BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

03-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
curveball99
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

"Pinging" noise coming from my TC Kline suspension

Last October, I had a TC Kline suspension installed and the performance improvements have been phenomenal. (Here's a link describing my upgrade:
http://www.vrperformance.com/mt/2010..._suspensi.html.) However, I live in the upper midwest and since early December, I've been getting consistent clicking/pinging noises from my front suspension whenever I turn my wheel. When I asked my tech about the pinging, his response was: "Yup, I've noticed the same on my M in the past. The front springs, when they're cold, don't twist around in their mounts as easily." 1) IS THIS NORMAL AND 2) WILL IT GO AWAY?!?

Last week, the temp finally hit 60 degrees, so I decided to take my E92 M3 for a spin. With the warmer temps, I thought perhaps the "pinging" sound would have decreased (or stopped altogether) but, unfortunately, it didn't. Any thoughts/reactions? Does it need to be above a certain temp for the pinging to go away? Everyone that rides with me always comments on it. It's rather annoying.

Also, does the TC Kline suspension typically ride more harsh in the winter? Either my local roads have gotten much worse, or the suspension rides much more harsh when it's frigid outside. We recently switched over to the softest setting which went a long way to address the harshness.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 08:53 PM   #2
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

Not sure how similar they are, but TCKs on Z4Ms were known to be noisy. The noise was mostly due to the konis I believe.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #3
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

I had a TCK suspension on an E46 M3. If the noise you describe is what I believe it to be, you can alleviate it, at least temporarily, by using a heavy grease on the top of the spring, where it seats against metal. I don't think there is a permanent cure, just one of the trade-offs for suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
curveball99
Private First Class
Rep

Since I didn't experience any pinging/creaking noises during the first 2 months, R U implying that this was because there was ample grease on the top of the springs? If so, what happened to the grease? Did the cold temps impact the performance of the grease, or perhaps the amount?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
m3heaven
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

This is normal with all coilovers sadly. This happened with all of my coilovers on my Evo X. However, when I got swift coilover springs the sound went away. Maybe because it has fewer coils. You should look and see if swift coilover springs can work on your suspension...they're the best springs anyways so it should be a worthwhile upgrade regardless.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

When my suspension was installed, no grease was used on spring metal/metal contact areas, and I would guess not on yours as well. The primary reason, as your question suggests, the grease is not going to remain effective long, since it is not a very accommodating environment for it. Some types of grease will work longer, and you might inquire at a machine shop about that. Basically, most coilover suspensions have some creaks and squeaks that are unavoidable, just like solid bushings. Almost everything you can do to improve the car on track involve a tradeoff for street use, most notably noise and limited life.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

I was complaining to my shop recently of the same thing and they suggested some sort of plate that sets between the spring and the housing to allow the spring to compress/decompress & rotate with less noise. I'll look for the paperwork they gave me tonight and include it in this post. I haven't tried it, but think it would likely help... a bit.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
curveball99
Private First Class
Rep

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by curveball99 View Post
Things are moving painfully slow in my world lately. (The TMS pulley kit delivered 3 weeks ago still isn't installed! ) I haven't forgotten this... just haven't had time to dig the paperwork out.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #10
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep

OK, here's the info they gave me. If you can't tell, I have NOT looked into this any further than keeping the printout they gave me. Which are for something called Thrust Sheets from SwiftSprings.com.

Description: "Thrust sheets provide a variety of benefits for coilover systems. As a spring becomes compressed the coils attempt to distribute the energy by unwinding. This is called twisted force. The unwinding makes the spring rate irregular. By allowing the spring to smoothly rotate around the perch during compression, the spring rate will return to normal. Thrust sheets also help dampening and rebound of struts too. Thrust sheets bearing action allowing rotation of the spring allow the load on the spring to be more evenly distributed which reduces lateral shock shaft load. Increased lateral load on shock shafts cause a reduction in the struts ability to rely on valves for dampening force.

Thrust sheets works with all brand of coilover system & springs as long as the inside diameter matches. Each kit comes with 4 composite rings and 4 stainless steel sheets that will cover 2 coilover springs.
" Inner diameters listed are 60mm, 65mm and 70mm.

Anyone else here heard of these and if they would "solve" for this "problem"? OP, have you called TC Kline?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 10:27 PM   #11
curveball99
Private First Class
Rep

Denver, U R right on target. I called TC Kline today. Erik there said the solution was these Thrust Sheets. He's going to email me a detailed description, which I will post when I get it. The parts only cost about $30, but 3 hours to install. Wish my tech had put them in to begin with! Anyone know how long these Thrust Sheets have been available??
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 11:35 PM   #12
rzm3
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Thrust sheets/needle bearings have been around for a while. Shouldn't take 3 hours, as you only need to drop the front struts w/o needing to fully unmount them.

http://performanceshock.com/torrington-bearings
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #13
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

We use thrust sheets where possible on all of our custom coilover kits. Here is why:

Thrust sheets provide a variety of benefits to coilover systems. As a spring becomes compressed the coils attempt to distribute the energy by unwinding. This is called twisted force. The unwinding makes the spring rate irregular. By allowing the spring to smoothly rotate around the perch during compression, the spring rate will return to normal. Thrust sheets also help dampening and rebound of struts too. Thrust sheet?s bearing action allowing the rotation of a spring allow the load on the spring to be more evenly Distributed which reduces lateral shock shaft load. Increased lateral load on shock shafts cause a reduction in the struts ability to rely on valves for dampening force.

Have look at this write up with a TEIN to Swift conversion using Swift springs and thrust sheets:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=thrust+sheets
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #14
curveball99
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks and kudos to all contributors! Yep - I contacted TC Kline and the tech there (Erik) said TCK started offering thrust plates earlier this year. A set of 4 sells for $25. M3post rocks!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #15
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by curveball99 View Post
Thanks and kudos to all contributors! Yep - I contacted TC Kline and the tech there (Erik) said TCK started offering thrust plates earlier this year. A set of 4 sells for $25. M3post rocks!
How well did the thrust sheets work out for you?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Thanks for the info, great things to know.
Did the thrust sheets help out a lot?
Appreciate 0