BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

08-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #1
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Talking Active Autowerke VS Challenge X-Pipe - With HFC

Considering purchasing a new X-Pipe and I was wondering if anyone has experience with both the AA-HFC and Challenge-Sport X-Pipes. (I did search, found some limited information)

My current setup is stock X-Pipe with Dinan rear section. I have tried test pipes and I liked the sound but not the smell when starting my car inside my garage. I guess I was a bit of a princess...

Alas, I have moved and situations have changed. I also feel the itch for a proper X-Pipe to get the most out of my M3 (I already have access to a good Stage II tune). I would like to avoid excess drone.

Anyway, any thoughts on these 2 setups? I have read that the HFC location closer to the secondary cat location is a benefit for power production and is less prone to speed bump damage as the round cats fit better in that location. Not terribly concerned with HFC efficiency

I have found some videos of the AA-HFC with Dinan pipes, but I have not found a video of the Challenge-Sport + Dinan pipes. Anyone have a good video of that?

Thanks again for your comments and suggestions.

Cheers,
Attached Images

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
Teerump
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘09 Alpine White E92 M3

I too am considering this. I have a Dinan catless xpipe and looking to swap to a catted xpipe.
Appreciate 1
      08-30-2019, 06:58 AM   #3
BimmerPaul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E92M3 Competition

Bump. Would like to know also
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

The cats being in the secondary position on the challenge will not be as efficient as the active x pipe. I have heard them both and to me they both sound the same, the only reason I would go with the challenge is because about every active one has dented cats. They hang down really obviously from a side shot of the car.
The "X" isnt as nice on the active either but they do use V band clamps, not sure why challenge doesnt because over time the gaskets always start to leak.
L4ces337.00
      08-30-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki00 View Post
The cats being in the secondary position on the challenge will not be as efficient as the active x pipe. I have heard them both and to me they both sound the same, the only reason I would go with the challenge is because about every active one has dented cats. They hang down really obviously from a side shot of the car.
The "X" isnt as nice on the active either but they do use V band clamps, not sure why challenge doesnt because over time the gaskets always start to leak.
Thanks.

I ended up ordering a Challenge (RKP) Sport version. Did some digging and I also found that a lot of the AA owners mentioned the low hanging cats. Being I live in Canada where we have a special fetish with ridiculously bad roads, I want to make sure I do not install something that will get torn off...

As for the gaskets, I guess I will just replace them when they leak. I have a QuickJack so at least it is not terribly difficult for me to levitate the car.

Cheers,

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 12:48 PM   #6
Adrian g.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: German

Here you go; hopefully the link works.

https://flic.kr/p/2h7VmGt
Appreciate 1
Scharbag2619.00
      08-30-2019, 01:06 PM   #7
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Funny, i have Dinan mufflers with Evolve catted X-pipe, and want to switch to a non-catted dual resonated X-pipe. I find that while the catted X-pipe does help a little bit with smell (only works when cats are very hot), i think i like to sound better with a dual resonated X-pipe in front of the Dinan mufflers.
E92M3GT101.00
      08-30-2019, 01:13 PM   #8
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Funny, i have Dinan mufflers with Evolve catted X-pipe, and want to switch to a non-catted dual resonated X-pipe. I find that while the catted X-pipe does help a little bit with smell (only works when cats are very hot), i think i like to sound better with a dual resonated X-pipe in front of the Dinan mufflers.
I had tried test pipes - liked the sound but not the smell. As I said, princess inside me complained in my garage... New city, no garage right now. I do not want overly loud and raspy. I will try this X-Pipe and if I hate it, I will sell it. Here is hopping I like it!!

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 08:47 AM   #9
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #10
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Quote:
I had tried test pipes - liked the sound but not the smell. As I said, princess inside me complained in my garage... New city, no garage right now. I do not want overly loud and raspy. I will try this X-Pipe and if I hate it, I will sell it. Here is hopping I like it!!
Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 09:33 AM   #11
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Quote:
Any updates?
X-pipe shipped this week and should be here next week.

Appreciate 0
      10-09-2019, 12:08 AM   #12
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Just installed my RKP (Challenge) Sport x-pipe. The quality out of the box is top notch. The packing was, well, overkill. Took a while to actually free it of the packing - no change of shipping damage save driving over it with a large truck. Like a tool, I did not take any photos... Oops.

The install is pretty straight forward. I noticed the drivers side is a bit tighter than the passenger side for clearance. Fits fine, just need to be careful how you assemble the pipe.

The smell with the HFCs is actually better than I had hoped. I think it smells less than test-pipes and the factory secondaries. So that is awesome.

The sound is just fantastic. Idle is very pedestrian - what I wanted. Driving at light throttle is just a tad louder than stock but neighbour friendly. But, put your foot into it and it just sounds amazing with the Dinan rear section. Just sings. Very happy.

I do have a bit of an issue with my Dinan cans being a bit different in length - drives me nuts. Clearly a manufacturing issue from Dinan that the previous owner did not notice. But I guess you cannot really see the tail pipes from the drivers seat...

All in all, really happy with the new x-pipe. The HFCs seem to be located in a pretty nice position and should not be easily damaged as they do not hang down in the way. Here is hoping that I have many happy miles with this x-pipe!

Cheers,

Appreciate 3
ToddinTN504.00
L4ces337.00
      10-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #13
Teerump
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘09 Alpine White E92 M3

Great to here you like it... I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing. Have the Dinan full exhaust and it's pretty rich, so want to switch to a catted x-pipe and keep the Dinan rear section. Does it sound quieter when you stomp on it compared no cats? Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #14
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teerump View Post
Great to here you like it... I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing. Have the Dinan full exhaust and it's pretty rich, so want to switch to a catted x-pipe and keep the Dinan rear section. Does it sound quieter when you stomp on it compared no cats? Just curious.
I have never had no-cats - i used to have test pipes with the secondaries and resonators still in. This sounds better - more exotic. Less smell than with only the factory secondaries. Big fan so far.

One issue that I have is the RKP x-pipe is just a little longer than the factory. This pushes my cans back joust enough that the hangers hit the bumper support once the pipes are hot. I have to clearance it by a few mm. Not a big deal but something to watch out for with Dinan cans. Gunna fix it this weekend.

Cheers,

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2019, 12:06 AM   #15
acarr6
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

I always loved the dinan setup. I think it's my favourite exhaust for these cars - and I've had around....6 rear sections. Currently on the hunt for another dinan. I had it previously with the dinan midsection and turner test pipes, but this time will have it paired with the gintani quad resonated x pipe. You should post some videos of your setup!
      10-23-2019, 08:24 PM   #16
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr6 View Post
I always loved the dinan setup. I think it's my favourite exhaust for these cars - and I've had around....6 rear sections. Currently on the hunt for another dinan. I had it previously with the dinan midsection and turner test pipes, but this time will have it paired with the gintani quad resonated x pipe. You should post some videos of your setup!
That is going to be an awesome setup. I've heard it first hand and driven it. I can't comment on the smell factor, didn't notice it. Shocking how controlled and quote it is until you step on it! When you let off the gas you hear and feel the rumble without drone.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #17
Cbozz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
I had AA and I'd say challenge all the way!!!!
      11-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #18
iAjking
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian g. View Post
Here you go; hopefully the link works.

https://flic.kr/p/2h7VmGt

Sounds good. What setup is this?
Appreciate 0