BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-20-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 Audi SQ5

Dinan Rear Exhaust X-Pipe (Challenge/Macht Schnell?)

Hi all,

My '09 had full Dinan exhaust (muffler/x-pipe) and I loved it, but on my '13 I'm currently running Dinan rear with test pipes.

I am looking for something a bit louder than my full Dinan setup. The Dinan midpipe has 2 resonators each side, so I was looking at the Macht Schnell (1 resonator each side) or Challenge Race PLUS (no resonators). Only concern is that less resonators, or lack of all together, will make the car sound terrible. Challenge race plus will be insanely loud, so leaning towards the MS.

Anyone on here ran either setup? The test pipes sound great, not as great as the Dinan midpipe, but kind of ready for a change.

Thanks!
13 Mineral White E92 M3 (Sold)
11 Melbourne Red E92 M3 (Sold)

Last edited by BAMFM3; 03-09-2017 at 04:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: White E93 M3

I say buy that used Gintani X-pipe in the for sale section for $1,000 I just went from test pipes with 2nd resonator to delete to one of their x-pipes and the sound got so much better. A lot more volume and the rasp totally disappeared. It sounds extremely clean and extremely mean.
Gintani Supercharger/ Gintani x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

So you were running secondary cats as well? The Dinan midpipe sounded awesome on my old setup just want a little louder
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 06:27 PM   #4
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMFM3 View Post
So you were running secondary cats as well? The Dinan midpipe sounded awesome on my old setup just want a little louder
No I had Macht Schnell test pipes and a shop near by cut off the secondary cats and weld in straight pipe. I went from that to a Gintani X-pipe and got a nice boost in sound and since i'm supercharged I believe power too thanks to the relocated X merge.
Gintani Supercharger/ Gintani x-pipe/ Challenge rear muffler section powder coated black/ Alpine DCT Tune & Coding/ Republic Werkz modded headlights and tail lights/ Gloss black cosmetics, hood vents, and mirror caps/ Piano Black interior trim, Roof painted black by Ranz Motorsports/ Velos Designwerkz Solo V's/ KW V3's/ MRF Solid sub-frame bushings W/ Delrin Diff bushings/ Duke Dynamics CSL Trunk/ Euro bumper/ Full Dinmann aero kit.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #5
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedE93 View Post
No I had Macht Schnell test pipes and a shop near by cut off the secondary cats and weld in straight pipe. I went from that to a Gintani X-pipe and got a nice boost in sound and since i'm supercharged I believe power too thanks to the relocated X merge.
Ahh okay. I did see that Gintani for sale here. Temping...

Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #6
WickedE93
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ahh okay. I did see that Gintani for sale here. Temping...

Thanks for the input!
You're very welcome
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #7
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Bump, anyone running Dinan mufflers with MS/Challenge Race X-pipe?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2017, 10:12 AM   #8
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Bump, anyone running Dinan mufflers with MS/Challenge Race X-pipe?
I have the ms x pipe and dinan rears and love it. i sometimes wish it were louder but in reality it's plenty loud.

i had an agency power style exhaust before it and it sounded perfect but droned too much under 3,000 steady rpms. the dinan cured that.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 03:59 PM   #9
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón View Post
I have the ms x pipe and dinan rears and love it. i sometimes wish it were louder but in reality it's plenty loud.

i had an agency power style exhaust before it and it sounded perfect but droned too much under 3,000 steady rpms. the dinan cured that.
Awesome! Thanks a bunch! I think that's enough convincing to me to swap out my test pipes lol.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2017, 04:56 PM   #10
kevin @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

As far as I know Challenge isnt making x-pipes anymore. The Only way you would find one is used.

Since you already have test pipes you would get a sound increase by deleting the secondary cats by going with a Macht Schnell X-pipe. Also a slight power increase as well. I would recommend the Macht Schnell X-pipe.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 08:59 PM   #11
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
As far as I know Challenge isnt making x-pipes anymore. The Only way you would find one is used.

Since you already have test pipes you would get a sound increase by deleting the secondary cats by going with a Macht Schnell X-pipe. Also a slight power increase as well. I would recommend the Macht Schnell X-pipe.
Good to know, makes my decision even easier! Was really interested in going Race+ but wasn't sure about rasp.

I see your MS x-pipe on your site, do you guys also stock donut gaskets and the M10 star bolts/nuts (header to x-pipe)? I was going to grab some from ECS Tuning but would be easier to get all from one vendor.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 09:16 PM   #12
schnell1982
Captain
Rep
Drives: FAST

Who makes Macht Schnell ?
As in, does anyone know more about this company ?
I heard its a company in Orange County CA
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #13
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

I'm in a similar boat. I currently have a full DINAN exhaust (catless midpipe and rear section). It sounds AMAZING and has no drone, but I find myself wanting a little more noise. My plan is to keep my DINAN midpipe and change the rear section - probably Eisenmann Race. The combination sounds great and it still has very little drone.
      03-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #14
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsac25 View Post
I'm in a similar boat. I currently have a full DINAN exhaust (catless midpipe and rear section). It sounds AMAZING and has no drone, but I find myself wanting a little more noise. My plan is to keep my DINAN midpipe and change the rear section - probably Eisenmann Race. The combination sounds great and it still has very little drone.
I think the full Dinan system is the best sounding exhaust for this car. But I do wish it was a smidge louder. I attribute the awesome tone of the car to the mufflers, not the midpipe, so that is why I am switching the midpipe out in hopes of keeping the same tone just louder.

I really wanted the Challenge Race+ which is just straight pipes but I think it would be way too raspy and probably too loud for daily driving. Not sure when you plan on buying but when I get everything installed I'll make a video since there aren't many Dinan videos out there!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2017, 01:28 AM   #15
rks68rt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Dinan ZCP Black DCT

For those running the full Dinan exhaust, where did you get the Dinan mid pipe from? I do not see anything other than dinan rear cans for sale on Dinan's website?
If anyone wants to sell their Dinan mid pipe, just let me know.
thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 07:57 AM   #16
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

Quote:
I think the full Dinan system is the best sounding exhaust for this car. But I do wish it was a smidge louder. I attribute the awesome tone of the car to the mufflers, not the midpipe, so that is why I am switching the midpipe out in hopes of keeping the same tone just louder.

I really wanted the Challenge Race+ which is just straight pipes but I think it would be way too raspy and probably too loud for daily driving. Not sure when you plan on buying but when I get everything installed I'll make a video since there aren't many Dinan videos out there!
Ahh I see I see. Yeah, I agree with you. I think straight pipes would be too raspy and loud. You'll probably want something with at least 1 set of resonators. I thought about removing a set of resonators off the DINAN midpipe (since there are 4 total), but I dont really want to hack up that piece.

We definitely need more DINAN videos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks68rt View Post
For those running the full Dinan exhaust, where did you get the Dinan mid pipe from? I do not see anything other than dinan rear cans for sale on Dinan's website?
thanks!
DINAN midpipes are discontinued, I believe. They do pop up on the FOR SALE section from time to time. Just gotta watch for them.
      03-27-2017, 03:09 PM   #17
swanlake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell1982
Who makes Macht Schnell ?
As in, does anyone know more about this company ?
I heard its a company in Orange County CA
Macht Schnell is made by EAS...
      03-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #18
Patrón
PAZUZU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekakke View Post
that's the first i've heard or read about that. i had their pullies, filters and xpipe and the quality is A+.

2009 M3 DCT ESS625+ SOLD
2015 M4 BSM/Silverstone F4LCON
@texasMclub IG @jagemoets
Appreciate 1
BAMFM366.50
      03-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #19
BAMFM3
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
thanks!
The Borla x-pipe is quad resonated and is almost identical to the Dinan midpipe. Correct, Dinan midpipes are discontinued. Check out the Borla, might be another option for you. I looked at them but wanted something a little louder so I went with MS.

Quote:
Ahh I see I see. Yeah, I agree with you. I think straight pipes would be too raspy and loud. You'll probably want something with at least 1 set of resonators. I thought about removing a set of resonators off the DINAN midpipe (since there are 4 total), but I dont really want to hack up that piece.

So I actually found a dyno video of a guy running Dinan mufflers/MS x-pipe. Go to YouTube and type "Dinan muffler macht schnell" and look for a red E92 M3 I think the username is "S S". Had a few different videos. But that's literally the only video I have seen besides your normal full Dinan or Dinan/test pipe combo.

MS x-pipes are on a 2 week delay right now so I'll try to post a video next month whenever it comes in and installed.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2017, 05:15 PM   #20
swanlake
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrón
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluekakke View Post
that's the first i've heard or read about that. i had their pullies, filters and xpipe and the quality is A+.
I wasn't implying they aren't good quality parts. Simply that it should be understood there is a reason EAS pushes MS so hard while no other vendors even carry the MS product line. If you want proof run a "whois" prompt for europeanautosource.com and machtschnell.com and you'll find both addresses are registered to the same domain hosting company and the two domains were created on the same day at exactly the same time.
      04-18-2017, 10:47 AM   #21
m4dawin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '15 AY F82 || '11 AW E93

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The Borla x-pipe is quad resonated and is almost identical to the Dinan midpipe. Correct, Dinan midpipes are discontinued. Check out the Borla, might be another option for you. I looked at them but wanted something a little louder so I went with MS.

So I actually found a dyno video of a guy running Dinan mufflers/MS x-pipe. Go to YouTube and type "Dinan muffler macht schnell" and look for a red E92 M3 I think the username is "S S". Had a few different videos. But that's literally the only video I have seen besides your normal full Dinan or Dinan/test pipe combo.

MS x-pipes are on a 2 week delay right now so I'll try to post a video next month whenever it comes in and installed.
That setup is from a dude in this forum Bx Tpr . maybe he can provide you more links! I'm also going this setup, just waiting for MS X-pipe to go on sale in this forum
Appreciate 1
Bx Tpr122.50
      04-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #22
Bx Tpr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 23 CSL

Quote:
Quote:
thanks!

Quote:

Thats my red M3 with the Dinan and MS mid on YouTube. The Dinan mufflers do an amazing job of keeping the car civil. The drone is almost non existant and just driving around town it sounded like I had the oem muffler. The car sounded absolutely amazing when giving her the beans though. One of my favorite sounding exhausts combined with the MS mid at WOT. The only reason I sold was it was still too quiet with the Bimmerworld headers and catless mid. I put an MPE on and that fixed everything lol
Appreciate 0