BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #23
becausephilchow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

I'm sure you can get F8X Calipers to fit the E9X with some custom brackets.

Same way people get 17Z/18Z/19Z Cayenne Calipers to fit many many other cars with custom brackets too.

You might have some unswept area on the rotor if it doesn't match up well, but, you should still be able to make it work.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 07:37 AM   #24
MDMA 135i
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by deseroner View Post
I do believe you need adapters for hub . Maybe you can get someone to fabricate some .
Nope, m4 brake rotor fit perfectly on e92 m3 hub. rotor hat offset is identical like on e92 m3 360mm rotor.

Last edited by MDMA 135i; 04-22-2017 at 07:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 09:51 AM   #25
deseroner
First Lieutenant
Nicaragua
Rep
Drives: Jerez black e92 m3 coupe 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMA 135i View Post
Quote:
I do believe you need adapters for hub . Maybe you can get someone to fabricate some .
Nope, m4 brake rotor fit perfectly on e92 m3 hub. rotor hat offset is identical like on e92 m3 360mm rotor.

I was talking about calipers not rotors .glad they are the same .when will you try the calipers .
09 Jerez black coupe . 275/35/19 mss rear,Alex alpine gts dct software with some coding(euro mdm,DVD in ,mirrors fold on lock ) , rogue engineering pulleys ,TTFS TUNE . Eibach springs . New brake front rotors with new hawk pads no rear pads. Rd front sway bar.ACTIVE AUTOWERKE TEST PIPES .csf dct cooler ,BE BEARINGS/BE ARP BOLTS,vibra road e/mounts
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #26
MDMA 135i
Private
Rep

yes custom bracket will need for sure, my friend is professional machine man so adapters will not be any problem to make them. i am waiting calipers to come from the germany, i will update info for a few days. i found information on one forum,forgot to bookmar it- rear m4 2pot caliper is direct bolt on e92 350mm rotor. so i will bought also 2pot rear calipers.

Last edited by MDMA 135i; 04-22-2017 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #27
deseroner
First Lieutenant
Nicaragua
Rep

Quote:
yes custom bracket will need for sure, my friend is professional machine man so adapters will not be any problem to make them. i am waiting calipers to come from the germany, i will update info for a few days. i found information on one forum,forgot to bookmar it- rear m4 2pot caliper is direct bolt on e92 350mm rotor. so i will bought also 2pot rear calipers.
Ok cool let me I will want a pair also
09 Jerez black coupe . 275/35/19 mss rear,Alex alpine gts dct software with some coding(euro mdm,DVD in ,mirrors fold on lock ) , rogue engineering pulleys ,TTFS TUNE . Eibach springs . New brake front rotors with new hawk pads no rear pads. Rd front sway bar.ACTIVE AUTOWERKE TEST PIPES .csf dct cooler ,BE BEARINGS/BE ARP BOLTS,vibra road e/mounts
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 11:34 AM   #28
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I don't understand why people mess around with retrofit of BBK from a different platform. Just get a proper BBK that actually improves what you have AND is properly sized (pistons / bias) and engineered for your car. Otherwise save your money and keep your OE stuff. Just my opinion.
Not all of us have the money to blow on a set of AP Racing brakes like you!

Using the brakes from the newer platform isn't going to affect bias in any significant way in this particular case.
Understood. My point is that I think you would be better off keeping your OE brakes instead of building a Frankenbrake. I know it's been done before on other platforms, and I know many people swear it works great. I'm just not a believer in going this route. I would rather save my money and stick with OE. Upgrade the pads, lines and fluid.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 12:15 PM   #29
deseroner
First Lieutenant
Nicaragua
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't understand why people mess around with retrofit of BBK from a different platform. Just get a proper BBK that actually improves what you have AND is properly sized (pistons / bias) and engineered for your car. Otherwise save your money and keep your OE stuff. Just my opinion.

Using the brakes from the newer platform isn't going to affect bias in any significant way in this particular case.
Understood. My point is that I think you would be better off keeping your OE brakes instead of building a Frankenbrake. I know it's been done before on other platforms, and I know many people swear it works great. I'm just not a believer in going this route. I would rather save my money and stick with OE. Upgrade the pads, lines and fluid.
I already got new rotors and upgraded pads , new brake fluid bleeded .still e92 m3 calipers is for sure the weak point. You cannot go wrong with m4 brembo oem calipers ,at least that should be a upgraded over oem e92 m3 calipers.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #30
MDMA 135i
Private
Rep

Quote:

why you call that frankbrake? if m4 rotors fits just like oem+m4 brake calipers+m4 brake pads, only need adapter for calipers?? many after market kit from what i saw comming also with brake adapter lol. then aftermarket brakes are also frankbrakes.

+ i all got for a few hundreds €

Last edited by MDMA 135i; 04-23-2017 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 05:24 PM   #31
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

why you call that frankbrake? if m4 rotors fits just like oem+m4 brake calipers+m4 brake pads, only need adapter for calipers?? many after market kit from what i saw comming also with brake adapter lol. then aftermarket brakes are also frankbrakes.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I already got new rotors and upgraded pads , new brake fluid bleeded .still e92 m3 calipers is for sure the weak point. You cannot go wrong with m4 brembo oem calipers ,at least that should be a upgraded over oem e92 m3 calipers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMA%20135i View Post
Quote:

My skepticism is based on the fact that you are installing brakes from a completely different platform, possibly different bias, and different???, onto your car and calling it an upgrade. I'm not a brake engineer and I don't know if the two cars have the same brake bias. Hopefully you have researched that and any other potential issues. I'm thinking not based on your responses. An aftermarket BBK from a reputable company has been designed and tested to work with the car it is to be installed onto.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #32
buldogge
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '00 MCoupe, '11 E90 M3

^^^The 2 platforms are within 100#s of one another, and both have a 50/50 weight distribution.

Furthermore, ECS already offers a kit using the F80 bits and custom brackets...so I highly doubt the OP will be dying in a fiery crash anytime soon.

I don't feel the need for a brake upgrade, but I would definitely consider fabbing some brackets for F80 bits, if I did!

-Mark in St. Louis
Appreciate 2
FMLYSDN1179.50
irokwrx762.50
      04-25-2017, 04:57 AM   #33
gmx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Find out the master cylinder bore size of the F80/82 then you should have a better indicator of bias. Note, on a lot of modern cars bias can be controlled by the ABS control module pump. Some people with RE experience should really delve into other control units rather than just "cracking" ECUs/DMEs. We're now in such era of motoring now
      04-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #34
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabeS View Post
I know right, why would someone want to find a way to save money on a mod that is 99% of the time just for cosmetics.. that's just crazy!!, we should all save up for BBK at $8000 just to impress our friends, when we never really track the cars and our stock brakes are just fine for our power level...
Or how about if you don't have the funds to do it right, go ahead and save your money, run the more than adequate stock brakes, refrain from building a Frankenbrake and don't worry what your friends think? I know that you are being sarcastic but you are supporting my point.

FWIW - I currently only have a front BBK and run upgraded lines and pads on the rear. Guess what? It is fantastic on the track. I'll be grabbing the matching Essex rear kit once released - but I must admit that it's not necessary.

On my previous car (e46 M3), I found a front Brembo BBK brand new, in the box, for $2,500. Ran that on numerous track days with upgraded pads and lines in the rear. Zero issues and saved some cash. I'm not suggesting that everyone needs to buy the best. I'm just saying don't spend your money on a "performance" mod that doesn't actually improve performance. Keep an eye on the used market for a BBK. There are often lightly used kits in the for-sale section.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 04-25-2017 at 11:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      04-25-2017, 08:57 PM   #35
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
FWIW - I currently only have a front BBK and run upgraded lines and pads on the rear. Guess what? It is fantastic on the track. I'll be grabbing the matching Essex rear kit once released - but I must admit that it's not necessary.
Boom.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1126953&page=6
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #36
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Just another overpriced bbk
      04-26-2017, 01:12 PM   #37
doogee
Major
Rep
Drives: '08 M3, '09 328xi Sport Wagon

Quote:
I wouldn't call AP Racing overpriced whatsoever. They're the best.

Overkill for a streetcar? Absolutely. I agree with slicer that the OEM brakes are more than enough with a proper track pad, good fluid and lines.
      04-27-2017, 11:41 PM   #38
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Why is it over priced? Compared to what?

Edit - just saw the link in your signature. I now understand your perspective. Yes, the Essex kit is not worth it for the use of your car. Stretched tires, heavy wheels, wide body. You have zero use for a BBK.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 04-27-2017 at 11:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 11:30 AM   #39
GabeS
Crazy!
Rep
Drives: E93 M3/Mk4 Supra/X6M

Quote:

Edit - just saw the link in your signature. I now understand your perspective. Yes, the Essex kit is not worth it for the use of your car. Stretched tires, heavy wheels, wide body. You have zero use for a BBK.
$4k is over priced for front brakes, specially on an underpowered car like the E92, it's overkill.
get your little butt hurt out of here lol
Btw that car is probably tracked more than yours, between drift events and Highway runs and is very soon being tuned for E85 SC, shooting for 600 whp, and I still don't think I will need larger brakes for $4k.
      04-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #40
whats77inaname
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: when at all possible

Quote:
$4k is over priced for front brakes, specially on an underpowered car like the E92, it's overkill.
Btw that car is probably tracked more than yours, between drift events and Highway runs and is very soon being tuned for E85 SC, shooting for 600 whp, and I still don't think I will need larger brakes for $4k.
I will say this: in my s/c'er plans, I planned on upgrading to a BBK. Making the car that much faster, and increasing the ability to accelerate that much faster, I felt it would be irresponsible to *not* decrease the stopping power, as well. I opted for the Albert racing BBK, which utilizes the stock rotors but much bigger calipers. 8 piston fronts/4 piston rears for less than $3400 (when I got them due to the exchange rate) seems like a worthwhile investment for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 04:06 PM   #41
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ok bro Have fun on your highway runs. I bet the soccer moms are really impressed when you blow past their minivan.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 2
6ixSpd5996.50
      04-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #42
jballer123
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011m3 zcp

Great idea , keep us posted!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 10:43 PM   #43
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
I made this mistake with the F10 M5 kit. Fitment limited me to 19" wheels - and even then, I was rubbing inner barrel. I'm glad I bit the bullet and did the correct thing with a proper E9x BBK.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 10:46 PM   #44
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Or how about if you don't have the funds to do it right, go ahead and save your money, run the more than adequate stock brakes, refrain from building a Frankenbrake and don't worry what your friends think? I know that you are being sarcastic but you are supporting my point.

On my previous car (e46 M3), I found a front Brembo BBK brand new, in the box, for $2,500. Ran that on numerous track days with upgraded pads and lines in the rear. Zero issues and saved some cash. I'm not suggesting that everyone needs to buy the best. I'm just saying don't spend your money on a "performance" mod that doesn't actually improve performance. Keep an eye on the used market for a BBK. There are often lightly used kits in the for-sale section.
This. I got my Stoptech 380/355 kit new for 3600. That even included the Tiffany Blue paint and caliper rebuild.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0