BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-15-2022, 10:05 PM   #3323
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

yea thats the thing about axles, not super complicated, but if there is a snap ring buried/hidden in grease it might be next to impossible to figure it out on the side of the road.

there was a porsche gt4 that went off at autoclub a few years ago and the driver said it felt like the car started accelerating once it hit the grass. it probably did feel like that, the grip from the slide was less once the car got on a surface with a lot less traction.

i presume you're home now? have you assessed the car?
      05-15-2022, 10:22 PM   #3324
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
I made it home!! Trailer was perfect the rest of the way.

Of course, I needed to have one more obstacle to getting home. When I was 120 miles out, my wife called and said our daughter who has been feeling crappy for the last couple days tested positive for Covid today with a home test. We debated whether I should come home or sleep in a hotel for a few days. I decided to try just quarantining myself in the basement. I hope it works. Iím supposed to fly to a wedding in 12 days. And then fly to a family vacation in 16 days. Anyway, first task is to make sure my daughter is ok.

I have not looked at the car. And I wonít look under the hood until I take it to Honest Assembly to have them check it out. First of all, I am not qualified to make real judgments on the condition of the car. And second, itís just damn depressing to look at. I fought hard to get home. Iím going to just enjoy sitting on my couchÖ..even if I have relegated myself to my basement.
Appreciate 7
roastbeef10769.50
fanatic1942.50
slcook54828.50
SonnyJack304.50
berns1075.00
b4hand568.00
      05-16-2022, 08:51 AM   #3325
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

dogbone congrats on making it home safe and I hope your daughter recovers quickly! These are the important things, time and money will fix the car.
dogbone4662.00
      05-17-2022, 12:38 PM   #3326
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
(PCR testing results came in today and my daughter is positive for covid. She's feeling ok, but it's a bummer that she has to stay home right as high school is about to finish. My wife's PCR was negative.)

I'm taking the car to Honest Assembly on Wednesday. It won't get assessed right away, but at least they'll have it.

I'm also planning on taking the Zebulon splitter to Zebulon's shop for repair on Wednesday. I sent them a bunch of pictures and they said it could be repaired for a reasonable fee.

So, that's the first step of trying to understand what I'm up against with the car.

My trailer is also needing some help. On this trip, I had other issues with it that I haven't gotten around to talking about yet. I mentioned before that VIR needed to move my trailer and I FedExed my keys to them. When I first arrived at the trailer after flying in on Thursday, I noticed the hitch lock security pin was bent....hmm ok. Then, when I went to use the electric tongue jack, the motor activated, but the foot would not extend. I had to get a floor jack and raise the nose of the trailer a bit and start messing around with the tongue jack. After some fiddling around, I got it to extend and raise the nose enough to get the ball under it. But then, it wouldn't lower enough to get the foot high enough that I could get the wood from under the jack foot. So, more messing around was required and I finally was able to move the trailer into the paddock. But getting the trailer disconnected required a bunch of fiddling around again. Basically, my electric tongue jack needs to be replaced. I ordered a new one. But the timing of the failure sure is ironic with the track having to move my trailer, not to mention, why was the hitch pin bent? And then my trailer wheel falls off three hours after leaving VIR. Also, we will probably have to replace the spindle for the one wheel. I've heard the spindle might be bolt on. I hope it is. If it's welded on, then the whole axle may have to be replaced. The trailer shop indicated they might take responsibility for that given that they did the work. And I think a stud on one of the other wheels got stripped as the tech was putting the wheels back on the trailer after adjusting the castle nuts.....not sure what the solution is going to be for that.

Anyway, lots of things to deal with at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 03:51 PM   #3327
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Dude, so sorry you're dealing with all of this. Between the car, trailer, and your daughter with Covid that's a LOT snowballed all at once. Definitely take it easy on yourself and one step at a time. Everybody's here for ya.

I will say, although its hard to say without seeing images, I'm optimistic if it was just a direct front-end collision like your posts read and not from the side or directly to either front corner of the car, the chances of being repairable are much higher. Especially if it sounds like the splitter is repairable that's a good start for sure. Keeping an eye out for follow how you rebound from this, which I'm sure you will

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 10:18 PM   #3328
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Dude, so sorry you're dealing with all of this. Between the car, trailer, and your daughter with Covid that's a LOT snowballed all at once. Definitely take it easy on yourself and one step at a time. Everybody's here for ya.

I will say, although its hard to say without seeing images, I'm optimistic if it was just a direct front-end collision like your posts read and not from the side or directly to either front corner of the car, the chances of being repairable are much higher. Especially if it sounds like the splitter is repairable that's a good start for sure. Keeping an eye out for follow how you rebound from this, which I'm sure you will
Appreciate it. Yeah, it's kinda crazy how life can throw all sorts of weird things at you at the same time. On Thursday, I flew out of Colorado full of excitement looking forward to a challenging and fun weekend. It was exciting that I could just fly in and my rig was already at the track. That's the closest I can get to arrive and drive! I was home by Sunday night with a covid sick daughter, a broken car, a broken trailer, the IRS was being stubborn about something, and I just found out today someone has been uploading fake albums to Spotify and impersonating my music company......hehe that's quite a turnaround in a short period of time. Whatever-----you just gotta deal with it.

I have considered whether or not I would post pix of the damaged car. For the time being, I won't. I'm not trying to be sneaky or anything. I'm not trying to hide what happened. I just don't feel like putting out pix of the damaged car right now. My opinion at the moment is, if the car is fixable in a reasonable manner, then I will start posting about the repair process and pix will follow. If for some reason, the damage is something I'm not going to repair, then I have no interest in posting pix.
Appreciate 2
fanatic1942.50
Kelse921075.00
      05-18-2022, 12:48 AM   #3329
omgzirra_exe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

love you Gabe, hope all is well with your daughter and the unfortunate scenarios you have ran into.

ill cook you lunch next time you're out at BW!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 01:39 AM   #3330
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
love you Gabe, hope all is well with your daughter and the unfortunate scenarios you have ran into.

ill cook you lunch next time you're out at BW!
Thanks. Yeah, she's definitely feeling better today. Interestingly, someone from the county called today to ask questions about her positive PCR test. Apparently, they have been talking to several people from her high school. My wife got the call, so I don't know everything they asked, but I thought it was interesting that they followed up so quickly. We just got the results this AM.

Ooh what's cookin' for lunch?

Speaking of cooking, you know what I'm looking forward to? On Monday, I'll be smoking a brisket. My college daughter is coming home on Saturday and we'll be having a small BBQ to celebrate her return. Learning to use the smoker has been a very fun journey over the last year.
Appreciate 3
roastbeef10769.50
b4hand568.00
      05-18-2022, 07:42 AM   #3331
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

sometimes, we just get shit on. you're going to be fine, and your car is going to be better after the rebuild.
reminds me of this.
      05-18-2022, 11:09 AM   #3332
omgzirra_exe
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Thanks. Yeah, she's definitely feeling better today. Interestingly, someone from the county called today to ask questions about her positive PCR test. Apparently, they have been talking to several people from her high school. My wife got the call, so I don't know everything they asked, but I thought it was interesting that they followed up so quickly. We just got the results this AM.

Ooh what's cookin' for lunch?

Speaking of cooking, you know what I'm looking forward to? On Monday, I'll be smoking a brisket. My college daughter is coming home on Saturday and we'll be having a small BBQ to celebrate her return. Learning to use the smoker has been a very fun journey over the last year.
smoker is one thing I need to buy but my apartment says other wise... so electric pellet would be it for me.

not sure I generally do Korean-style marinated short ribs and other things as it's quick and easy to eat.

for the day you return back to BW I will make time to attend
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 08:50 PM   #3333
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by omgzirra_exe View Post
smoker is one thing I need to buy but my apartment says other wise... so electric pellet would be it for me.

not sure I generally do Korean-style marinated short ribs and other things as it's quick and easy to eat.

for the day you return back to BW I will make time to attend
I love Korean BBQ! Sounds awesome!
Appreciate 1
      05-18-2022, 10:12 PM   #3334
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Been pretty busy today with E90 logistics.

-I downloaded the AIM data from the incident. Figured the information could be useful for Honest Assembly as they look at the car. According to the AIM, I was going about 38mph when I hit the tire wall. I had gotten up to 103mph as I approached Turn 3. I watched the video for the first time when I was at Honest Assembly. I was on a wide line. I turned in quite late. Car completely understeered and went into the grass. I hit the tire wall with the right corner first, probably close to a 45 degree angle. I thought I had hit more direct, but the video was able to clarify it.

-Took the damaged splitter up to Zebulon's shop for repair. Their shop is 75 miles from my house, but I'm just glad I don't have to ship it. Ryan took a close look at it and is confident he can fix it. It won't be new and flawless looking, but he said it will be totally flat and strong and good to go once he's done with it. I'm ok with battle scars on it.

-Took the car to Honest Assembly. We opened the hood annnnd----it doesn't look bad under there. Of course, all the front stuff will have to be replaced. The main thing causing question marks is that, while the engine starts, there's a clicking sound that no one could immediately identify. We immediately shut it off. So, while I remain optimistic, I do want to know what the clicking is. If I had to guess, I'd say the clicking sound sounds like it's coming from outside the engine versus from inside. We'll see.

-At the end of the day, I was trying to drop the trailer off back at the lot. But the electric tongue jack is now totally shot and I can't disconnect the trailer from the truck. So, I had to bring it home and they'll have to stay connected until the trailer shop can disconnect them. I don't feel like going through the acrobatics of raising the trailer with a floor jack. The new tongue jack is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so hopefully I can resolve this soon.
Appreciate 7
b4hand568.00
slcook54828.50
SYT_Shadow9400.50
Ab28545.50
fanatic1942.50
atopa2002141.50
      05-20-2022, 01:49 PM   #3335
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I almost forgot- I have an extra oem power steering cooler you can have if yours got tagged.
      05-20-2022, 02:08 PM   #3336
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I almost forgot- I have an extra oem power steering cooler you can have if yours got tagged.
Appreciate that. By next week, I'm hoping to have a list of stuff needing replacement. Of course, before that can happen, we need to get our 8-12" of snow first.....Actually, in my neighborhood, it's about the same probability that we'll get 12-18" as it is that we'll get 8-12"..... Glad I got all my car/trailer logistics done earlier this week!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 08:16 AM   #3337
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Visited the car at Honest Assembly yesterday. The teardown of the broken pieces is done. Basically the coolant radiator and everything behind it in the engine seems fine. Everything in front of it needs replacing along with the hood, bumper, passenger side fender. The driver side fender survived without damage. The oil cooler, supercharger cooler and power steering cooler aren't leaking, but they are bent, so they will all be replaced.

The clicking noise coming from the engine bay disappeared after the teardown, so the engine seems fine. Although----I may be having some coil pack issues.....don't know if I mentioned that before. At VIR, prior to my tire wall adventure, I was getting some hesitations on some random accelerations along with some popping from the exhaust. Some people who were trackside said they could hear the popping coming from the exhaust. They thought the car was running rich. So....coil pack issue? The spark plugs were just replaced before going to the East Coast.

The upper frame rail on the passenger side is bent slightly at the tip. They didn't seem concerned about fixing it.

The front passenger rim has some marks on it and the tire has several cuts in it. I'm going to replace the hub on that side. Will most likely retire that rim.

Started getting pricing and availability on all the parts. Seems like everything is available within a couple days. So I've given the green light to start acquiring the parts.

The rebuild on my original E90 engine is also happening at Honest Assembly Garage. It's quite far along now. They seem happy with how it's coming together. It actually feels a bit weird to be putting together such a nice fresh engine build and then sticking it in the street car. And ironically, the front of the E90 is torn down, so.....one would think this would not be a bad time to put the rebuilt engine in the track car.....but I just can't stomach tearing the track car completely apart if I don't have to. So, the plan is to still put the rebuilt engine in the street car and have it as a spare if needed.

Here's the current state of the rebuilt engine.
Appreciate 11
SYT_Shadow9400.50
DRLane2374.50
fanatic1942.50
b4hand568.00
Kelse921075.00
slcook54828.50
SonnyJack304.50
CHSe9296.50
      05-25-2022, 02:13 PM   #3338
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

All things considered and how defeated you were following everything this is really great news.
Mostly cosmetic exterior parts, a few cooling parts, engine service while you're in there, and thankfully no major frame damage sounds like you'll be getting back on track in very little time if you want to be

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 3
CHSe9296.50
dogbone4662.00