BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

11-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Wheel bolts shearing off?

Has anyone ever seen seen this before? Another guy on e90post had his wheel bolts shear off while he he was driving!

I'm guessing it's a combo of the bolt stretching and over torquing of "cheap" bolts? Scary.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=911197
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT

Scary.

But I didn't see a pic of the bolts. I guess they didn't sheer, but stripped instead and were simply pulled out and scattered? And it didn't sound like they were the OEM bolts.

I've used aftermarket bolts on a previous car from RAD, since I liked their wheel locks (which I also had) and they seemed well-made. They're not cheap, but they do come in the 2-piece variety. In fact, I inadventently stress-tested their wheel locks by failing to torque up my wheels at the track. One wheel came loose and was being held on entirely by the RAD lock, by the time I pulled over. After that, I bought better spacers (my shop used cheap spacers, which were part of the problem) and RAD 2-piece bolts.
      11-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Weird that he didn't notice any clunking or noise. It's hard to believe that all 5 just let go at once in regular driving. I had some lugs coming loose on my rear wheel one time, and I definitely got a little bit of noise from it. After it kept happening I went and checked and one lug was gone and a couple were loose.
      11-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben@tirerack View Post
Weird that he didn't notice any clunking or noise. It's hard to believe that all 5 just let go at once in regular driving. I had some lugs coming loose on my rear wheel one time, and I definitely got a little bit of noise from it. After it kept happening I went and checked and one lug was gone and a couple were loose.
This. I heard clunking in the incident I mentioned above (not my M3, FWIW) and then diagnosed similar clunking on a E46 330ci as loose wheel bolts at an AutoX event (!). Luckily, the owner listened to me and checked his wheel bolts before it was too late.

Now, about the E9x M3 - maybe the rear wheel hubs protrude far enough into the wheel that the wheel can't move much until the bolts disengage. But there shouldn've been at least some vibration.

Last edited by Drifty//; 11-14-2013 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

yes this happens quite regularly for us track guys. usually not 5 at once. i have less than a full season on my apex studs and one sheared off when torqueing the wheel couple weeks ago. my wheels and tires are on and off quite a bit. good to change them out pretty often just to be safe. im due for new set here during the off season. drilling the broken stud out and replacing isnt a fun task.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 02:12 AM   #6
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
yes this happens quite regularly for us track guys. usually not 5 at once. i have less than a full season on my apex studs and one sheared off when torqueing the wheel couple weeks ago. my wheels and tires are on and off quite a bit. good to change them out pretty often just to be safe. im due for new set here during the off season. drilling the broken stud out and replacing isnt a fun task.
Is that really normal?

Maybe I should switch to stronger wheel bolts. RAD bolts, perhaps?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastmike View Post
Is that really normal?

Maybe I should switch to stronger wheel bolts. RAD bolts, perhaps?
yes its normal. they have a relatively short life cycle when every time you drive the car the wheels are getting taken on and off at least twice. then in between drives they are on and off to clean the wheel and change pads. they take a lot of abuse. daily driving they will last for a very long time and no issue.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 01:55 PM   #8
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yes its normal. they have a relatively short life cycle
In that case, is it only the bolts that need replacing, or should one also replace the hubs?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty// View Post
In that case, is it only the bolts that need replacing, or should one also replace the hubs?
havent seen that done but good question. dont think the hub is considered a wear item unless in an accident.

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #10
fastmike
First Lieutenant
Rep

I noticed EAS recommends replacing their Macht Schnell extended wheel lugs every other track season. So I guess this is a wear item.

Good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert @ eas View Post

While the Macht Schnell Extended wheel Lugs are already included in our Competition Wheel Spacer kits, they should be replaced every other season depending on track use. All wheel fasteners are hardened and tempered to strength class 10.9 or 10 according to DIN/ISO standard 898. They meet the statutory requirements of all countries - including the USA.

All lugs feature a black plating process for OEM appearance.

Final inspections are not restricted to random quality checks. Every single fastener is tested to ensure compliance with specifications. Lugs are sold individually.

Quote:
yes its normal. they have a relatively short life cycle when every time you drive the car the wheels are getting taken on and off at least twice. then in between drives they are on and off to clean the wheel and change pads. they take a lot of abuse. daily driving they will last for a very long time and no issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #11
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I've used the same bolts on my 318i for 11 years, a total of 186,000 miles and autocrossed from 2001 to 2011. Each year I swapped Hoosiers on and off at least ten times a year and then the snow tire swap/juggle. Never had an issue save for rusty bolts. Granted the 318i was never a power delivering monster (the acceleration "gently caressed you into the seat"), but I did some aggressive autocrossing during that time.

I've run my 1M nearly 42,000 miles and 12 autocrosses in 2012 and 16 in 2013 (I did that many?!), plus snow tire swaps and a couple of rear tires (how'd that happen? ).

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #12
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

You've been lucky and would rather wait for disater to strike then spend couple hundred bucks on preventative maintenance? Also, Autocross is very different as well. Your not running continuously for 20 plus minutes and topping 100 mph several times a minute so not making nearly the heat or creating stress.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 07:02 PM   #13
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe

Quote:
You've been lucky and would rather wait for disater to strike then spend couple hundred bucks on preventative maintenance? Also, Autocross is very different as well. Your not running continuously for 20 plus minutes and topping 100 mph several times a minute so not making nearly the heat or creating stress.
+1 I would recommend changing them out once a year to be on the safe side.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #14
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

Could I trouble you guys to send me some new bolts then?

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes. I will surely learn a great deal today.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #15
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sparkle View Post
bolts or studs?
Either, if you track your car. If not then I wouldn't bother much unless you swap your wheels out often.
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #16
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Either, if you track your car. If not then I wouldn't bother much unless you swap your wheels out often.
i would assume that since i am starting to trailer my car and will have way fewer wheel changes my studs will last longer?

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #17
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i would assume that since i am starting to trailer my car and will have way fewer wheel changes my studs will last longer?
Now you will need to change the studs on your trailer.

I wish i had a trailer for my car, instead my wife and I live in it.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 05:19 PM   #18
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggynuts01 View Post
Now you will need to change the studs on your trailer.

I wish i had a trailer for my car, instead my wife and I live in it.
More likely tires. Doubt wheel studs on trailer are much of an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 05:39 PM   #19
mattm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives:

I've decided to change the bolts at each oil change.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #20
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattm View Post
I've decided to change the bolts at each oil change.
Good one, that would be every other month for me, sometimes sooner.
Appreciate 0