BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

BPM

01-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Recommendation for Shop to Paint DINAN Badge in Houston

Okay, so I just spent an arm, a leg, and possibly other unmentionable body parts on a bunch of Dinan goods (namely mid-pipe, mid pipe software tune, pulley, and pedal set). I now have accumulated enough points to get me the exclusive DINAN badge.

Since I have a gloss black M3 rear trunk badge, I'd like the Dinan badge to be painted to match it.

Anybody have recommendation of a shop located in Houston to get my Dinan badge painted gloss black?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Take it out back and rough it up with some fine sand paper and get the gloss black spray paint out. That's about all a shop will do . So it looks like a quick drive around the block has you reaching in your pockets .........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights

Last edited by ///M Ryder; 01-13-2012 at 05:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
coogs08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Yes, definitely do it yourself...it'll be easy and fun. Sand it down to get a rough surface, then spray paint a couple coats of gloss black and maybe a coat of clear coat. all done...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
Take it out back and rough it up with some fine sand paper and get the gloss black spray paint out. That's about all a shop will do . So it looks like a quick drive around the block has you reaching in your pockets .........Phil
I'm so easily influenced...sigh...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogs08 View Post
Yes, definitely do it yourself...it'll be easy and fun. Sand it down to get a rough surface, then spray paint a couple coats of gloss black and maybe a coat of clear coat. all done...
Really? It's that easy? I'm really scared to mess up the DINAN badge. I don't think I could easily get another one if I end up messing up the badge since these can only be picked up from a Dinan dealer after you've sold your soul and body parts.

After roughing up the badge with sand paper and spraying it with the paint, wouldn't the badge be inconsistently bumpy (non-smooth) because of the sand paper action or will the spray paint / clear coat smooth everything over?

Also, where to buy the spray paint and clear coat spray? Home Depot?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
tinpot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4

Looking forward to the write up We should organize a photo shoot once you get everything installed; possibly at one of the track events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
Okay, so I just spent an arm, a leg, and possibly other unmentionable body parts on a bunch of Dinan goods (namely mid-pipe, mid pipe software tune, pulley, and pedal set). I now have accumulated enough points to get me the exclusive DINAN badge.

Since I have a gloss black M3 rear trunk badge, I'd like the Dinan badge to be painted to match it.

Anybody have recommendation of a shop located in Houston to get my Dinan badge painted gloss black?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpot View Post
Looking forward to the write up We should organize a photo shoot once you get everything installed; possibly at one of the track events.
+1.....we need a new home page picture and some photos for the website........Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Haha, if you feel adventurous, DIY, on the other hand, matt@metropolitan would always be happy to help you out.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Richard: what is Metropolitans website and or phone number and address? I hear about them a lot but never been there.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Richard: what is Metropolitans website and or phone number and address? I hear about them a lot but never been there.
Go to our website and click on their banner........Phil
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #12
JerryK73
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 LeMans Blue Coupe

Quote:
I'm so easily influenced...sigh...
All I have to say is.......
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #13
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
matt@metropolitancollision.com
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
Golgothar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe

Congrats about time you went to the dark errrrr Dinan side Frank!

P.S. - Hope you can stand the smell of unburnt exhaust sitting in Houston traffic better than i could, thats the whole reason i never pulled the trigger on the mid-pipe even though it was the best bang for your buck HP mod!

OLD - 2008 Sparkling Graphite DCT e92
Rpi Scoops/Dinan Intake/DinanECUtune/DinanPulley/DinanExhaust/DinanStg 2 Suspension/Plus some cosmetic mods *SOLD*
NEW- 2011 Black Saphire 550i Sport (Some cosmetic mods/Dinan mods soon)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgothar View Post
Congrats about time you went to the dark errrrr Dinan side Frank!

P.S. - Hope you can stand the smell of unburnt exhaust sitting in Houston traffic better than i could, thats the whole reason i never pulled the trigger on the mid-pipe even though it was the best bang for your buck HP mod!
I didn't know you still visit this forum. Didn't you sell your M3 a while back ago?

I certainly hope I can tolerate the smell...Phil claims that you get use to it and only smell it at stop lights....we'll see. I just hope I don't come out smelling like exhaust fumes wherever I go...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
Golgothar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I didn't know you still visit this forum. Didn't you sell your M3 a while back ago?

I certainly hope I can tolerate the smell...Phil claims that you get use to it and only smell it at stop lights....we'll see. I just hope I don't come out smelling like exhaust fumes wherever I go...
Yep i did sell my M3 awhile back to buy a new house but now that we are about done with the decorating so it's fast approaching time for me to get a new ride!

I lurk here from time to time just to keep on top of what the latest is with the M3 although im not 100% sure i will buy another M3 at least not a e9x model!

Have it narrowed down to the following:

c6 z06
Caddillac cts-v coupe
mercedes c63 amg coupe
nissan gtr
M3 (f body?)

So as you can see i really havent decided on anything at all sadly.

Anyway sorry to interupt on your thread and was just offering my advice.
If you recall i did all the Dinan mods about 3.5 years ago and the one i could never pull the trigger on was the mid-pipe because of the smell, if you havent rode in a car with it i would highly recomend you do so just to make sure you can handle it and if your married might want to have the wife ride along as well!

Rpi Scoops/Dinan Intake/DinanECUtune/DinanPulley/DinanExhaust/DinanStg 2 Suspension/Plus some cosmetic mods *SOLD*
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgothar View Post
Yep i did sell my M3 awhile back to buy a new house but now that we are about done with the decorating so it's fast approaching time for me to get a new ride!

I lurk here from time to time just to keep on top of what the latest is with the M3 although im not 100% sure i will buy another M3 at least not a e9x model!

Have it narrowed down to the following:

c6 z06
Caddillac cts-v coupe
mercedes c63 amg coupe
nissan gtr
M3 (f body?)

So as you can see i really havent decided on anything at all sadly.

Anyway sorry to interupt on your thread and was just offering my advice.
If you recall i did all the Dinan mods about 3.5 years ago and the one i could never pull the trigger on was the mid-pipe because of the smell, if you havent rode in a car with it i would highly recomend you do so just to make sure you can handle it and if your married might want to have the wife ride along as well!
The smell isn't that bad.....most of the time in the Houston heat we have the windows up and the A/C on. And of course he has been for a ride......why do you think he's dropping that coin right now. I drove him to the dark side ......Phil
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #18
Golgothar
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Ryder View Post
The smell isn't that bad.....most of the time in the Houston heat we have the windows up and the A/C on. And of course he has been for a ride......why do you think he's dropping that coin right now. I drove him to the dark side ......Phil
Awesome glad you got him to pull the trigger!

Also Frank I would HIGHLY recomend getting the Dinan suspension kit as well as it honestly changed the entire personality/handling of the car and in hind sight it should have been the 1st mod I did.

Anyway cheers and hope you enjoy your new parts!

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, 5 min joy ride in ///M Ryder's car and thousands of dollars later, I will be getting a DINAN badge....damn you ///M Ryder...

As for Dinan suspension kit, I'll pass on that. It is quite expensive for what you get. I already have Eibach Pro-Kit and the E36 M3 bump stops, (didn't shave the guide supports). I'm happy with how the car handles with that setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #20
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

My precious . . .

Got it!

I'm having second thoughts on painting the Dinan badge gloss black. In order to do it, you'd have to unpeel the front tape, which would destroy the ability to place the badge on straight with the correct spacing. The badge is not connected in any area...it is literally five letters loose.

But a silver Dinan badge with my my gloss black M3 badge would look tacky. Maybe I should just go back to the stock M3 badge?

Or maybe I should just press my luck, get it painted, and place each letter up one by one carefully. I could just get some painters tape and tape the bottom of the trunk to act as a guide (each letter would sit above the tape line). I'm worried about getting the spacing correct between each letter.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 06:53 AM   #21
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep

You are putting way too much brain power into this. Make yourself a template from a wide piece of painters tape. Lay the letters on the tape as they are and trace them. Now don't mess up.....it takes a higher power to get a new badge from Dinan..........Phil

oh yeah, how's the power and the smell?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #22
zkansasz
STFU
Rep
Drives: A horse

Quote:
Got it!

I'm having second thoughts on painting the Dinan badge gloss black. In order to do it, you'd have to unpeel the front tape, which would destroy the ability to place the badge on straight with the correct spacing. The badge is not connected in any area...it is literally five letters loose.

But a silver Dinan badge with my my gloss black M3 badge would look tacky. Maybe I should just go back to the stock M3 badge?

Or maybe I should just press my luck, get it painted, and place each letter up one by one carefully. I could just get some painters tape and tape the bottom of the trunk to act as a guide (each letter would sit above the tape line). I'm worried about getting the spacing correct between each letter.
get a new stock m3 badge and give me your gloss one?
Appreciate 0