BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-09-2021, 01:08 PM   #1
gtadude543
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 328xi, E90 M3 DCT

ESS G1 Supercharger Manifold lift (help with tie down bracket install)

I am currently experiencing pretty bad manifold lift and want to install the ESS tie down brackets. Anyone know where exactly they mount onto? Any help would be appreciated!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 01:17 PM   #2
Adriano917
09 M3 e93 VF650, e30 e85, Remus, Federal’s 595rs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Damn dude you’ve had no luck with that kit. https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1488616 As per Tom from EAS new boots and clamps should do the trick.
      06-09-2021, 01:19 PM   #3
gtadude543
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano917 View Post
Damn dude you’ve had no luck with that kit. https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1488616 As per Tom from EAS new boots and clamps should do the trick.
I really haven’t!! On top of that ESS tuning staff at the Arizona office are assholes and extremely rude especially AJ.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #4
gtadude543
Private
Rep

I want to try the tie down brackets first since I already have them, before I spend $400 for new clamps and boots which is absolutely ridiculous!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 01:24 PM   #5
Adriano917
United_States
Rep

When I was in the market for a S/C I was gonna go with the ESS G1 but read bad reviews from ESS from service and their kits. Went with a VF kit and could not be happier, service was excellent answering Q’s and they sent the tune quick. Only thing I hate is the size and the weight of the Manifold, wish they made a CF option for it.
      06-09-2021, 01:58 PM   #6
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
These will use the bolt that is threaded through the fuel rail (#3 in included screenshot) with other end connecting to the manifold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtadude543 View Post
I want to try the tie down brackets first since I already have them, before I spend $400 for new clamps and boots which is absolutely ridiculous!!
If the manifold is not properly sealing, the tie downs are only going to help so much. Proper maintenance first.
Attached Images

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2021, 02:02 PM   #7
gtadude543
Private
Rep

Quote:
When I was in the market for a S/C I was gonna go with the ESS G1 but read bad reviews from ESS from service and their kits. Went with a VF kit and could not be happier, service was excellent answering Q’s and they sent the tune quick. Only thing I hate is the size and the weight of the Manifold, wish they made a CF option for it.
You made the right choice. If I could go back I wouldn’t have gone with ESS the way that I was treated. The kit came with missing hoses and a missing crank case ventilation adapter. Had to wait a week for the missing adapter to come in while my car was on a lift the whole time. I was told by AJ at ESS that I am basically stupid and shouldn’t be installing the kit myself. In fact he told me to take everything off and send it back because I called ESS to ask a question regarding the bolts provided with the kit since they are not labeled by size. The instructions said to use 3 of M6x65 bolts but my kit only had 2 of those and some shorter ones so I was confused and decided to call for clarification. Instead I was basically called a retard by AJ. He said to me, “you’re way in over your head this is not an air filter change. You shouldn’t be doing this and you need to stop. You need to be mechanically competent and this is going to end in a disaster. Please take everything off and send it back for a refund”. Then I had Vivid Racing deal with ESS since I ordered my kit through them and ESS was rude to my sales rep as well so the owners at Vivid racing had to get involved to get me my missing crankcase ventilation adapter.

I plan on writing a detailed post regarding the whole ordeal for future buyers interested in ESS products.
Appreciate 3
Idfkman473.00
CamasM3e933159.50
      06-09-2021, 02:07 PM   #8
Idfkman
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
You made the right choice. If I could go back I wouldn’t have gone with ESS the way that I was treated. The kit came with missing hoses and a missing crank case ventilation adapter. Had to wait a week for the missing adapter to come in while my car was on a lift the whole time. I was told by AJ at ESS that I am basically stupid and shouldn’t be installing the kit myself. In fact he told me to take everything off and send it back because I called ESS to ask a question regarding the bolts provided with the kit since they are not labeled by size. The instructions said to use 3 of M6x65 bolts but my kit only had 2 of those and some shorter ones so I was confused and decided to call for clarification. Instead I was basically called a retard by AJ. He said to me, “you’re way in over your head this is not an air filter change. You shouldn’t be doing this and you need to stop. You need to be mechanically competent and this is going to end in a disaster. Please take everything off and send it back for a refund”. Then I had Vivid Racing deal with ESS since I ordered my kit through them and ESS was rude to my sales rep as well so the owners at Vivid racing had to get involved to get me my missing crankcase ventilation adapter.

I plan on writing a detailed post regarding the whole ordeal for future buyers interested in ESS products.
Damn man.. sorry you had to deal with that bs. Certainly second guessing whether or not I want to go with ESS after hearing this.

As I look into the VF kits design I'm starting to lean that way.

Please, keep us up to date with the install. All this info will be super helpful for folks like me planning to diy the install.
      06-09-2021, 02:21 PM   #9
gtadude543
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
These will use the bolt that is threaded through the fuel rail (#3 in included screenshot) with other end connecting to the manifold.

If the manifold is not properly sealing, the tie downs are only going to help so much. Proper maintenance first.
Thanks for the help!! Much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 02:29 PM   #10
gtadude543
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idfkman View Post
Damn man.. sorry you had to deal with that bs. Certainly second guessing whether or not I want to go with ESS after hearing this.

As I look into the VF kits design I'm starting to lean that way.

Please, keep us up to date with the install. All this info will be super helpful for folks like me planning to diy the install.
The diy isn’t hard to do its just that instructions that ESS provide are not super specific. Overall, ESS customer service is absolutely terrible and I would think twice before spending $7500 just to be called a retard. In hindsight, they are right and I am a retard for choosing the wrong company.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 03:25 PM   #11
Adriano917
United_States
Rep

Thats sucks man! what a terrible experience after spending $7,500 like it was nothing. I would of sent him their kit back and get a full refund just for that.
      06-09-2021, 03:31 PM   #12
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Quote:
The diy isn’t hard to do its just that instructions that ESS provide are not super specific. Overall, ESS customer service is absolutely terrible and I would think twice before spending $7500 just to be called a retard. In hindsight, they are right and I am a retard for choosing the wrong company.
To be fair, the provided instructions are more intended at experienced installers and as a reference, not a step by step training tool. If you haven't installed a supercharger before - it can be a bit intimidating, but there's no way to gauge one's skill level by forums posts - so I'm not judging by any means. As with any kit or package, check for missing parts before starting installation.

This is where your reseller should have provided at least some support, rather than just forwarding requests to the manufacturer. What happened here?

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 2
Idfkman473.00
911r891.00
      06-09-2021, 03:48 PM   #13
gtadude543
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
To be fair, the provided instructions are more intended at experienced installers and as a reference, not a step by step training tool. If you haven't installed a supercharger before - it can be a bit intimidating, but there's no way to gauge one's skill level by forums posts - so I'm not judging by any means. As with any kit or package, check for missing parts before starting installation.

This is where your reseller should have provided at least some support, rather than just forwarding requests to the manufacturer. What happened here?
I admit it was my fault for not checking if I had all the parts beforehand. Also, you are right about the instructions targeted towards experienced installers. If you have never done a supercharger install you will definitely have to figure it out as you go on some steps.

However, it still doesn’t justify the manner in which I was spoken to over the phone. I understand if AJ was concerned that I didn’t know what I was doing and wanted me to get it installed professionally and that’s totally acceptable. However, what’s not acceptable is the manner and tone he chose to convey his concerns. I wouldn’t have decided to do the DIY if I had no mechanical experience.

As for Vivid Racing, I’m not sure why they always forwarded my questions to ESS. It would have been more helpful if they had some knowledge of the kit themselves I agree. But Luis at Vivid racing was very helpful throughout the whole process of getting me the missing adapter.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 03:57 PM   #14
sho9ice
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V

To do the rear tie downs it's a lot easier to first remove item 1,2 and 3. Get the all the bolts started before tightening.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 05:22 PM   #15
gtadude543
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho9ice View Post
To do the rear tie downs it's a lot easier to first remove item 1,2 and 3. Get the all the bolts started before tightening.
Thanks that greatly helps!!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #16
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:

That’s crazy you should’ve sent that shit right back.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 09:16 PM   #17
darkbmw
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow m3

It's crazy u are getting lift, I took them off, I am running 8 psi with g1+ and I have pressure tested up to 30 psi and no lift.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 09:44 PM   #18
gtadude543
Private
Rep

So while installing the tie down bracket I found the culprit. One of the boots seems like it got melted. Looks like I’m gonna have to bite the bullet and just buy 8 new boots and all the clamps
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-09-2021, 10:05 PM   #19
InnerBlueSkies
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
So while installing the tie down bracket I found the culprit. One of the boots seems like it got melted. Looks like I’m gonna have to bite the bullet and just buy 8 new boots and all the clamps
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...uine-bmw-part/
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 02:44 AM   #20
sho9ice
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V

Look at this on eBay Manifold Clamps
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143446616071
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 03:01 AM   #21
GORDON.M3
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

I'd suggest you guys to get new boots first before attempting to install a supercharger on an M3 with higher mileage... The boots tend to go out of shape after so many years of wear and tear + heat. Since I'm not supercharged, I have been using a rubber restoring silicone that has rejuvenated the rubber boots when installing my carbon plenum. The rubber restoring agent works great, after several thousand miles I could see that the boots were restoring their original shape and felt very supple without being brittle.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 07:12 AM   #22
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho9ice View Post
Look at this on eBay Manifold Clamps
https://www.ebay.com/itm/143446616071
Doesn't make sense for him to buy used clamps, that's a bad idea.
Appreciate 0