BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-10-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
antoine
Enlisted Member
France
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Weight reduction please

Hello guys

I need to take out the maximum weight that i can on the E92 for track

What the part i can remove ?

What the part i can replace by lightweight ?

seats - DONE
panel ?
hood ?
doors ?
trunk ?
exhaust ?
wheels - DONE
carbon roof - DONE
Battery ?
glass ?
airbag remove
floor remove
wire lightweight ?

other idea ?

I know the maximum target possible is 1250kg, but this is very very complicated and very expensive ....

thank for sharing opinions and informations
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoine View Post

Hello guys

I need to take out the maximum weight that i can on the E92 for track

What the part i can remove ?

What the part i can replace by lightweight ?

seats - DONE
panel ?
hood ?
doors ?
trunk ?
exhaust ?
wheels - DONE
carbon roof - DONE
Battery ?
glass ?
airbag remove
floor remove
wire lightweight ?

other idea ?

I know the maximum target possible is 1250kg, but this is very very complicated and very expensive ....

thank for sharing opinions and informations
Is 1250kg/2755lbs the target? If you are putting in a full cage, that is an extreme build. Everything in the car needs to be analyzed and changed out.

So, let's start with, what is your actual goal?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
antoine
Enlisted Member
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Is 1250kg/2755lbs the target? If you are putting in a full cage, that is an extreme build. Everything in the car needs to be analyzed and changed out.

So, let's start with, what is your actual goal?
Sorry man , 1250kg is my dream lol

My reality target is ..... under 1400 lol

1390 almost , 1350 as a small dream !

possible ? even if i have a roll cage ?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?p=2509621

Battery, brakes, driveshaft, SPL titanium links, titanium bolts.

Magnesium cage (you didn't mention a budget lol)
      02-10-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
antoine
Enlisted Member
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post

thank you man

yes i'm not rockfeller, sorry the budget is not unlimited lol
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #6
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoine View Post
Sorry man , 1250kg is my dream lol

My reality target is ..... under 1400 lol

1390 almost , 1350 as a small dream !

possible ? even if i have a roll cage ?
I suggest you check out my build on my build thread: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158445

I think it could be relevant to what you want. 1400kg is around just under 3100 lbs.

My car weighs 3250lbs/1474kg (no fuel no driver) with a full roll cage and full aero. HOWEVER, I have a supercharger that is almost 100 lbs, I do not have carbon doors---I have gutted OEM doors, and I have DCT (50lbs more than a 6-speed), and I have a sedan (which is around 50 lbs more than a 2-door).

If you were to do a build similar to mine without a supercharger, put in carbon doors, and you have a coupe that's a 6-speed manual, I think it would get you to where you want to be.

On that first post of my build thread, there is a full listing of what is on the car. And there's a bunch of pictures to show what it looks like.

And my car is by NO MEANS as light as it could be. There are quite a lot of things that can be done to my car to continue making it lighter. But the truth is, the car is very fast as it is, so I haven't been in a hurry to spend the BIG $$$ to get much smaller weight gains. (I do want carbon doors though.)
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11477.00
      02-10-2019, 10:19 PM   #7
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
It's easier if you're willing to give up all luxuries like power windows. My E46 M3 sits at 2586lbs with no fuel and a full cage right now. I've pulled out about 1000 lbs so far with no structural CF parts.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 10:30 PM   #8
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:

FYI - SPL links are AL with Ti set screws. I'm swapping all of my set screws to stainless. The Ti screws strip easily, and if you don't strip them, they aren't tight enough. SPL recommends a light use loctite formula (222ms)
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11584.50
Makaveli7116.50
      02-11-2019, 12:29 AM   #9
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Quote:

FYI - SPL links are AL with Ti set screws. I'm swapping all of my set screws to stainless. The Ti screws strip easily, and if you don't strip them, they aren't tight enough. SPL recommends a light use loctite formula (222ms)
Yep a buddy of mine had issues with the titanium screws. Too much wiggle in all the parts.

Titanium bolts/screws/lugs/fancyshit don't belong on track cars lol
      02-11-2019, 03:24 AM   #10
Makaveli7
Enthusiast
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Jerez Black

Quote:
Thanks for this! Are the original screws reusable on the SPL links? im installing these in a couple of weeks and if the ti screws will give headaches will not bother with them

'08 JB E92 m3 // CCB Brakes // ESS 625 //

https://www.instagram.com/makaveli777/
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 04:24 AM   #11
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli7 View Post
Quote:
Thanks for this! Are the original screws reusable on the SPL links? im installing these in a couple of weeks and if the ti screws will give headaches will not bother with them
Not sure what you mean by reusable. Are you asking if they can be repurposed? Sure, If there's something in your life that uses that same size screw. Are you asking if they are designed by SPL to be single use? No, the whole point of having adjustable arms is.... that you can in fact adjust them.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 04:52 AM   #12
Makaveli7
Enthusiast
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Jerez Black

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by reusable. Are you asking if they can be repurposed? Sure, If there's something in your life that uses that same size screw. Are you asking if they are designed by SPL to be single use? No, the whole point of having adjustable arms is.... that you can in fact adjust them.
Oh what I got from SPL were there rear upper toe and camber arms and I think you were referring to the SPL front end links which would have the screws there n the ball joint.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...s-with-el-kit/
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...ecamber-links/

I was asking if I should use the provided screws in the kit or use oem screws.

'08 JB E92 m3 // CCB Brakes // ESS 625 //

https://www.instagram.com/makaveli777/
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 05:32 AM   #13
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli7 View Post
Quote:
Oh what I got from SPL were there rear upper toe and camber arms and I think you were referring to the SPL front end links which would have the screws there n the ball joint.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...s-with-el-kit/
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...ecamber-links/

I was asking if I should use the provided screws in the kit or use oem screws.
I'm talking about the titanium screws in the collar that locks the arms in place (the small blue screws in the part pictured in your link). You are taking about something else.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #14
antoine
Enlisted Member
France
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I suggest you check out my build on my build thread: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158445

I think it could be relevant to what you want. 1400kg is around just under 3100 lbs.

My car weighs 3250lbs/1474kg (no fuel no driver) with a full roll cage and full aero. HOWEVER, I have a supercharger that is almost 100 lbs, I do not have carbon doors---I have gutted OEM doors, and I have DCT (50lbs more than a 6-speed), and I have a sedan (which is around 50 lbs more than a 2-door).

If you were to do a build similar to mine without a supercharger, put in carbon doors, and you have a coupe that's a 6-speed manual, I think it would get you to where you want to be.

On that first post of my build thread, there is a full listing of what is on the car. And there's a bunch of pictures to show what it looks like.

And my car is by NO MEANS as light as it could be. There are quite a lot of things that can be done to my car to continue making it lighter. But the truth is, the car is very fast as it is, so I haven't been in a hurry to spend the BIG $$$ to get much smaller weight gains. (I do want carbon doors though.)

thank you, lets go to read your topic !
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #15
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
interesting. i was thinking the links are titanium based on how they title the parts.

are you running every part they make, or just a few?
      02-11-2019, 10:31 AM   #16
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
interesting. i was thinking the links are titanium based on how they title the parts.

are you running every part they make, or just a few?
I have the full package. Great parts; really well made with the exception of the Ti screws. Better than the other options I have seen and had (BW, Fall Line, etc). Plus they have given me fantastic tech support and custom length end links, hardware, etc to correct some clearance challenges I had with my eibach sway bars. I think it could be possible to make the Ti screws work with loctite but I have already stripped half of them. Plus I frequently find they loosen on their own. Stainless is more durable and can handle more tightening torque. This is one of the reasons that I'm not big on converting bolts to Ti in order to save weight. Weight savings is minimal and hassle is increased.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 02-11-2019 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11584.50
      02-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #17
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have the full package. Great parts; really well made with the exception of the Ti screws. Better than the other options I have seen and had (BW, Fall Line, etc). Plus they have given me fantastic tech support and custom length end links, hardware, etc to correct some clearance challenges I had with my eibach sway bars. I think it could be possible to make the Ti screws work with loctite but I have already stripped half of them. Plus I frequently find them to loosen on their own. Stainless is more durable and can handle more tightening torque. This is one of the reasons that I'm not big on converting bolts to Ti in order to save weight. Weight savings is minimal and hassle is increased.
yea, i wouldn't like that. i'm a bit leery of using titanium for essential parts- especially parts that get tightened/loosened for adjustment... it just increases the chances of galling. ti64.com sells nylon lock nuts, even nylon lock nuts that are 1/2 depth. cool stuff for non-essential parts.