BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-05-2023, 05:09 PM   #1
jnr
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Question Y-Cable and iPhone 15

Sorry if this is a bit basic, but I have a 2008 E93 M3. The car's Bluetooth only works for phone calls (that is how BMW designed it). I use the BMW proprietary Y-Cable to connect my iPhone to the car so that I can play music. This is a cable that has a male lightning connector on one side to connect to an iPhone, and a Y with a male USB-A and a male aux input to connect to the car. You need both the USB and aux input since BMW did not combine power and sound in the USB.

Now that I am getting an iPhone 15, I won't be able to connect the male lightning cable into the phone since the new iPhones come with USB-C ports instead of lightning.

I suppose I can add one more adapter (not sure if it will work) so that I have a female lightning to male USB-C connector. Bit of a pain since I already have to run an additional cable from the center armrest, where the Y cable lives, to the dash where I mount my phone.

Has anyone done this? Are there other ways to connect a USB-C cable to the car (i.e., has anyone been able to connect their android phones, which have long used USB, to one of these old cars).

Otherwise, I am considering adding Bluetooth and a USB input. I understand that mObridge makes a unit - the M2 Connect - that provides older Bluetooth (definitely not bluetooth 5) and a USB and or aux connection, but it is VERY old and apparently is not likely to get a lot of support.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 01:36 AM   #2
yardbro
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E39 528i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E92  [5.00]
Honestly the Bovee adapter has worked pretty well for me the past 2 years. Highly recommend ditching the cables and just switching this over to Bluetooth.

I don't have an iPhone 15 so I can't confirm compatibility 100% but I can't see why this wouldn't work for you. My iPhone 13 on iOS 17 works just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2023, 01:51 AM   #3
Scrippy
Lord Scrip
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Garage List
  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I’m sure BMW will make a new Y-Cable if they haven’t already. They make a little cable for the snap in adapter so the Y-cable shouldn’t be far out.
      10-06-2023, 09:44 AM   #4
greyspoke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT - Space Grey

I also use the Bovee adapter in my 2010 and it has worked very well so far. I can still control the music via the iDrive. The only issue I currently have is that each time I get in the car, the volume of the music is almost zero. I need to raise the volume to listening level each time.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 06:09 PM   #5
jnr
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Thanks - But Hoping for a Hardwired Solution

Thanks for the bluetooth suggestions. Unfortunately, I was hoping for a hardwire solution. I will try the addition of an apple dongle to convert lightning to USB c and see if it works.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 08:26 AM   #6
Ali-E90
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 323i (Cdn)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
2007 BMW 323i  [8.50]
I’d just recommend getting the mr12volt CarPlay unit. High quality audio via wireless CarPlay (that does NOT rely on factory aux, which is a known weak point for audio quality), and also provides Bluetooth audio for other devices or if you choose not to use CarPlay. Works great, and a reasonable DIY install. All hidden, no adaptors etc.
      10-10-2023, 09:12 AM   #7
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

I have not tested anything, but the way it's supposed to work is you can use a lightning to USB-C adapter. That would hypothetically make the y cable work.

For other scenarios, a USB A to USB C cable should cover it.

I am curious how well this all works, and am likely skipping this upgrade cycle due to all the bugs. I have a BMW wireless charger in my car, and the stories about it killing the NFC chip in the 15 pro are more than enough to wait.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 11:25 AM   #8
Woes_M3
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

I got this cable for the new iPhone 15 pro and it works very well in the car. Charging isn't crazy fast, but it helps a little

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B09DX4NLVL?...roduct_details
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 11:22 AM   #9
X5Blair
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X535d; M2, M3, M5, 540d, AMV8V

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnr View Post
Sorry if this is a bit basic, but I have a 2008 E93 M3. The car's Bluetooth only works for phone calls (that is how BMW designed it). I use the BMW proprietary Y-Cable to connect my iPhone to the car so that I can play music. This is a cable that has a male lightning connector on one side to connect to an iPhone, and a Y with a male USB-A and a male aux input to connect to the car. You need both the USB and aux input since BMW did not combine power and sound in the USB.

Now that I am getting an iPhone 15, I won't be able to connect the male lightning cable into the phone since the new iPhones come with USB-C ports instead of lightning.

I suppose I can add one more adapter (not sure if it will work) so that I have a female lightning to male USB-C connector. Bit of a pain since I already have to run an additional cable from the center armrest, where the Y cable lives, to the dash where I mount my phone.

Has anyone done this? Are there other ways to connect a USB-C cable to the car (i.e., has anyone been able to connect their android phones, which have long used USB, to one of these old cars).

Otherwise, I am considering adding Bluetooth and a USB input. I understand that mObridge makes a unit - the M2 Connect - that provides older Bluetooth (definitely not bluetooth 5) and a USB and or aux connection, but it is VERY old and apparently is not likely to get a lot of support.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?
Did you find a solution for this? I have several older BMW's and am looking for a hardwired USBC option as well.
Appreciate 0