BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Mporium BMW

12-12-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 99 E36 M3 Cabio

Car Movers?

I'm going to be moving 1400 miles away here before the end of the year and I want to ship my car to the new location.

I wanted to see if there were any car moving companies that people recommended. Obviously I want my car to be safe but I'm really looking for the cheapest price.

I have two quotes so far with regular moving companies like Mayflower and Allied and the lowest quote I've gotten so far is $1200 for an open trailer carrier. Not sure if that is typical but I gotta think there are some a little lower.

Does the value of the car determine the cost to ship it at all? A friend of mine said he shipped a Neon about 900miles a few years back for $600.

Any input or suggestions are appreciated it.
      12-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP Azurite Black

I've used Springle Transport Service (www.stscars.com) and it was a great experience. The driver took great care of my car. It was on the lower level of an enclosed carrier, and he put a cover over it just in case the car above it started leaking any fluids. All he had in the trailer were high end new and classic cars. In fact, I think my car was the cheapest thing he had. The driver even gave me his cell number so I could call and check up on his progress. Highly recommended.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #3
mdynamics
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, X3 & 325e

Dependable Auto Shippers are good
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsu View Post
I've used Springle Transport Service (www.stscars.com) and it was a great experience. The driver took great care of my car. It was on the lower level of an enclosed carrier, and he put a cover over it just in case the car above it started leaking any fluids. All he had in the trailer were high end new and classic cars. In fact, I think my car was the cheapest thing he had. The driver even gave me his cell number so I could call and check up on his progress. Highly recommended.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did that run you? and what kind of distance did you move it?
      12-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

You can get an open trailer carrier for less than that. I did 2 for that price.
      12-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #6
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
You can get an open trailer carrier for less than that. I did 2 for that price.

Such as? Who did you use?
      12-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizman7 View Post
Such as? Who did you use?
I don't remember. I just went online and typed in my email on a few websites. Within minutes carriers were calling and trying to deal.
      12-14-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
DomsZ06
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdynamics View Post
DO NOT USE DAS!!

I had to use them since I was moved with the company. Will be the LAST TIME i use them. Next time my company moves I'll pay out of pocket or drive my cars. They damaged both my rides and I'm still in the process of getting them fixed. Not too mention they took 16 days to go from CA to TX. One car sat in CA for 9 days before it moved. The other one sat in Dallas for 5 days before I got it. Really bad service in my experience.

I used Thomas Sunday to move my corvette to DE to get some work done. Covered transport, nothing but high end cars, driver gave me his cell to keep up with it, but he also called me to get me in the loop. Great guys and only took him 3 days to go from TX to DE. Really good people.

1200 is way too much for an open trailer. I only spent that much in a closed. The quotes I got for open was around 600 from central US to either coast.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #9
dizman7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thru the help of my SA and couple other employees at the dealership (who are in the BMWCCA) I'll be using the shipper that the BMW/Mercedes and Cadallic dealer use. It's $700 for an open, which is a LOT more like what I was looking at!

They are going to pick her up Thursday morning and she'll be in AZ on Monday, about a week and half before I get there!
      12-14-2009, 11:34 PM   #10
JH M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3 ZCP Azurite Black

Quote:
Thru the help of my SA and couple other employees at the dealership (who are in the BMWCCA) I'll be using the shipper that the BMW/Mercedes and Cadallic dealer use. It's $700 for an open, which is a LOT more like what I was looking at!

They are going to pick her up Thursday morning and she'll be in AZ on Monday, about a week and half before I get there!
$700 is pretty good. I was quoted $800 for an open carrier from FL to CA this past summer, but this was with a military discount and it was going 2400 miles. The most important thing is that you go with a reputable company.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #11
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep

Quote:

READ THE FINE PRINT. FREAKS DID SOME DAMAGE TO MY CAR AND DID NOT PAY DUE TO THE FINE PRINT. All caps for a reason...
      12-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #12
DomsZ06
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
READ THE FINE PRINT. FREAKS DID SOME DAMAGE TO MY CAR AND DID NOT PAY DUE TO THE FINE PRINT. All caps for a reason...
Like he said, make sure your car is perfectly clean before it goes on the truck, and you will want to walk it and they will look for damage.

Then when you get it back it will probably be dirty. They normally "rinse" it off, you will want to immidiatly hand wash it so you can look for everything wrong. I didn't see anything wrong on the first pass with the driver but after the wash I found all kinds of things wrong, and immidiatly called. Depending on the carrier they may or may not pay to fix the items if you don't see them with the driver. If this is the case make him sit and wait while you wash it. or just make sure you inspect it very close. If I hadn't been a company move I would have been SOL, as like what Urban said they would not have paid it. My moving company ended up paying it not the auto shipper.

If you care about your car you won't ship it in an open truck.... I know people say that well that's the way they come from the factory, and true, but those drivers are getting paid awesome and the dealers don't wanna mess the cars up.

Good luck with whoever you use.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
KANdaddy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 22 M3C XDrive-Ind Grey Blk

I have shipped several cars coast-to-coast. For me, price is not the issue, rather that upon final delivery that my vehicle look and perform EXACTLY as it did when it was picked up. There are three major things you must have in a shipping company IMO:
  1. Enclosed travel. DO not fall for the "oped transport is ok" BS. There are too many factors....what happens when the trailer is parked along the way for a food or bathroom break, etc?...will the driver watch your car to make sure passers-by dont screw with it? Answer: Hell No. Will they care that your car is being pelted by road debris and will they do their best to avoid this situation? Answer: Hell No. Go enclosed....don't be a cheap azz. You have a $70K car not a $20K one.
  2. Car MUST stay on same truck throughout its journey...from beginning to end. What MANY transport companies do not tell you is that the truck that picks up your car is 99% of the time NOT the one that will deliver your car. Depending on the distance, trucking companies use many hubs where they will off load your vehicle and load it onto another vehicle for the next "stint". Obviously each time this happens there is the potential for damage to your vehicle. Will they let you know if is damaged in this process or even care? Answer: Hell No.
  3. Are the driver and trucks used actually employed and owend by the organization you hire or are they just contractors? What many of the transport companies will not tell you is that they are really just "brokers". They often do not own their trucks nor employ their drivers directly. Rather they get your business then hire a driver or drivers through a network that will transport your vehicle for them at the cheapest price. Price they hire drivers is directly related to quality of transport. I have heard horror stories where a person's car was damaged and the "broker" passes you onto the driver to deal with it. This gets messy and you end up finding out that the agreement you were bound to may not be what the driver and broker agreed to in terms of responsibility of damage, etc. READ your fine print!

All this being said, I recommend Intercity Lines - http://www.intercitylines.com/. They own their trucks. Their drivers work only for them. You car will be loaded once onto one enclosed trailer and that truck will deliver your car to your destination and unload it once to you. They are not cheap but they are not outrageous either. Very nice people and I will use them again and again.
      12-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
Koroush
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: nothing

Send me your keys, I'll move your car... far far away.
      12-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #15
DomsZ06
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post
I have shipped several cars coast-to-coast. For me, price is not the issue, rather that upon final delivery that my vehicle look and perform EXACTLY as it did when it was picked up. There are three major things you must have in a shipping company IMO:
  1. Enclosed travel. DO not fall for the "oped transport is ok" BS. There are too many factors....what happens when the trailer is parked along the way for a food or bathroom break, etc?...will the driver watch your car to make sure passers-by dont screw with it? Answer: Hell No. Will they care that your car is being pelted by road debris and will they do their best to avoid this situation? Answer: Hell No. Go enclosed....don't be a cheap azz. You have a $70K car not a $20K one.
  2. Car MUST stay on same truck throughout its journey...from beginning to end. What MANY transport companies do not tell you is that the truck that picks up your car is 99% of the time NOT the one that will deliver your car. Depending on the distance, trucking companies use many hubs where they will off load your vehicle and load it onto another vehicle for the next "stint". Obviously each time this happens there is the potential for damage to your vehicle. Will they let you know if is damaged in this process or even care? Answer: Hell No.
  3. Are the driver and trucks used actually employed and owend by the organization you hire or are they just contractors? What many of the transport companies will not tell you is that they are really just "brokers". They often do not own their trucks nor employ their drivers directly. Rather they get your business then hire a driver or drivers through a network that will transport your vehicle for them at the cheapest price. Price they hire drivers is directly related to quality of transport. I have heard horror stories where a person's car was damaged and the "broker" passes you onto the driver to deal with it. This gets messy and you end up finding out that the agreement you were bound to may not be what the driver and broker agreed to in terms of responsibility of damage, etc. READ your fine print!

All this being said, I recommend Intercity Lines - http://www.intercitylines.com/. They own their trucks. Their drivers work only for them. You car will be loaded once onto one enclosed trailer and that truck will deliver your car to your destination and unload it once to you. They are not cheap but they are not outrageous either. Very nice people and I will use them again and again.
what he said!!

Thomas Sunday is also owner/operators, car never gets off once it's on.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #16
jblackwell
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335

Just shipped a car to AZ from New Jersey for $700.00 door to door.
      12-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #17
Ben Carufel
Rep
Drives:

I've used InterCity Lines and would recommend them 100%.
1989 Alpine White S50 325i [Fun Machine]
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD [Tow Vehicle]
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2009, 08:48 PM   #18
BMWGator
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANdaddy View Post

Great tips. I've never shipped any cars long distance, but when I noticed Intercity Lines being used by the fancy car shows/auctions you see on TV, I took note of this.

I plan to use them for my future Lambos/Ferraris...

===============================
Appreciate 0