BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

01-12-2020, 07:37 AM   #1
TechE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, U11 X1

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Suspension From Scratch. Your Choice?

'08 E90 with EDC. Bought it lowered on H&R sport springs. Takes bumps quite harsh but also feels like it sits on rails. There's over 50k mi on the stock shocks so I'm looking to refresh the aged setup from square one.

Biggest question is do I spend the cash for an electronic replacement or go analog and code the error out? I'd be looking to save money rather than spend the extra on non-electronic. I love the idea of on the fly adjustments but probably won't use it all too much. I just want something confidence inspiring that won't feel like a wheel is going to fall off hitting bumps. Height adjustability is also a must.

I don't have a brand preference but have been looking at KW. The only experience I have with suspension components is just what I've read here. Any input of what you would choose and why would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
Captain Starbucks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

I'm in the exact same position. Subscribing for info only but I think I've narrowed it down to Ohlins R&T.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

I would do ohlins RT
on my evo i had kw v3 and they are not rebuildable. Ohlins are and the DFT system is much better in terms of performance
Appreciate 1
TechE90.00
      01-18-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
TechE
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
After reading more and more I think I've moved to either Ohlins or Bilstein. A HAS kit with stock shocks and dampers seemed like a solid path but since mine are pretty trashed it wouldn't make sense.

But I'm still undecided between EDC or non.. The B16 damptronic kit is real nice, but pricey. If not that, the most affordable B16 PSS10 or priced in the middle R&T set. I'd just have to commission somebody to code my car. From my little to no research, the Bilsteins seem to use the same hardware, so I assume the Ohlins is a tad superior.

Any solid contenders to these in anyone's opinion? Also, any comments on how these setups affect wheel fitment? I've seen rumors of spacers being required after..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #5
Captain Starbucks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 6MT

I would also like the Bilstein but my research has led me to believe they have been back ordered for over a year with no ETA in sight. What if you need parts?

Ohlins for me..
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 06:35 PM   #6
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Usaf View Post
'08 E90 with EDC. Bought it lowered on H&R sport springs. Takes bumps quite harsh but also feels like it sits on rails. There's over 50k mi on the stock shocks so I'm looking to refresh the aged setup from square one.

Biggest question is do I spend the cash for an electronic replacement or go analog and code the error out? I'd be looking to save money rather than spend the extra on non-electronic. I love the idea of on the fly adjustments but probably won't use it all too much. I just want something confidence inspiring that won't feel like a wheel is going to fall off hitting bumps. Height adjustability is also a must.

I don't have a brand preference but have been looking at KW. The only experience I have with suspension components is just what I've read here. Any input of what you would choose and why would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Same car and I'm going analog tomorrow. Just couldn't justify the cost and the wait for Bilstein to get their EDC OEM replacements out in April (currently back ordered). I bought HFC and xpipe from another member with the money I saved.

I went with Bilstein B8 shocks and B&G springs. It's my daily so I don't need anything too aggressive.

I've come to terms with losing the EDC, I may repurpose the button for exhaust cutouts in the future. I'll chime in on my impressions assuming everything goes well with the install.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 07:08 PM   #7
bvrider1
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90 m3 + f80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throatpunch View Post
I would do ohlins RT
on my evo i had kw v3 and they are not rebuildable. Ohlins are and the DFT system is much better in terms of performance
The kw v3 have a life time warranty. What do you mean that
They are not rebuildable?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 12:11 AM   #8
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

I had KW Clubsports and they were not a lifetime warranty. They don't have warranty to begin with since they are track-oriented.

Most Coilover builders don't rebuild KW either cause the parts are proprietary, like the spherical bearing in the camber adjustment plates. They wear out and you can't replace them, you gotta get a whole new top mount.

The screws on the top-mount tend to seize up all the time and you can easily strip them. I had to get mine retapped and the screws from KW were not cheap!

The brands likes JRZ, Ohlins, Motons all have more available parts. There are a few other brands I know I am missing but I'm going to stay away from KW for now. They are great when they work but PITA when you need service.

I had Bilstein PSS10s also and Bilstien USA denied my warranty claims saying that the (snow) weather contributed to the failure of the coilovers.

My M3 is a daily driver and I think I will be sticking to shocks from now on.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 08:04 AM   #9
TechE
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I should state that my M3 is a weekend warrior.

And I've added a new contender to the list. For the price, the ISC N1 and it's features is too attractive to not consider. BW recommendation solidifies that for me. I'd love to hear any comparisons between it and OEM.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 08:32 AM   #10
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post
The kw v3 have a life time warranty. What do you mean that
They are not rebuildable?
Thats a warranty against build defects. Once they are worn after 30-40k miles you cannot get them serviced and revalved.

Thats what KW told me but that was for my evo

Last edited by Throatpunch; 01-19-2020 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 05:08 PM   #11
bvrider1
Captain
Rep

It's an old post but see post number 6.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=927619

Quote:
Thats a warranty against build defects. Once they are worn after 30-40k miles you cannot get them serviced and revalved.

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 03:02 AM   #12
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Yup its a huge hit or miss with KW. Some people have gotten lucky and had their V3s rebuilt, others have just thrown them out.
KW has huge restructuring in their business in the states, the rep that I dealt with was gone after a few months.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #13
bvrider1
Captain
Rep

Instead of speculating I just received this email from KW.
This is specifically asking about the V3 coil overs.

Thank you for contacting KW automotive customer support. you have a lifetime warranty if you are the original purchaser of the kit. It doesn’t matter how long you own the coilovers. When a seal breaks and fluid starts to leak you are eligible for a warranty rebuild.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #14
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvrider1 View Post
Instead of speculating I just received this email from KW.
This is specifically asking about the V3 coil overs.

Thank you for contacting KW automotive customer support. you have a lifetime warranty if you are the original purchaser of the kit. It doesn’t matter how long you own the coilovers. When a seal breaks and fluid starts to leak you are eligible for a warranty rebuild.
Screenshot the email. That would be good proof for those struggling to get warranty/rebuilds their V3s.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #15
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

I have the Ohlins R/T with ground Control camber plates and I am really happy with mine. Both street and track time they have held up well. I recommend Ohlins.

The KW V series has a lifetime warranty but any track setup has no warranty.

Taken from their site.

Street Coilovers , Variant 1, Variant 2, Variant 3, Street Comfort – Limited Lifetime Warrantee
Bushings, Bump stops and Ball Joints - 1 Year
Club Sport Coilovers, 2 way Race Coilovers, 3 way Race Coilovers – No warrantee.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
TechE90.00
      01-21-2020, 09:15 AM   #16
ghostofsenna
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, E93 M3, E91 328xi, S4

How many miles do coil overs last? Would they be a shorter or longer lifespan than OEM components?
2007 Audi B7 S4, 6sp, Sprint Blue
Sold: E70 X5M, E46 M3 6sp cabriolet, E46 M3 SMG
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2020, 10:33 PM   #17
TechE
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostofsenna View Post
How many miles do coil overs last? Would they be a shorter or longer lifespan than OEM components?
It's entirely subjective to the wear and tear of how you drive. They're also just as prone to any potential pre-mature failure.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 03:31 AM   #18
TechE
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Just thought I'd provide an update. I was very tempted to go with the Ohlins R&T, but selected the Bilstein B16 Damptronic instead. Guess I wanted to keep the EDC going after all. I do believe the Ohlins is more capable, but I don't think I'll miss out on much at my level of driving. I won't be around for delivery in 10 or so weeks (lol), but will review it to the best of my ability when I get it installed, in around 4 months (again, lol). The wait will be the hardest part.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 05:18 PM   #19
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Just thought I'd provide an update. I was very tempted to go with the Ohlins R&T, but selected the Bilstein B16 Damptronic instead. Guess I wanted to keep the EDC going after all. I do believe the Ohlins is more capable, but I don't think I'll miss out on much at my level of driving. I won't be around for delivery in 10 or so weeks (lol), but will review it to the best of my ability when I get it installed, in around 4 months (again, lol). The wait will be the hardest part.
The B16s were legit the most comfortable set of coil overs I ever owned.
However, they didn't hold up well in the winter here in Canada, which sucked.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:52 PM   #20
TechE
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
The B16s were legit the most comfortable set of coil overs I ever owned.
However, they didn't hold up well in the winter here in Canada, which sucked.
Anything you can eleborate on? I always appreciate first hand feedback. Mine will only see weekend mileage, so I expect it to hold up for my duration of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 01:13 AM   #21
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Anything you can eleborate on? I always appreciate first hand feedback. Mine will only see weekend mileage, so I expect it to hold up for my duration of ownership.
You won't have an issue, they just didn't hold up in the winters as our roads are salted here in Toronto. The salt ate through the seals and external finish on the shocks.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:49 AM   #22
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Did you actually manage to secure a set? People have been after these for forever and it seems like even when a vendor says they have a set or you can get new ones that it turns out Bilstein doesn't actually have any.
Appreciate 0