BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

02-01-2024, 02:36 PM   #1
relevante
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Power steering pump direction change -- confused

I have an early 2008 build that came with the clockwise-turning power steering pump. I'm replacing the pump and so need to swap out to make it turn counter-clockwise. I also want to replace all the idler pulleys and tensioners while I'm in there.

I bought all the parts from FCP, selecting the after 5/15/2008 parts, but the idler pulley and bolt don't look right at all. The bolt is way too long, and because it doesn't have the offset portion that the original had it wouldn't line up with the crank pulley anyway.

Was I just mistaken that I needed to change all the other parts out? Should I actually be using the pre-5/15/2008 pulleys/tensioners and just change the pump and belt (and route the belt the new way)?

RealOEM shows different part numbers for clockwise vs counter-clockwise pumps, but now I'm wondering if those pertain to the original spec of the car and not the replacement pump? As the subject says...I'm confused.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 12:17 AM   #2
fs34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Not being a search nazi, but this info is on the site, try here:

Some extra part number info is here that may helpful

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...Pulleys&page=3
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2024, 03:41 AM   #3
relevante
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. I actually saw that thread, but it's all just about replacing pulleys, not converting to the counter-clockwise pump, at least as far as I understood it. I've looked around and have yet to find a thread on this other than this one:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446885

but that guy concluded that he had to change out a bunch of extra stuff, including his oil filter housing, which I don't think is right. At least it's not mentioned on FCP Euro. Looking back at their site it says: "Up to 5/15/2008, cars with originally equipped clockwise rotating pumps will need to update the tensioner pulley and belt to accommodate this anticlockwise rotating pump."

It actually doesn't mention changing to the new idler pulley (I must have just assumed that when I made my initial order), so I'm thinking possibly I just need to use an old style idler pulley and a new style tensioner setup. Whether that means just the pulley and the spring loaded component are different or the whole assembly including the metal component, I'm not sure. Last night I just ordered basically the remainder of all the components for both configurations, so unless someone has a definite answer on what's right, I should be able to just mix and match and make something that works and return the rest.

I do have a question in with the techs at FCP Euro as well waiting for a response. In any case I think I'm just waiting until next week when the other parts arrive.

Last edited by relevante; 02-02-2024 at 04:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 06:40 AM   #4
relevante
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just as an update here, I have the additional parts, and it's really no less confusing. The pulley I got from FCP Euro that should have been for the after 2008 build dates actually matched my old one. And the one that should have been for the old build dates is a little smaller, and I think actually what should be used for the new configuration.

The tensioner stuff all looks exactly the same, but I don't know if maybe one has a stiffer spring or something like that. Anyway, it's not rocket science, so I'm pretty sure some combination of the parts I have will work without too much trouble, but what exactly the BMW engineers intended in terms of converting from the old style to the new is definitely unclear.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2024, 09:04 PM   #5
relevante
Enlisted Member
Rep

I've put close to 1,000 miles on the car since the change and all seems good. Here are the parts I used to refresh everything and swap over to the new pump configuration (all bought from FCP Euro):

PS Idler Pulley: 11287841228
PS Tensioner Pulley: INA-5320557100
PS Tensioner Cylinder: 11287841546
PS Belt: CON-6DK1100
PS Pump: Bosch Reman 32412283002

It's a little bit of a mashup of parts from the original and new configuration. Specifically, I had to use the old style idler pulley.

I pretty much ended up buying all of the parts for both configurations and then putting it together and returning what I didn't use, so I hope this helps someone doing the swap in the future.
Appreciate 3
rhyary1563.00
NiBe453.00
      03-16-2024, 01:25 PM   #6
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

sub
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2024, 09:48 PM   #7
e90sanmarino
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by relevante View Post
Thanks. I actually saw that thread, but it's all just about replacing pulleys, not converting to the counter-clockwise pump, at least as far as I understood it. I've looked around and have yet to find a thread on this other than this one:

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446885

but that guy concluded that he had to change out a bunch of extra stuff, including his oil filter housing, which I don't think is right. At least it's not mentioned on FCP Euro. Looking back at their site it says: "Up to 5/15/2008, cars with originally equipped clockwise rotating pumps will need to update the tensioner pulley and belt to accommodate this anticlockwise rotating pump."

It actually doesn't mention changing to the new idler pulley (I must have just assumed that when I made my initial order), so I'm thinking possibly I just need to use an old style idler pulley and a new style tensioner setup. Whether that means just the pulley and the spring loaded component are different or the whole assembly including the metal component, I'm not sure. Last night I just ordered basically the remainder of all the components for both configurations, so unless someone has a definite answer on what's right, I should be able to just mix and match and make something that works and return the rest.

I do have a question in with the techs at FCP Euro as well waiting for a response. In any case I think I'm just waiting until next week when the other parts arrive.
Im in the process of swapping the old filter housing and my new one has a different hole and bolt for the pulley. You can check it out on my stroker build thread. I ended up buying everything to convert to CCW pump. Glad you got everything sorted out
Appreciate 0