BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

02-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #23
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post

it might be a fun car but it looks so ugly
in you're opinion. i think it's toight.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #24
AWDFTMFW
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Looks like a S2K to me.

(That was a joke)

My brother has an '05 350z, for a stock car and the price it is a great car for straightline and track ability. I have only heard praise of what an improvement the 370 is over it.

Team Jimmy
.:| 422awhp | 487awtq |:.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #25
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by finite View Post
What do you guys think of the 370z? I haven't driven it yet, but I sat in it at the Auto Show and at a dealer. Pros: Nicer interior layout and appearance than the M3, seems like alot for the price and "manual" mode 7 speed. Cons: almost seems like a "wannabe" compared to the M3 and C63, not sure if the "manual" mode 7 speed is really a true manual like the DCT.

What are your opinions? Has anyone driven one yet?
I meant your statement "Nicer interior layout and appearance than the M3". I doubt many people will agree with you on that one, and be prepared for some blowback on these forums. Its not an M3 fighter nor is it trying to be an M3. Its a great sports car for the dollar. It's weight isn't too bad, and it has a good motor, with some good power and technology. It also handles well too. I still don't see it outperforming a Cayman S, but it does have great performance, and will have a damn good aftermarket like all Z's do. If you want something more along the lines of an M3, than the G37, is a bit closer (luxury wise). If I didn't need 4 doors, I would've traded in my 350Z for a 370Z. It's currently my first choice for a sports/toy car, but I'd have a hard time getting the wife's blessing on $100k in cars that are strictly for my personal/recreational use. And there's no way she's getting the ///M

I did see the car in person, and its worlds above what it looks like in photos, especially the barbed head/tail lights. I agree with what he said earlier though, the fangs in the grill don't look right.
      02-25-2009, 08:02 PM   #26
luckistryke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Very very fast

because of the 370Z one of my customer just picked up a brand new `08 350Z for 22k, 24k otd. he's pretty happy w/ the performance
      02-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #27
wuyichao
Private First Class
China
Rep
Drives: C63

350Z is one of my favorite Japanese sports car, besides G35. The new g37 looks okay, G35 looks better compared to the 37 imo. However, 370Z is FUGLY!!! I won't drive that car even it has 400hp with the same price tag. Performance wise, 370z is a bargain. interior design is definitely a huge upgrade from the previous Z33.
I cant stand 370Z's look, uhhhh...my eyes...
      02-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #28
C17MooseDriver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

The car seems like it'd be real fun. I can't use a 2 seater, but I'll test drive one just to check it out.

The headlights are really ugly though. Maybe it'll look better in person, but WTF were they thinking. It's like those bug eyes of the WRX a few years ago. Just ugly.
      02-26-2009, 12:50 AM   #29
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17MooseDriver View Post
The headlights are really ugly though. Maybe it'll look better in person, but WTF were they thinking. It's like those bug eyes of the WRX a few years ago. Just ugly.
I had the same thoughts, until I saw one in person. The styling looks very good, the lights fit very well with the lines of the car. You can really see the shorter rear end in the flesh, it looks a lot more 911ish in the rear.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2009, 01:53 AM   #30
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

I think it's a great deal and a lot of people seem to like the Syncro-Rev feature in the manual. They say it works flawlessly. Perfect downshifts everytime, even to 1st gear.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2009, 03:57 AM   #31
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irb Digital View Post
I meant your statement "Nicer interior layout and appearance than the M3". I doubt many people will agree with you on that one, and be prepared for some blowback on these forums. Its not an M3 fighter nor is it trying to be an M3. Its a great sports car for the dollar. It's weight isn't too bad, and it has a good motor, with some good power and technology. It also handles well too. I still don't see it outperforming a Cayman S, but it does have great performance, and will have a damn good aftermarket like all Z's do. If you want something more along the lines of an M3, than the G37, is a bit closer (luxury wise). If I didn't need 4 doors, I would've traded in my 350Z for a 370Z. It's currently my first choice for a sports/toy car, but I'd have a hard time getting the wife's blessing on $100k in cars that are strictly for my personal/recreational use. And there's no way she's getting the ///M

I did see the car in person, and its worlds above what it looks like in photos, especially the barbed head/tail lights. I agree with what he said earlier though, the fangs in the grill don't look right.
Check out http://www.the370z.com/nissan-370z-p...ideo-here.html

Faster than the Cayman S by almost three seconds in the time attack - I'm sure the new Cayman S would set the record straight though...

Last edited by mixja; 03-01-2009 at 04:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 04:02 AM   #32
Irb Digital
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M E90 MANual Jerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixja View Post
Check out http://www.the370z.com/nissan-370z-p...ideo-here.html

Faster than the Cayman S by almost three seconds in the time attack - I'm sure the new Cayman S would set the record straight though...
As much as I love to bench race, I'll try to keep it to a minimum. Best Motoring, is like having Taco Bell compete in a Burrito contest in MEXICO. It's makes for some good entertainment, but the results can't be taken seriously. Japanese drivers in Japan, comparing Japanese cars vs all others, with maximum attention given to its Japanese speaking audience, and sometimes questionable results, makes for very little credibility. Given an equal driver, even with the power defecit, I think the lighter still has the advantage. However no LSD (not even an option) on a $70k sports car, is absurd.

Edit: LSD will be available for the new Cayman if you have the PDK option. <sigh>
      03-02-2009, 05:01 AM   #33
mixja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 DCT Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irb Digital View Post
As much as I love to bench race, I'll try to keep it to a minimum. Best Motoring, is like having Taco Bell compete in a Burrito contest in MEXICO. It's makes for some good entertainment, but the results can't be taken seriously. Japanese drivers in Japan, comparing Japanese cars vs all others, with maximum attention given to its Japanese speaking audience, and sometimes questionable results, makes for very little credibility. Given an equal driver, even with the power defecit, I think the lighter still has the advantage. However no LSD (not even an option) on a $70k sports car, is absurd.

Edit: LSD will be available for the new Cayman if you have the PDK option. <sigh>
Yes you have to take the battles with a grain of salt and clearly the 911 driver wasn't driving 10/10, but the AFAIK the time attack sessions are the real thing and they are the times to pay attention to...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #34
kmac1980
Major
Rep
Drives: '19 540xi

Quote:

+1 it may be good, but it looks like Nissan let a riceboy's drawings come to life. It is the essence of cheesy.

I would take a hyundai genesis coupe 2.0T over this LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2009, 06:19 AM   #35
seven_227
Lieutenant
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: AW e92 335i

I think it looks good, didn't like the rear though.
      03-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #36
Cyclenirvana
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan

Wife has a 06 350Z...we test drove the 370Z about 1 month ago. Interior is much improved from the 350Z, and the car is noticeably quicker. However, the interior is no where near the M3...the 370Z is helluva car for the money, but it is really not in the same league. That being said, I do like it. My wife does not like MT so we test drove the automatic. I do think the car sounds better from the cockpit than the stock M3.
The 370Z is getting fantastic reviews...recent C&D compared it to several other cars including the 135i and it came out on top! Not surprised...it is an impressive car.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 12:46 PM   #37
Surge50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

The 370z is a great car. Some people don't like it automatically just because its a japanese car and associate it with rice. But really its a good car for the price. Its no M3, but its a fun car for the price. My buddy's cousin has a 350z and its pretty nice for the money.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 12:14 AM   #38
tim3less
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 STi

imo the 370 is a pretty good looking car from some angles. it's a pretty reasonable priced car. fun as well
      03-19-2009, 01:48 AM   #39
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac1980 View Post
+1 it may be good, but it looks like Nissan let a riceboy's drawings come to life. It is the essence of cheesy.

I would take a hyundai genesis coupe 2.0T over this LOL
What exactly is "rice" here? Let's see:
-A fastback roofline
-Swollen fenders
-Distinctive headlights
*No fake scoops, vents or louvres...oh wait...the M3 has some of those doesn't it?

I hate it when people throw that term around. Rice is useless, tacky and tasteless modding.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 05:35 PM   #40
Davo2003
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe Jerez and loaded

Thumbs down Drove it

Well, I owned a 2008 M3 DCT. I got rid of it before I took off on another contract overseas. Anywayyyy....I drove the 370Z today to see if it was more bang for the buck...forgive me BMW gods :-) Jesus, it was horrible. I think I threw up in my mouth on the test drive. Road feel was horrible, instrumentation horrible, sound system tragic, seating and interior embarrassing. But then again much cheaper. Even so, the driving experience cannot be compared. The M3 is three times the car hands down. I even sat in a GT-R and cranked it up...unimpressive. They wanted MSRP + 10K for the GT-R...Iwas like "righhhhhhhhhhhhhhht" I was totally convinced that anyone who buys a 370Z is either low on bucks or never drove a Bimmer. Visibility on the 370Z was really bad. It does look better in person than in mags...but still...don't bother. I am trying to be objective but it was really that bad...I would prefer to eat beans and weenies and drive an M3 than eat T-Bones everyday while driving a 370Z. My DD 09 Rabbit has better feel to be honest. Sorry, I am rambling...cheers.
      04-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #41
bmwzimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 335

Not sure which is uglier, the 135 or 370's front end....
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 04:13 AM   #42
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
The m3 does feel bulky, especially in tight canyon roads. But on long sweepers, oh man do I appreciate the extra weight

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #43
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo2003 View Post
Well, I owned a 2008 M3 DCT. I got rid of it before I took off on another contract overseas. Anywayyyy....I drove the 370Z today to see if it was more bang for the buck...forgive me BMW gods :-) Jesus, it was horrible. I think I threw up in my mouth on the test drive. Road feel was horrible, instrumentation horrible, sound system tragic, seating and interior embarrassing. But then again much cheaper. Even so, the driving experience cannot be compared. The M3 is three times the car hands down. I even sat in a GT-R and cranked it up...unimpressive. They wanted MSRP + 10K for the GT-R...Iwas like "righhhhhhhhhhhhhhht" I was totally convinced that anyone who buys a 370Z is either low on bucks or never drove a Bimmer. Visibility on the 370Z was really bad. It does look better in person than in mags...but still...don't bother. I am trying to be objective but it was really that bad...I would prefer to eat beans and weenies and drive an M3 than eat T-Bones everyday while driving a 370Z. My DD 09 Rabbit has better feel to be honest. Sorry, I am rambling...cheers.
You're way too harsh on it, and something tells me you don't have to worry about a budget (just a wild guess, parents I'm assuming), due to the fact that you don't seem to know about the concept of a budget performance car.

The Z is a tremendous value considering you can get one for sub-30k, or loaded just under 40k. I can't comment on road feel, but I do know that the interior doesn't suck. It's amazing, again, for the money.

And in reference to the GTR comment, sure, it costs the same as an M3, and yeah, it has a pretty sub-par interior, but it'll clean the M3 on the track, in a straight line, and definitely on the streets in the real world.

Some people have different priorities with their money and their cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #44
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

I am obviously a BMW fan but the Z deserves respect. It's among a few performance car icons (Z, Vettes, All P-Cars, M Cars, RS Cars, etc etc - each in its price range). I don't like the new design at all but they did reduce the weight and increase power which is impressive (particularly the weight part).

I would most likely get a 135i in that price range, but the Z is the superior sports car.
Appreciate 0