BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Midwest / Rockies

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-12-2020, 11:26 AM   #1
MSH_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

CO Emissions Testing for SC cars - Denver area

Hi All,

Currently have a mk7 big turbo Golf R that is a great all-rounder for here in CO, but it's a bit boring being DSG and AWD w/ FWD bias. I'm a former S52 M Coupe owner that was well sorted for track use and while I would love to get back into a M Coupe I'd prefer a S54 this time around, but the prices as most know are out of control.
I've been all over the map on what I want to move to but it's pretty much narrowed down to E46 M3, M2 (much prefer the newer Comp but used prices kind of out of $ range I want to spend right now), and finally a E9x M3. If I went E9x M3 I'm very intrigued with throwing on a ESS or Harrop SC to mitigate the big hit the NA car takes up here at altitude.
Bottom line question is for those of you that are in emissions required counties (I'm in Jeffco) that have an SC on your E9x M3 how has the inspection process gone? Any trouble whatsoever passing?
Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 10:45 PM   #2
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH_ View Post
Hi All,

Currently have a mk7 big turbo Golf R that is a great all-rounder for here in CO, but it's a bit boring being DSG and AWD w/ FWD bias. I'm a former S52 M Coupe owner that was well sorted for track use and while I would love to get back into a M Coupe I'd prefer a S54 this time around, but the prices as most know are out of control.
I've been all over the map on what I want to move to but it's pretty much narrowed down to E46 M3, M2 (much prefer the newer Comp but used prices kind of out of $ range I want to spend right now), and finally a E9x M3. If I went E9x M3 I'm very intrigued with throwing on a ESS or Harrop SC to mitigate the big hit the NA car takes up here at altitude.
Bottom line question is for those of you that are in emissions required counties (I'm in Jeffco) that have an SC on your E9x M3 how has the inspection process gone? Any trouble whatsoever passing?
Thanks in advance!
First inspection was without the SC. Upon install and rubbing test pipes was able to pass emissions via the road side drive by stations.

I've since gone fully catless. Assessing my options for preparing for next year's emissions.
      03-10-2021, 09:06 PM   #3
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
S/C won't negate your ability to pass emissions. I know a few people in the denver area with various kits installed and they pass, but typically have to reinstall stock cats to get readiness completed. I'm going to do some further experimental testing with an NA catless car hoping to get O2 sensors ready without cats, but time will tell if it's successful.
2 of us here in this thread would give a vote for harrop stage 2, if we have a vote haha.
Appreciate 2
DRLane3982.50
MSH_107.00
      03-10-2021, 09:32 PM   #4
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
S/C won't negate your ability to pass emissions. I know a few people in the denver area with various kits installed and they pass, but typically have to reinstall stock cats to get readiness completed. I'm going to do some further experimental testing with an NA catless car hoping to get O2 sensors ready without cats, but time will tell if it's successful.
2 of us here in this thread would give a vote for harrop stage 2, if we have a vote haha.
Yes. Get out the vote!
      03-13-2021, 10:24 AM   #5
MSH_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
First inspection was without the SC. Upon install and rubbing test pipes was able to pass emissions via the road side drive by stations.

I've since gone fully catless. Assessing my options for preparing for next year's emissions.
Quote:
Thanks to you both! So I would honestly try and stick catted mainly cause I don't want to deal with the smell issue especially with the wife and kids.
With that said looking at the $3500 cost for the Fabspeed Sport cat set up makes me cringe
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 06:04 PM   #6
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post

Quote:
Thanks to you both! So I would honestly try and stick catted mainly cause I don't want to deal with the smell issue especially with the wife and kids.
With that said looking at the $3500 cost for the Fabspeed Sport cat set up makes me cringe
Just put a single high quality GESI 300-400 cell, high horsepower applicable Cats welded in closer to the secondary position. Have the shop weld bungs on for the secondary O2s. Then you'll be able to detune the SC to stock and set the readiness sensors without any physical changes. Or might even be able to have you SC tuner give you a file with the secondaries still active.
      03-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #7
AlpinaFS
Rep
Drives: M3, M5

Quote:
The price of CATs has skyrocketed due to precious metal costs. Sure, you can find low-quality CATs for less, but they'll cause a CEL. Pretty sure Fabspeed is the exclusive importer of HJS Catalytic Converters, Guaranteed no CEL, and known for being the industry's Gold Standard.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2021, 09:54 PM   #8
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinaFS View Post
Quote:
The price of CATs has skyrocketed due to precious metal costs. Sure, you can find low-quality CATs for less, but they'll cause a CEL. Pretty sure Fabspeed is the exclusive importer of HJS Catalytic Converters, Guaranteed no CEL, and known for being the industry's Gold Standard.
3500 for a mid pipe is nuts. Fabspeed stuff is typically pretty nice, but not that nice.
Appreciate 0