BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
Vedubin01
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

MLT Brake Brackets "Winston" aka Maxroach

Hello I would like to take this time to write a favorable review of the MLT AMG 6 piston BBK that I'm sure many of you have seen in the "What have you done with or to your M3 today?" thread.

I first want to make it known that I personally know Winston. We have worked on some projects and a start up in the past and I want you to know that has nothing to do with this review as I am a customer just like you on this.

That being said up front. I had talked to Winston when he was in the process of making the 360mm BBK using the AMG 6piston Calipers from a CLS63 W219 and was curious just like many of you on the progress of this bracket he was in the mist of designing. I was super interested as one of my next mods was going to be a BBK of some sort. But this intrigued me and after talking to him several times I felt this might be what I was looking for.

I know there is a company called Freaky Parts that already makes this bracket and it was already being sold to the public cheaper than this bracket is currently. But I chose to go with the bracket made by Winston due to several features. 1. this bracket is designed and made in the USA with 6061 T6 aluminum. 2.The bracket is sleeved with hardened steal inserts to help provide a much stronger bracket. 3. Its anodized and fitment and finish is second to none. 4. A forum member here designed and made this.

After going back and forth I brought up the idea of the 380mm rotor. I mean if you are going to go BBK why not go all out right? His original concept of this project was he wanted a BBK to fit under a 18" stock wheel using the stock rotors to help those that wanted a BBK to save cost by not having to buy new rotors. I agreed with him and told him to hit me up when he got to the 380mm brackets.

Well low and behold with in what seemed like hours he had stayed up all night and banged out the design of the 380mm bracket and he was sending it off to machining where he personally tested this though canyon runs in the LA area. After about a month or so of heavy use he was really liking the 380mm option. Boom!

As you see in the picture above the bracket is a work of ART! Beautiful and looked amazing just sitting on my desk just waiting for install. I had purchased the AMG Brakes from an Ebay seller and stripped them completely down for a total rebuild. At first I thought it would be kind of a dig at BMW if I left the AMG on the side. As our cars should have come with muti piston brakes in the first place. Then I was like naw, lets go all out and do this right. So I powder coated the brakes a two color. Silver sparkle logo and what I tried to be Fox Red to match my interior. But after clearing them it brought out so much more of the orange color. I was too proud of the work so I just left it as they looked amazing.

I then went to reseal this and Centric sells a seal kit for this for $83 shipped on most websites. Could not for the life of me find it on FCP Euro even though they sold every other seal out there. I went with RaceBrakes out of California and had them here in days but paid a bit more. Simple rebuild.

I spoke with Ken from KNS Brakes and this guy is a GURU when it comes to brakes. Way more technical than I could even imagine. He totally hooked me up with the Girodisk 380mm x 32mm F8x rotors and I went with the Hawk HPS 5.0 pads. One good thing about this kit is the ability to find a huge assortment from different manufacture on brake pads. Even cheaper than the Factory BMW sized brakes of the same brand. To me that is a plus if I ever want to find pads for this later in life.

Install was basically straight forward. But I personally ran into some issues. I had a bleeder valve seat not true and would not stop leaking. It was not build up or anything. But the seat was damaged. Not good when you got brake fluid pouring out everywhere and cant stop it. After 4 machine shops and 3 brake shops not a one could tell me if it could be re machined or had an idea to how to fix it. So I went off to my local race shop to pick up more Motul 600 and asked them. They led me to a Wilwood valve stem that uses its own piece to seat the valve. This was amazing and I feel all brakes should be this way just for this reason alone.

So after the fix I got it all installed and was ready to go. I personally ran into 1 more issue before I felt it was safe to test out these bad boys. I could not get it to bleed the air out of the line. I have a pressure bleeder and did it step by step. I've done this many times. With these calipers you bleed the inside one first then the outside. But that still did not fix the issue. I talked back and forth with Winston on this and we could not figure it out. I ended up going to a friends house who has the StopTech kit all the way around and asked him to test my car. He said it did not feel the same but he would not worry to badly about it. Maybe the new brakes gave ya a new petal feel. I was not satisfied with that answer and on my way home I remembered a thread about using the computer to turn on the ABS pump to bleed it from there. I did this and BOOM I have some amazing as brakes that will pull the major G forces when standing on them. These things ROCK! No BIAS issues, and stock petal feel!

So dealing with Winston has been awesome as usual. Im sure many will vouch for that. He is extremely talented and a huge benefit for our community. He has gone over and above with support and I feel that would be for anyone looking for advise and not just because I already have a relationship built with him.

If you are ever thinking of building a BBK on the budget side please look into this as an option. Not only are you going to be getting an amazing product but you are also supporting a local member here on the boards.

As for the break down this is my BBK as of now.

Ebay AMG W219 6 piston brakes $800
MLT Bracket $380
Racebrake seal kit $203
Powder coating $250
GiroDisk 380mm rotors $900
Hawk HPS 5.0 pads $160
Mercedes Bleed Valves $46
Wilwood Bleed Valves $15

Total cost just under $2600 USD

Here are some pics during install.

Last edited by Vedubin01; 11-05-2020 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 3
shimmy232330.00
exVtekGuy115.00
      11-01-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

thanks for sharing! did you have to shave about 3mm off the hub too?
      11-05-2020, 11:23 AM   #3
Vedubin01
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
thanks for sharing! did you have to shave about 3mm off the hub too?

Nope, no shaving of anything. Perfect fitment
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2020, 07:05 PM   #4
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

I hope Winston develops a rear brake option
      12-13-2020, 12:17 AM   #5
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

you can get a brand new stoptech st60 with pads and lines for $100 more and skip the hassle.
wootloops353.50
      10-15-2021, 07:03 PM   #6
rod.bearings
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Was your pedal soft before the abs bleed? Or what was the issue
Appreciate 0