BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #7943
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

They have to look good. These are much more comfortable and thinner than my old old Alpinestars gloves. I think Pro BMW and Ferrari drivers use these, so they must be decent, right?

Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #7944
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQ13 View Post
They have to look good. These are much more comfortable and thinner than my old old Alpinestars gloves. I think Pro BMW and Ferrari drivers use these, so they must be decent, right?

[IMG]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...rari_SF15T.jpg[/IMG]
Thanks.
I did some more reading and an important factor is the steering wheel.

I have the OEM M3 leather wheel.

So my objectives are to:
1. Protect the OEM wheel
2. Avoid unpredictable slippage

Not sure what else functional gloves do.

I already look like a dork in driving suit so the gloves won't help the look.

A big change from motorcycle leather suit
where one feel like a cool dude.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #7945
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep
Drives: Its a M3

I know this question is more of a wheel and tire section question but figured if anyone knows they will be in here. Has anyone run 315/30r18 on the front? Looking for a good 200tw tire to run. I can fit the Pirelli dh 305/660r18 square just not sure if a 315 is feasible. Maybe I will get a set of 275/35r18 in the same tire and compare lap times if they can squeeze in there. Could be a fun little experiment.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11586.00
      12-16-2018, 07:36 PM   #7946
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i often wondered what it would take to freely run 315's. i say freely because it is obvious there would be some obstruction at the engine frame and firewall. i wonder if there is enough room to pinch the "frame" and reinforce it to even add rigidity. 315's up front would be pretty nasty.
      12-16-2018, 10:59 PM   #7947
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
Thanks.
I did some more reading and an important factor is the steering wheel.

I have the OEM M3 leather wheel.

So my objectives are to:
1. Protect the OEM wheel
2. Avoid unpredictable slippage

Not sure what else functional gloves do.

I already look like a dork in driving suit so the gloves won't help the look.

A big change from motorcycle leather suit
where one feel like a cool dude.
The puma gloves are no good for that..don’t grip leather steering wheel at all. My old Alpinestars gloves were Tech 1-K (IIRC) karting gloves. They had a rubbery material on them that gripped my old leather steering wheel very well. I made the switch to gloves bc I didn’t like how my sweat made the wheel slippery...I wouldn’t worry about what others think.

Edit: I once had an instructor who told me gloves are bad because they reduce feel/connection to car. He also said he would drive naked if he could bc better feel...
Whatever floats your boat, bro
Appreciate 1
gmx166.00
      12-16-2018, 11:43 PM   #7948
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Getting ready to reinstall engine. Spun two bearings in September in my E46 M3.
Nice to see an update! I've been so busy I haven't been on here much. I am happy to see the engine is about to go back in!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 01:31 PM   #7949
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

I have a bride gardis halo seat for sale.

12-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #7950
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
For those of you that do track days with gloves, what would one look for in selecting driving gloves?
The owner of Northstar Motorsports, John Ruther, had a nice overview video of some of the key differences in gloves. It's for OMP, but same differences seem to appear across most brands:

My advice is to just find a store that stocks a bunch and try them on. Some other personal tidbits from my experience are below. I have owned several brands and the quality seems to be equivalent among them all, so in the end I still defer to comfort.

Avoid:
-velcro straps, because an elastic cuff band is just as effective
-gloves that are the same color as your car because it's harder to see a point-by
-white or light colors that look grungy quickly

Nice to have:
-outside seams for more comfort
-pre-curved for more comfort

Last edited by dparm; 12-17-2018 at 03:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 02:53 PM   #7951
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
For those of you that do track days with gloves, what would one look for in selecting driving gloves?
I have OMP gloves which grip leather and suede steering wheels really well. It's not moisture wicking so your hands will sweat.

It's not the sexy brand name like Alpine Stars or Puma but it gets the job done well at a reasonable price.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2018, 05:02 PM   #7952
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

Well I was able to give my new hood vents a shakedown at Barber yesterday and they seemed to keep the engine about 10 degrees cooler (eyeballed, not measured). You can definitely see the heat rising out at least. I will have to finally get a power steering armband, my windshield was soaked lol. Most importantly they look cool (style mod>driver mod).

And speaking of looking cool...

Name:  20181216_092608_HDR_2-507x1146.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  255.3 KB

And a (properly oriented this time!) video

Oh and I tested out the ApexPro digital coach this weekend too. Really cool piece of technology. Probably gonna buy one soon.
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11586.00
bigjae19761571.00
      12-18-2018, 01:23 AM   #7953
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Received my new seat yesterday. Unfortunately when paired with my seat mount I’m too short for it, so I need to find a way to raise the bottom cushion about an inch. At least my ass fits in it tho..

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #7954
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Those the BK mounts? Bump it up a couple notches. Looks like you are two down from the top on the front. On mine to get the 20 degree angle I had to use the top front one and bottom rear one.
      12-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #7955
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCommie View Post
Those the BK mounts? Bump it up a couple notches. Looks like you are two down from the top on the front. On mine to get the 20 degree angle I had to use the top front one and bottom rear one.
Yeah, BK. I prefer to sit a little more upright, so with my old seat I had rear mounted on upper hole and front on second to lowest hole. With this seat, the front is one notch higher (so I can fit the sub strap bar), and now I can barely see over the wheel. Lowering it would probably make it worse.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 09:53 AM   #7956
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Would anyone be interested in joining a group buy for the Apex Pro digital coach? Retail is $450, I don't have any pricing yet, but they are requesting participation numbers right now and are trying to get this wrapped up by the end of December or the 1st/2nd week of January. We had a group of 10 guys at the track and about half were interested and Apex mentioned a group discount even for that few, so if we could get 10 people they will probably make it worth our while.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 11:27 AM   #7957
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
Yeah, BK. I prefer to sit a little more upright, so with my old seat I had rear mounted on upper hole and front on second to lowest hole. With this seat, the front is one notch higher (so I can fit the sub strap bar), and now I can barely see over the wheel. Lowering it would probably make it worse.
Depending on the seat you are at the wrong angle if you are using a standard 20 degree hans. Get some gangster lean goin.
      12-18-2018, 12:37 PM   #7958
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MPH1S View Post
Would anyone be interested in joining a group buy for the Apex Pro digital coach? Retail is $450, I don't have any pricing yet, but they are requesting participation numbers right now and are trying to get this wrapped up by the end of December or the 1st/2nd week of January. We had a group of 10 guys at the track and about half were interested and Apex mentioned a group discount even for that few, so if we could get 10 people they will probably make it worth our while.
These are up for sale all the time on Rennlist. I plan on putting mine up for sale.
Appreciate 1
M3MPH1S592.00
      12-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #7959
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
These are up for sale all the time on Rennlist. I plan on putting mine up for sale.
Huh, do people just get tired of them?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 04:54 PM   #7960
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Huh, do people just get tired of them?
I don't think it works for everyone. I have an soloDL and shift lights taking up most of onboard visual space. I didn't have a good spot for the apex so wasn't getting a lot of real time feedback . You really need it in braking zone and corners which is when I am really trying to look ahead.

You have to worry about charging. You have to turn it on. You have to sync it with your phone that you have to carry in your pocket which I don't normally like to do when I am driving.

I get most everything I need with my DL and smartycam. Set it and forget it technology.

I'd test one out first and see if you are able to improve.
Appreciate 2
M3MPH1S592.00
      12-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #7961
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Which mounts are you using - direct or oem slider? Also BK's sub bar?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 05:34 PM   #7962
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it works for everyone. I have an soloDL and shift lights taking up most of onboard visual space. I didn't have a good spot for the apex so wasn't getting a lot of real time feedback . You really need it in braking zone and corners which is when I am really trying to look ahead.

You have to worry about charging. You have to turn it on. You have to sync it with your phone that you have to carry in your pocket which I don't normally like to do when I am driving.

I get most everything I need with my DL and smartycam. Set it and forget it technology.

I'd test one out first and see if you are able to improve.
Ok yeah I see where you're coming from. The charging and tech stuff doesn't bother me personally. Yeah I tried it all day Sunday and it was difficult to pay attention to until the last session when I finally started getting used to it, but I did like it. I'm just intermediate level, so it's very helpful for me to be able to see all the small areas for improvement that I need to stitch together without having to have somebody ride along at all times. I mounted mine right on top of the speedo dash bump and I don't have any Aim or anything competing for space.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #7963
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Ok yeah I see where you're coming from. The charging and tech stuff doesn't bother me personally. Yeah I tried it all day Sunday and it was difficult to pay attention to until the last session when I finally started getting used to it, but I did like it. I'm just intermediate level, so it's very helpful for me to be able to see all the small areas for improvement that I need to stitch together without having to have somebody ride along at all times. I mounted mine right on top of the speedo dash bump and I don't have any Aim or anything competing for space.
So is it just the light that you watch? What is it telling you - the limits of traction? Like you still had some left and can push harder or something? Did you use it to make adjustments during the session or as review afterwards?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #7964
M3MPH1S
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jktx View Post
So is it just the light that you watch? What is it telling you - the limits of traction? Like you still had some left and can push harder or something? Did you use it to make adjustments during the session or as review afterwards?
Yes it tells you the limits of traction in real time by using a row of lights. The lights will change from red to green as you use more available traction. So if you are going around a turn and see 8/10 green lights, you know next time you can take the corner a little faster. Additionally, there's also an app that stores all the data and overlays it on a track map and you can pull it up on your phone after the session and see all the "red" areas. You can also do cool stuff like overlay multiple laps at once and see the delta.
Appreciate 0