BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-11-2020, 11:57 AM   #177
Kelse92
Captain
United_States
489
Rep
835
Posts

Drives: 2013 e92 M3 & 2015 X3 28i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejnc View Post
Anyone run 275/35/18 tires on 18x10.5 with the shorter Eibach springs with success?
Yes, fits fine
__________________

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
mikejnc18.00

      08-11-2020, 12:14 PM   #178
mikejnc
Private
mikejnc's Avatar
United_States
18
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: 09 AW E90 M3, 18 RX350L
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Yes, fits fine
Thanks! What final offset are you running on the wheels to avoid perch rub?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 08:33 AM   #179
Kelse92
Captain
United_States
489
Rep
835
Posts

Drives: 2013 e92 M3 & 2015 X3 28i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejnc View Post
Thanks! What final offset are you running on the wheels to avoid perch rub?
Et22 or 25 works well. I have the et27 EC-7ís I run with a 5mm spacer
__________________

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
mikejnc18.00

      09-11-2020, 07:14 PM   #180
LS3Series
Private
LS3Series's Avatar
17
Rep
59
Posts

Drives: BMW 330i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Richmond, VA

iTrader: (0)

Some pics for visual reference.

2006 E90 330i converted to complete M3 front suspension brakes etc.

KW CS 2ways (M3 version)

Apex Arc8 18x10 et 25

Bridgestone RE71R 275/35/18 Tires

KW stock 170/61/110 yellow spring, Pictured with 5mm spacer! Wouldnt fit without spacer.

Eibach 140/60/110 red spring, pictured NO spacer.

For reference, my spring perch is moved up Exactly 30mm higher for the eibach spring which is the same as the difference in springs and equal ride height as a result.

For the KW spring the spring perch is 10 turns up from bottom, Eibach spring I am 8.5 Turns down from the top.

Dead Horse I know, but maybe another visual will help someone else!
Attached Images
   
Appreciate 3
Kelse92489.00
dozaiya195.00
UnicornM155.00

      09-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #181
Iceberg157
New Member
2
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: VW R32 MK4, BMW E46 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (0)

I have KW CS 3-ways. Will the same Eibach spring work (140/60/110)?
__________________
Rides: 2003 E46 M3, 2008 E92 M3, 2004 MK4 R32
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 11:37 AM   #182
slicer
Major General
slicer's Avatar
United_States
1971
Rep
6,371
Posts

Drives: '13 E92 M3 - '20 X3MC
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wisconsin - Instagram - @slicer_m

iTrader: (37)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg157 View Post
I have KW CS 3-ways. Will the same Eibach spring work (140/60/110)?
Yes, but check your spring rate to ensure it's what is on the car unless you are looking to change the spring rate. Some kits came with 90 nm, some with 110 nm.
__________________
'13 E92 M3 - Ohlins TTX, SPL Susp Arms, AP Racing BBK (Essex), Akrapovic GT4, CSF Cooling, VPhreaks Bat, OE M3 GTS - Lip/RSD/Cage, M240ir Wing, Varis Diffuser, Karbonius Airbox, MFactory DS, M24 Door Cards, KMP Wheel, Sparco Seats w/BK Mounts, BBS E88, 3200 lbs
'20 X3M Comp - BBS LM (21"), H&R Springs, Akrapovic EVO Exhaust
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #183
Iceberg157
New Member
2
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: VW R32 MK4, BMW E46 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Yes, but check your spring rate to ensure it's what is on the car unless you are looking to change the spring rate. Some kits came with 90 nm, some with 110 nm.
Just looked and the spring shows 110-170*. Im assuming its 110nm then. I want to keep the same spring rate so it would be that same part #?
__________________
Rides: 2003 E46 M3, 2008 E92 M3, 2004 MK4 R32
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 10:18 PM   #184
slicer
Major General
slicer's Avatar
United_States
1971
Rep
6,371
Posts

Drives: '13 E92 M3 - '20 X3MC
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wisconsin - Instagram - @slicer_m

iTrader: (37)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceberg157 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Yes, but check your spring rate to ensure it's what is on the car unless you are looking to change the spring rate. Some kits came with 90 nm, some with 110 nm.
Just looked and the spring shows 110-170*. Im assuming its 110nm then. I want to keep the same spring rate so it would be that same part #?
Yes
__________________
'13 E92 M3 - Ohlins TTX, SPL Susp Arms, AP Racing BBK (Essex), Akrapovic GT4, CSF Cooling, VPhreaks Bat, OE M3 GTS - Lip/RSD/Cage, M240ir Wing, Varis Diffuser, Karbonius Airbox, MFactory DS, M24 Door Cards, KMP Wheel, Sparco Seats w/BK Mounts, BBS E88, 3200 lbs
'20 X3M Comp - BBS LM (21"), H&R Springs, Akrapovic EVO Exhaust
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 09:23 AM   #185
Iceberg157
New Member
2
Rep
22
Posts

Drives: VW R32 MK4, BMW E46 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Queens, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Yes
Thanks for confirming.
__________________
Rides: 2003 E46 M3, 2008 E92 M3, 2004 MK4 R32
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:34 PM   #186
Kelse92
Captain
United_States
489
Rep
835
Posts

Drives: 2013 e92 M3 & 2015 X3 28i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

I pulled my clubsports off a few weeks ago and had KW rebuild them. About to put them back on but it's got me thinking again... At the ride height I was at when I pulled them off the helper spring was fully compressed and really only acting as a 'spacer,' even at full-droop so any con's of just ditching the helper and getting a 160/170 length spring?
__________________

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:01 PM   #187
tsk94
Captain
tsk94's Avatar
Canada
460
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
I pulled my clubsports off a few weeks ago and had KW rebuild them. About to put them back on but it's got me thinking again... At the ride height I was at when I pulled them off the helper spring was fully compressed and really only acting as a 'spacer,' even at full-droop so any con's of just ditching the helper and getting a 160/170 length spring?
Your helper was fully compressed at FULL droop?

If that's the case, then the helper is doing nothing. Like you said, it's just acting as a spacer and taking up space.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #188
Kelse92
Captain
United_States
489
Rep
835
Posts

Drives: 2013 e92 M3 & 2015 X3 28i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Your helper was fully compressed at FULL droop?

If that's the case, then the helper is doing nothing. Like you said, it's just acting as a spacer and taking up space.
Yup, I forgot to take a picture but it was dong nothing. I think the small Eibach spring though will be just a bit too short without it though so going to see if I can dig up the OE KW Springs or get some new ones.
__________________

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:11 PM   #189
tsk94
Captain
tsk94's Avatar
Canada
460
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Yup, I forgot to take a picture but it was dong nothing. I think the small Eibach spring though will be just a bit too short without it though so going to see if I can dig up the OE KW Springs or get some new ones.
You must have the car quite high haha. If that's the ride height you're going to stay at though, there's no reason you need to keep it there. With that being said, the only reason to go through the hassle of taking it off would be if you need additional clearance for a larger tire.

KW should be able to get you any spring length and rate you want, but there seems to be some good Eibach options people have tested - not sure if they'd work for your ride height though. Going to a shorter spring, in the same rate, is fine as long as the spring has sufficient stroke. Going stiffer is much simpler because you'll need less stroke, thus a shorter and stiffer spring is an easier replacement. With that being said, I wouldn't recommend going stiffer in the front without stiffening the rear, the CS (and 99% of all suspension options for the E9X M3's for that matter) are already very front-biased.
__________________

Last edited by tsk94; 10-21-2020 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:27 PM   #190
Kelse92
Captain
United_States
489
Rep
835
Posts

Drives: 2013 e92 M3 & 2015 X3 28i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
You must have the car quite high haha. If that's the ride height you're going to stay at though, there's no reason you need to keep it there. With that being said, the only reason to go through the hassle of taking it off would be if you need additional clearance for a larger tire.

KW should be able to get you any spring length and rate you want, but there seems to be some good Eibach options people have tested - not sure if they'd work for your ride height though. Going to a shorter spring, in the same rate, is fine as long as the spring has sufficient stroke. Going stiffer is much simpler because you'll need less stroke, thus a shorter and stiffer spring is an easier replacement. With that being said, I wouldn't recommend going stiffer in the front without stiffening the rear, the CS (and 99% of all suspension options for the E9X M3's for that matter) are already very front-biased.
Yeah, I like the shorter Eibach spring I have now, it's just going to be too short without the helper. For reference on my ride height, I have it up there, but its still a little lower than stock. My spring perch is pretty close to the top of the shock threads though up front. Trying to cram the biggest tire I possibly can under the car
__________________

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:32 PM   #191
tsk94
Captain
tsk94's Avatar
Canada
460
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Yeah, I like the shorter Eibach spring I have now, it's just going to be too short without the helper. For reference on my ride height, I have it up there, but its still a little lower than stock. My spring perch is pretty close to the top of the shock threads though up front. Trying to cram the biggest tire I possibly can under the car
So, you're already running a shorter Eibach spring? If that's the case and you're worried that removing the helper will simply be too much, you can look into doing something similar to what I did on my KW's. Is the rate and length of your helper marked on the spring? I believe it should be a 10-60-80, 10n/mm is the rate, and 80mm is the height. That's what mine originally were and I believe the CS uses the same.. I went to a 3-60-80 helper, which is the same length, but a softer rate. Due to being a softer rate the compressed height of the spring was something like 12mm less. This might be an option for you. I went into it in more detail in my build thread if you're interested.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:44 PM   #192
slicer
Major General
slicer's Avatar
United_States
1971
Rep
6,371
Posts

Drives: '13 E92 M3 - '20 X3MC
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wisconsin - Instagram - @slicer_m

iTrader: (37)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Your helper was fully compressed at FULL droop?

If that's the case, then the helper is doing nothing. Like you said, it's just acting as a spacer and taking up space.
Yup, I forgot to take a picture but it was dong nothing. I think the small Eibach spring though will be just a bit too short without it though so going to see if I can dig up the OE KW Springs or get some new ones.
You need both front wheels off the ground to test. The swaybar is compressing your helper with only one wheel off ground. Helper spring prevents miss alignment if BOTH front wheels are unweighted.
__________________
'13 E92 M3 - Ohlins TTX, SPL Susp Arms, AP Racing BBK (Essex), Akrapovic GT4, CSF Cooling, VPhreaks Bat, OE M3 GTS - Lip/RSD/Cage, M240ir Wing, Varis Diffuser, Karbonius Airbox, MFactory DS, M24 Door Cards, KMP Wheel, Sparco Seats w/BK Mounts, BBS E88, 3200 lbs
'20 X3M Comp - BBS LM (21"), H&R Springs, Akrapovic EVO Exhaust
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:58 PM   #193
Kelse92
Captain
United_States
489
Rep
835
Posts

Drives: 2013 e92 M3 & 2015 X3 28i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
You need both front wheels off the ground to test. The swaybar is compressing your helper with only one wheel off ground. Helper spring prevents miss alignment if BOTH front wheels are unweighted.
I had the car on a lift when I looked at this.
__________________

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #194
Kelse92
Captain
United_States
489
Rep
835
Posts

Drives: 2013 e92 M3 & 2015 X3 28i
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
So, you're already running a shorter Eibach spring? If that's the case and you're worried that removing the helper will simply be too much, you can look into doing something similar to what I did on my KW's. Is the rate and length of your helper marked on the spring? I believe it should be a 10-60-80, 10n/mm is the rate, and 80mm is the height. That's what mine originally were and I believe the CS uses the same.. I went to a 3-60-80 helper, which is the same length, but a softer rate. Due to being a softer rate the compressed height of the spring was something like 12mm less. This might be an option for you. I went into it in more detail in my build thread if you're interested.
Thanks, that's a good idea on the lighter helper. Might be a good happy medium here. I don't totally want to ditch the helper, but the 10-68-80 one is too much. I'll take a look over in your thread
__________________

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #195
slicer
Major General
slicer's Avatar
United_States
1971
Rep
6,371
Posts

Drives: '13 E92 M3 - '20 X3MC
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wisconsin - Instagram - @slicer_m

iTrader: (37)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelse92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
You need both front wheels off the ground to test. The swaybar is compressing your helper with only one wheel off ground. Helper spring prevents miss alignment if BOTH front wheels are unweighted.
I had the car on a lift when I looked at this.
Cool.
__________________
'13 E92 M3 - Ohlins TTX, SPL Susp Arms, AP Racing BBK (Essex), Akrapovic GT4, CSF Cooling, VPhreaks Bat, OE M3 GTS - Lip/RSD/Cage, M240ir Wing, Varis Diffuser, Karbonius Airbox, MFactory DS, M24 Door Cards, KMP Wheel, Sparco Seats w/BK Mounts, BBS E88, 3200 lbs
'20 X3M Comp - BBS LM (21"), H&R Springs, Akrapovic EVO Exhaust
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:05 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST