BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #45
Ink09
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT / 84 E30 318i

I just jumped on the FCP EURO train for my oil changes.. See how it goes on my next change!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 07:52 PM   #46
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XKxRome0ox View Post
it's possible that someone tries to game the system and return oil from not just one car but multiple cars that use the same oil and filter
how can FCP tell for sure? i have no idea
they probably can't
but if people started returning engine oil kits every month or 2, then FCP might put limitations on the policy
that'd screw it up for everyone

that's just one possibility i can think of
As mentioned above that's a lot of work. Not many people are willing to drain their old oil, pack it up, and drive it to the post office (and pay return shipping). Only the DIYers would be in for this anyway. I doubt my Indy Mechanic would be willing to fill up the old bottles...wouldn't even ask to be honest. Not for $80 of product.

I'm pretty sure FCP doesn't even run into this problem. Otherwise they'd more than likely have a policy where fluids couldn't be returned more than 2-3x per year for the same car.

For something like oil I just don't do it often enough to make a return worth it.

If it were something really hurting them it simply wouldn't be offered.
I have been changing around 3k to 5k Miles. With two DD that's a lot of oil changes. An oil change kit is $140 from FCP Euro. They pay shipping. I'm looking at 6 to 8 oil changes per year @$140 each. I'll bet if you told your Indy about FCP Euro they would be happy to put the oil back in the containers. Who doesn't like a savings?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 07:55 PM   #47
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincE92M3 View Post
Quote:
it's possible that someone tries to game the system and return oil from not just one car but multiple cars that use the same oil and filter
how can FCP tell for sure? i have no idea
they probably can't
but if people started returning engine oil kits every month or 2, then FCP might put limitations on the policy
that'd screw it up for everyone

that's just one possibility i can think of
That's a lot of work...

Personally, it feels kinda wrong to send back these sorts of consumable items like oil and filters.

Does anyone else feel this way? I can understand the warranty for sensors or other parts, but oil??

That being said, I had my TAs replaced under warranty but should they go out again, I will def buy replacements from FCP Euro!
Another option is Abdul. Less money on the rebuilds than the new units from FCP Euro and they offer lifetime on them as well.

https://www.mpowermotorsports.org/
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #48
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Another option is Abdul. Less money on the rebuilds than the new units from FCP Euro and they offer lifetime on them as well.

https://www.mpowermotorsports.org/
The best part is the actuators Abdul@mpowermotorsports provides are also upgraded MOSFETs and gears.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 07:56 AM   #49
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
I have been changing around 3k to 5k Miles. With two DD that's a lot of oil changes. An oil change kit is $140 from FCP Euro. They pay shipping. I'm looking at 6 to 8 oil changes per year @$140 each. I'll bet if you told your Indy about FCP Euro they would be happy to put the oil back in the containers. Who doesn't like a savings?
At those intervals with two cars I get it. I would do the same.

But in my case at 1 change per year (3-5k) I don't bother.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00
      07-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #50
DeafM5
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:
They bank on the majority of parts not failing again. Short of consumables many parts don't need replacing twice under the same owner (not a sure thing but hey, they are still in business)

I've used them for every part I've ever needed.

I heard the oil/fluid returns were supposedly stopping? Can anyone confirm or deny?
The fluids returns will continue like everything else sold at FCP Euro. I have confirmed with a friend of mine who is a catalog manager for BMW at FCP Euro (he also own an E92 M3).

Quote:
so you pay for one oil change kit and you can get parts for the oil change for life? (minus cost of shipping back)
i had heard of FCP's lifetime replacement but i figured it wouldn't apply to engine oil ...
wow

i guess it would apply to brake fluid just the same then?
Yes, It would apply to oil changes and Brake fluids. Over the years, the cost of maintaining my BMWs have went down significantly only because of their lifetime warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Yes, it's real, I've received credit back to my credit card for numerous items. I guess they spend less on advertisement and by you starting this thread, you are advertising for them.

How does it work? Let's use rotors and pads as an example, but every part should follow the same process.

1. You buy your first set of rotors and pads on order #1
2. When it's near time to change your rotors and pads again, you place another order for rotors and pads on order #2
3. You change your rotors and pads (remove the old ones from order #1 and replace them with new ones on order #2)
4. You box up the old rotors from order #1 and go online to start the return process for order #1. Important: To receive credit for order #1, you must have placed order #2 from them. You can't just send order #1 back to them and receive credit without placing order #2.
5. You ship order #1 (worn rotors and worn pads) back to them on your own dime. They will credit your credit card after they received and verified the parts.

How do they make money? I'm guessing some people forget or don't bother with step #2 to step #5.
Their business grew over 100% last year. It is amazing. Their cars and coffee meets always been impressive with amount of cars and customer base.
Appreciate 1
XKxRome0ox1587.50
      07-11-2018, 10:19 AM   #51
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafM5 View Post
The fluids returns will continue like everything else sold at FCP Euro. I have confirmed with a friend of mine who is a catalog manager for BMW at FCP Euro (he also own an E92 M3).
Ok thanks, good to know.

I only asked because I came across a post on M5Board that said that.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 12:47 AM   #52
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeafM5 View Post
Quote:
They bank on the majority of parts not failing again. Short of consumables many parts don't need replacing twice under the same owner (not a sure thing but hey, they are still in business)

I've used them for every part I've ever needed.

I heard the oil/fluid returns were supposedly stopping? Can anyone confirm or deny?

Quote:
so you pay for one oil change kit and you can get parts for the oil change for life? (minus cost of shipping back)
i had heard of FCP's lifetime replacement but i figured it wouldn't apply to engine oil ...
wow

i guess it would apply to brake fluid just the same then?
Yes, It would apply to oil changes and Brake fluids. Over the years, the cost of maintaining my BMWs have went down significantly only because of their lifetime warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Yes, it's real, I've received credit back to my credit card for numerous items. I guess they spend less on advertisement and by you starting this thread, you are advertising for them.

How does it work? Let's use rotors and pads as an example, but every part should follow the same process.

1. You buy your first set of rotors and pads on order #1
2. When it's near time to change your rotors and pads again, you place another order for rotors and pads on order #2
3. You change your rotors and pads (remove the old ones from order #1 and replace them with new ones on order #2)
4. You box up the old rotors from order #1 and go online to start the return process for order #1. Important: To receive credit for order #1, you must have placed order #2 from them. You can't just send order #1 back to them and receive credit without placing order #2.
5. You ship order #1 (worn rotors and worn pads) back to them on your own dime. They will credit your credit card after they received and verified the parts.

How do they make money? I'm guessing some people forget or don't bother with step #2 to step #5.
Their business grew over 100% last year. It is amazing. Their cars and coffee meets always been impressive with amount of cars and customer base.
Reducing maintenance costs is my end goal so I can spend it on consumables they don't offer like tires and track pads. Every maintenance item makes sense since I'm normally going to be returning parts in the same box as order #2. The hardest part is finding a correct box size to ship and that's already taken care of.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34450.00
      07-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #53
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thank you FCP Euro
I just realized, are you guys a vendor on here? If so please contact me as I have a question for you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 12:26 AM   #54
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

I'm sure they did an in depth statistical analysis before implementing this business model. Like many have said most of the parts aren't consumables and probably won't need to be changed again during the lifetime of the car.

Also a lot of the "consumables" are at ~30-50k intervals so there's a real possibility the owner would have sold their car before needing to replace the item again.

Their prices are actually really competitive vs the other big online retailers. Sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. If there's a decent chance I might ever need to get the part replaced again, I'll get it from FCP even if it's a decent amount more expensive vs other stores.

As for the oil, you can fit 7qts + oil filter into a large USPS flat rate priority mail box. The shipping cost is around 18 bucks. Paying 18 bucks for 7qts of liquimoly and a OEM filter is a crazy deal.

Usually I'll just throw all the old parts into a box and wait until it gets full and then return everything at the same time.
      07-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #55
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
I'm sure they did an in depth statistical analysis before implementing this business model. Like many have said most of the parts aren't consumables and probably won't need to be changed again during the lifetime of the car.

Also a lot of the "consumables" are at ~30-50k intervals so there's a real possibility the owner would have sold their car before needing to replace the item again.

Their prices are actually really competitive vs the other big online retailers. Sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. If there's a decent chance I might ever need to get the part replaced again, I'll get it from FCP even if it's a decent amount more expensive vs other stores.

As for the oil, you can fit 7qts + oil filter into a large USPS flat rate priority mail box. The shipping cost is around 18 bucks. Paying 18 bucks for 7qts of liquimoly and a OEM filter is a crazy deal.

Usually I'll just throw all the old parts into a box and wait until it gets full and then return everything at the same time.
Bingo. They make their money through the marketing campaign of free parts for life. I don't work there, so I have no actual knowledge of this, but I have to imagine that the amount of items not returned far outweighs what is in fact returned. As stated on here, they're business has DOUBLED with their recent push on the market with the attraction being free stuff for life. The vast majority of cars exchange hands frequently outside of the enthusiast sector with the "lifetime cars" primarily being with the enthusiast..........which typically have as a second car with limited mileage.

So the car is either sold by the time the part is due for replacement, encounters low mileage where the change-outs are infrequent, or a small percentage of their clients actually drives frequently with a car that is kept for a long period of time.

I think it's a fantastic idea and has "stolen" a lot of competitors' business as a result. It's a modern era $0.99!
Appreciate 2
derbo3601.00
      07-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #56
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Bingo. They make their money through the marketing campaign of free parts for life. I don't work there, so I have no actual knowledge of this, but I have to imagine that the amount of items not returned far outweighs what is in fact returned. As stated on here, they're business has DOUBLED with their recent push on the market with the attraction being free stuff for life. The vast majority of cars exchange hands frequently outside of the enthusiast sector with the "lifetime cars" primarily being with the enthusiast..........which typically have as a second car with limited mileage.

So the car is either sold by the time the part is due for replacement, encounters low mileage where the change-outs are infrequent, or a small percentage of their clients actually drives frequently with a car that is kept for a long period of time.

I think it's a fantastic idea and has "stolen" a lot of competitors' business as a result. It's a modern era $0.99!
I'd have to say I'm a recent convert. Albeit haven't used their warranty just yet.

Previously was getting my OEM parts through Tischer, ECS, etc. FCP has been around, but their pricing wasn't as competitive before, it seems they've really made a push to adjust their pricing. Lowered pricing and a lifetime warranty almost makes it a no-brainer at this point.

dreamspeed Hadn't thought about using a large flat-rate USPS for oil and filter. Ingenious! Have you tested the fitment?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #57
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for the insight. I forgot about USPS's flat rate. USPS boxes are free on their site and you can stock up on a few for this very reason!

https://store.usps.com/store/results...questid=156977
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2018, 11:38 PM   #58
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincE92M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post

I'd have to say I'm a recent convert. Albeit haven't used their warranty just yet.

Previously was getting my OEM parts through Tischer, ECS, etc. FCP has been around, but their pricing wasn't as competitive before, it seems they've really made a push to adjust their pricing. Lowered pricing and a lifetime warranty almost makes it a no-brainer at this point.

dreamspeed Hadn't thought about using a large flat-rate USPS for oil and filter. Ingenious! Have you tested the fitment?
Here are the photos I posted another similar thread. You can fit a 5qt jug diagonally and then 2x 1qt jugs and a filter. This is for my X3 which uses 7qt.

I use M1 0-40 for my M3 so I never had to ship 9qts back. I specifically asked FCP if I had to ship the oil back in the original containers and they said no, you can ship them back in any "secure container" so maybe you can work with that somehow.

If you are returning the OEM BMW oil that's like 12-14 bucks a quart... I guess even if you had to use 2x priority mail boxes that would still be an awesome 40 dollar oil change vs the regular price of 120-140[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

07-14-2018, 12:41 AM   #59
VaderM3
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Smile

They make money because everyone buys from them instead of ECS or other vendors knowing the parts are fully warrantied for life, not to mention a majority of people probably never have to use the warranty option unless its a wear and tear item!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 02:15 AM   #60
Ink09
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT / 84 E30 318i

Quote:
Here are the photos I posted another similar thread. You can fit a 5qt jug diagonally and then 2x 1qt jugs and a filter. This is for my X3 which uses 7qt.

I use M1 0-40 for my M3 so I never had to ship 9qts back. I specifically asked FCP if I had to ship the oil back in the original containers and they said no, you can ship them back in any "secure container" so maybe you can work with that somehow.

If you are returning the OEM BMW oil that's like 12-14 bucks a quart... I guess even if you had to use 2x priority mail boxes that would still be an awesome 40 dollar oil change vs the regular price of 120-140[IMG][/IMG]
Good to know you don't have to use original containers to ship the oil back, trying to fill 9x1qt bottles could get messy..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 11:36 PM   #61
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Just ordered air filter and cabin filter from them without even realizing this was possible. I was just happy it arrived in 2 days and I chose the cheapest shipping. This will work great since I planned on getting everything from them anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #62
GotV8?
Captain
Rep
Drives: Jerez E92 M3 ZCP "12"

Garage List
I purchased both Throttle Body Actuators from FCP last year so when I do purchase another set in the near future, I will be able to take advantage of warranty exchange process...so the amount I paid on original order is on file with my account with them....its All a matter of time and mileage...so hopefully in the next 3-4 years when its time to replace them...its Already covered...imo...its worth it for long term ownership. Keeping my E9x M indefinitely.
Appreciate 2
BOOF-M34450.00
vincE92M3564.00
      08-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #63
Tewie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP Melbourne/FoxRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPe90M3 View Post
Thats where I get all parts for my daily. They would even take used oil back. Haha.
Have you sent back used oil for replacement???
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #64
BPe90M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 AW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewie View Post
Quote:
Thats where I get all parts for my daily. They would even take used oil back. Haha.
No. Not worth the effort, but They would take it back if you sent it.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #65
Tewie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP Melbourne/FoxRed

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tewie View Post
Quote:
No. Not worth the effort, but They would take it back if you sent it.
That is hilarious. I agree sending old oil back would be more of a pain than it is worth. For brakes, plugs, etc, can't beat that deal!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #66
nydog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswy6 View Post
Quote:
But how do they make money? I mean, do any of track guys take advantage of this? Free rotors seems to be too good to be true lol

I've used their lifetime warranty twice for an oil change kit for my M3. I too initially tried to understand how they make money with their lifetime warranty. I ultimately decided that I should not care about how they make money. I'm not the owner or partner of the company so it shouldn't and doesn't matter to me. I suggest you do the same.

They have testimonials of customers returning parts of substantial cost, so I would say take advantage of the benefit they offer.