BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-27-2019, 05:10 PM   #23
DreamTime
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Oh, and OP - when I get my custom tips I'll post pics here on your thread
Shared: Spec E46 (race car) 2002 E46 330i (daily beater) 1987 E28 535is (garage queen)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 08:22 PM   #24
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grip Addict View Post
Mine only stick out when hot, about an inch like they are suppose to.
mine does the same. I have installed every single exhaust made for this platform for other people ( and 4 different exhaust setups for myself) and nothing sounds as good as the ATAK.
      03-29-2019, 04:19 PM   #25
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_M_Tech View Post
mine does the same. I have installed every single exhaust made for this platform for other people ( and 4 different exhaust setups for myself) and nothing sounds as good as the ATAK.
Interesting, you tried the Corsa as well Solo?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #26
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Quote:
Interesting, you tried the Corsa as well Solo?
I installed the corsa on a customers car and though good, I still place the ATAK above it. tips look better as well.
      03-30-2019, 02:50 AM   #27
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I installed the corsa on a customers car and though good, I still place the ATAK above it. tips look better as well.
Atak was a tad loud for me in the long run. I've heard Corsa is a bit calmer, you agree?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 11:56 AM   #28
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Quote:
Atak was a tad loud for me in the long run. I've heard Corsa is a bit calmer, you agree?

Cheers
It is, but it's also more "bassy" in the car and tends to drone a little more at slower speeds. It's a stellar exhaust, just wish the tips looked better
      03-31-2019, 05:12 PM   #29
Wally1552
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
It is, but it's also more "bassy" in the car and tends to drone a little more at slower speeds. It's a stellar exhaust, just wish the tips looked better
Humm I heard the exact opposite of the corsa from multiple ppl
Almost no drone and no bass at low rpms. I'm on the hunt for a corsa system myself. Atak sounds nice to put may be a but loud for my tastes
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 05:56 PM   #30
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

From what I have heard and seen, perhaps the Corsa tone sounds better paired with a nice X pipe, but as a standalone cat back, the atak might be the better option.. I'm deciding between the two also and can't make up my mind, but leaning atak since I might never take cats out.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 06:41 PM   #31
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally1552 View Post
Quote:
Humm I heard the exact opposite of the corsa from multiple ppl
Almost no drone and no bass at low rpms. I'm on the hunt for a corsa system myself. Atak sounds nice to put may be a but loud for my tastes
I've instlaled both,and with a catless xpipe, the corsa is more "bassy" at lower rpms. that's why I own the ATAK.
      03-31-2019, 09:53 PM   #32
k_mann
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTime View Post
Oh, and OP - when I get my custom tips I'll post pics here on your thread
Please do! If I don't beat you to it though. I'm hoping to try it in the next month.

Insta: @kmannc
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #33
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aututto View Post
Please do! If I don't beat you to it though. I'm hoping to try it in the next month.
I wanted to give you an update since I finally made it to the exhaust shop today. The way the tips are attached, with the connecting pipe not being straight (see pic) somewhat limits the options for tips as they have to be really short in order to not stick out too far. We took a bunch of measurements, looked through the tip catalog for like 45 mins (lol, this was actually really enjoyable) and I told him what I was looking for - which I have now realized is really really specific. So, I might need to be flexible on the style/finish a little bit. My guy was going to see if his vendor could send out some samples (that match the specs we developed with our measurements) with an order being delivered to his shop tomorrow. I'm interested to know what you find out since we are kind of on the same mission. We should def be in touch as we go through this process, it might be really useful for both of us. Plus, it's kind of fun lol.

Name:  tips 2.JPG
Views: 448
Size:  610.0 KB
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:31 PM   #34
slawless
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Personally, I Like the shape of the tips, Just would like them black. I had put bologna cut black tips on the OEM muffler.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 06:38 PM   #35
k_mann
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I wanted to give you an update since I finally made it to the exhaust shop today. The way the tips are attached, with the connecting pipe not being straight (see pic) somewhat limits the options for tips as they have to be really short in order to not stick out too far. We took a bunch of measurements, looked through the tip catalog for like 45 mins (lol, this was actually really enjoyable) and I told him what I was looking for - which I have now realized is really really specific. So, I might need to be flexible on the style/finish a little bit. My guy was going to see if his vendor could send out some samples (that match the specs we developed with our measurements) with an order being delivered to his shop tomorrow. I'm interested to know what you find out since we are kind of on the same mission. We should def be in touch as we go through this process, it might be really useful for both of us. Plus, it's kind of fun lol.

Attachment 2033368
Dang you're quicker to it than me! But I noticed that exact issue with the pipes when I was installing. I knew that was going to be an issue. I'm wanting single wall straight cut. And they make a lot that match the inlet of the borla (2.25" inlet) but they're all quite long. So I'm thinking since I'm just doing single wall I can just cut to get the correct length

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 07:05 PM   #36
850tgul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, F87 M2, F30 330xi, X3

Quote:
Dang you're quicker to it than me! But I noticed that exact issue with the pipes when I was installing. I knew that was going to be an issue. I'm wanting single wall straight cut. And they make a lot that match the inlet of the borla (2.25" inlet) but they're all quite long. So I'm thinking since I'm just doing single wall I can just cut to get the correct length
Let us know what you find. I’m looking for the same. Single wall, straight cut. Classic M car tips imo
Appreciate 1
DreamTime864.50
      04-18-2019, 12:30 AM   #37
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeahhh, I had to get the ball rolling on this project. My OCD goes into overdrive every time I see these tips lmao. I definitely noticed the same thing during the install. After I removed the stock rear section, I laid it on the ground next to the ATAK and was like dang... the way the tips are attached on the ATAK made me think it might be tricky to just stick something else on there.

Your response actually gave me some really good information though. I was off on the size of the inlet, I thought it was 2". Knowing the exact measurement on that obviously helps for sure. Plus, I want single wall straight cut tips too! I just didn't know the exact terminology (until I googled it just now, still learning about exhaust stuff), so that is immensely helpful. If single wall tips can simply be cut to length, that is awesome. While we were looking through the catalog he was only looking for tips that fit the measurements we determined would work so that the tips didn't stick out too far, but there weren't very many of them and tbh I didn't like any of them. I also just learned tonight that I can have the tips powdercoated if needed, so that solves my possible finish issue.

My exhaust guy wanted me to touch base with him in the morning, and now I feel way more prepared to have my second meeting! Thank you so much for the informative answer. Good talk lol
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 07:41 AM   #38
k_mann
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yeahhh, I had to get the ball rolling on this project. My OCD goes into overdrive every time I see these tips lmao. I definitely noticed the same thing during the install. After I removed the stock rear section, I laid it on the ground next to the ATAK and was like dang... the way the tips are attached on the ATAK made me think it might be tricky to just stick something else on there.

Your response actually gave me some really good information though. I was off on the size of the inlet, I thought it was 2". Knowing the exact measurement on that obviously helps for sure. Plus, I want single wall straight cut tips too! I just didn't know the exact terminology (until I googled it just now, still learning about exhaust stuff), so that is immensely helpful. If single wall tips can simply be cut to length, that is awesome. While we were looking through the catalog he was only looking for tips that fit the measurements we determined would work so that the tips didn't stick out too far, but there weren't very many of them and tbh I didn't like any of them. I also just learned tonight that I can have the tips powdercoated if needed, so that solves my possible finish issue.

My exhaust guy wanted me to touch base with him in the morning, and now I feel way more prepared to have my second meeting! Thank you so much for the informative answer. Good talk lol
Well I should have stated I'm fairly positive that's the inlet size. I'm going off the tip measurements on borla that appear to match the tips that come on our mufflers. I'll link it below, you might want to double check the measurements but this looked to be exactly what we have. Measurements seem like they'd be correct as well!!

https://www.borla.com/products/225_i...rt__20153.html

Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 06:32 PM   #39
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Well I should have stated I'm fairly positive that's the inlet size. I'm going off the tip measurements on borla that appear to match the tips that come on our mufflers. I'll link it below, you might want to double check the measurements but this looked to be exactly what we have. Measurements seem like they'd be correct as well!!

https://www.borla.com/products/225_i...rt__20153.html
Oh cool, thanks for the link. Those do look like our same tips, so it would seem that would be the measurement we want. I know at the shop he had a bunch of small pieces of pipe around that we can use to double check when I go back. I ended up being stupid busy today so I'm calling him tomorrow. I'm getting really excited about this
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 09:22 AM   #40
mubarak
Private
Rep
Drives: M6,,m5,,m3,,x5m

No sound better than isenmann race on e90/ e92 m3
It is the best one in term of sounds from experience.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 11:51 PM   #41
bajaracer
Private
Rep
Drives: Racecar

I just added my ATAK exhaust but decided to paint them flat black and like how they turned out on my space grey E92
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 05:22 AM   #42
mubarak
Private
Rep
Drives: M6,,m5,,m3,,x5m

I have isenmann race on e92 m3 the sound is insane.
No matter what you choose ,,isenmann the best.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 06:34 AM   #43
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mubarak View Post
I have isenmann race on e92 m3 the sound is insane.
No matter what you choose ,,isenmann the best.

Thank you.
Ok, good for you. That's not what this thread is about.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2019, 10:34 AM   #44
DreamTime
Captain
Rep

aututto hey, haven't been on here for a minute, been busy getting ready to move. But, I'm going with a different guy for my tips, first guy wasn't coming up with a solution I liked. I'm going to the track tomorrow (yayyyy!! lol) and the guy who is going to work with me on my tips is going to be there so we're going to go over everything then. Should have more info later this week, I am so ready to finally be moving forward with this!
Appreciate 0