BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

08-21-2018, 04:55 PM   #23
JamesWWIII
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
The real decision is fuel cell or not. You'd have to run some numbers I don't know how much it helps. Just figure fuel stops take longer for bigger tank plus more weight. Then you've got the cost and safety.
Bolian added two 22-gallon fuel tanks that essentially filled up the trunk of his Merc CL55 (which had it's own 23-gallon tank). That much gas weighs like 400 pounds, which is part of the reason he chose the CL, for its active suspension. They could use two pumps simultaneously to fill up the car, cutting down on fueling time. I remember reading that the entire car smelled like gasoline, and that they only stopped for gas three times. They averaged 98 mph on the nearly 29-hour trip.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 04:59 PM   #24
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbm5 View Post
fuel cell is required. I don't think you can get record times without it. I think roy put a lot of effort into figuring the optimum speed vs fuel consumption and at which point it become pointless to either go faster or carry more fuel. as far as I know Roy, Rawlings/Collins and Bolian all increased their fuel capacity. I want to say that all of them had 4-5 stops for gas.

I like all your car suggestions, id personally choose something fairly comfortable and a GT car/super saloon versus a sporty coupe.
Or you skip the fuel cell and talk Johan from the performance center to go and bring his M5. No fuel stops.

I firmly believe he could best Bolians time by a significant margin if properly motivated. I also firmly believe we're I to call him and ask he'd think it was idiotic.

Where the number is now the guys with the talent to break it have no desire to do so - at least what I assume based on the few guys I know who are that good.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 05:19 PM   #25
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

This isn't the place and if you haven't been speed running for years a cross country speedrun is a pretty sure way to get a big ticket at the least. I dabbled in speedrunning for a few years with a best of 120 mph average lap of the 38 mile 610 loop in Houston but stopped before I got the BMW. Even if you have the balls to try it's really hard. You might think there are only 4 corners but in reality there are more than 40 not to mention the rises from the overpasses where you need to slow to 100 so you have a chance to stop for cops, then gun it back up to 150 on the straights. And that's a 20 minute run. 30+ hours across the country is something I can't even begin to imagine. Massive props to people like Alex Roy and Ed Bolian.

As far as the movies go the first is the best. Jackie Chan's character and the "high tech" japanese car were great.
Appreciate 0