BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

BPM

01-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
cobbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Competition E90

OEM Bulb Upgrade LED?? HELP!

Swapped to LUX H8 6 months ago. Apparently they weren't installed correctly and now have moisture issues. They just don't fit correctly and come loose...

Is there an OEM BMW LED bulb upgrade for E90??

I need to swap back to OEM for warranty issues... stock is awful, there's gotta be another option?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #2
Hagasan41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ///M3, 1999 E36 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbs View Post
Swapped to LUX H8 6 months ago. Apparently they weren't installed correctly and now have moisture issues. They just don't fit correctly and come loose...

Is there an OEM BMW LED bulb upgrade for E90??

I need to swap back to OEM for warranty issues... stock is awful, there's gotta be another option?
LUX is regarded as the top option and the closest match to the newer BMW LED’s. There is no OEM LED upgrade.

There are tons of H8 LED’s that produce a whiter light at a cheaper price point, but results vary.

I would check to make sure the bulbs are locked into position before jumping ship. The fit is tight and grasping the bulb to turn it can be difficult using a long pair of needle nose pliers may help. Let your light dry out and try reinstalling them again.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 08:40 PM   #3
cobbs
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagasan41 View Post
LUX is regarded as the top option and the closest match to the newer BMW LED’s. There is no OEM LED upgrade.

There are tons of H8 LED’s that produce a whiter light at a cheaper price point, but results vary.

I would check to make sure the bulbs are locked into position before jumping ship. The fit is tight and grasping the bulb to turn it can be difficult using a long pair of needle nose pliers may help. Let your light dry out and try reinstalling them again.
Thanks, I know, did tons of research and all signs pointed that way. The shop said they were "much bigger than stock" and "almost impossible to install" does not sound right to me... dealer said one was loose and now that can't get it out to swap it! wtf?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 08:42 PM   #4
cobbs
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Do you think thats why I'm getting moisture? Its a lot of moisture! Hope so cause about to buy a new headlight!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
Hagasan41
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 ///M3, 1999 E36 ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbs View Post
Do you think thats why I'm getting moisture? Its a lot of moisture! Hope so cause about to buy a new headlight!
I do. I recall reading about members complaining of moisture in their headlights after they installed aftermarket bulbs. I’ve installed 2 sets of Lux bulbs without issues and my H8 180’s have been installed for almost 2 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 09:34 PM   #6
cobbs
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I do. I recall reading about members complaining of moisture in their headlights after they installed aftermarket bulbs. I’ve installed 2 sets of Lux bulbs without issues and my H8 180’s have been installed for almost 2 years.
That is very helpful thanks! Just gotta find someone who can install these correctly...
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 10:24 PM   #7
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Sounds like complete installer error... Dealership techs are useless when it comes to aftermarket items.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #8
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hey cobbs, i replied back to your message directly on this. I do want to put this out there for everyone else however.

The size of the LUX Bulbs do not have any impact on the covers and the cover will be able to be re-installed 100% the same afterwards to keep the headlight sealed. As long as the cover is put back in place correctly it will not have any impact on the headlight.

The LUX are slightly larger than stock but are still able to be installed without issues. We also do offer a install guide with tips on how to install these on our website.
Appreciate 0