BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

09-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #45
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvictormp View Post
but did you feel a great decrease of the wheel hop or nothing?
Yea, it improved a lot when I did aluminum subframe mounts and powerflex purple poly diff bushings at the same time. It just didn't eliminate it, and I did it enough to cause another broken bolt. A stiffer poly mount could improve it further, but I'm done testing whine vs stiffness.
      09-09-2020, 09:09 AM   #46
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E92 6MT

Thanks! So I'll try it.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2020, 09:11 AM   #47
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
Quote:
but did you feel a great decrease of the wheel hop or nothing?
Yea, it improved a lot when I did aluminum subframe mounts and powerflex purple poly diff bushings at the same time. It just didn't eliminate it, and I did it enough to cause another broken bolt. A stiffer poly mount could improve it further, but I'm done testing whine vs stiffness.
Going aluminum diff bushings now?
      09-09-2020, 09:27 AM   #48
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Going aluminum diff bushings now?
Yep.
      11-12-2020, 11:07 PM   #49
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep

So guys, I ordered the solid SF bushings, waiting them to come.

I'd like to ask if it's possible to do it without disconnecting brake lines, like removing the calipers still attached to the brake lines, and let them "hang" somewhere free from the subframe movement.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 11:25 PM   #50
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
So guys, I ordered the solid SF bushings, waiting them to come.

I'd like to ask if it's possible to do it without disconnecting brake lines, like removing the calipers still attached to the brake lines, and let them "hang" somewhere free from the subframe movement.
No. To drop the subframe you'll disconnect the brake lines. But you can leave the calipers alone and connected to the adjoining lines on their respective axles.

You'll disconnect the 2x brake lines upstream. Just to the drivers side of the differential towards the front.
      11-12-2020, 11:38 PM   #51
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

@jvictormp there's a hard brake line that runs across the top of subframe to feed the rh rear caliper. There's a bracket which unfortunately is part of the subframe which joins the hard line to the flex line, that union has to be broken to remove the subframe. I attempted to drop the subframe and change the bush in place using a threaded cup set that can be purchased on eBay. I successfully removed the bush with this tool but pressing the solid bush was to no avail. I even upgraded all the threaded hardware for the cup set and dry iced the solid bush and could only get it 2/3's in. In the end I had to remove the subframe to get it into the press. It was a waste of time and $$ for the tool. I'd recommend dropping the assembly and using a press. I did research some hand hydraulic specialty tools that could get the job done but short of spending $1k on one I couldn't source it. I'm sure the pro's might know a quicker/better method. Also don't stretch the ebrake cable.. 😞 I currently have no ebrake.... rip stick incoming
Davisca4552207.50
      11-12-2020, 11:48 PM   #52
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
@jvictormp there's a hard brake line that runs across the top of subframe to feed the rh rear caliper. There's a bracket which unfortunately is part of the subframe which joins the hard line to the flex line, that union has to be broken to remove the subframe. I attempted to drop the subframe and change the bush in place using a threaded cup set that can be purchased on eBay. I successfully removed the bush with this tool but pressing the solid bush was to no avail. I even upgraded all the threaded hardware for the cup set and dry iced the solid bush and could only get it 2/3's in. In the end I had to remove the subframe to get it into the press. It was a waste of time and $$ for the tool. I'd recommend dropping the assembly and using a press. I did research some hand hydraulic specialty tools that could get the job done but short of spending $1k on one I couldn't source it. I'm sure the pro's might know a quicker/better method.
I used a 10 ton press like this for $130 from harbor freight. Suspended the subframe via engine hoist and rotated the ends into the press. Used the threaded cup set for the solid diff mounts though.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton...ess-33497.html

In think the best move is to remove the subframe. Strip it down and take it to a shop to have them pressed in / out.
      11-12-2020, 11:59 PM   #53
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

Lol yeah I have that same press, to clarify I was attempting to leave the diff, driveshaft, axles etc. in the assembly and change them. Just drop the assembly 12" off the car. It wasn't happening with a eBay cup set. In the end I pulled the subframe out and put it in the H frame harbor freight special. The HFS though is definitely worth its weight in... iron? They go with a pop
      11-13-2020, 12:12 AM   #54
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Lol yeah I have that same press, to clarify I was attempting to leave the diff, driveshaft, axles etc. in the assembly and change them. Just drop the assembly 12" off the car. It wasn't happening with a eBay cup set. In the end I pulled the subframe out and put it in the H frame harbor freight special. The HFS though is definitely worth its weight in... iron? They go with a pop
Yeah I realized that after reading your post for a second time. Reading comprehension 🤦🏻*♂️...
      11-13-2020, 07:10 PM   #55
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep

Thanks.

About trying to use dry ice, did you guys also try to heat the subframe with some torch or heat gun?

I ain't got no dry ice or liquid nitrogen, so I'm thinking on 24 hours of freezer, plus heat gun.

It may affect my clarity of decision that one's got only one chance, right? If he gets to push the bushing 1/3 into the subframe, and it stucks, he's not gonna be able to pull it off again to make a second attempt.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 08:51 PM   #56
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

About trying to use dry ice, did you guys also try to heat the subframe with some torch or heat gun?

I ain't got no dry ice or liquid nitrogen, so I'm thinking on 24 hours of freezer, plus heat gun.

It may affect my clarity of decision that one's got only one chance, right? If he gets to push the bushing 1/3 into the subframe, and it stucks, he's not gonna be able to pull it off again to make a second attempt.
I tried heat gun which doesn't get hot enough really, thought about blow torch or oxy/acetylene but didn't want to damage the subframe or stress the steel/make it brittle. Some light blow torching probably wouldn't hurt but it'll just heat soak the subframe and new aluminum bush probably which would work against the ice. You could probably hammer it out if it doesn't go in all the way but the bush is aluminum and it will gouge as it goes in so then you might have high spots on the next attempt. There has been people who have successfully used a sledge/lump hammer to get them in providing you can get enough space to swing it with a hard wood medium to protect the hardware of course.
      01-12-2021, 06:25 AM   #57
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep

Hey guys. I was looking the TIS about rubber bushings replacement, and it says to use a kind of oil in the new bushing before inserting.

Can I do that with the aluminum bushings?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:24 AM   #58
Move Over
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Quote:
Hey guys. I was looking the TIS about rubber bushings replacement, and it says to use a kind of oil in the new bushing before inserting.

Can I do that with the aluminum bushings?
Oil/grease won't really help with aluminum bushings. I just did some solid trailing arm bushings and all the grease I used just simply pushed out when the bushing went in. Too tight of a fit.

Grab yourself a propane torch, and a cooler full of dry ice to put the bushings in before the job. Work quick and take them out one at a time.
      01-12-2021, 07:31 AM   #59
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

I also wanted to chime in here about AKG bushings.

The car I purchased had AKG solid bushings installed, when I bought it, I had some really nasty clicking/clunking back there. I did a couple of track days and really started bugging me. I thought it may had just been the nature of solid diff bushings.

I went to go pull my diff and I noticed that the bushings were able to be slid out BY HAND and had some side to side play. I reached out to AKG and they said this was not normal, however the bushings were about .5mm smaller than bimmerworlds, MS and VAC solid bushings.

AKG was great and swapped the solid bushings out for poly 75D, and those fit much, much better. The solid bushings were 48.7mm and the poly bushings were 49.21. Big difference in my opinion and just enough to fix my "problem".

So just food for thought if you are thinking about going solid, maybe measure your tolerances before you go with AKG solid bushings because you may run into the same issues I did. The bushing recesses for me were about 49.01 front and 48.9 rear. And, if you feel like any diff bushing went into the recess too easily, it probably did. The 75d poly bushings took a good bit of force with a deadblow and a press for the rear bushing.
      01-12-2021, 11:35 PM   #60
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep

What about this procedure guys? (0:44)

Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 06:12 AM   #61
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
What about this procedure guys? (0:44)

Yeah that's how most of these "presses" work. Two things bout the video:
1. make sure you don't press bushings in sideways like that. A little bit is ok but that's how you warp sleeves and wind up buying a new subframe. He's lucky his corrected as quickly as it did.
2. I'm not sure if we have two piece sandwich bushings like that available, if so, that makes the process a heck of a lot easier
      01-13-2021, 06:31 PM   #62
Throatpunch
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

This guy did it with subframe on car. Anyone try it this way?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2021, 09:05 PM   #63
Move Over
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throatpunch View Post

Shouldn't be much of an issue, all the bushings are pretty exposed once the diff is out
      01-13-2021, 09:22 PM   #64
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throatpunch View Post

I just skimmed the vid but it looks like he only did the diff bush on the car which I did originally too using the same cup kit he used. I did attempt to do the subframe bush by just lowering the subframe about 10" and managed to get the old ones out but couldn't get the new ones in using this tool https://www.ebay.com/itm/333158778716. In the end I cost myself some time and $ and had to pull the subframe. From what I've read malek @ MRF does them with the subframe still attached but uses his own spec bushings. Knowing how much pressure it takes to get the bush in the sleeves on the BW spec bushing I can't see a work around without an expensive specialized hydraulic tool at ones disposal.
      02-05-2021, 10:57 AM   #65
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep

I'm doing only subframe bushings.

Can I drop the subframe with the diff bolted on it, only drive shaft removed?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2021, 12:59 PM   #66
jvictormp
Captain
Brazil
Rep

Hey guys. I'm doing the job right now. I'm removing the brake disc in order to disconnect the hand brake cable.

I already removed the two bolts that hold the disc to axle and loosen it up, so it's moving, but there something holding it back. I don't know what that could be.

Edit: forget about it, it was the hand brake itself, it was pulled.
Appreciate 0