BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

02-10-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
hackR
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M3 titanium silver

1st time brake replacement - recommendation?

My 2009 m3 coupe has hit 62k miles...on its original brakes and suspension...the rotors seem worn and there's now a slight vibration in the front...the tires/wheels are road force balanced, so i'm thinking its the brakes and/or other suspension/steering parts...

It's a seasonal car i drive for pleasure - no tracking or anything crazy...for braking, i'd be happy with the original OEM feel...It's put away for the winter, but i'm planning a spring replacement and would like to buy the necessary parts and bring to my independent shop that has BMW experience...

Preferring to replace with OEM rotor/pads, what else should i replace with this...control arms and bushings?...other parts?...i see the various kits out there, but not sure what is recommended to bring it back to spec feeling...

Should i only replace the front or should i do the rears, too...separate recommendations would be helpful

once again, not looking for a big brake kit - just a list of parts i should recommend at this mileage to bring it back to original spec/feeling...i only drive it 10k/year and only 8 months year...no winter crud...it's also garaged most of the time...

recommendations and guidance appreciated...R
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #2
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Zimmerman rotors and textar pads based on your driving style..
Appreciate 1
shimmy232348.50
      02-11-2019, 05:36 PM   #3
hackR
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrAcK TRaP View Post
Zimmerman rotors and textar pads based on your driving style..
re: rotors...the coated models?...should i being doing front/rear at the same time?...

any other advice on this?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Oem everything.
      02-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #5
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Hard to know what's due without an inspection. Look at F/R rotors and pads, front tension arm bushings, end links, etc. Not much else should be worn at 62K. Replace whatever is needed with OEM if you're happy with those parts.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:11 PM   #6
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Brakes aren't going to cause a vibration at speed unless the caliper is sticking, which would be very obvious when you feel the heat coming off the brakes and the pads get annihilated/tapered.

When your shop is doing the brake rotor and pad change, have them check out the suspension. It could be just about anything: bushings, tie rods, wheel bearings, etc. Avoid the urge to just start arbitrarily replacing parts -- spend the time to properly diagnose.

As far as what to use, just get an OEM rotor (or equivalent such as Balo or Zimmerman) and OEM pad (or equivalent such as Pagid, Textar, etc). The OEM brakes are more than capable for a street driven car. I guess you could look at a ceramic pad to keep the wheels a little bit cleaner? If you want to know if the rotors need to be replaced, just stick a small ruler between the spokes and measure the thickness. I would bet that by 62k the front rotors are nearing replacement, the rears only if you're an aggressive driver.
      02-12-2019, 07:51 PM   #7
hackR
Private
Rep

thank you all...i was not clear that the vibration occurs mostly upon braking...i will likely replace front and rear rotors and pads - along with a full inspection of the front suspension items mentioned...seems like the right thing to do...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #8
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackR View Post
thank you all...i was not clear that the vibration occurs mostly upon braking...i will likely replace front and rear rotors and pads - along with a full inspection of the front suspension items mentioned...seems like the right thing to do...
If you want to use OEM stuff just get this kit, you get lifetime warranty on everything they sell.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...e9xm3brakekit2