BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

04-10-2018, 08:56 PM   #45
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
So what about non-EDC + non-ZCP cars? Would a ZCP spring + non-EDC strut/shock combo be advisable?
Find a stock 1M suspension? Those are fixed "ZCP" suspension.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 05:03 AM   #46
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
So what about non-EDC + non-ZCP cars? Would a ZCP spring + non-EDC strut/shock combo be advisable?
That's what Richbot is running, and I asked him about it a few posts up above in this thread. Seems to be fine as the ZCP spring rate is either unchanged or very similar.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #47
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
That's what Richbot is running, and I asked him about it a few posts up above in this thread. Seems to be fine as the ZCP spring rate is either unchanged or very similar.
So it would be fine to run non-EDC E90 M3 struts/shocks with E90 M3 ZCP springs? I wouldn't mind doing that to my car.

I'll either go with that or the H&R + cut E36 bumpstop route.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #48
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
So it would be fine to run non-EDC E90 M3 struts/shocks with E90 M3 ZCP springs? I wouldn't mind doing that to my car.

I'll either go with that or the H&R + cut E36 bumpstop route.
Or you could add ZCP shocks, struts and springs and I know a guy who knows a guy with a set for sale who will give YOU a great deal on it.
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      04-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #49
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Yep. It's fine, to the extent the stock Sachs dampers are any good, and they are, or at least I think the struts are. Not as big a fan of the shocks, I just swapped the shocks out for B8's in back and it was an improvement.

I like the stock bumpstops but I think I am going to shave them a bit next time I have my front struts apart to replace them. I'm sure the ancient ones on the car now are already hammered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Or you could add ZCP shocks, struts and springs and I know a guy who knows a guy with a set for sale who will give YOU a great deal on it.
heh

Unless your guy has all the wiring, EDC modules, etc., and codes for free, I don't think it'd be such a great deal to add it to a non-EDC car which I think spazz's is
      04-11-2018, 09:32 AM   #50
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Yep. It's fine, to the extent the stock Sachs dampers are any good, and they are, or at least I think the struts are. Not as big a fan of the shocks, I just swapped the shocks out for B8's in back and it was an improvement.

I like the stock bumpstops but I think I am going to shave them a bit next time I have my front struts apart to replace them. I'm sure the ancient ones on the car now are already hammered.

Quote:
heh

Unless your guy has all the wiring, EDC modules, etc., and codes for free, I don't think it'd be such a great deal to add it to a non-EDC car which I think spazz's is
Yea you are correct. I over thought the EDC portion of the set up. I owe Tyler a huge favor but this will not be the time to repay him. Now if he had EDC we would be rolling. Thanks Richbot
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 09:43 AM   #51
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Are you trying to ruin his stripper status
      04-11-2018, 09:49 AM   #52
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Always wondered if anyone tried to program ZCP EDC on a non-zcp EDC car.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #53
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Are you trying to ruin his stripper status
Noooooo!!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #54
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
They have. Coding is not the issue. It is running the EDC wiring and hooking up an EDC module in the trunk. Expensive and not worth it. Now if he had EDC already the coding from non ZCP to ZCP is easy.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #55
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
oh yeah, can be done without issue

But you need EDC to start with
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #56
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

Sorry I wasn't clear.
I meant code the ZCP EDC shock profile, but with normal EDC shocks?
Since the part numbers are different I assume the non-zcp edc shocks/struts are different, but would they work with the zcp edc coding?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 10:11 AM   #57
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I wasn't clear.
Since the part numbers are different I assume the non-zcp edc shocks/struts are different, but would they work with the zcp edc coding?
I thought people had done that as well but I'm not certain

Then you'd have the profile but not the ride height
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 11:02 AM   #58
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry I wasn't clear.
Take a non ZCP EDC shock and code for ZCP? Highly doubtful, it is a different shock altogether.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 11:24 AM   #59
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Then you'd have the profile but not the ride height
Yea exactly, you'd have the dynamic sport profile. Since it's mostly software that controls that I was wondering if it works.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      04-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #60
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Yea exactly, you'd have the dynamic sport profile. Since it's mostly software that controls that I was wondering if it works.
Yup! The change is here as I listed in my older post in my journal:
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo

# Competition Package EDC
The Competition Package Electronic Damping Control has revise settings compared to the standard EDC from the M3. There is mainly two differences that has been noted online.

1. 10mm shorter springs on the ZCP.
2. Revised Sport Mode to enable variable dampening instead of static 75% stiffness.

Quote:
In addition, the control of the electronic damper adjustment function EDC includes a Sport mode specially developed for the Competition Package. It is said to adjust the chassis modifications by means of map-based control and the driving stability control function DSC.
##Goal
I originally wanted a ZCP M3 cause those Style 359 rims are the best rims BMW makes. The Suspension had a slight difference that probably would've made me keep the car stock in that aspect. However since rims are just rims and I read on forums of people successfully coding in their EDC to ZCP EDC, I decided to start hunting how to do this. Forums were somewhat unhelpful as most of the folks who knew offer paid services to do it.

Code my standard EDC into ZCP EDC and document it somewhere online.
The DSC portion of the ZCP package I believe is just Euro MDM. Euro MDM allows more slip angle than the US MDM. Nuff Said.

That is coded into the MK60_M3.Cxx with the follow parameters:
Code:
US_VEHICLE    Nicht_aktiv
MDYNAMIC_MODE_USA    Nicht_aktiv
M3_UEBERSTUEUERN_MUE_0    wert_00
M3_UEBERSTUEUERN_MUE_1_2    wert_00
### The Research
With the help of NCSDummy, I opened up the DATEN File for EDCK65.C1A to see input values and their corresponding data values.

Short description:
dx9023 = Non-ZCP E90 with EDC
dx9030 = ZCP E90 (EDC is standard)

As shown above, the options row shows the requirements to meet in order to use that value as default. An exclamation mark means negate in this situation. The Data row is the output to the module and in this parameter, they are identical. This means this parameter doesn't care if you are a ZCP or non-ZCP, you are getting this value no matter what.

However, in the below one they are different data values of C8 and A0. What these actual values mean is beyond me. However, this helps conclude my research to a specific finding.

### Proposed coding

Code every parameter to dx09030 should apply all the values from a ZCP to my EDC module. I suppose you don't have to do every parameter as some of them offer the same data value but it is faster(lazier) to just code dx09030 all the way through.

I'm pretty sure this will work as most people suggest feeling revised settings after coding in the ZCP values. However since they either didn't know what they were coding or someone did it for them, I am not 100% sure this will work. (99% maybe.)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #61
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Yup! The change is here as I listed in my older post in my journal:
Awesome, that is good to know if I ever remove my coilovers and go back to stock EDC. I have a set of ZCP springs i'd pair them with.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #62
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Take a non ZCP EDC shock and code for ZCP? Highly doubtful, it is a different shock altogether.
That was my thinking, but if it's only software, then I figured it might work, because the regular edc has a dynamic normal or comfort profile, just a static sport profile, so a software change should allow a dynamic sport profile. The valving might be different, but atleast how it adjusts could still worked.

While it's going to be hard to compare the actual effect it had, atleast it sounds like a few people have tried it,
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #63
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
That was my thinking, but if it's only software, then I figured it might work, because the regular edc has a dynamic normal or comfort profile, just a static sport profile, so a software change should allow a dynamic sport profile. The valving might be different, but atleast how it adjusts could still worked.

While it's going to be hard to compare the actual effect it had, atleast it sounds like a few people have tried it,
What is actually different between the ZCP EDC dampeners and non-ZCP EDC dampeners has not been determined outside of the assumption that the dampeners valving has been revised.

That being said, the non-ZCP EDC do function with the ZCP settings with dynamic sport mode. It feels alot better than the static sport mode in the non-ZCP EDC coding. Is it equal to ZCP? probably not. But it feels better to my butt. LOL.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52695.50
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      04-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #64
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
In a couple months I'll be able to do back to back comparisons of the oem zcp + gc camber plates vs bilstein b12 non edc + gc camber plates

Very curious about the handling difference between both
Great thread, right up my alley.

To be honest, I'm just not a fan of the standard EDC shock valving. I think comfort is a bit choppy over small/quick rollers and quite harsh over sharp edges (like a deep manhole cover). BUT - it's a bit too floaty at higher speeds. Normal mode is too stiff for city use and Sport is simply useless in my world 99% of the time.

What I want is plush control, like the B12k it gave me on the 46M. I've considered the Dinan springs/kit but that leaves me with the same EDC dampers which I don't really like. I've also considered the ZCP springs for that subtle drop (purely looks) but again..... the dampers are my problem. I've considered the Ohlins RT but I wasn't a fan of those on the 46M.

So, like you, Danny, I'm really considering the B12 kit for this car. Have you personally run/tried this kit? How does it feel compared to a 30k mile bone stock non-ZCP EDC car?

How about the Billy EDC dampers + ZCP/Dinan/Eibachs springs? Anyone try that setup?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 08:05 PM   #65
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricSMG View Post
Great thread, right up my alley.

To be honest, I'm just not a fan of the standard EDC shock valving. I think comfort is a bit choppy over small/quick rollers and quite harsh over sharp edges (like a deep manhole cover). BUT - it's a bit too floaty at higher speeds. Normal mode is too stiff for city use and Sport is simply useless in my world 99% of the time.

What I want is plush control, like the B12k it gave me on the 46M. I've considered the Dinan springs/kit but that leaves me with the same EDC dampers which I don't really like. I've also considered the ZCP springs for that subtle drop (purely looks) but again..... the dampers are my problem. I've considered the Ohlins RT but I wasn't a fan of those on the 46M.

So, like you, Danny, I'm really considering the B12 kit for this car. Have you personally run/tried this kit? How does it feel compared to a 30k mile bone stock non-ZCP EDC car?

How about the Billy EDC dampers + ZCP/Dinan/Eibachs springs? Anyone try that setup?
Fly out here and you can try them yourself. I recall your butt dyno is more finely tuned than mine!

I already have two B12 kits on order but neither are for my cars, but they'll be close at hand. Doing rod bearings and suspension on both of them sometime in May/June.
My cars will be running a MCS 3WR and a OEM ZCP with 30k on the car.

I've tried B12 on my E46M3 for 100k miles, on a 330Ci for 100k miles (still own this car in Barcelona), on a US 330Ci for almost 100k miles and on the X5 (yes, seriously) for the past 50k miles.
I always say I think people waste their time thinking of suspension options... just get the B12 and be done with it. [you are an exception]
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #66
EricSMG
Captain
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'd like the B12 kit on this car. Plus, it's available while the dampers alone are not (last I checked).

The EDC Billies are available as well, but that adds another grand give or take. Not sure I need adjustable BUT something tells me the EDC Billies on soft paired with Dinans/Eibachs and slightly trimmed front internal bump stops would be the ultimate for this car. I imagine incredible control without the choppiness of the stock dampers.
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00