BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

12-08-2011, 12:58 AM   #1
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Tire safe to use at the track?

Since no one in the Tire section helped me out...

As some may know, I had a little run off at Big Willow last week.

Shop's been busy and hasn't been able to look at the car so it's been sitting..

Anyways, my tire lost air in about 24 hours and it sat like this for a couple of days:

I thought the tire itself was really damaged, or a nail, or a rock/something penetrated it.
or maybe even the wheel got damaged (worse case..)

I took the wheel off and took it to a tire shop yesterday. They filled it with air put it in water and whatnot to find a leak.
No bubbles/leaks anywhere...except a small one at the valve stem.
They changed the valve stem needle for me.

The shop said they put it to 40psi air, i checked this morning and it was at 39psi.
However, after he put in the air and went in to seal it, i did hear the air come out, so that could have easily been 1psi of air lost. Pus, not all gauges are 100% the same, a +/- 1 psi is normal right?

So the tire/wheel sound to me like they're good to go...right? Meaning the tire/wheel held air perfectly...

BUT... since the wheel was sitting on a deflated tire for a couple of days, does that mean it damaged the tire?
Looking at the tire, it seems to be fine. No different than my other tire that was never deflated.
Does this mean I can use this on the track with no worries? The tire is barely 2 months old and I would hate to toss it if I don't have to.

Would love to hear some advice before I waste $ on tires, demounting, re-balancing.. etc

I was going to pick up a new tire 80 miles down south, but the guy said he can't meet up..is it a sign? lol
I was also going to pick up 2 used ones from a friend, who is about 70 miles down south..

But I really don't want to drive all the way down there if I can't pick up the new one as well (I like to combine long trips and get as much done as I can)

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Sounds fine to me
      12-08-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

The car sitting still on a deflated tire should not cause damage. If it were driven during this state, could be a different story. 1 lbs variance in pressure is a "no change" to me as temperature, tire gauge, etc could account for the difference. Drive the car with care and observe how it behaves before you put it on the track.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

I would use it with no concerns.The concerns voiced by the others are all good points.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

It was driven on for about 8 miles max (when I left my home in the morning to go to work). I filled it with air after I noticed it was deflated.

8 miles of street driving 30-40mph

I checked for bubbles and tears as did the tire shop. Couldn't find anything. Looks just like my other RS3 that never lost any air

Checked the pressure last night and it was still at the same 39 psi my gauge read before
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 01:41 PM   #6
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
It was driven on for about 8 miles max (when I left my home in the morning to go to work). I filled it with air after I noticed it was deflated.

8 miles of street driving 30-40mph

I checked for bubbles and tears as did the tire shop. Couldn't find anything. Looks just like my other RS3 that never lost any air

Checked the pressure last night and it was still at the same 39 psi my gauge read before
So you did drive it flat?If so that would change my opinion about using it either on the street or on track.That is a lot different than just sitting on the car at rest.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #7
Jaypod
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Frozen M3, AM V8V, 991 GT3

Judging by the dirt on the sidewalls it looks like it was driven on while flat for some distance. If you drove 8 miles on the tire while flat get a new one.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Not to single out the OP, but this is the type of night mare Instructors fear at the track. While we ask questions about the car, tires, suspension, engine, brakes, etc., the potential for a small detail always are present. Thank goodness, very little instances occur. Please reconsider taking it to the track if driven on while flat.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #9
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

There is dirt on the sidewall of all my tires as I went off into the dirt when at the track. There was actually more dirt on the tires when I first came off.

When I left the track, I put air in, about 34 cold.
When I got home, I checked the pressures (I always do this), and all tires were at 37 (since I did drive 90 miles..)

It was driven for 8 miles the next morning, but I don't not believe it was completely flat since, as I said originally, I had put air in it.
When I checked the pressures in the morning, I had 34 PSI all around, with the exception of my passenger front, which was in the 20s (I don't recall the exact pressure), I filled it to 34 like the rest. After filling the tires, i went in to shower etc etc. so I probably left about 30 minutes after putting the tire to 34 psi.
When driving to work, however, I noticed it pulling to the right (I originally fear suspension damage from going off). When I got to work I noticed the tire was flat, but I didn't have a gauge on me to check it. It wasn't flat like in the picture above.

After work, give or take 3-4 hours? I drove to the gas station, which is a couple blocks away, and put in air.
At that moment, the psi was low, about 10? (the gauge was hard to read). I put it to 34 PSI like I always do. Then I drove the car to the body shop, where it sat and sat...and then I noticed the flat (picture above), removed the tire, took it to the shop..and the rest I already mentioned above

There is a difference between driving on a flat tire and driving on a tire that is not fully aired correct?

I'm not saying I have to use it, I can of course change it.
I'm just trying to understand the situation to the best of my ability . And would rather not waste a tire if it is indeed in good condition.
Thank you all for your responses.

Last edited by persian54; 12-08-2011 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #10
dapopa9
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

that pic makes the outside edge look like the tire is corded
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #11
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapopa9 View Post
that pic makes the outside edge look like the tire is corded
I think this is a good idea:

Clean up both fronts (the one that did have a bad valve stem needle, and the one that never lost any air), put them side to side, and compare (as well as take pictures).

Is this a good idea or a waste of time?
Just trying to gather as much info as I can.

Thank you

And next question, if I do indeed need to change it:

change both fronts or just this one front?

about 2k miles and 1 track day today on all of my tires
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Well, you asked and several good answers were provided. It is now down to risk / reward. A thought however, spend money on a new tire, or, calculate the potential cost of going off again, but this time hitting something. Wonder what would be most expensive - the tire, or the car. Hum.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #13
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
. Wonder what would be most expensive - the tire, or the car. Hum.
vz
Yes I know what you mean

But originally everyone said it was okay

then the consensus changed when people assumed it was driven on while completely flat (which it wasn't)

Hence why I ask if driving on it when it wasn't full of air damaged it, as i am rather confident it wasn't driven on (at all) while completely flat

I'm asking for advice after the facts are out (meaning no it was not driven on while completely flat as mistakenly assumed)

Sorry if I am unable to clearly express what I am trying to convey.

And then this question:

Quote:
And next question, if I do indeed need to change it:

change both fronts or just this one front?

about 2k miles and 1 track day today on all of my tires
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 06:49 PM   #14
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

Short answer, if not driven on when completely flat, then track it, but be ware. If you replace it, with only 2K miles on the front tires, one tire should be okay. Whenever suspected damage is done to a tire, particularly since you had an off, then a flat (or low air in the tire) after the incident, then one has to question the wisdom of running it. Just my personal opinion, as I tend to err of the side of caution. If you do decide to run it, which is probably okay, mind the store carefully. Hope this will help.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

This is a great reason to keep the TPMS system intact even on track wheels. It's already built into the car. I would LOVE to have tire pressure information in my racecar. Too bad the BMW system doesn't tell you pressure, only whether you're below a threshold or not.
      12-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #16
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Short answer, if not driven on when completely flat, then track it, but be ware. If you replace it, with only 2K miles on the front tires, one tire should be okay. Whenever suspected damage is done to a tire, particularly since you had an off, then a flat (or low air in the tire) after the incident, then one has to question the wisdom of running it. Just my personal opinion, as I tend to err of the side of caution. If you do decide to run it, which is probably okay, mind the store carefully. Hope this will help.
vz
Thank you for your response.

Since you are one to err on the side of caution, would you replace both? (since you said "should be okay" instead of "it will be okay").

I found 2 used RS3s from a friend of mine, both used on the same car.
He advised it should last at least one track day. I'm thinking of putting those 2 used ones are in the time being until I find a set of new ones (or very lightly used ones)

Sorry for all the questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 10:57 PM   #17
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

8 miles is a LONG ways to drive on a flat tire.
My wife just drove maybe 1.5-2 miles on a low tire and when they patched it, it was already showing some minor damage. They wanted me to buy a new tire, but it was pretty minor and the car won't be tracked. It was like someone took sandpaper to the sidewall a few time around. I've seen it where there's handfuls of rubber in the tire from running it low.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #18
skxf430
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Driving Miss Daisy

How do you like the RS3's?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 11:13 PM   #19
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

sounds fine.
1 PSI could just be change in temperature.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 08:31 AM   #20
von_zoom
Captain
Rep

To answer your question as a yes/no is not practical, and I doubt anyone on this forum will desire to do so. Driving any car at track speed is inherently dangerous, and should anything go south, the result is most likely away from good. I will not be the person to decide for you - I would not want to see you damage your car, or heaven forbid, injure yourself or someone else. You ask for opinions, thus I have tried to give you mine, but with an accompaning caviat. Sorry, but all I can do for you. Good luck at the track, and I hope you have the usual fun and safety.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 12:45 PM   #21
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
To answer your question as a yes/no is not practical, and I doubt anyone on this forum will desire to do so. Driving any car at track speed is inherently dangerous, and should anything go south, the result is most likely away from good. I will not be the person to decide for you - I would not want to see you damage your car, or heaven forbid, injure yourself or someone else. You ask for opinions, thus I have tried to give you mine, but with an accompaning caviat. Sorry, but all I can do for you. Good luck at the track, and I hope you have the usual fun and safety.
vz
Thanks

All I ever request are opinions, I know the decisions will always be up to me

To the question above:
I love the RS3s
Best street tire I've ever used
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 01:53 PM   #22
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Go to a tires show and have them take the tire off for inspection. It's worth the piece of mind.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0