BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

BPM

09-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #1
muzeon
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 e90 M3,'71Fiat500,'64 356

Car Wash Scratches Wheels?

Hi all,
Just bought a new 2009 e90 M3 last week. This morning, I brought the car to my usual car wash in Glendale, CA (took my previous 335i to them too). The guy noticed I have a new car, and warned me about the OEM 19" wheels that they lined up fairly straight from the tires, so getting curb rash is pretty high. He said there is a chance the wheels may get scratched while on the automatic rail when going through the car wash. So recommended hand wash (more $$). Said most of his clients who have M3s do that, only those whose wheels are already messed up then do the regular wash.

Is this true? I didn't want to take the chance so I had them do hand wash.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
donnynsc
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 GT-R Black Edition DMG

I won't let machine car wash touch my M3.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #3
OneHump
Rep
Drives: M3

I think it's a really bad idea to take any car you care about through a car wash. The same holds true for letting someone else hand wash your car. If you really care about your car, you need to hand wash it yourself using double buckets. You could also pay a professional detailer to do it as well if you're willing to spend the money.

These cars are very low to the ground with fat tires. There is certainly the opportunity for damage. Aside from that, no car wash in the world is going to wash your car without creating swirls and other paint defects. This is especially important if you have dark paint.

Check out http://www.autopia.org/ for more info about car care.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

Yes, car washes can easily destroy your wheels. They're really designed for the balloons that used to come on cars in the 70s and 80s.

Also, washing your car in ANY automatic wash that's not 100% touch-free, even one that doesn't use those spinning toothbrush looking deals, is going to end up marring your paint.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #5
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzeon View Post
Hi all,
Just bought a new 2009 e90 M3 last week. This morning, I brought the car to my usual car wash in Glendale, CA (took my previous 335i to them too). The guy noticed I have a new car, and warned me about the OEM 19" wheels that they lined up fairly straight from the tires, so getting curb rash is pretty high. He said there is a chance the wheels may get scratched while on the automatic rail when going through the car wash. So recommended hand wash (more $$). Said most of his clients who have M3s do that, only those whose wheels are already messed up then do the regular wash.

Is this true? I didn't want to take the chance so I had them do hand wash.

Don't run a $70k+ car through the automatic carwash; pay the extra $10-$15 and get it hand washed. Running it through the automatic carwash can cause swirls in the paint or even scratches. The track that guides the car can damage the rim due to the low profile of the tire. I have seen some of these tracks with plastic guard but I wouldn't risk it.

-SZ
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
OneHump
Rep
Drives: M3

I think most here have the right idea, but hand washing is no better. Most of these guys either throw the wash mit on the ground prior to touching your car or into a bucket of grit. The only safe way to wash your car is with a rinse bucket followed by a soap bucket.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
vividracing
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F30 335i, F80 M3

Like everyone's said the potential damage to the wheel is huge.
There are some places here that basically use a giant conveyor belt (about 8ft wide), so no rails/guides to scratch the wheels. But the other issue is paint damage. The brushes are going to kill your paint. Have it hand-washed (by a place that knows what they're doing) every time.
PM, Email, or Call Directly for aggressive BMW Member Pricing
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
SUB-ZERO
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 + Spur, DB11, F12, X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHump View Post
I think most here have the right idea, but hand washing is no better. Most of these guys either throw the wash mit on the ground prior to touching your car or into a bucket of grit. The only safe way to wash your car is with a rinse bucket followed by a soap bucket.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #9
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

It's easier to just do it yourself and you'll get some good quality time with your car. Also, you don't have to use the two bucket method if you have a good bucket with a grit guard.

Also, try a grout sponge instead of a mitt. I know it sounds odd but it works, and works well. Even better than ANY mitt I've ever used. And the best part is they're all of a dollar at Lowe's. And the best part is they're all of a dollar.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 01:21 PM   #10
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

auto car wash =
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #11
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
I would place my car in an automatic carwash with foam brush before I would ever take my car to a hand wash service. At least auto wash constantly rinse the brushes as it goes along the car.

Ultimately you are best to take the time and do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2009, 01:54 PM   #12
muzeon
Private
Rep
Drives: '09 e90 M3,'71Fiat500,'64 356

Wow, errr thanks all for your input. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't taken advantage of by the car wash guy! Didn't have time right now, but plan to get a pro detailer come by my house soon to detail it etc. Yeah, was keeping a close eye on them when they hand washed it. I have seen many nice cars going this car wash before.

But if anyone has any recc for good car wash guy/detailer in Los Angeles area, please let me know! Thanks!
Appreciate 0