BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

EXXEL Distributions

09-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

Track Day clean up for clear bra - tire bits

Hi Folks - I went to the track this past week with my alpine white M and at the end of the day I noticed quite a bit of black marks around the fenders and front bumper of the car. They are bits of tire rubbing off of other cars (and my own) that hit my fenders and front bumper making black "scuff" marks...

For the areas where it was on the clear coat, it came right off fairly easily (I have a couple coats of polish on it). However, where the tire compounds hit the areas where I have a 3M clear protectant, the tire marks are not coming off easy at all. Actually, the more I try to wash with soap and water, the more the marks actually smear...

Does anyone know what I should do to get this stuff off? Is there a product you can buy that will make this easier (and not damage the clear bra)?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
JJM335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
You should be able to use paint or plastic polish/cleaner like ScratchX. If your clear bra is like mine, it has a clear coat and can be treated like paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
MTROIS
Major
France
Rep
Drives: on the wrong side of the Ocean

Can't you simply replace the clear bra?? I thought this was the whole point, no?

Anyhow, I also heard that some people are using WD-40 to remove these marks.
      09-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
dawgdog
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2016 GT3

I use Duragloss Tar & Bug remover to remove the marks on my car. I do not have a clear bra but these do not come off easily without a product like this, even on the paint. I get a lot along the sideskirts where it is hard to see them but I want them off anyway.
      09-15-2009, 11:58 PM   #5
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgdog View Post
I use Duragloss Tar & Bug remover to remove the marks on my car. I do not have a clear bra but these do not come off easily without a product like this, even on the paint. I get a lot along the sideskirts where it is hard to see them but I want them off anyway.
I use Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover on my painted areas. Black rubber marks wipe right off. I've used it on clear bra as well and it works fine there too.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Fen335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 / X5d / Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJM335 View Post
You should be able to use paint or plastic polish/cleaner like ScratchX. If your clear bra is like mine, it has a clear coat and can be treated like paint.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll pick up som ScratchX and see if that does the trick on getting those rubber bits off the clear bra.

Additional question - I didn't realize that the clear bra scratches so easily (I scratched mine where I was trying to get the tire marks off with soap and water). Is there something you can do to remove the scratch in the clear bra (not the paint)? Will ScratchX help with that too?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #7
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen335i View Post
Thanks for the tips guys. I'll pick up som ScratchX and see if that does the trick on getting those rubber bits off the clear bra.

Additional question - I didn't realize that the clear bra scratches so easily (I scratched mine where I was trying to get the tire marks off with soap and water). Is there something you can do to remove the scratch in the clear bra (not the paint)? Will ScratchX help with that too?
You could certainly give wax a shot.

To your original point - I'm not surprised regarding the tire marks. I waxed my car last weekend, and I noticed that the wax was much more stubborn to remove from my clear bra than from my paint. It should still come out, nonetheless.
Appreciate 0