BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

06-06-2009, 09:34 PM   #1
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

My Turn for the EDC Malfunction

I got the ED Malfunction yesterday. I immediately went to my dealer and showed them the error message. It is now scheduled for service this coming Tuesday, need a loan car. The car is still very much driveable but the suspension is very stiff, defaulted to sports mode I guess. I already checked the connectors and seems OK. I just hope that they will have the parts needed.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Sorry to hear that man. How many miles? Did it happen all of a sudden and without reason, or after some mods like springs, etc? Please keep us posted. Those things suppose to be pretty reliable, but this car has so much electronic crap, it's scary. The shocks are the same found on Corvettes (magnetorheological, or some crap like that) correct? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
.. but this car has so much electronic crap, it's scary.
only for those that got tech package and/or EDC
my non edc has no problems with electronics

a spring is a spring
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
I was referring to the car as a whole. I'm not worried about the shocks, by the way. They're very reliable once not defective (and only a handful have failed... and right away). But yes, the less electronics the better off you are reliability wise. But the car is much more enjoyable fully loaded IMO. Take care.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #5
knifegun
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
I was referring to the car as a whole. I'm not worried about the shocks, by the way. They're very reliable once not defective (and only a handful have failed... and right away). But yes, the less electronics the better off you are reliability wise. But the car is much more enjoyable fully loaded IMO. Take care.
+1 on both points.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #6
valeram
Major
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear that man. How many miles? Did it happen all of a sudden and without reason, or after some mods like springs, etc? Please keep us posted. Those things suppose to be pretty reliable, but this car has so much electronic crap, it's scary. The shocks are the same found on Corvettes (magnetorheological, or some crap like that) correct? Thx.
Already 10500 miles on it and it just happened instantly while I was driving and the suspension got stiff. No mods installed unless you consider a rubber mat a mod . From previous post of other E90's M3 owner who had the same problem, there are 3 possible causes for this EDC malfunction. One of course is the loose connectors. The others are problem with the EDC modules and the busted shock.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 07:42 AM   #7
valeram
Major
Rep

Quote:

a spring is a spring
You better be sure. I wonder how your car will run without electronics?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
Already 10500 miles on it and it just happened instantly while I was driving and the suspension got stiff. No mods installed unless you consider a rubber mat a mod .
Crap. And I was going to get rubber mats . Thanks for the info buddy. There're a lot of miles if a shock is defective. I really doubt it's a loose connection (that's why I asked if any mods). And since the default mode (without current) is soft, so my money is in the module. Good luck man, and please keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 09:21 AM   #9
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:

a spring is a spring
hahaha.....Almost everywhere you post, you speak as if the extra electronic gizmos and extra leather are against your religion....hahaha.....But the ironic thing is that I'm the same exact way like you!!! That's why I also ordered my M3 stripped with barely any options at all!

Quote:
It's the opposite for me. The car is more enjoyable to me when it is much less loaded.

Quote:
I don't think "kmarei" meant no electronics at all....hahaha....Although your point was funny. What he probably meant was the less gizmos, the less the stress and less future malfunctions.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #10
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
ok how about this?
my car won't have problems with electronics IN THE EDC SYSTEM

better?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #11
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
hahaha.....Almost everywhere you post, you speak as if the extra electronic gizmos and extra leather are against your religion..
I don't think "kmarei" meant no electronics at all....hahaha....Although your point was funny. What he probably meant was the less gizmos, the less the stress and less future malfunctions.
you are correct, i started with an M3 E30
so it is against my religion

well i know i don't have any lag issues (no DCT)
i never had a problem with the EDC (no EDC)

and the only electrical problem i've had is once the stereo crashed
and i had to stop and restart the car to fix it
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 01:33 PM   #12
valeram
Major
Rep

Quote:
ok how about this?
my car won't have problems with electronics IN THE EDC SYSTEM

better?
What about this. My car with busted EDC is just like yours, a single setting suspension.

I know that some people don't like gizmos while others do. Why do you have to be critical for others misfortune instead of just being constructive? Just be .
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 01:50 PM   #13
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Quote:

a spring is a spring

The truth is that the EDC systems have been very reliable over the years. I have yet to encounter a problem personally, and similar systems have been on E38, E65, E60 M5, E6x M6, and E9x M3. Usually very trouble free.

Unfortunately, even stripped down the car has a lot of modules and electronics. No way around that these days. I started out looking for a very low optioned E90 and ended up with a loaded one. I can say that I would feel cheated if I had got one without the M-drive feature.
      06-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #14
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

How about we all had the same opportunity to option our M3's the way we wanted and the way we would be most happy with.....And our unique M3's satisfy each of us the way we wanted it to.

Now it's all cool!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #15
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
How about we all had the same opportunity to option our M3's the way we wanted and the way we would be most happy with.....And our unique M3's satisfy each of us the way we wanted it to.

Now it's all cool!

Not so true for me, as I got mine at the end of '08 when they were trying to blow them out. I wanted a speed cloth sedan with very few options but ended up with a loaded (everything but DCT) car we had on the lot. After all the end of the year rebates, some extra discounts to move the car, and my BMW employee discount, lets just say they made me a deal I could not refuse

Believe me when I say I'm not a guy who is into technology in general. I have a crappy cell phone, a basic computer, etc. I just got into the whole i-pod thing a couple years ago. But I do love modern technology in my cars. Going from a stripped 335i to this car, I can appreciate some of the things I did not have before (bluetooth,Nav, m-drive, EDC, ect.). If I want a "pure" driving experience, I fire up the '67.
      06-07-2009, 07:28 PM   #16
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
Not so true for me, as I got mine at the end of '08 when they were trying to blow them out. I wanted a speed cloth sedan with very few options but ended up with a loaded (everything but DCT) car we had on the lot. After all the end of the year rebates, some extra discounts to move the car, and my BMW employee discount, lets just say they made me a deal I could not refuse

Believe me when I say I'm not a guy who is into technology in general. I have a crappy cell phone, a basic computer, etc. I just got into the whole i-pod thing a couple years ago. But I do love modern technology in my cars. Going from a stripped 335i to this car, I can appreciate some of the things I did not have before (bluetooth,Nav, m-drive, EDC, ect.). If I want a "pure" driving experience, I fire up the '67.
uhhhhhh.......A dealership located a few hours away from me had one '08 Sedan left and it was fully loaded. I mean it had the silverstone metallic paint, tech pkg, fox red leather, cold weather, 19 inch wheels, and almost every extra option you can imagine. The dealership was offering SERIOUS incentives including the $7500 "trunk money" on top of the discount they usually give, which ranges to a total discount from $10-15K, and perhaps even close to $20K off.

Guess what? I turned away from that M3 just because I wasn't happy with the too many options it had, and the type of options it had. Who knows, I probably could've got that M3 for the same price as the "stripped" '09 M3 that I just ordered.....Or I could've even got it a few grand cheaper than the $56K "out the door" deal that I made on the '09.

The fact is that I knew I wasn't going to be happy with that M3. And so I paid a few grand more and ordered an '09 e90 M3 that I would be completely happy with. My purpose of saying all this is because I placed more importance on getting my M3 Sedan exactly the way I wanted, and I didn't place more importance on getting the bargain of the century. Although I must admit, whoever took advantage of getting a remaining '08 M3 with that HUGE incentive.....I feel that you all truly got awesome deals.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2009, 09:37 PM   #17
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
My purpose of saying all this is because I placed more importance on getting my M3 Sedan exactly the way I wanted, and I didn't place more importance on getting the bargain of the century. [/B] Although I must admit, whoever took advantage of getting a remaining '08 M3 with that HUGE incentive.....I feel that you all truly got awesome deals.

I am usually as picky as could be in selecting a car. There were a few options that my new car HAD to have. Otherwise, I was trying to keep the cost down and eliminate some things I really didn't care about. This was the plan from the start.

I have found that having extra options (other than the cost) really doesn't bother me; its not having those things that you really wanted that can make you regret a purchase. In the end, I'm glad I have some of the things I was not planning to get (premium sound, for example).

Getting a loaded car was never part of the plan, but if I told you what I paid for my car, you'd probably kick me in the nuts
      06-08-2009, 10:10 PM   #18
tailgate1234
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan Silverstone II

My EDC has been acting strangely since I got the car - it doesn't seem to work at all - I can't tell any difference at all in ride between the 3 modes - took my car to the dealer, dealer found an error code for the "EDC actuator" - reset the error code - and I've seen no difference at all. Will take back to the dealer at my appx. 15k service but I'm not confident they will do anything. Has anybody else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #19
valeram
Major
Rep

Update:

They replaced the Rear Driver side harness connector. Initially, they thought that it was just a loose connection but the EDC malfunction returned after their test drive. They ordered the parts but it took a couple of days for the parts to arrive. So I am back on the road again whistling a happy tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #20
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Hey gang, what difference should I feel between 'touring' and 'sport', which are at the extremes? I always have it in 'comfort' (lights out), but programmed the 'M' button with 'sport', and hitting the button on broken pavement, couldn't feel a difference. Is the difference in body roll, or what? I have no dash lights, and had the 1,200 service 100 miles ago, so doubt anything is wrong. Just curious what's supposed to be the difference, and if it's supposed to be felt immediately after hitting the EDC button or it takes a bit. Just curious. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #21
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I am usually as picky as could be in selecting a car. There were a few options that my new car HAD to have. Otherwise, I was trying to keep the cost down and eliminate some things I really didn't care about. This was the plan from the start.

I have found that having extra options (other than the cost) really doesn't bother me; its not having those things that you really wanted that can make you regret a purchase. In the end, I'm glad I have some of the things I was not planning to get (premium sound, for example).

Getting a loaded car was never part of the plan, but if I told you what I paid for my car, you'd probably kick me in the nuts
Probably. (just kidding man)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #22
Johndoe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 M3 sedan

Quote:
Hey gang, what difference should I feel between 'touring' and 'sport', which are at the extremes? I always have it in 'comfort' (lights out), but programmed the 'M' button with 'sport', and hitting the button on broken pavement, couldn't feel a difference. Is the difference in body roll, or what? I have no dash lights, and had the 1,200 service 100 miles ago, so doubt anything is wrong. Just curious what's supposed to be the difference, and if it's supposed to be felt immediately after hitting the EDC button or it takes a bit. Just curious. Thanks.
you will feel the difference immediately..sport mode is a jarring ride on uneven road.
Appreciate 0