BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-09-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
svinfinity
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 JEREZ M3

Supercharger Tune - Options?

I recently purchased a used ESS VT2 kit and looking at various tuning options. I received prices ranging from 1k to 2800... I’ve looked at the following options so far: Gintani - my current NA tune and they wanted 2800 more for the upgrade...
Rk tunes, bpm, ttfs. I’m avoiding ess for now as their support seems lacking for used kits.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
DameJ.M3
Young Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was going to go with rktunes once I found a 625/650 kit. Currently running Gintani tune.
      07-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
I think there are many happy customers exactly like you that have purchased a used kit and have contact Benvo at BPM. great tune and great service. he is very active in this section of the forum

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #4
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

IMO why not stick to the original maker of the kits tune? ESS know the kit better than anyone else. We carry ESS flash cables and can source the S/C tunes. Feel free to PM me for details.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 4
SYT_Shadow11479.50
Mvy540.50
tom @ eas8114.50
Iyzmi802.00
      07-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #5
azndrunk74
Major
Rep
Drives: Frozen Black F10 M5

I never had an issue getting my tune from ESS. I've had multiple tunes with multiple changes/options (ESS625/ESS650) from them. Definitely recommend their tune.
2014 Frozen Black F10 M5 | Agency Power HFC Downpipes | Custom Open Flash Stage 2 Tune | KW HAS kit | 3D Design Lip | 3D Design Skirts | 3D Design Spoiler | IND Front & Rear Reflectors | IND M5 Badge | M Performance Steering Wheel | M Performance CF Shift Knob | Pedal Haus Pedals & Paddles | Turner Exhaust |
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11479.50
Iyzmi802.00
      07-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #6
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would strongly suggest going with any tuner except ESS. Their 2nd hand customer support is very bad!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
IMO why not stick to the original maker of the kits tune? ESS know the kit better than anyone else. We carry ESS flash cables and can source the S/C tunes. Feel free to PM me for details.
It's always entertaining for people to use kits from company X and to get a tune from anyone other than them...
Appreciate 1
Mvy540.50
      07-09-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT ESS625

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
That would be far too sensible. People are too lazy or incapable of doing their own research so they go off circle jerk advice from people who are also incapable of proper research, or suffer from memory loss. It's almost as if this exact thread is posted multiple times a month with the same outcome.

At some point SYT_Shadow will come in to share some of his prescription-strength crazy pills with anyone willing to swallow, but most will ignore and the circle jerk will continue.

EDIT: Damnit, he beat me by 2min.
      07-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #9
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
I would strongly suggest going with any tuner except ESS. Their 2nd hand customer support is very bad!
I would strongly suggest my neighbor's uncle's friend Curly Roy. He used to be a comic book salesman but I saw him replace a muffler once so I'm sure he can tune your $15k aftermarket boosted engine. He's so friendly and has a shiny website, you'll love him!
      07-09-2018, 03:19 PM   #10
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyzmi View Post
That would be far too sensible. People are too lazy or incapable of doing their own research so they go off circle jerk advice from people who are also incapable of proper research, or suffer from memory loss. It's almost as if this exact thread is posted multiple times a month with the same outcome.

At some point SYT_Shadow will come in to share some of his prescription-strength crazy pills with anyone willing to swallow, but most will ignore and the circle jerk will continue.

I tried to resist commenting on the thread

I'm going to start a company that sells nuclear sludge in 16oz cans for human consumption. I plan on providing GREAT support, answering emails in 15 minutes and calls 24/7. Based on the sampling from the forum, this should suffice to have plenty of fanboys
Appreciate 2
Mvy540.50
DrFerry6728.50
      07-09-2018, 03:21 PM   #11
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I tried to resist commenting on the thread
Same here brother, same here...

Quote:
I'm going to start a company that sells nuclear sludge in 16oz cans for human consumption. I plan on providing GREAT support, answering emails in 15 minutes and calls 24/7. Based on the sampling from the forum, this should suffice to have plenty of fanboys
I'll be your first customer!
      07-09-2018, 03:24 PM   #12
svinfinity
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Lazy or incapable? Let’s not resort to attacking or name calling. I’ve done my research which led me to seek potential options based on what i’ve read of ESS. Please jog my memory on these threads. I’m sorry we’re not all a perfect wealth of knowledge like you and its a shame individuals are insulted for seeking the best possible outcome for their car.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 03:43 PM   #13
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
It's always entertaining for people to use kits from company X and to get a tune from anyone other than them...
why is it entertaining? Do you really think ESS is building the SC from scratch. They are using same Vortech SC that most of another vendors use. Nothing Special with these kits.

I am actually surprised that a member like you with experience is asking this.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 04:06 PM   #14
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda View Post
why is it entertaining? Do you really think ESS is building the SC from scratch. They are using same Vortech SC that most of another vendors use. Nothing Special with these kits.

I am actually surprised that a member like you with experience is asking this.
I agree the ESS kit is not built 'from scratch'. None of the kits currently on the market is.

However, after selling ~2k kits, they may have an idea or two about how to tune for it. Is it safe to make that assumption?

I've expressed my thoughts previously, but I'll do it again: I think people are seriously misinformed to use a tune different than the kit manufacturer.

If I bought a Gintani kit I'd use their tune
If I bought a Harrop kit I'd use their tune
If I bought a AA kit I'd use their tune
If I bought a VF kit I'd use their tune
If I bought a Evolve kit I'd use their tune

etc etc

As it stands, the only supercharger I'd use is ESS and of course I'd use the ESS tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #15
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

I bought my 625 kit new so it came with the ESS tune but the car drives flawlessly. Exactly as stock until the upper rpm when the power comes on.

Then again many tuners such as BPM have tuned plenty of them so u cannot go wrong.

Tell gintani to screw off. That's an insane price to just send u a cable and a tune on a flash drive or email. Don't pay more than 1k for a tune. Even that price is steep.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #16
Iyzmi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by svinfinity View Post
Lazy or incapable? Let’s not resort to attacking or name calling. I’ve done my research which led me to seek potential options based on what i’ve read of ESS. Please jog my memory on these threads. I’m sorry we’re not all a perfect wealth of knowledge like you and its a shame individuals are insulted for seeking the best possible outcome for their car.
Rest assured I’m not attacking or name calling you specifically, so sorry your feelings got hurt. Cleary your research has been inadequate as this exact topic has been covered in great detail with all the known forum members pitching in their 2c many times. If you care enough, you will find what you are looking for. If not, you will happily purchase whatever tune gets mentioned most in this thread. Your car will run fine regardless and you won’t know any better. I’ve participated in too many of these threads and don’t care to spoon feed links anymore, especially as some of them are to sites this forum conveniently censors, yet are #1 results on google. It’s a shame not everybody can spend an hour of their time effectively looking through readily available info on a platform that’s been around for a decade before deciding who should provide software for their $15k engine + $6k supercharger.

I will happily see myself out as I don’t care to go deep on this topic yet again, nor to offend you any further. Best of luck to you OP.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #17
KCE92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: MW ZCP e92 G-Power SKII CS

Quote:
I agree the ESS kit is not built 'from scratch'. None of the kits currently on the market is.

However, after selling ~2k kits, they may have an idea or two about how to tune for it. Is it safe to make that assumption?

I've expressed my thoughts previously, but I'll do it again: I think people are seriously misinformed to use a tune different than the kit manufacturer.

If I bought a Gintani kit I'd use their tune
If I bought a Harrop kit I'd use their tune
If I bought a AA kit I'd use their tune
If I bought a VF kit I'd use their tune
If I bought a Evolve kit I'd use their tune

etc etc

As it stands, the only supercharger I'd use is ESS and of course I'd use the ESS tune.
G-Power kits are made from scratch
      07-09-2018, 04:23 PM   #18
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCE92 View Post
G-Power kits are made from scratch
I thought only Cracker Barrel's stuff was made from scratch. Now I'm hungry for some G-Power
Appreciate 2
Mvy540.50
DrFerry6728.50
      07-09-2018, 04:37 PM   #19
svinfinity
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Rest assured I’m not attacking or name calling you specifically, so sorry your feelings got hurt. Cleary your research has been inadequate as this exact topic has been covered in great detail with all the known forum members pitching in their 2c many times. If you care enough, you will find what you are looking for. If not, you will happily purchase whatever tune gets mentioned most in this thread. Your car will run fine regardless and you won’t know any better. I’ve participated in too many of these threads and don’t care to spoon feed links anymore, especially as some of them are to sites this forum conveniently censors, yet are #1 results on google. It’s a shame not everybody can spend an hour of their time effectively looking through readily available info on a platform that’s been around for a decade before deciding who should provide software for their $15k engine + $6k supercharger.

I will happily see myself out as I don’t care to go deep on this topic yet again, nor to offend you any further. Best of luck to you OP.
It seems you were triggered enough by my post to call people lazy and incapable. If you had nothing to contribute then why bother? If you feel you’ve participated in too many threads, then don’t. You’re too high on your pedestal to contribute now? I’m ashamed for you as this community has been nothing but a wealth of knowledge over the years and yet you’re on here to shit on others. You’re making assumptions on others you never met before over a post. It’d be interesting to see if you have this attitude in person.

‘“Cleary” my research is inadequate’
‘My car won’t run any better’

No need to contribute as you clack away at your keyboard for the most witty rebuttal you can come up with.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 04:50 AM   #20
Mvy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

OP, dont get all riled up about the replies. Its all in good fun. The basic answer is, the best tune for the kit you buy is the tune made for the kit you buy. Custom tunes have risks or costs that dont make them worthwhile. Why use a tune that was not intended specifically for what you bought? Why risk a custom tune to get a nominal gain but a blown motor? I have always been conservative in this decision, and others are encouraging the same for you.

Harrop Supercharger, BPM Tune, K/W Coil over kit, Stoptek BBK, Magnaflow exhaust, ear to ear grin everytime I drive...
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11479.50
DrFerry6728.50
      07-10-2018, 07:18 AM   #21
SVH
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i & 2011-e93 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvy View Post
OP, dont get all riled up about the replies. Its all in good fun. The basic answer is, the best tune for the kit you buy is the tune made for the kit you buy. Custom tunes have risks or costs that dont make them worthwhile. Why use a tune that was not intended specifically for what you bought? Why risk a custom tune to get a nominal gain but a blown motor? I have always been conservative in this decision, and others are encouraging the same for you.
You know, I agree with ya. But I just noticed your car has a Harrop. And a BPM tune. I know their kind of one and the same but....looks funny given the content of the post
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #22
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVH View Post
You know, I agree with ya. But I just noticed your car has a Harrop. And a BPM tune. I know their kind of one and the same but....looks funny given the content of the post
The Harrop kit is marketed by BPM, there is no other way to get it. So Mvy is putting his money where his mouth is
Appreciate 0