BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-27-2017, 02:21 PM   #89
Inflame
Private
Rep
Drives: 95 m3

Lol, if this guy doesn't pick up 50whp and make over 420whp from cams I'll laugh all the way to the bank.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 06:26 PM   #90
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

5 pages and no dyno graph, means no gain or didn't crack the 400whp
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #91
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflame View Post
Lol, if this guy doesn't pick up 50whp and make over 420whp from cams I'll laugh all the way to the bank.
Maybe you shouldn't.

If you track the car there is really no alternative. You either don't do cams or you do them, but if you can get another 20hp out of headers and cams then it may be expensive but I don't see what other option you have.

Cams may be an expensive way to get HP but for the track they are the only thing that will allow long term use
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 11:57 AM   #92
Inflame
Private
Rep

That makes absolutely zero sense. Spending 10k for 20whp is the dumbest damn thing I've heard of unless you're racing for 30k in prize money. No one here is doing that, it's all HPDE for personal records and NASA/SCCA/AER/GL/etc/etc are all regulated, so cams would cause consequences that would make the change obsolete. Spending that 10k on proper suspension or even a driving school (which he hasn't done either) would yield MUCH better results.

I have a dedicated race car, and I track a TON, and a $400 cam in my LS would yield 50+whp, yet I'm on the stock cam... money better spent.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #93
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
That makes absolutely zero sense. Spending 10k for 20whp is the dumbest damn thing I've heard of unless you're racing for 30k in prize money. No one here is doing that, it's all HPDE for personal records and NASA/SCCA/AER/GL/etc/etc are all regulated, so cams would cause consequences that would make the change obsolete. Spending that 10k on proper suspension or even a driving school (which he hasn't done either) would yield MUCH better results.

I have a dedicated race car, and I track a TON, and a $400 cam in my LS would yield 50+whp, yet I'm on the stock cam... money better spent.
He has already spent 10k in suspension

If it makes him happier I don't see why it's a bad thing. Having an S65 that is maxed out is awesome regardless of the cost. No one doubts that an E9X is most the best track car to begin with, however, with dedicated owners people are doing great things with them. Witness dogbone and his supercharged E90.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #94
Inflame
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
He has already spent 10k in suspension

If it makes him happier I don't see why it's a bad thing. Having an S65 that is maxed out is awesome regardless of the cost. No one doubts that an E9X is most the best track car to begin with, however, with dedicated owners people are doing great things with them. Witness dogbone and his supercharged E90.
" Dinan front and rear monoball suspension upgrades for the main bushings in front and rear, solid subframe bushings. Next will be coilovers and then aero. But first is cams and the finishing of engine work"

He doesn't have 10k in suspension, unless bushings are 10k... lol.

To each their own, I agree, but 10k for 20whp is a joke and a half.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #95
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
" Dinan front and rear monoball suspension upgrades for the main bushings in front and rear, solid subframe bushings. Next will be coilovers and then aero. But first is cams and the finishing of engine work"

He has the Ohlins TTX suspension

I don't think he's spent 10k on the power stuff, more like 5k tops. Cams are ~3k, tune is another ~1k, install is another ~1k?
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #96
Inflame
Private
Rep

Thought I read he said he spent 10k cause he had the engine built too? I'm not sure, but even 5k for cams and 20whp... Be realistic, that is horrible.

I'm not a fan of wasting money, if I don't get significant gains from my investment I don't bother. A professional driving school, or two, would net much better lap times.

He needs to post a dyno showing proper gains to make it worth while, now it's all speculation.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 03:11 PM   #97
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Thought I read he said he spent 10k cause he had the engine built too? I'm not sure, but even 5k for cams and 20whp... Be realistic, that is horrible.

I'm not a fan of wasting money, if I don't get significant gains from my investment I don't bother. A professional driving school, or two, would net much better lap times.

He needs to post a dyno showing proper gains to make it worth while, now it's all speculation.
I don't believe he has had an engine build. Still on stock headers as well.

I don't agree although this is a matter of opinion. I absolutely see the point in spending 10k to get 20whp on the S65 and have zero interest in whether an LS3 gains 50 or 6000 horses from cams.

I also like eating at good restaurants. Someone could argue my filet mignon provides the same nutrition than a Smashburger and I'd agree, however, the experience is completely different.

OP's experience will be very nice with the added horses. Could he buy something else and be faster? I'm sure. But who can take away from the awesomeness?

I track a lot and frequently run across people with really expensive cars who think the E9X is a grocery getter. I then proceed to tear their doors off. Could I be faster in another car? Yes. Are other people faster than me? Yes. Do I think my grocery getter is providing driving nirvana? Hell yes!

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 11-28-2017 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 5
      11-28-2017, 03:29 PM   #98
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

wasteofmoneytomodthecarmodthedriver.meme
      11-28-2017, 04:32 PM   #99
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Since these are top end motors to begin with, are we to expect lots of overlap at idle for a top end cam???

But for serious, I'd love to see where this ends up. Haven't really seen anything for cams on these cars.

I am also interested to see how this plays out for a track car. Do the cams knock you out of contention within any given series? If $10k was truly spent, why not go stroker for maybe a couple grand more?

Again, not trolling, I'm super excited to see where the cams put you at.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #100
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Cams are just a fraction of the cost of a stroker motor.
Appreciate 1
tlow982183.50
      11-28-2017, 10:32 PM   #101
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:

There are lots of ways to make way more hp/$ than the cams on your LS, but that isn't relevant, is it?

What are you doing here?

Last edited by tlow98; 11-28-2017 at 10:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 06:27 AM   #102
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post
Quote:

There are lots of ways to make way more hp/$ than the cams on your LS, but that isn't relevant, is it?

What are you doing here?
I think his input was helpful whether we like it or not. It was good hearing both points of views.

Unless you have the disposable income, the bang for the buck is not a smart move but we already know that. What makes it even more cool is to be in the company of folks like us, together splurging hard earned dollars on things we enjoy! It helps us resolve our inner conflict between what is wiser and what is happier! I'll make the wise decisions somewhere else.
For example, I'm struggling with the idea of a stroker to replace my old worn engine (might be cheaper to buy another car). There are cheaper solutions by far, but dammit I love THIS car.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 07:02 AM   #103
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
I am also interested to see how this plays out for a track car. Do the cams knock you out of contention within any given series? If $10k was truly spent, why not go stroker for maybe a couple grand more?
I've driven in a cammed stroker S65 with BW long tube headers and man, it's worth whatever it costs. The sound is distinctive.

Strokers seem to be around 30k without issues, then you'd want to do cams there as well.

This will have no bearing on any series, as the OP competes for the HPDE trophy like most of us here. You would need incredibly deep pockets to run a E92 in actual races and be competitive.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 11-29-2017 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 08:57 AM   #104
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've driven in a cammed stroker S65 and it's worth whatever it costs. The sound is distinctive.

Strokers seem to be around 30k without issues, then you'd want to do cams there as well.

This will have no bearing on any series, as the OP competes for the HPDE trophy like most of us here. You would need incredibly deep pockets to run a E92 in actual races and be competitive.
Yowza. I was a bit off. I came up with about $11k without labor (and using the existing block) just searching around super quickly. I had always kept the stroker card in my back pocket for a few years on down the line when it's time to start dedicating the car for more X-Treme duty. Maybe not now......

Anyhow. Can't wait to see results, OP!
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      11-29-2017, 02:26 PM   #105
Inflame
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlow98 View Post

What are you doing here?
Because I enjoy starting shit on forums

Don't get too serious buddy, have a good sense of humor like SYT, it'll take you far in life.

LS > S65 I own both, so no bias here
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:32 PM   #106
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Yowza. I was a bit off. I came up with about $11k without labor (and using the existing block) just searching around super quickly. I had always kept the stroker card in my back pocket for a few years on down the line when it's time to start dedicating the car for more X-Treme duty. Maybe not now......

Anyhow. Can't wait to see results, OP!
I think the cheapest I've seen is around that, $11k, but I haven't actually seen one built at that price. Labor is also a huge component of these things... and remember that even if you were stroking you would still have naysayers shitting on your thread saying you can get horses cheaper by supercharging or getting another car

I thought of doing a stroker DIY but abandoned the idea. It seems like doing it right is beyond the ability of a DIY-er
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #107
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
I think his input was helpful whether we like it or not. It was good hearing both points of views.

Unless you have the disposable income, the bang for the buck is not a smart move but we already know that. What makes it even more cool is to be in the company of folks like us, together splurging hard earned dollars on things we enjoy! It helps us resolve our inner conflict between what is wiser and what is happier! I'll make the wise decisions somewhere else.
For example, I'm struggling with the idea of a stroker to replace my old worn engine (might be cheaper to buy another car). There are cheaper solutions by far, but dammit I love THIS car.
There is something clearly distinctive in driving high specific output engines. I do not feel the same with low specific output ones, but of course those are way cheaper to mod to get additional ponies from as they are such huge engines to begin with.

Specific output is clearly the hard way to get horses. Ferrari/Porsche/Lambo have for many years played a 'who's d**k is biggest' contest with specific output as its a measure of engineering prowess, culminating in the Lambo Superleggera, GT3 991.2 and the 800hp NA Ferrari Superfast

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 09-19-2018 at 03:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 05:10 PM   #108
tlow98
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91, 2014 F15 x35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post

I agree. In life, there are always more or less expensive ways to get things done. It's a little tiresome to hear people talking about hp/$ all the time. This thread is not about hp/$.

Quote:
Because I enjoy starting shit on forums

Don't get too serious buddy, have a good sense of humor like SYT, it'll take you far in life.

LS > S65 I own both, so no bias here
It's just that I'm reading this very interesting thread - to me and everyone else here, but then I have to read people's posts that aren't applicable and are a waste of time.

Just because you have a thought, it doesn't mean you have to say it.

I'm glad you're not biased, welcome to the forum.

Quote:
I think the cheapest I've seen is around that, $11k, but I haven't actually seen one built at that price. Labor is also a huge component of these things... and remember that even if you were stroking you would still have naysayers shitting on your thread saying you can get horses cheaper by supercharging or getting another car

I thought of doing a stroker DIY but abandoned the idea. It seems like doing it right is beyond the ability of a DIY-er
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11479.50
      12-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #109
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Here's the answer to everyone's problem (not the car), for those of us wanting to maintain a N/A motor. Up fit would be a pain but can you imagine? Look at those specs.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/automotive/
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 07:57 AM   #110
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorH View Post
Here's the answer to everyone's problem (not the car), for those of us wanting to maintain a N/A motor. Up fit would be a pain but can you imagine? Look at those specs.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/automotive/
Why no dry sump tho?
Appreciate 0