BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews
 
Mporium BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-24-2021, 12:57 PM   #1
HadesM3
Private First Class
United_States
111
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: Pair of e90's
Join Date: May 2016
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

e90/92 pricing - COVID impact?

As most of us have probably witnessed, used car prices have jumped up or at minimum flat for the "average" late model used car due to reduced production/inventory of new cars and stimulus money burning holes in pockets.

However, has C19 impacted pricing on lower demand older cars (10+ years) like our M3's similarly that are not seen as daily drivers to the masses?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 01:06 PM   #2
GeorgeA
Major
GeorgeA's Avatar
United_States
541
Rep
1,197
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesM3 View Post
As most of us have probably witnessed, used car prices have jumped up or at minimum flat for the "average" late model used car due to reduced production/inventory of new cars and stimulus money burning holes in pockets.

However, has C19 impacted pricing on lower demand older cars (10+ years) like our M3's similarly that are not seen as daily drivers to the masses?
Yes, prices have been going up on clean E9x M3’s. Many “fun” enthusiast cars have gone up in price, I think this isn’t only due to the shortage in new cars but the increase of cash (markets booming, gov handouts and less spending during lockdown). So many people now have more money to spend on sporty “fun” cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 01:17 PM   #3
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Cyberdemon's Avatar
1212
Rep
3,014
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (1)

The entire economy is inflated. If you haven't realized that after your last trip to the grocery store it'll hit you soon enough.

E9X prices are through the roof and get stupider by the day. For everyone who says "It'll never sell at that price" there's a $50k example that then goes away a few weeks/months later.

If the bubble finally pops you'll be in a better position if you want a "Deal".
__________________
Current: '20 X5, '11 E90 M3 Comp
Previous: '16 VW GTI, '15 M235i, '13 335i, '08 TL-S, '00 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 01:59 PM   #4
nrubenstein
Lieutenant
354
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: E30 M3/E36 M3/E46 M3/E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesM3 View Post
As most of us have probably witnessed, used car prices have jumped up or at minimum flat for the "average" late model used car due to reduced production/inventory of new cars and stimulus money burning holes in pockets.

However, has C19 impacted pricing on lower demand older cars (10+ years) like our M3's similarly that are not seen as daily drivers to the masses?
There's a much bigger "YOLO" factor impacting older fun cars that don't have a modern equivalent. The E9x M3 is just vintage enough to catch the edge of it, but not to the degree that it's impacted others.

Look at E30 M3 and 993 pricing over the last 18 months, for example.
__________________
2011.75 E90 M3 | 2006 GMC Sierra LBZ | 1995 M3 S50B32 | 1990 325is | 1989 M3 S54B32 | Hers: 1989 325iX | 1996 911 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 05:28 PM   #5
BimmerNugget
Crazy Frog
BimmerNugget's Avatar
United_States
388
Rep
1,082
Posts

Drives: L.L.Bean Bootmobile
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: 560 State Street

iTrader: (0)

Clean E9X M3's will remain flat at the current price or will slowly creep up in value over time. I cannot see clean E9X M3s getting cheaper, considering people are asking $20-25k for clean E46 M3s.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 06:17 PM   #6
acarr6
Lieutenant
259
Rep
422
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

With these prices I'm super super tempted to sell mine (supercharged, built stroker, brembos, bbs wheels, etc etc). Probably get the most money possible. But then again - why would I every sell an M3? 😅🥲
__________________
2011 M3 DCT * Built 4.4L Stroker * Gintani supercharger * Brembo GT * BBS FI * Nardo Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:06 PM   #7
Melbourn3
Private First Class
74
Rep
120
Posts

Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Prices have skyrocketed and I can’t find any decently priced anymore
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 08:37 AM   #8
nrubenstein
Lieutenant
354
Rep
574
Posts

Drives: E30 M3/E36 M3/E46 M3/E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr6 View Post
With these prices I'm super super tempted to sell mine (supercharged, built stroker, brembos, bbs wheels, etc etc). Probably get the most money possible. But then again - why would I every sell an M3? 😅🥲
Selling a heavily modded car is never a good deal.
__________________
2011.75 E90 M3 | 2006 GMC Sierra LBZ | 1995 M3 S50B32 | 1990 325is | 1989 M3 S54B32 | Hers: 1989 325iX | 1996 911 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:04 AM   #9
acarr6
Lieutenant
259
Rep
422
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrubenstein View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr6 View Post
With these prices I'm super super tempted to sell mine (supercharged, built stroker, brembos, bbs wheels, etc etc). Probably get the most money possible. But then again - why would I every sell an M3? 😅🥲
Selling a heavily modded car is never a good deal.
You'd be surprised
__________________
2011 M3 DCT * Built 4.4L Stroker * Gintani supercharger * Brembo GT * BBS FI * Nardo Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:20 AM   #10
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Cyberdemon's Avatar
1212
Rep
3,014
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr6 View Post
You'd be surprised
I wouldn't, I've bought and sold a lot of heavily modded cars down to the spreadsheet breakdown and parting out is consistently a better ROI than trying to sell the car with full mods.

The only time that equation doesn't make sense is if the cost and labor of removing the mod (like your stroked engine) is too cost-prohibitive.

Mods add pennies on the dollar to a complete vehicle. Parted out you can usually get anywhere between 50-75% of the original part cost depending on the condition and what it is.

More importantly, the majority of buyers would "prefer" a completely stock car for them to modify. A heavily modified car may be appealing to just the right buyer, but it narrows your market substantially.
__________________
Current: '20 X5, '11 E90 M3 Comp
Previous: '16 VW GTI, '15 M235i, '13 335i, '08 TL-S, '00 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
acarr6
Lieutenant
259
Rep
422
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarr6 View Post
You'd be surprised
I wouldn't, I've bought and sold a lot of heavily modded cars down to the spreadsheet breakdown and parting out is consistently a better ROI than trying to sell the car with full mods.

The only time that equation doesn't make sense is if the cost and labor of removing the mod (like your stroked engine) is too cost-prohibitive.

Mods add pennies on the dollar to a complete vehicle. Parted out you can usually get anywhere between 50-75% of the original part cost depending on the condition and what it is.

More importantly, the majority of buyers would "prefer" a completely stock car for them to modify. A heavily modified car may be appealing to just the right buyer, but it narrows your market substantially.
You'd be surprised man!
__________________
2011 M3 DCT * Built 4.4L Stroker * Gintani supercharger * Brembo GT * BBS FI * Nardo Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:30 AM   #12
tbuck
First Lieutenant
tbuck's Avatar
299
Rep
320
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2010 MINI R55 JCW
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Huntsville

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
I wouldn't, I've bought and sold a lot of heavily modded cars down to the spreadsheet breakdown and parting out is consistently a better ROI than trying to sell the car with full mods.

The only time that equation doesn't make sense is if the cost and labor of removing the mod (like your stroked engine) is too cost-prohibitive.

Mods add pennies on the dollar to a complete vehicle. Parted out you can usually get anywhere between 50-75% of the original part cost depending on the condition and what it is.

More importantly, the majority of buyers would "prefer" a completely stock car for them to modify. A heavily modified car may be appealing to just the right buyer, but it narrows your market substantially.
^This, of course.

Over the last year I was intently watching the market as I planned to purchase a stock(ish) garage queen example. I got very serious about it in the first 3 month of this year. During that time I would disregard heavily modded examples, but I still watched them out of curiosity anyway. Time and again these would sell for little or no more than an equally clean and mileaged stock example. Obviously there are exceptions to this, but the rule generally holds true. For this reason I have chosen only reversible mods for my car if I ever choose to sell it. And while it is a pain in the ass, I will be keeping all of those stock parts to reinstall when that day comes, lol!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2021, 11:10 PM   #13
HadesM3
Private First Class
United_States
111
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: Pair of e90's
Join Date: May 2016
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

What would you estimate the ballpark value is for a clean stock 2011 e90 6MT ZCP w/ 60k miles? It's well optioned, but does not have sunroof delete or single hump dash.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #14
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Cyberdemon's Avatar
1212
Rep
3,014
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadesM3 View Post
What would you estimate the ballpark value is for a clean stock 2011 e90 6MT ZCP w/ 60k miles? It's well optioned, but does not have sunroof delete or single hump dash.
Depending on color and condition you're looking at $35-45k in todays market. Overall spec and color combos play into it a lot. A white on bamboo car is going to be worth less than a blue on black for example.
__________________
Current: '20 X5, '11 E90 M3 Comp
Previous: '16 VW GTI, '15 M235i, '13 335i, '08 TL-S, '00 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2021, 04:23 PM   #15
HadesM3
Private First Class
United_States
111
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: Pair of e90's
Join Date: May 2016
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Depending on color and condition you're looking at $35-45k in todays market. Overall spec and color combos play into it a lot. A white on bamboo car is going to be worth less than a blue on black for example.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST