwise you might have noticed this sooner.

Depending on what alignment machine shows is out of spec, it may be possible to adjust the steering rack tie rod to correct a toe issue. Toe is the only front adjustment you can do on a stock suspension since camber and caster are fixed settings. If you have camber plates, you can check to see if something slipped up top.

While you do need to replace the tire, that should only be done after the alignment issue is fixed.
Appreciate the feedback. My car is slightly lowered on the KW sleeve over kit which retains stock EDC. I did a visual inspection with the wheel removed and nothing seemed out of order. Just got the new tires in today and have an alignment appointment set up for Monday. Interestingly enough the car tracks straight and I don’t have any steering vibration so I didn’t realize it was a problem until I was under the car and saw the inner section of the tire.
      04-04-2024, 06:11 PM   #5
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

alignment is pretty dynamic, it changes often when you're driving. even more so if your bushings are going bad.

your toe probably got sent out of whack some how or you ran on low tire pressure with out realizing it.
Appreciate 1
F1FL182.50
      04-04-2024, 06:52 PM   #6
TboneS54
YNWA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 M3 6spd & 2011 M3 DCT

Toe out of spec and mixed with some neg camber. Some neg camber is fine, and appropriate, but for up front, you'd want very very little or zero toe.
F1FL182.50
      04-05-2024, 09:58 AM   #7
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneS54 View Post
Toe out of spec and mixed with some neg camber. Some neg camber is fine, and appropriate, but for up front, you'd want very very little or zero toe.
Agreed. This is due to an incorrect toe setting. People always blame camber for bad tire wear when in fact it’s always caused by toe. Too much toe means you’re effectively sliding/dragging your tire against the road. An improper toe setting can destroy a new tire in 1-3k miles.

OP - get your car aligned. As previously stated, toe is the only factory adjustment you can make to the front suspension (well, there’s usually a tiny amount of camber adjustment if you wiggle things around but not enough to make a real difference). You’ll need camber plates, offset bushings and adjustable suspension arms if you need to adjust camber and caster in addition to toe.
Appreciate 1
F1FL182.50
      04-06-2024, 11:20 PM   #8
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Agreed. This is due to an incorrect toe setting. People always blame camber for bad tire wear when in fact it’s always caused by toe. Too much toe means you’re effectively sliding/dragging your tire against the road. An improper toe setting can destroy a new tire in 1-3k miles.

OP - get your car aligned. As previously stated, toe is the only factory adjustment you can make to the front suspension (well, there’s usually a tiny amount of camber adjustment if you wiggle things around but not enough to make a real difference). You’ll need camber plates, offset bushings and adjustable suspension arms if you need to adjust camber and caster in addition to toe.
This. Often people think camber wear out tires. While this is true over a long period of time, as in towards the end of life on the tire you'll see a slight increased wear on the inside. However, toe angle out spec will wear out the inside in a very very short period of time. Based on your photos, your toe angle is likely out.
Appreciate 1
F1FL182.50