BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

02-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
jacoby521
///M Car Newbie
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

I am trying to make a decision on which cat-less bolt-on x-pipe w/resonators to buy and I have not been able to find much information that is recent. I've searched the forums and there is some good info from different people but nothing recent with some of the new products available. I've have also talked to a few performance shops to get their opinion because I live in Michigan and I am unable to see or hear many of these setups in person.

I've basically narrowed it down to two, maybe three brands but I am open to suggestions. I want a decently loud setup that is not too high pitched and not too raspy. I also want a good build and weld quality with good fitment. I've heard of some brands to stay away from, so that's why I have not considered them. Here are the brands that I've narrowed it down to:

- RPi GTM - full bolt-on x-pipe, cat-less, two resonators

- Macht Schnell - full bolt-on x-pipe, cat-less, two resonators
(closest to Challenge Race x-pipe, from what EAS says)

- Gintani - full bolt-on x-pipe, cat-less, 2 or 4 resonators options
(double the price of the other two brands, not sure its worth the extra money)

I would initially be pairing this with the stock (no-mod) exhaust but eventually I would be looking to buy a rear section if I wanted it louder or to sound different. These are the two I am currently considering but again, I am open to suggestions;

RPi GTM
Remus Race

I really would like a deep, mean and loud sound. Many people have suggested the Akrapovic but to me it is just too much money for a full system and too quiet. I saw one YouTube video of the RPi with the stock exhaust on the top floor of a parking deck and it sounded like shit, totally cheap ricer fart can sound but there is no information on which version RPi that is. I read that the new GTM version with the resonators really cleaned up the sound and some of the rasp but I do not want to make a decision on that.

Just to put it out there as well, I do not want to cut up my stock exhaust and buy a test pipe. I know its a good option and affordable but I rather replace the whole thing, just seems more complete to me IMO. I'm not against spending a decent amount of money but I also do not want to spend a ridiculous amount either.

Any help or comments from people who have owned these, I would really appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #2
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

The Akra is really quiet, even when fully catless

Resonators are definitely a must. With the stock rear section it should sound quite nice! But you can always get a louder exhaust if you feel the need
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 02:57 PM   #3
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

The way I look at it is that you are wanting to buy some bent stainless pipe with resonators. I don't feel the need to pay a high price when they are all made from the same material and are the same size. I got the top speed quad resonated for 800$ and fitment is great. Too quiet with stock rear section so now I have a valved rear section.

Imo the money saved is better spent elsewhere on the car. The difference in sound/appearance of the rear section make sense to spend more for a look and sound you want but I say a low price xpipe is the way to go if you are going catless. All the value of a xpipe is in the cats so a catless should be alot cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
jacoby521
///M Car Newbie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
The way I look at it is that you are wanting to buy some bent stainless pipe with resonators. I don't feel the need to pay a high price when they are all made from the same material and are the same size. I got the top speed quad resonated for 800$ and fitment is great. Too quiet with stock rear section so now I have a valved rear section.

Imo the money saved is better spent elsewhere on the car. The difference in sound/appearance of the rear section make sense to spend more for a look and sound you want but I say a low price xpipe is the way to go if you are going catless. All the value of a xpipe is in the cats so a catless should be alot cheaper.
I agree but the Macht Schnell and RPi are not that far off the price of the top speed. It's $900 for quad and $800 for dual resonators. For a couple hundred more why not get a brand that you know has great build quality. Yes, they technically do the same thing but I've seen some people on the forum with cracked or broken welds on inexpensive pipes. That being said, the Gintani with quad resonators is totally not worth it at $2500, that's close to the titanium price range which is just ridiculous expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 07:11 PM   #5
eatsleepboost
Captain
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoby521 View Post
I agree but the Macht Schnell and RPi are not that far off the price of the top speed. It's $900 for quad and $800 for dual resonators. For a couple hundred more why not get a brand that you know has great build quality. Yes, they technically do the same thing but I've seen some people on the forum with cracked or broken welds on inexpensive pipes. That being said, the Gintani with quad resonators is totally not worth it at $2500 that close to the titanium price range which is just ridiculous expensive.
I agree that's still a reasonable price for a known good product. Many vendors on here seem to carry that as well. That's what I would recommend.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 07:27 PM   #6
mapster37
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

i have Active Autowerke race x-pipe (no primary or secondary cats) paired with stock muffler (couldnt justify the extra $$ of an aftermarket muffler for only a few extra ponies) its not really loud until you go above 50% throttle, i kind of like the sound it makes. At idle its slightly deeper tone. I hope this helps....

A++ on build quality and welds!
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2019, 07:53 PM   #7
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

with the 2-pipe mod, all else stock, I'm now thinking it's better to go X-pipe and not chop up my stock one... my only hesitation is that I was thinking having the stock secondaries would help minimize any smell/fumes. I've never owned a catless car, so my worry is purely around the "safety" of not having cats since I do use mine for lugging a toddler to school many mornings. Can anyone provide any input/info on what something like a quad Resonated x pipe means in terms of the fumes?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:46 PM   #8
jacoby521
///M Car Newbie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
with the 2-pipe mod, all else stock, I'm now thinking it's better to go X-pipe and not chop up my stock one... my only hesitation is that I was thinking having the stock secondaries would help minimize any smell/fumes. I've never owned a catless car, so my worry is purely around the "safety" of not having cats since I do use mine for lugging a toddler to school many mornings. Can anyone provide any input/info on what something like a quad Resonated x pipe means in terms of the fumes?
From what I've read it does nothing for the fumes, it just for sound to clean up some of the rasp. The only thing that will reduce the fumes and smell is adding in a HFC or leaving the stock secondary cats. I've read this only loses 5hp from cat-less.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:50 PM   #9
jacoby521
///M Car Newbie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatsleepboost View Post
Quote:
I agree but the Macht Schnell and RPi are not that far off the price of the top speed. It's $900 for quad and $800 for dual resonators. For a couple hundred more why not get a brand that you know has great build quality. Yes, they technically do the same thing but I've seen some people on the forum with cracked or broken welds on inexpensive pipes. That being said, the Gintani with quad resonators is totally not worth it at $2500 that close to the titanium price range which is just ridiculous expensive.
I agree that's still a reasonable price for a known good product. Many vendors on here seem to carry that as well. That's what I would recommend.
So, that's the question...between Macht Schnell and RPi x-pipes, which has less rasp and has better X placement. I've read that the further back the X goes the higher pitch the exhaust note but I do not know if that is more or less shitty sounding. I want a deep tone with less rasp. That was the one thing about the Gintani was the placement of the X but still not worth the $2500, lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #10
wfdeacon88
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfdeacon88 View Post
From what I've read it does nothing for the fumes, it just for sound to clean up some of the rasp. The only thing that will reduce the fumes and smell is adding in a HFC or leaving the stock secondary cats. I've read this only loses 5hp from castles.
Perfect, thanks. Probably will just go with some Rogue Resonated Test pipes for rasp, and leave secondaries there for fumes/smell... not worth risking it given my commute and frequent stops.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 08:54 PM   #11
jacoby521
///M Car Newbie
Rep

This is the video of the RPi x-pipe w/ stock exhaust that sounds like shit. Thought it does say it was form 2011...

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 05:40 AM   #12
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

I put on a full Akrapovic system and it's amazing. Loud when I want it to be and civilized when not needed. There are some for sale here on the forums and you could pick up a good system cheaper than new. Challenge is now being made by IND distribution. They are supposed to come back out with the Challenge x pipe here soon. If I didn't do a full Evo system then Challenge was going to be my second pick. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #13
jacoby521
///M Car Newbie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrews15 View Post
I put on a full Akrapovic system and it's amazing. Loud when I want it to be and civilized when not needed. There are some for sale here on the forums and you could pick up a good system cheaper than new. Challenge is now being made by IND distribution. They are supposed to come back out with the Challenge x pipe here soon. If I didn't do a full Evo system then Challenge was going to be my second pick. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Yeah, Challenge was the way I was going to go but I found out from EAS that they haven't made x-pipe's for almost 5 years. That's when I realized that most of the information I was looking through in the forums was way out dated.

I know the Akra is a good system and even with the used ones for sale, they are still expensive and from everything I've read it still might be a bit too quiet for me. I just don't want to spend that kind of money and not be completely happy with the sound level.

Last edited by jacoby521; 02-14-2019 at 10:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:31 PM   #14
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, Challenge was the way I was going to go but I found out from EAS that they haven't made x-pipe's for almost 5 years. That's when I realized that most of the information I was looking through in the forums was way out dated.

I know the Akra is a good system and even with the used ones for sale, they are still expensive and from everything I've read it still might be a bit too quiet for me. I just don't want to spend that kind of money and not be completely happy with the sound level.
How loud do you want it? I set off car alarms and rattled my daughter bedroom floor with the Akrapovic Evo system. Her room is right over the garage so she got the full effect and I didn't charge her for it. Look in the forums as Challenge is coming back out soon and maybe worth the wait.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #15
jacoby521
///M Car Newbie
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How loud do you want it? I set off car alarms and rattled my daughter bedroom floor with the Akrapovic Evo system. Her room is right over the garage so she got the full effect and I didn't charge her for it. Look in the forums as Challenge is coming back out soon and maybe worth the wait.
Talked with IND today and they are being back the Challenge X-pipes. They said it will be about two months before they are up and running so I'm thinking it's worth the wait.

As far as loudness, I guess I'm not really sure. I know I want something on the louder side and that I do not want cats but I have never heard any of these is person. I live north of Detroit and there are no many E9x M3's around. So, I'll just stick with the cat less and go from there. Just don't want it to sound like shit or fall apart.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 03:09 AM   #16
rks68rt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Dinan ZCP Black DCT

Catless xpipe battle

Here's two e92 cat-less xpipe examples for comparison......

White setup with MachSchnell xpipe and Megan cans
Black setup with Dinan xpipe and Dinan cans

Appreciate 1
      02-15-2019, 07:52 AM   #17
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I've heard the the Challenge X pipe and Akrapovic mufflers sounds amazing. However, exhaust sounds is purely subjective, so what sounds good to one may not to another. Plenty of You tube videos but they hardly do justice. Best of luck, but remember, if you go cheap don't expect a whole lot. Sometimes it's better to pony up the cash and get something that's worth it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #18
jacoby521
///M Car Newbie
Rep

Quote:
I've heard the the Challenge X pipe and Akrapovic mufflers sounds amazing. However, exhaust sounds is purely subjective, so what sounds good to one may not to another. Plenty of You tube videos but they hardly do justice. Best of luck, but remember, if you go cheap don't expect a whole lot. Sometimes it's better to pony up the cash and get something that's worth it.
Lol, you are correct, you do get what you pay for and I'm a firm believer in that but just out of curiosity do you have stock in Akrapovic???
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 11:53 AM   #19
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Lol, you are correct, you do get what you pay for and I'm a firm believer in that but just out of curiosity do you have stock in Akrapovic???
I only hold about 30% of their stocks so no motivation on my end at all.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:17 PM   #20
jacoby521
///M Car Newbie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks68rt View Post
Here's two e92 cat-less xpipe examples for comparison......

White setup with MachSchnell xpipe and Megan cans
Black setup with Dinan xpipe and Dinan cans

Definitely like the white better, deeper and less rasp...it would be even better if there was a full Akrapovic in there to compare both sound volume and quality.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 02:44 AM   #21
rks68rt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Dinan ZCP Black DCT

Quote:
Definitely like the white better, deeper and less rasp...it would be even better if there was a full Akrapovic in there to compare both sound volume and quality.
I forgot to mention, the black Dinan fires off first then the white mach schnell, then alternating back and forth. The Dinan has 4 resonators; the Mach Schnell has only two, hence it's louder, more rasp..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 08:25 AM   #22
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

There's really no benefit to going catless over HFC's at all, only negatives of smell / emissions. I'd look at the Evolve HFC x-pipe or the Challenge version as others have stated. Most full catless setups just sound like a raspy wall of noise, may as well of bought a Mustang and called it a day if thats what your looking for.
Appreciate 2