BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 coup

fabspeed cat x pipe res. The best ?

I've read all post's on cat with x pipe and res. I've noticed that this is the only one that throws no cels and with the stock muffler has no drone. Also perfect fitment. Riss had problems and AA with cels and Ie with fitment and rpi to loud..We should have a vote or discussion on this. The reason is I bet a lot of people do not want a tune and a lot don't want to change the nice exhaust sound from stock. Also fabspeed with cat and res no tune is pushing 25hp which is better then the rest. Correct me if I'm wrong. Any elaboration would be suffice.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
M3ltdown
Master Chief
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e90 M3 JzB

From my research... Fabspeed does have the best HFCs and xpipe. I'm just waiting on more funds to buy one.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darwin316 View Post
From my research... Fabspeed does have the best HFCs and xpipe. I'm just waiting on more funds to buy one.
Fabspeed certainly doesn't have the best "X" design; I'd give that award to Gintani or Riss which put there X's as far forward as possible.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
Fabspeed certainly doesn't have the best "X" design; I'd give that award to Gintani or Riss which put there X's as far forward as possible.
Except on one's shown any proof of this, and unless the same car is run with all setups on the same dyno showing a couple HP difference between them is meaningless.
      08-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep

riss has a problem with fitment and vendors are thinking of removing from shelves because of fitment and less hp then fabspeed so how does riss have a better X pipe and gintani has no reputation compared to fabspeed. Also I never heard of anyone gettin a gintani with the cat and res. Also are thay giving cels codes and ses? Just playing devils advocate. More stats needed to verify gintani and reviews. AA was a smash when thay came out. But thay cel all the time and the price was unbelievable. Anyone else?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
powertrip
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
Except on one's shown any proof of this, and unless the same car is run with all setups on the same dyno showing a couple HP difference between them is meaningless.
Gintani is the only x-pipe that I've seen that puts down 30hp+ w/o a tune. I witnessed the dyno runs myself, so I'm pretty comfortable in saying that they have the best designed x-pipe. Also, one of the tuners over at Powerchip (Jeremy) told me that out of all the M3's that he has tuned that Gintani equipped cars make more power. I don't run their x-pipe, so I couldn't care less, but IMO they are on top in the power game. Only problem with their design is the CEL/SES light, but I hear that Alex is working on a solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep

That is it cels/ses. The power gains means nothing if the car needs to be serviced to remove codes. For 5 hp more it is not worth it. Fabspeed by a nose... I don't own any of products.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #8
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gintani is the only x-pipe that I've seen that puts down 30hp+ w/o a tune. I witnessed the dyno runs myself, so I'm pretty comfortable in saying that they have the best designed x-pipe. Also, one of the tuners over at Powerchip (Jeremy) told me that out of all the M3's that he has tuned that Gintani equipped cars make more power. I don't run their x-pipe, so I couldn't care less, but IMO they are on top in the power game. Only problem with their design is the CEL/SES light, but I hear that Alex is working on a solution.
There's no way moving the x a little more forward is giving your 10 - 15 HP more than the competitors. Did the car they tested have rear section also?
      08-11-2009, 03:40 PM   #9
powertrip
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Attached are some pictures that give you an idea of where the x-section is actually located. Note how the Riss is pushed forward? It also has very shallow angles going into the X which aides flow and increases exhaust gas velocity.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 03:43 PM   #10
powertrip
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
There's no way moving the x a little more forward is giving your 10 - 15 HP more than the competitors. Did the car they tested have rear section also?
Yes, it was running the Gintani rear section. I personally wouldn't have believed the numbers had I not been there .
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #11
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep

Are the cats the same as fabspeed? Why are thay throwing cel/ses code's then? Is it because of the x pipe being further down?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Attached are some pictures that give you an idea of where the x-section is actually located. Note how the Riss is pushed forward? It also has very shallow angles going into the X which aides flow and increases exhaust gas velocity.
Excellent point.
      08-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #13
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it was running the Gintani rear section. I personally wouldn't have believed the numbers had I not been there .
Then you can't really compare x-pipe sections if you're changing rear sections at the same time.
      08-11-2009, 04:27 PM   #14
powertrip
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Then you can't really compare x-pipe sections if you're changing rear sections at the same time.
I had the Fabspeed on my car at the time with the Gintani axle-back...so yeah .
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #15
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvagusta View Post
Are the cats the same as fabspeed? Why are thay throwing cel/ses code's then? Is it because of the x pipe being further down?
That depends, it could be something simple like an exhaust gas leak at one or both connecting flanges on the mid pipe.

Engine codes are thrown for a variety of reasons, and the catalytic converters are not the only thing that can trigger a fault...

Nearly 100% of the time, I hear someone mention a SES/CEL code being thrown....but they never go on to explain which fault code the ECU is identifying. There are hundreds of engine fault codes in the BMW master code books.

It would really help, if the guys who see these codes would publish exactly which ones are being thrown each time. That would really help out the rest of us who are considering this upgrade.

Pipe diameter and the angle of the bends will have a huge impact on the shape of the powerband. This is rarely discussed on these boards. All the 'X' pipes are using a slightly different methodology. (type of cats, resonators, piping O.D., wall thickness, bend radius, and shape of the X crossover section)

All of these little differences add up. It's all about finding that perfect balance between velocity (flow), and back pressure. Too much of one without the other...and you're power output is going to suffer.
      08-11-2009, 04:37 PM   #16
Noodlefoxes
Your Father
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
That depends, it could be something simple like an exhaust gas leak at one or both connecting flanges on the mid pipe.

Engine codes are thrown for a variety of reasons, and the catalytic converters are not the only thing that can trigger a fault...

Nearly 100% of the time, I hear someone mention a SES/CEL code being thrown....but they never go on to explain which fault code the ECU is identifying. There are hundreds of engine fault codes in the BMW master code books.

It would really help, if the guys who see these codes would publish exactly which ones are being thrown each time. That would really help out the rest of us who are considering this upgrade.

Pipe diameter and the angle of the bends will have a huge impact on the shape of the powerband. This is rarely discussed on these boards. All the 'X' pipes are using a slightly different methodology. (type of cats, resonators, piping O.D., wall thickness, bend radius, and shape of the X crossover section)

All of these little differences add up. It's all about finding that perfect balance between velocity (flow), and back pressure. Too much of one without the other...and you're power output is going to suffer.

Also an excellent point

'08 E92 M3- MR- Tubi Style Exhaust- HRE P90 19's Powder Coated Black
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #17
TOOMANYCARS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I'd used Fabspeed's products on my Cayenne S back then, their fit and finish were top notch, and that's why I'm using their setup for my M3 again. Just waiting for the UPS guy to drop them off at my house.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 05:07 PM   #18
rod1
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

I believe we should make a sticky thread which compares x-pipes like the exhaust comparo which was made earlier this week. We need pics, prices, warranties, and independent dyno's.

Anyone actually dyno'd their riss racing x-pipe yet? Their price seems to be the best by a long shot but some are complaining of drone because the lack of any resonators. Also there's the SES issue.

On a side note, no aftermarket X-pipe with HFC's for any car should cost $2500. That is just a rip off.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 08:54 PM   #19
mvagusta
Lieutenant
Rep

with all the cat and xpipe and res system the gintani is the best producing power. Why can't thay fix the codes? Dinan just came out with a 2900 system with tune and four resonators that is not loud and their numbers are i think 25hp. But I wonder if you look at there system and see if the power is throw the entire rpm band it would make it a better compared to the other's. So if we can get dyno's of all the others we can see if dinan makes 25 one place and the other ones make less it would be helpful i picking a system..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #20
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

I'd like to know which is more prone to throug a CEL. Encore X-pipe or the Fabspeed? I'm looking at those two.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 10:17 PM   #21
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod1 View Post
I believe we should make a sticky thread which compares x-pipes like the exhaust comparo which was made earlier this week. We need pics, prices, warranties, and independent dyno's.

Anyone actually dyno'd their riss racing x-pipe yet? Their price seems to be the best by a long shot but some are complaining of drone because the lack of any resonators. Also there's the SES issue.

On a side note, no aftermarket X-pipe with HFC's for any car should cost $2500. That is just a rip off.
I agree..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 10:19 PM   #22
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvagusta View Post
with all the cat and xpipe and res system the gintani is the best producing power. Why can't thay fix the codes? Dinan just came out with a 2900 system with tune and four resonators that is not loud and their numbers are i think 25hp. But I wonder if you look at there system and see if the power is throw the entire rpm band it would make it a better compared to the other's. So if we can get dyno's of all the others we can see if dinan makes 25 one place and the other ones make less it would be helpful i picking a system..
25 HP with an ECU tune for $2900+ is not good.
Appreciate 0