BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-26-2020, 01:40 AM   #1123
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
I think you might have Version 1?

Anyways, I ended up running the included aftermarket mic to my OEM mic location and running the AUX now. At least I will have Siri and Nav directions. Music is slightly poorer on Aux but I am messing with AUX gain + EQ to see if I can get close to the OE BT Audio quality.
Yeah I have v1. Was chatting with Michael about trading it in for the newer unit, but I got busy and lazy and sort of forgot about it for ages.

I only do about 5000km per year in it (based on 2 yrs ownership), plus driving even less with the COVID situation, so what I’ve got works well enough. As I said before, the updates fixed the connectivity issues, which was my main concern.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #1124
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

I experimented quite a bit with the EQ settings between BT and AUX. I just setup shortcuts to switch between BT and AUX, would play the same track and switch back and forth, making minor adjustments along the way until I got to the point where the difference between the two was minimal. I'm happy with it at this point.

Here are my EQ settings on my '12 E93 M3 with S752 (Individual Audio). I primarily listen to electronic music. Note that I'm using the carplay EQ settings which Beemr posted a couple of pages back.

If anybody has any suggestions for improvements, please post them!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Beemr7.50
      07-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #1125
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

I will need to do the same with HiFi
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 01:45 AM   #1126
LT2424E90M3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E90 2009

i have a few questions for KREMERSINO group..

i have my unit temporarily installed in mt glove box so i can add a rear view camera and test some other things out, is the unit supposed to be powered on all the time? it stays warm and the red led is always on...

just curious if anybody has noticed that it stays on...

Leo
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #1127
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT2424E90M3 View Post

i have my unit temporarily installed in mt glove box so i can add a rear view camera and test some other things out, is the unit supposed to be powered on all the time? it stays warm and the red led is always on...

Leo
Yes, I've noticed this as well. The carplay unit "wakes up" when you do something as simple as open a door, unlock the car, etc. Sometimes if I go into the garage just to grab something out of the car, I'll notice the carplay box wakes up and connects to my iphone.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #1128
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:

Leo

It tends to wakeup when the rest of the modules wakeup with a simple action of a door opening. The modules usually don't sleep for awhile until a door is closed or locked.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2020, 04:25 PM   #1129
Rod_R
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335is

Hi All, been following this thread for awhile appreciate Derbo & BrettCP as well as others updating this thread and sharing their experiences. Been wanting to jump on the Kremersino unit. I installing it in a 2011 E93 I’m a android user with a S9+ so its looks like there are no issues with wireless connection and some are able to get the sound quality is close to BT (I recently did the combox upgrade on my car). From the comments it also looks like the issues can be fixed via firmware upgrades. So my question with the issues that are still pending are those of you that have this unit happy with the product and the response as a whole from Kremersino. Just looking to pull the trigger on this. Thanks for any input you may have.

They have a few units on their site but this looks to be the unit that everyone is points to “new version” Wireless Apple CarPlay Android Auto Retrofit @ $318 not sure what the difference is from the “Mirror Wireless Apple CarPlay AndroidAuto Retrofit” @258 maybe the wireless capabilities.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...31824c4dOr0g2l
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 10:15 PM   #1130
LT2424E90M3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 E90 2009

i went with 318 version, new user, happy so far, still getting used to it, ill update my experience once i get the rear camera installed. and have played with a little longer. i have used music and waze through the aux input and am happy with the sound quality. i will try the EQ settings on here to see if it makes a difference
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2020, 11:10 PM   #1131
Rod_R
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i went with 318 version, new user, happy so far, still getting used to it, ill update my experience once i get the rear camera installed. and have played with a little longer. i have used music and waze through the aux input and am happy with the sound quality. i will try the EQ settings on here to see if it makes a difference
Hey thanks for the heads up. I'm actually running the emulator from this other thread pretty happy with it.
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...005301&page=58
It was mentioned in this thread earlier that you can use it in conjunction so you would not have to wait until the system booted up. Thanks again for the reply.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #1132
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod_R View Post
Hi All, been following this thread for awhile appreciate Derbo & BrettCP as well as others updating this thread and sharing their experiences. Been wanting to jump on the Kremersino unit. I installing it in a 2011 E93 I’m a android user with a S9+ so its looks like there are no issues with wireless connection and some are able to get the sound quality is close to BT (I recently did the combox upgrade on my car). From the comments it also looks like the issues can be fixed via firmware upgrades. So my question with the issues that are still pending are those of you that have this unit happy with the product and the response as a whole from Kremersino. Just looking to pull the trigger on this. Thanks for any input you may have.

They have a few units on their site but this looks to be the unit that everyone is points to “new version” Wireless Apple CarPlay Android Auto Retrofit @ $318 not sure what the difference is from the “Mirror Wireless Apple CarPlay AndroidAuto Retrofit” @258 maybe the wireless capabilities.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...31824c4dOr0g2l

$258 box

Tbh, I'm not sure what the differences are. It looks like I have the $258 model since the harness has an external mic 3.5mm input. I can't really confirm that since the menu doesn't show the UI outside of the ACP/AA UIs.

## Versioning for Wireless Carplay units from Kremersino

Version 2, While I believe brettcp and I got version 2, we do not seem to have the new updated OEM mic harness that splits the OEM mic. That said, I am in talks with Michael to see if this new harness with the OEM mic splitter works with our unit.

Version 1, which I also had, is wireless carplay with AUX and external mic as their output/input options.

I do hope the new version 2 with the OEM mic splitter works better for the mic! That would make this a pretty solid setup even if I have to use AUX as the output. Once this is solved, I'm done with ACP for awhile..lol
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #1133
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Once this is solved, I'm done with ACP for awhile..lol
...until v3 comes out
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 11:58 AM   #1134
Rod_R
United_States
Rep

Quote:
$258 box

Tbh, I'm not sure what the differences are. It looks like I have the $258 model since the harness has an external mic 3.5mm input. I can't really confirm that since the menu doesn't show the UI outside of the ACP/AA UIs.

## Versioning for Wireless Carplay units from Kremersino

Version 2, While I believe brettcp and I got version 2, we do not seem to have the new updated OEM mic harness that splits the OEM mic. That said, I am in talks with Michael to see if this new harness with the OEM mic splitter works with our unit.

Version 1, which I also had, is wireless carplay with AUX and external mic as their output/input options.

I do hope the new version 2 with the OEM mic splitter works better for the mic! That would make this a pretty solid setup even if I have to use AUX as the output. Once this is solved, I'm done with ACP for awhile..lol
I saw your post on the chronological order of versions and that was a big help trying to figure out what the versions issues/fixes were. I sent a messeage thry AliExpress regarding the two versions available for the CIC units along with the mic harness question. I'll see what they come back with.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #1135
Rod_R
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
...until v3 comes out
Yea it seems you both have been plugging away at this for some time. Again I'm an android user so experience will be different.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #1136
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettcp View Post
...until v3 comes out
The only way V3 will be better, is if it doesn't use AUX at ALL, and all purely BT from the Combox. If that can ACTUALLY happen, then I will do it.

I've gone through a few units already...
  1. wired carplay (joyauto..but it was done by kremersino as the real manufacturer)
  2. Wireless carplay with bad audio
  3. Wireless carplay unit with the PCB from the wired one to have better audio again
  4. Wireless Carplay Combox (Version2)

Version 2 has an updated harness for OEM mic splitter now so that adds to more installation changes again...lol

#Betatesting for them...
Appreciate 2
SlimE92185.50
PACarGuy677.50
      07-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #1137
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I saw your post on the chronological order of versions and that was a big help trying to figure out what the versions issues/fixes were. I sent a messeage thry AliExpress regarding the two versions available for the CIC units along with the mic harness question. I'll see what they come back with.
Hopefully they give you a better idea what the differences is. The timezone and language barrier is sometimes a challenge but they have been pretty good with the support.

Yea, I've gone done the rabbit hole of trying to achieve the best factory-like ACP from this car. After feeling what OE ACP feels like in my Honda Civic, it made me want it in my M3 even though I don't really need it besides for music and just staring at Gmaps during backroad driving.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 03:41 AM   #1138
Rod_R
United_States
Rep

They got back to me and its pretty interesting:

hello sir,

Thank you very much for your message
yes, there are 2 version box for BMW. V1 is not support OEM microphone, but now its have DSP chip which make best audio quality in market. and we are the only ONE manufacturer use this chip
it can improve car audio quality much
also version one support AHD camera type. AHD support all kinds of rear camera formet. also best displaying quality
version 1 is this link
Production Information
Mirror Wireless Apple CarPlay AndroidAuto Retrofit for BMW 5/6/7 Series E60 E61 E63 E65 E66 F10 F18 F12 F01 F02 SIRI Airplay
US $258.00

this one
version 2 box, support OEM microphone, also very good audio quality. support wireless android auto compare to version 1
this links is v2
Production Information
Wireless Apple CarPlay Android Auto Retrofit for BMW 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 X1/X3/X4/X5/X6/Z4/I3/I8/M3/M4/M5/M6 Mirroring OEM Microphone
US $318.00
00:34

ME - So does the version v2 go have the same DSP chip and go thru Bluetooth or does it still use the AUX jack. I am going to be using it for Android Auto only not Apple. Trying to decide what is best for me. Samsung S9+ user.
00:56

version 2 have no DSP chip, and also enable bluetooth connection.
Both versions, we suggest to use AUX jack, just V2 can not use AUX if customer don't want to.
I strongely recommend you to try version 1 box, I think its best now
anyway, depend on you
for US, we will ship via DHL or Fedex, delivery time is 3--5 days
01:13

Audio quality is best now on V1

ME- Thank you for the info is there any plans to update the V2 with the new DSP chip

no possibility, as there are totally 2 different design

So as brettcp mentioned sounds like V3 will be made down the road.

Last edited by Rod_R; 07-30-2020 at 04:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 06:02 AM   #1139
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Can you share the link to the v1 box Rod_R?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 10:24 AM   #1140
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They got back to me and its pretty interesting:

hello sir,

Thank you very much for your message
yes, there are 2 version box for BMW. V1 is not support OEM microphone, but now its have DSP chip which make best audio quality in market. and we are the only ONE manufacturer use this chip
it can improve car audio quality much
also version one support AHD camera type. AHD support all kinds of rear camera formet. also best displaying quality
version 1 is this link
Production Information
Mirror Wireless Apple CarPlay AndroidAuto Retrofit for BMW 5/6/7 Series E60 E61 E63 E65 E66 F10 F18 F12 F01 F02 SIRI Airplay
US $258.00

this one
version 2 box, support OEM microphone, also very good audio quality. support wireless android auto compare to version 1
this links is v2
Production Information
Wireless Apple CarPlay Android Auto Retrofit for BMW 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 X1/X3/X4/X5/X6/Z4/I3/I8/M3/M4/M5/M6 Mirroring OEM Microphone
US $318.00
00:34

ME - So does the version v2 go have the same DSP chip and go thru Bluetooth or does it still use the AUX jack. I am going to be using it for Android Auto only not Apple. Trying to decide what is best for me. Samsung S9+ user.
00:56

version 2 have no DSP chip, and also enable bluetooth connection.
Both versions, we suggest to use AUX jack, just V2 can not use AUX if customer don't want to.
I strongely recommend you to try version 1 box, I think its best now
anyway, depend on you
for US, we will ship via DHL or Fedex, delivery time is 3--5 days
01:13

Audio quality is best now on V1

ME- Thank you for the info is there any plans to update the V2 with the new DSP chip

no possibility, as there are totally 2 different design

So as brettcp mentioned sounds like V3 will be made down the road.
I think the v2 Bluetooth functionality didn't work out as well as they had intended and its resulted in a lot of support issues on their side. Suggesting the v1 eliminates Bluetooth and this support overhead. As others have noted, they did fix the "flat" AUX audio issue a while back on their current versions.

As far as audio quality is concerned, the v2 carplay AUX sounds just the same as any other source I plug into the BMW AUX port. Its not quite as good as BT quality (no matter what the source is), but with some EQ adjustments its very close.

I'd be curious to know if their "new" DSP on the v1 unit provides any noticeable improvement given that you're still connecting it to BMW's 2 channel stereo AUX input. These units all seem to be coming down in price and more widely available, some are now being sold via amazon prime now.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 10:59 AM   #1141
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Also keep in mind that version 2 without the AUX will require a COMBOX to run.

I retrofitted the COMBOX in hopes it would be ideal but clearly that didn't work out. Funny cause I have an early 2011 and the only main differences between the 2011.5 was the COMBOX which now I happen to have installed..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 03:18 PM   #1142
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
Can you share the link to the v1 box Rod_R?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001...31035d87wwqewc
Appreciate 1
MJBO2610.00
      07-30-2020, 03:51 PM   #1143
Rod_R
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Also keep in mind that version 2 without the AUX will require a COMBOX to run.

I retrofitted the COMBOX in hopes it would be ideal but clearly that didn't work out. Funny cause I have an early 2011 and the only main differences between the 2011.5 was the COMBOX which now I happen to have installed..
I actually did the Combox upgrade December as I was frustrated I could receive calls but not listen to music via Bluetooth. Which is why I'm resisting getting tethered via the USB port For Android Auto.

Last edited by Rod_R; 08-03-2020 at 02:52 AM..
Appreciate 2
derbo3605.50
SlimE92185.50
      07-30-2020, 05:12 PM   #1144
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
I actually did the Combox upgrade December as I was frustrated I could receive calls but not listen to music via Bluetooth. Which is why I'm resisting getting tethered via the Aux port.
FWIW,

I think the behavior of Carplay will refuse to use the BT properly. Apple will use "Carplay" as the output for Siri/Navgiation and from what I can tell that is how ACP operates. I'll read more up on the Carplay developer notes but I think no matter what using the AUX is the only way to get seamless Siri/Navigation that is consistent.

Did you do a quadlock extension for the DIY rear view camera? Version 1 seems to use a quad-lock harness that could add some extra mess to tuck in.

Last edited by derbo; 07-30-2020 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0