BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

05-23-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

Tapping a KL30 "unused" fuse... Ok to do this?

So I am getting prepared to install my dash cam.

Here is what I have:

A) BlackVue camera
B) A bunch of fuse tap cables, 2 sizes (for the small and regular fuse sizes)
C) Pretty much everything I need to install the camera

I have checked ISTA/P and have a list of fuses that are KL30. A few of them in my vehicle are unused as the car did not come with the various options that the fuses would normally occupy.

So what I was going to do was tap into one of these unused KL30 fuses and pull power from there for the camera.

Is this a good way to go at this? Should these empty fuse holes + ground still give me 12V/14V while KL30 is active?

Sorry about my shitty terminology, this is not my regular 'trade'

PS : Not too concerned about the camera drawing the few 100 miliamps during the 30 minutes KL30 is "on".

PS : Also I know the blackvue will "turn off" after 30 minutes. Not quite, I also purchased a "mini ups" that I have tested will give me an extra 6-8 hours of power when KL30 does shut off. I already use one of these for something else in my vehicle, works great.

Appreciate 0