BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

08-03-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

Cornering Instability. Need Help

I hope I can get some help on this. I noticed today on a back road with sweeping right and lefts. I was pushing a little hard. Noticed that the car wouldn't stay steady.

The car had a slight what I would call yaw. Under power it wasn't as bad. I could feel it more if i was sort of coasting through the corner.

Could this be worn bushing.

This happened with the stock suspension. It still happens with the JRZ RS One Coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

I would look at control arm bushings as well as sway bar bushings to see if they're worn. How many miles do you have on them? If it's up there then it's probably time to replace components possibly.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 06:15 PM   #3
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Was the road surface uneven? If yes then get solid rear subframe bushings.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 09:28 PM   #4
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

As noted, check all bushings. But you should be checking bushings 3x/year anyway.

You might consider chalking your tires and make sure they aren't rolling over. Which tires/pressures?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

As with any handling or suspension problem, you need to be sequential in the evaluation until you find the problem. My approach.

1) Check the tire pressures, if the rears are low you will get the sensation you are reporting. We are assuming you are running good quality tires. If you're running Kuhmo or something like that, then all bets are off.
2) If you are pushing and near the limit of adhesion, which I don't think is a good idea on public roads, and you are "coasting" you are unloading the rear wheels and adding more grip to the fronts, that will also create a yaw motion or what most of us would call oversteer. If you've ever come into a tight decreasing radius corner a bit hot, sometimes all you need to do is get off the gas to have the rear end come around until you lined up with the apex, apply throttle and then grip comes back to the rear and you've on your way.
3) Check alignment- If you have any toe out, the rear of the car will want to oversteer into corners. Quick example. Driving my friend's GT350 at Roebling road and normally this car has fantastic grip (running Cup2s), but every time I get into hardly any throttle at all in the corner the rear end steps out. Find out later, rear had toe out. This is the opposite of your situation (off throttle).
4) Worn out bushings- Maybe, and yes it's worth checking. I just replaced my rear subframe bushings at 142,000 miles and they looked great and this car has seen a lot of track use.
5) Any history of accident damage? Less likely but might be informative if something ever happened to the back.
6) Shocks are in good shape? Worn or poorly performing shocks will also create some uncomfortable and funny instability at speed.
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11479.50
dparm3849.50