BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-23-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
Benfro89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

ABS Pump and Brake Fluid Flush Procedure?

Hey guys, I'm about to do my 2 year brake fluid service. I just got my Castrol SRF in and am ready to go but I have one question.

I have heard that the ABS unit holds fluid and some people/dealerships possibly activate the pump to flush this system. I was looking at buying a scan tool to do this (Foxwell NT510) but I'm not sure how the procedure works.

Would I use the tool to activate the ABS pump then do the regular old school bleed like normal or operate the pump at each wheel to make sure I thoroughly flush the old fluid out of the ABS unit?

I am quite anal with all of this and try to do the best job I can but is this pump activation even needed? I haven't been able to find much on it. I have heard mixed opinions on whether the dealerships do this or not.

Thank you guys very much for the help!

Also if anyone is interested in Castrol SRF with this shortage I found a small business that has plenty as gets regular shipments if that would help you guys I could add the link.

Last edited by Benfro89; 07-23-2020 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2020, 10:24 PM   #2
Benfro89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Anyone have any info on this?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2020, 01:25 AM   #3
swhat
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 MW E92

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1329075
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 09:49 AM   #4
Benfro89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the video. I have seen that post, what if you are using a scan tool like Foxwell? I'm beginning to get close to just flushing the system without the ABS activation.

If your using a scan tool I just don't understand how thr procedure goes. Old school flush the system then plug in the tool and activate the ABS unit pumping air and old fluid back into the newly flushed system? Or activate the ABS pump before and you'll still have old fluid just getting pumped through the unit?

Sorry guys I feel like I am overthinking this. I just don't understand how it all works.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
Gossypiboma
Major
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 6MT 18' M3 CS

I would think you activate the pump while you are bleeding each caliper.
      07-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #6
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

INPA and ISTA walks you through the procedure with on screen instructions. Hopefully the foxwell does the same.

Basically you fill the brake fluid level, open a bleeder, then go into the car. It will tell you when to press the pedal and when to hold.

It uses/wastes alot more brake fluid than normal methods, but it does work, I usually do it any time the system was opened.

Not doing it the correct way, can lead to a soft pedal or not as firm as it could be, because there is air in the system.

Search for some YouTube videos that uses the inpa method , that will give you an idea.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 11:56 AM   #7
Benfro89
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
INPA and ISTA walks you through the procedure with on screen instructions. Hopefully the foxwell does the same.

Basically you fill the brake fluid level, open a bleeder, then go into the car. It will tell you when to press the pedal and when to hold.

It uses/wastes alot more brake fluid than normal methods, but it does work, I usually do it any time the system was opened.

Not doing it the correct way, can lead to a soft pedal or not as firm as it could be, because there is air in the system.

Search for some YouTube videos that uses the inpa method , that will give you an idea.
From what I understand the Foxwell tool just activates the pump. One pump at a time. I have called multiple shops (EAS included) and looked up brake fluid flush DIYS here in the forums. Everyone says just flush it normally. Especially if I haven't opened the system.

How much fluid is in the ABS system? I have activated abs recently. Do you think it will be okay to just do a old school flush?

This is a video of the abs pump being activated via Foxwell

Dang it I think I figured it out. I can fill the resvoir with new fluid. Active the abs pump with one of the nipples open flush the abs unit then I can do the old school bleeding method and the whole system will be flushed. If this sounds correct then I guess I don't get to bleed the brakes today.

Last edited by Benfro89; 07-26-2020 at 12:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 10:09 PM   #8
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Here's the official procedure from TIS: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...lation/GNyEPyU

Looks like you have to run the abs pump procedure after doing normal bleeding with a pressure bleeder. It looks like after you activate the abs pump with the foxwell, you need to have someone pump the brakes 5x and release the fluids from the bleeder again.