BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #23
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
I never said the r8 is a bad car. But as far as gearboxes i prefer manual anyway. The r8 is based on the gallardo chassis and frame and even the v10 is a detuned gallardo motor. So in a way the r8 is a budget gallardo for people who cant afford the real thing. The gallardo is still way better as a car and as a prestigious brand and status symbol.

And yes the 911 did start life as a higher performance beetl. Google it for yourself
Did you live in a cave(with no internet) for the past 50 years!!?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 04:34 AM   #24
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggs View Post
Dude the R8 is NOT bought by people who cant afford the Gallardo. Plenty of my friends who own R8s have enough money to buy whatever car they wish, and even own multiple supercars. They are different cars in many ways. The R8 is for people who want a practical beautifully designed daily driver super car without the "look at me" factor of a Lambo. People who dont own a Lambo or a Gallardo, like you, say shit like that because they have no idea what they're talking about.
Yeah that guy has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. I was about to pull the trigger on a lp-560 but came to my senses after I drove the r8 v10. Much better all arounder and with an apr tune will outperform most gallardo variants.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:28 AM   #25
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I drove a 09 Gallardo 3 weeks ago and aldo it was really fun, it was also pretty disapointing, for two major reasons, one being the transmission and the other being the interior which I though looked cheap for a car of that price! It is a cool car but if it were my money, there are 3 options that would defenetly get my attention instead of a used Gallardo, not necessarily in that order;

Attachment 865409

Attachment 865410

Attachment 865411
What tranny was the Gallardo you test drove Alex?
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #26
CSanto
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BSM/SO M3

Quote:
I drove a 09 Gallardo 3 weeks ago and aldo it was really fun, it was also pretty disapointing, for two major reasons, one being the transmission and the other being the interior which I though looked cheap for a car of that price! It is a cool car but if it were my money, there are 3 options that would defenetly get my attention instead of a used Gallardo, not necessarily in that order;
These are definitely in the price range of "above a 991 C2S but below a 458/MP4"
And if given this amount of money i'd have a hard time choosing between the three..R8 V10 plus or 991 Turbo Mmmm
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 08:47 AM   #27
Giggs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
Yeah that guy has absolutely no idea what he is talking about. I was about to pull the trigger on a lp-560 but came to my senses after I drove the r8 v10. Much better all arounder and with an apr tune will outperform most gallardo variants.
Let me know once you buy it we've got a great group of R8 owners around here and do events together all the time. Ps good choice!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #28
TheYoungConnoisseur
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Your car at the track

Gallardos are fun for a few weeks but will tire you out if you plan to drive it more than 5k miles a yr. E gear is just like the smg in the older M's. Acceptable if you only drive "spiritedly" unacceptable if you don't.

If your spending around 180 consider a DBS or 599
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:37 AM   #29
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Quote:

Attachment 865409

Attachment 865410

Attachment 865411
Audi R8 = Poor Mans Lambo & R8 is a terrible car.
Ive owned a 08 Gallardo Convertible and it was the best car i have ever driven.
Plus it is a HUGE step up from an M3. The GT3 However will end up like the older ones in a few years, great but not like a Lambo with it's timeless looks and sexy exotic body. yes the GT3 might be faster, but the experience of owning Lambo is crazy and i loved it. hopefully if things turn out good in the future, so i would be able to pick up a LP640 Convertible.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #30
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:

Attachment 865409

Attachment 865410

Attachment 865411
What tranny was the Gallardo you test drove Alex?
It was a tiptronic, a nice kick in the butt at each gear change but a bit slow between the shifts and not so smooth on normal driving! Not a bad tranny but I would'nt want one in my +$200k car!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #31
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz
Quote:

Attachment 865409

Attachment 865410

Attachment 865411
Plus it is a HUGE step up from an M3. The GT3 However will end up like the older ones in a few years, great but not like a Lambo with it's timeless looks and sexy exotic body. yes the GT3 might be faster, but the experience of owning Lambo is crazy and i loved it. hopefully if things turn out good in the future, so i would be able to pick up a LP640 Convertible.
Don't think the words "poor" and "R8" goes in the same sentence! In fact the R8 may be cheaper to buy but I personnally find it to look more quality built! I've always loved Audis and if I had the choice between the 2 no matter the budget I'd go for the R8!

The 09 Gallardo I drove was a convertible with roof down and Tubi exhaust, it was a real fun to drive but not really more then my 580hp M3! Even the owner of the Gallardo found my car to be more fun(mostly because of powerslides ). I take nothing from the Gallardo but at almost $100k less I think the R8 gives you a lot more for your money, plus you don't look as cocky driving in the Audi(here in Quebec, even in my M3 I get too much attention for my taste)!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #32
dhalem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post

The Gallardo convertible shines on the roads of southern france, or the streets of Miami, the GT3 belongs on the track. Different flavors...
Exactly. I don't want a track car, so GT3 doesn't appeal to me. I want a car that looks awesome and drives well on the street. Something that excites me the way I used to be excited when I read the car mags in the 80s when I was a teen.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #33
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz View Post
You sir have no idea what your talking about. I suggest you keep quiet before you make any more moronic statements. R8's top out at nearly 200k, suggesting its a poor mans gallardo is simply moronic. Like I said in my previous post, before buying my r8 I was about to purchase an lp560 but found the r8 to be a much better overall car. Referring to the r8 as a terrible car only shows your lack of experience with exotic and expensive cars. I used to own a 997.2 gt3 and would take my r8 over that any day of the week and that's coming from someone who cherishes gt3's.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #34
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me know once you buy it we've got a great group of R8 owners around here and do events together all the time. Ps good choice!
I bought my r8 back in November. That sounds great, would you pm me with details? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #35
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep

Ive driven the Audi R8 V10 and it was terrible, it didn't feel special at all, its just another Audi. The R8 will never have the legacy like the Lambo. Plus at the end of the day if your driving an Audi it's just an Audi, rather than a Lambo.

Porsche has great cars, i have had many
2005 Turbo, 2006 Turbo, 993 C2S Cab, Panno 4, 993 CS & GTS.

If i were buying a car in that price range, i would honestly walk pass Audi like it's a honda dealer and step into a legit sports car like a Lambo or a Porsche. Both companies satisfy me, that is why i want another Lambo in the future, i am talking from experience.

This is all rather opinion but thats what i have to say.

Last edited by MTrezzz; 05-22-2013 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #36
KKM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Statements like these makes it really hard to have a normal discussion. It just doesn't help your case, in fact, it discredits you right away.
Bingo!
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #37
F1Venom
Banned
Rep
Drives: ZCP E90 M3

Lambo and Ferrari are Supercars and they're pretty expensive. Zondas are hyper-cars which cost +$1 million. Ferrari 458 Italias and 430 Scuderias, and Lamborghini LP-560/70-4 (570 is the Superleggera) are the best super cars in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 12:25 PM   #38
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Statements like these makes it really hard to have a normal discussion. It just doesn't help your case, in fact, it discredits you right away.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #39
Majin Buu
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 01:37 PM   #40
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalem View Post
Exactly. I don't want a track car, so GT3 doesn't appeal to me. I want a car that looks awesome and drives well on the street. Something that excites me the way I used to be excited when I read the car mags in the 80s when I was a teen.
You DO NOT need to track a GT3 for it to excite you. That car is exciting doing 30 down a city street. That's why many describe it as raw, you don't need to necessarily break the speed limit for it to get your blood pumping.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #41
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Ive driven the Audi R8 V10 and it was terrible, it didn't feel special at all, its just another Audi. The R8 will never have the legacy like the Lambo. Plus at the end of the day if your driving an Audi it's just an Audi, rather than a Lambo.

Porsche has great cars, i have had many
2005 Turbo, 2006 Turbo, 993 C2S Cab, Panno 4, 993 CS & GTS.

If i were buying a car in that price range, i would honestly walk pass Audi like it's a honda dealer and step into a legit sports car like a Lambo or a Porsche. Both companies satisfy me, that is why i want another Lambo in the future, i am talking from experience.

This is all rather opinion but thats what i have to say.
Among all the other dumb stuff you have posted, I like the bold part.

Why you ask? Because there is no such thing as a 2006 911 turbo.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #42
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
I moved to an R8 and don't miss the M3 one bit. Totally different car and totally different ownership experience. Make sure you research cost of ownership before you make the jump and make sure you buy a warranty. Fixes on these car aren't cheap - they make M3 maintenance seem like its nothing

A couple of my buddies who have R8s switched to the Gallardo and switched right back to the R8. They said the Gallardo was a great car but it wasn't practical nor was it nearly as reliable.
Great points. Thanks. I was looking at the R8 as well but like several posters have said it was a poster car for years. I totally agree with the entire ownership cost, insurance and being looked at. I am not into the "fishbowl" thing at all but at the same time I currently reside in a state where the crime is very low, cost of living is about the same as California. Which isn't that great. Plus not a lot of people living here. But remember, no sales tax does help a little as well as other things.

Last edited by Endless619; 05-22-2013 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #43
Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Weird statement and I disagree regarding the R8.

I think Lambo's cater to a specific crowd. I've driven the Gallardo a couple of times and was underwhelmed. It is an incredible car no doubt, but I found it really didn't involve me much as a driver, it is more of a show piece.

The GT3 needs to be mastered, and will involve the driver x10 more, but that is not ever body's cup of tea of course. You can drive most modern lambos flat-out balls to the wall without much skill. Again, that is not a bad thing.

The Gallardo convertible shines on the roads of southern france, or the streets of Miami, the GT3 belongs on the track. Different flavors...
Good points again. I am looking for performance, looks, and some reliability. I know reliability is not what you look for with these types of vehicles which makes the Audi R8 very appealing.

I don't think the R8 is a poor mans anything. lol In reality the Audi R8 is considered an upper middle class sports car.

I have never been a Porsche fan at all. Can't get past their looks. It's just not me. HOWEVER, the one Porsche I would kill for would be a 2003 Porsche Carrera GT all blacked out. Way out of my price range though.

Last edited by Endless619; 05-23-2013 at 10:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #44
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep

Cayenne dude aha
Appreciate 0