BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-24-2019, 06:09 AM   #1
antoine
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

rear drive bushing

Hello guys

I'm trying to replace everything on the reare axle drive

I have discovered that powerflex provide only 1/2 bushing on 3 arms

see here

https://www.powerflex.co.uk/products...ab-2843/1.html

12 for one which is wishbone 33 32 2 283 545

12 for one other which is guide rod 33 32 2 283 547

15 for the last which is camber link 33 32 2 283 885

But they don't provide the other side bush , why ? what is the solution ?

buying oem complete and replace just one bush with powerflex ?

crazy price !

or using spl or other brands rear toe arms ? no i dont want !

please give me your advice
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:33 AM   #2
Mr_Reeves
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Generally, and with regards to the rear suspension of the E9X M3, Powerflex only offer bushings where there is a rubber/foam bushing. They do not offer bushings in place of a ball joint as there would be no point in doing so.

Some of the arms will have a ball joint at one end and a rubber bushing at the other.

Is it worth replacing them or not? I guess that depends on what your goals/intentions are for the car. For the street? No, there's not much point.

For the track however, they can provide the car with more precision and resistance to deflection over curbs and under hard cornering which is desirable. And they will be able to take more punishment in the long term. If you're really serious about track work though you'll want to change the entire arm for an adjustable unit as they are easier to adjust, will generally have a ball joint at both ends and will maintain your geometry with more accuracy.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
Mr_Reeves
Enlisted Member
Rep

Edit: Bonjour! I see that you are at the Nurburgring. I go there regularly and made some Powerflex upgrades, it was worth it!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
antoine
Enlisted Member
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Reeves View Post
Generally, and with regards to the rear suspension of the E9X M3, Powerflex only offer bushings where there is a rubber/foam bushing. They do not offer bushings in place of a ball joint as there would be no point in doing so.

Some of the arms will have a ball joint at one end and a rubber bushing at the other.

Is it worth replacing them or not? I guess that depends on what your goals/intentions are for the car. For the street? No, there's not much point.

For the track however, they can provide the car with more precision and resistance to deflection over curbs and under hard cornering which is desirable. And they will be able to take more punishment in the long term. If you're really serious about track work though you'll want to change the entire arm for an adjustable unit as they are easier to adjust, will generally have a ball joint at both ends and will maintain your geometry with more accuracy.
Thanks

I totally agree with you, but as i say i prefer not using full uniball arms ...

So i conclude the only choice that i have is new oem on ball joint and pwflex on bushing side
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2019, 02:36 AM   #5
Mr_Reeves
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoine View Post
So i conclude the only choice that i have is new oem on ball joint and pwflex on bushing side
Oui Monsieur!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
antoine
Enlisted Member
France
Rep

Merci
Appreciate 0