BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

04-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #1
drivetolive
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

vs Z4 M Coupe

When I originally bought my E90 M3 four years ago, I was also cross-shopping between Z4 M Coupes but ultimately decided on the former. Lately, I've been thinking about the infamous Z4 again and am wondering whether I should make the switch (unfortunately I cannot own both).

I've been reading reviews and owner comments for several days now and understand the gist of the car (both it's highlights and its faults). What really entices me is the two-seat, cozy cabin coupled with the relatively low curb weight (along with the looks and perceived agility). Nevertheless, given the low production numbers, it's difficult to find recent reviews in 2021, and more importantly, comparisons with the E9x M3. Of course the S65 is to die for, but I wonder whether the Z4's character can overcome it.

I'm posting to see whether anyone here with an E9x M3 has made the switch to or from a Z4 M and to ascertain your thoughts. I have never driven a Z4 let alone an S54-powered car, but I hope to in the near future. I just figured I could spawn an interesting discussion for those of us under COVID lockdown .
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 03:02 PM   #2
kcdedric
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Used to own one a few cars before the M3. It really comes down to your intended use and what you value most about the M3. If you're looking for a DD, easy, keep the M3. But if it's strictly a weekend car things get a little more difficult and that's why it depends on what you love most about your M3. I'd characterize the Z4M as more "lively" in just about every aspect. Steering is quicker, it's more agile but twitchier on the limit, and the ride is less composed (they really benefit from some good coilovers). I liked the seating position in the Z4M much more than the M3 and the fact that the Z4M was more of an "event" to drive, but the S65 is just such a masterpiece that cannot be ignored.

I'll summarize it this way: if BMW made an E86 with the S65 I'd have one in my garage, but they don't so I have an E90 M3

Le Mans Blue '09 BMW M3 Sedan - Current
Polar Silver '04 Porsche GT3 - Gone
Persian Blue '08 Lotus Exige S240 - Gone
Space Gray/Imola '08 BMW M Coupe - Gone
Appreciate 5
      04-12-2021, 03:17 PM   #3
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdedric View Post
Used to own one a few cars before the M3. It really comes down to your intended use and what you value most about the M3. If you're looking for a DD, easy, keep the M3. But if it's strictly a weekend car things get a little more difficult and that's why it depends on what you love most about your M3. I'd characterize the Z4M as more "lively" in just about every aspect. Steering is quicker, it's more agile but twitchier on the limit, and the ride is less composed (they really benefit from some good coilovers). I liked the seating position in the Z4M much more than the M3 and the fact that the Z4M was more of an "event" to drive, but the S65 is just such a masterpiece that cannot be ignored.

I'll summarize it this way: if BMW made an E86 with the S65 I'd have one in my garage, but they don't so I have an E90 M3

I couldn't have said it better! The (2) cars are completely different. I currently have both in my garage (well my M3 is the e93) and i would say the Z4M is more engaging to drive).
Unfortunately, the Z4M has been sitting underneath the cover most of the time due to daddy's duties. However, if and when it is time to sell then the e93 would have to go.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-13-2021, 10:09 AM   #4
drivetolive
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Interesting feedback, appreciate the insights. With the pandemic, I doubt I will be going back into the office for years (if ever on a consistent basis). Hence, my current M3 or any future car would be a weekend/occasional use car. The M3 is almost too good at what it does - an absolute monster when driven at speed, but almost mundane at regular driving/low-speeds (my M3 is stock).

I wonder if my Z4 aspirations will fade once I actually pull the M3 out of storage .

Quote:
...I'd characterize the Z4M as more "lively" in just about every aspect. Steering is quicker, it's more agile but twitchier on the limit, and the ride is less composed (they really benefit from some good coilovers). I liked the seating position in the Z4M much more than the M3 and the fact that the Z4M was more of an "event" to drive...
This right here, the fact that many people consider the Z4M to be more "lively" is exactly why I am considering the switch.

I'm also trying to convince my wife to swap out her E90 335 for a Z4MR, so I can experience both the M3 and Z4, but that is an uphill battle .
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2021, 12:49 PM   #5
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivetolive View Post
Interesting feedback, appreciate the insights. With the pandemic, I doubt I will be going back into the office for years (if ever on a consistent basis). Hence, my current M3 or any future car would be a weekend/occasional use car. The M3 is almost too good at what it does - an absolute monster when driven at speed, but almost mundane at regular driving/low-speeds (my M3 is stock).

I wonder if my Z4 aspirations will fade once I actually pull the M3 out of storage .

This right here, the fact that many people consider the Z4M to be more "lively" is exactly why I am considering the switch.

I'm also trying to convince my wife to swap out her E90 335 for a Z4MR, so I can experience both the M3 and Z4, but that is an uphill battle .
Don't have an E86M, but I do have an E92 M3 in combination to a Z4M Roadster. As others mentioned, it's a vastly different driving experience, so it comes down to what you're looking for. I'll try to break it down with each other pros:

E9x M3:
+ Engine is an absolutely highlight, even compared to the S54. They're both wonderful engines, but the S65 feels a bit more exotic. This was peak M engine design.
+ E9x interior is better built than the Z4M's. I really like the design of the Z4M's as it's retro cool, but the quality of the materials can't touch my non extended leather E92 M3. Also way more rattles in the Z than M3, maybe that's Roadster specific.
+ This is a good or a bad thing depending on what you're looking for, but I've taken my car all the way down to Florida, which is a 9 hrs drive and was fresh when I arrived. It's a more comfortable and useable car than the Z, no surprises here
+ Exhaust sound is unbeatable
+ I find the E9x M3 more predictable to drive at higher speeds

Z4M (specifically Roadster)
+ More of an event just because it's a true sports car, and being able to drop adds another layer of excitement
+ Seating position makes it feel exotic, because you sit way low compared to the M3, and the hood just goes on forever. It's definitely not a "normal" car
+ Ridiculous amount of room in the engine if you need to work on it
+ Brakes feel great stock for stock compared to the M3, more confidence inspiring
+ More fuel efficient

Conclusion:
They're both keepers as far as I'm concerned, but if I had to absolutely pick one, I'd have the E92 M3. It's probably because this model was my dream car, and my particular one and I have a great history/memories. I'm far too attached to it.

To be honest, I got the Z4M Roadster because I really missed top down driving (had an E30 325i convertible for a few years) and wanted to experience the S54. I've been absolutely thrilled with it and have been surprised how much I like the car. When you factor in that I bought mine for under $20k because it's a higher mileage car, it makes perfect sense especially when M Coupes and E46 M3's are going for much more.

As a pure weekend car (and if I wasn't attached to my E92), I'd say the Z4M's win. Not a flawless car, but very entertaining. Happy to answer any questions you have OP.

P.S. Be sure this is what you want though, test drive one. Because if you sell the M3, their values have gone up, so it might not be super easy to jump back in.

07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 2
      04-17-2021, 12:01 PM   #6
drivetolive
Second Lieutenant
Rep

^^Very insightful, thank you! It's funny because I keep going back and forth, but am really hoping to at least see one in person or even better, test drive one. I have yet to pull the M3 out of storage and am itching to drive it.

The one thing I cannot get over about the Z4 is the horrendous gauge cluster. It seems very different from any other BMW and I am not a fan. Conversely, I think the M3's gauge cluster is a beauty (a big deal to me since that's what you stare at a majority of the time).
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 10:15 AM   #7
Serious
1M advocate
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 S4. 2011 M3. 2012 S1000RR

I also previously had a sapphire black Z4M coupe. It was almost a decade ago when i owned that car so my memory of it isn't up to date but the e92 is probably the better driving car overall, with still relatively modern tech, and a more exciting drivetrain.

I would say the Z4M is a more unique car and probably a fun weekend car. It's one of the best looking true coupes BMW has ever built and will probably be desirable to a small group in the future.

Being the last of the s54's they're more reliable than e46's although the gearbox is a 330i unit and tends to grind if you shift it fast at high rpm but the 6mt in the e92 isn't great either. Honestly I would base your decision off your gearbox preference.

I found the suspension/handling to be pretty great in my z4m. It was incredibly stable at high speed and was just as quick as my previous e46 on coilover suspension. I am not sure it would stand up to an e92 though. I can't compare because the e92 came years after my mz4.

I would say just go drive one. They may not be as exciting as they were back in 2010 when 330hp in a small coupe body was an amazing combo. Compared to new cars it might not feel that special anymore I dunno.
      04-20-2021, 03:58 PM   #8
russiamutha
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F80 M3

Had 2013 M3 and an 07 Z4MC at the same time. Very different machines, with Z4 being more engaging but at the same time a lot rougher to be in on long commutes. Keep in mind that this car is basically a parts bin car, so moding it isn't the easiest task. I always tell people that the best E46 M3 is E86 Z4MC because of just how raw it is even compared to E46 M3. I also like the fact that BMW used ZF transmission vs Getrag in Z4M - which is silky smooth.

Go out and drive one, but don't be surprised by interior being clunky and creaking - it's not the best vehicle to be in for long periods.

I've owned 15+ BMWs and I miss my Z4M the most.

Appreciate 1
      04-21-2021, 02:16 PM   #9
///M3Fresh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:

They do, its called an E92 M3 :P
      04-21-2021, 06:10 PM   #10
kyrix1st
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87 M2; E92M3 MT&DCT; M3 euro

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
I couldn't have said it better! The (2) cars are completely different. I currently have both in my garage (well my M3 is the e93) and i would say the Z4M is more engaging to drive).
Unfortunately, the Z4M has been sitting underneath the cover most of the time due to daddy's duties. However, if and when it is time to sell then the e93 would have to go.
How's the seat comfort? I had E85 Z4 years ago and I remember having back pain on long journeys. Thinking of adding one back in for summer rides so curious how Z4M differs/or similar.
      04-25-2021, 11:20 AM   #11
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M3Fresh View Post
Quote:

They do, its called an E92 M3 :P
That's even bigger than the e90 though.
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2021, 02:41 PM   #12
850tgul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4, F87 M2, F30 330xi, X3

I’ve owned both an e92 M3 (sold it one year ago) and had a Z4M coupe about 10 years ago. I think the e92 is a better overall package, not in terms of looks or rarity but because of the engine and chassis.

As far as pure sports car chassis go, the Z4 M is far from the cream of the crop. In stock form, it understeers like a pig compared to the e92 which is very neutral by comparison stock.

As other have mentioned, the transmission isn’t that great either. Very tough to not grind 2nd when driven even moderately aggressively.

Having said all of that, I did enjoy my Z4M. The uniqueness of the design is very appealing. It is a cool little car. I just think there are faaaar better pure sports cars out there and would pick a Boxster or S2000 over the Z4MR and a Cayman over a Z4MC.

If you are a S54 lover, however, the Z4M is the last and most reliable platform that engine was ever in. I love the S54 as much as the next guy but the S65 is just better.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2021, 11:23 AM   #13
Azeka1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E86 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
How's the seat comfort? I had E85 Z4 years ago and I remember having back pain on long journeys. Thinking of adding one back in for summer rides so curious how Z4M differs/or similar.
The Z4M does not have lumbar support. Long trips in the stock seats can be painful if you have back problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850tgul View Post
In stock form, it understeers like a pig compared to the e92 which is very neutral by comparison stock.
All M cars do and need square wheel setups to dial it out. The Z4M rotates quicker than the E92 due to its short wheelbase and the staggered wheels have a more dramatic impact. It's easier for the average buyer to correct an understeer than oversteer.
1995 E36 M3 | BMW CCA Club Racer - IP #34 | Gray / Blue / Orange | 261WHP | 2,700lbs
2013 E92 M3 Competition 6MT Slick Top | AW / Fox Red |
2006 E86 M Coupe | Silver Gray / Imola | JRZ RSTWO | APR Aero | Sparco Seats/Belts | Weichers Cage
Gone: 2017 Audi Q7 | 2011 E93 328i 6MT | 2014 Audi A6 | 2010 VW CC 2.0T | 2011 G37 S Coupe 6MT | 2004 G35 Coupe | SW20 MR2 Widebody Turbo

Last edited by Azeka1; 05-08-2021 at 07:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #14
drivetolive
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Just pulled the M3 out of a LONG winter storage and my aspirations of a Z4M have faded LOL. Nevertheless, I am hoping to find some time this weekend or next to test drive one and will report back my thoughts!
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2021, 08:46 AM   #15
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:

Total agreement. S65 engine is so special. Wanted one in my E86. Would have sacrificed the small size for DD duties if it had that engine. Since it didn't I went with the E92. Miss that car for autocross events as it was perfect! E92 is soo much bigger (heavier) for small tracks, but shines on full tracks like DEs. And has more creature comforts for DD. E86 was so low to the ground, it was more like getting up off the floor getting out of it. Was an event to drive!

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2021, 11:03 AM   #16
drivetolive
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Figured I would update those who may be interested. About a month ago I sold my E90 M3. It was not a easy decision and I was a little surprised how much interest it generated and how quickly it sold. I have no doubt the new seller will take car of the car.

I just found my replacement Z4 M Coupe and could not be happier. As soon as I drove it I no longer missed the M3 and knew the E86 felt like the good decision.

Everything said above effectively summarizes my thoughts as well. The S65 dominates the E9x M3 experience, whereas the Z4MC is a package deal. The Z4MC feels like a proper sports car in the classic sense (low, small, light and quick) whereas the M3 is definitely a great GT car.

My only concern with the Z4M is the lack of noise. The S65 is a masterpiece, not only in terms of performance but so to the symphony it produces (I was very happy with the 2-pipe OEM mod). The S54 is very quiet in comparison, but I hope a CSL airbox will rectify that in the future as I'm not aware of any half decent exhaust setups on this car.

Happy motoring !
Appreciate 3