BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

06-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
rheistand37
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Should I M3????

Hi all,
new to the site, although I have been reading from it for some time.
Ill be getting a new car soon and an 09 M3 is on my short list.

Frankly though, I have one issue. An issue that I am sure has been discussed here before... Is it fast enough? I have owned both a two and four door 335i with jb3 and if the M3(with xpipe,tune,exhaust) is at least as fast as the 2door jb3 with manual Im prob sold. If anyone has insight into this I would appreciate it. With those standard mods, does the m3 "feel" as fast as the jb3 335i and is it actually. Obviously it lacks torque.

I am a former racing driver..champcar atlantic, indy lights etc. and like to slide my car around. My other options are a 08-09 ZO6 and maybe an 08 GTR. Both faster cars for sure but both have there own issues. The zo6 lacks class and interior and the nissans not far behind.. and ones a nissan and the others a chevrolet. Plus the 08 gtr is a maintenance nightmare I hear?

In other words when Im not having fun in it as a dd, I still need to take a girl on a date, go to work etc. Although comfort on a daly basis is not my issue with any, I do believe the M3 wins out in classiness and perhaps even curb appeal. I know it handles great, but is it fast enough?( I later clarify what constitutes whats fast enough means for me)

LOOK FELLAS< I HAVE EDITED THIS BECAUSE SOME OF THE RESPONSES I AM GETTING ARE RIDICULOUS. Telling me I don't deserve an M3, going on some long ti-raid about 335 reliability, and other nonsense. Please allow me to clarify a couple of things.
1. I could give two $%^#@ about a 335i including the one I drive. I have it cause I got it cheap at the auction. I have the chip cause a buddy told be I could make it a little more fun cheap.
2. I am not attempting to bash the M3. Its a beautiful car. It sounds amazing, especially with exhaust. after all I am looking to upgrade.
3. everyone seems to be fixated on nonsense so I'll put the question no one has answered in a later post up here. Does the M3 with xpipe, tune, and exhaust have similar pace to a otherwise stock jb3 335i. No downpipe, meth, or any other crap. I only ask because THAT is what I have driven and THAT is what I could compare it to. I would think it would if xpipe and chip claims are true, 440-450 horse power should be enough.
4. I am not very experienced at posting on forums but if I asked you these questions in person, would you respond in such a way? Be cool guys, Im not trying to insult anyone. For those who were thanks. I do appreciate any input!

Thoughts?

Last edited by rheistand37; 06-18-2011 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

IMO a tuned 335i will be quicker than an M3 - straight line - with aggressive mods, particularly at altitude.

But that's not what M is about, we all should know this by now!
      06-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
JoLo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ///2011.5 ///E90 ///AW ///ZCP

Well if your not concerned about practicality id go with the z06. But if you are the m3 is a great car. And idk how it feels compared to the 335 you mentioned, but i will tell you that whatever you do to a 335 the experience will still never match the marvelous v8 revving to 8400 as it does in the M3. No matter how insane the GTR is performance wise its just bland to drive, doesnt sound nice and will alway s be a nissan. IDK why ppl drool over them so much excect for the performance.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
rheistand37
Enlisted Member
Rep

^^4 wheel drive, quiet, blazay.. those were other issues I had with the GTR
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 11:25 AM   #5
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

I own both m3 and 335i with jb3 , 335i is way faster then m3.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
bsiciliano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
I own both m3 and 335i with jb3 , 335i is way faster then m3.
Which one do you prefer to drive?
OE Tuning/Gruppe M Intake/ACS Springs/Vorsteiner CF Type I Rear Diffuser/Textured Matte Black Custom Powdercoated OEM 359s/Painted Reflectors/Matte Grille, Hood Vents and Side Markers/Arqray Race Exhaust/MS Pulley
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 12:31 PM   #7
FVM3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsiciliano View Post
Which one do you prefer to drive?
Based on what you want. in the corners m3 is better but if you are a drag guy , go for 335i with catless down pipe , intercooler, meth and jb3 then you are all set.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #8
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

This 335 or M3 talk kills me. It's so simple it's ridiculous.

A 335 does not have ALL the components needed to perform like an M3 over and over and over and over without giving you any issues and/or wearing and tearing other components.

I don't care how fast your 335 is in a straight line. The vehicle, and all of it's components, are not meant to do what people are making it do. Yes yes yes... Take me from a red light, kill me on straight run, makes no difference, you are steroiding up a mule to run in a derby. It's gonna kick ass a few times but for how long?

Hows that HPFP holding up for you guys?

Every really tuned 335 guy I talk to in person tells me how fast it is with this tune, that bolt on, etc... I ask them one question... "for how long?" They always laugh, admit they have had issues of one kind or another or understand that they will be having issues.

Here's something to chew on... I have 40,xxx miles on my 2008 M3. I drive it like a maniac day in, day out. I do at least 2 canyon runs a week, and as many track days a year as I can. I have had no issues. NONE.

How many highly tuned 335 guys have had their cars highly tuned for 3 years and beat it up like I do with no issues? 3 years, 40k miles, daily driver, canyons, track, Vegas to LA long drives, you name it. NO ISSUES.

BTW, my warranty is still fully in place and covers anything I need.

I don't see how this is still being talked about.

PS- I am NOT pissing on 335s. I had a E92 335 4 years ago and loved it. It's an AMAZING car in so many ways. But please... It's embarrassing for BMW drivers, BMW itself, and car enthusiasts in general when this topic is discussed to no end. It truly insults people's intelligence.

Last edited by 3XTR3M3; 06-18-2011 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
FVM3
Major General
Rep

I just love the look of m3 and the exhaust note with the meisterschaft gt2
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post

PS- I am NOT pissing on 335s. I had a E92 335 4 years ago and loved it. It's an AMAZING car in so many ways. But please... It's embarrassing for BMW drivers, BMW itself, and car enthusiasts in general when this topic is discussed to no end. It truly insults people's intelligence.

The man has spoken. Personally, I always have respect for a JB'd 335, shits fast
      06-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
fastrack
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11 MW e92 M3

Garage List
2021 M2c  [0.00]
How fast do you need to go??? I don't understand all this talk about this car is faster then this one. most of the cars we compare are within less then 1 sec in a 0 to 60, how often do you do that driving in town? If you're racing on a track i guess that's important, but most of us aren't anyway. I was worry about the M3 not "feeling" fast enough coming from u tuned 335. But the M3 is so much more and until u drive one...

Mineral White + HRE + Brembo + Eisenmann + Challenge = Perfection
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 02:33 PM   #12
FVM3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrack View Post
How fast do you need to go??? I don't understand all this talk about this car is faster then this one. most of the cars we compare are within less then 1 sec in a 0 to 60, how often do you do that driving in town? If you're racing on a track i guess that's important, but most of us aren't anyway. I was worry about the M3 not "feeling" fast enough coming from u tuned 335. But the M3 is so much more and until u drive one...
I know what you are talk about but the feeling is a big difference , just like 328 and 335i, their 0-60 times difference is about 1 sec but the sluggish feel is obvious after driving 335i
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #13
rheistand37
Enlisted Member
Rep

A few things as far as I am concerned:
I don’t care about 0-60 times. Much of what achieves that is irrelevant, gearing, sticky tires etc.

What matters to me is how the car pulls outa 2nd or 3rd and subsequently shifting through a couple gears after tracking out of a street corner.

I clearly see the handling of the M3 and the noise of the v8 as a massive plus over the 335i, in fact they aren’t even in the same league, otherwise I wouldn’t consider spending more money for a car that has similar acceleration capabilities.

That being said I don’t like risking my inevitable reckless driving ticket on something that doesn’t really nock my socks off or try and buck me every now and then.

Forget the downpipe and meth etc.. Just a jb3 on map 7 in an otherwise stock car is acceptably fast. If the m3 with tune xpipe and exhaust (which I would really look forward to doing) can’t keep up I’m afraid, at least for me, no matter how good everything else is, it wouldn’t be fast enough.
Which goes back to my original post.. is this the case? People are getting 440-450 out of the m3 are they not? If the exhaust and chip claims are close to true then that should be enough to keep pace with the 400 hp and 400 torque 335i jb3 shouldnt it?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 03:22 PM   #14
kaykay
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
M3 is a piece of shit, don't get it

'08 550i M-Sport, Carbon Black (Gone but not forgotten), '06 W211 E55 AMG (Gone, miss this animal),'01 E39 540i Sport
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheistand37 View Post
Hi all,

Frankly though, I have one issue. An issue that I am sure has been discussed here before... Is it fast enough? I have owned both a two and four door 335i with jb3 and if the M3(with xpipe,tune,exhaust) is at least as fast as the 2door jb3 with manual Im prob sold. If anyone has insight into this I would appreciate it. With those standard mods, does the m3 "feel" as fast as the jb3 335i and is it actually. Obviously it lacks torque.

I am a former racing driver..champcar atlantic, indy lights etc. and like to slide my car around. My other options are a 08-09 ZO6 and maybe an 08 GTR. Both faster cars for sure but both have there own issues. The zo6 lacks class and interior and the nissans not far behind.. and ones a nissan and the others a chevrolet. Plus the 08 gtr is a maintenance nightmare I hear?

In other words when Im not having fun in it as a dd, I still need to take a girl on a date, go to work etc. Although comfort on a daly basis is not my issue with any, I do believe the M3 wins out in classiness and perhaps even curb appeal. I know it handles great, but is the damn thing fast enough?!

Thoughts?
It does not feel very fast to me. The magazine times reported suggest that the feel is deceptive. There is no big rush of torque like with the tuned 335i that makes the car feel fast. Rather, the torque is decent but the curve flat and it lasts for a long time. You need to rev it pretty high, but it loves to do that.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #16
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
I don't care how fast your 335 is in a straight line. The vehicle, and all of it's components, are not meant to do what people are making it do. Yes yes yes... Take me from a red light, kill me on straight run, makes no difference, you are steroiding up a mule to run in a derby. It's gonna kick ass a few times but for how long?
Yikes, never visit a Subaru board or you will lose your mind.

There is some strange underlying notion on those Subaru forums as well as here now, that the factory just randomly decided not to give the car more power. Don't you think there are engineers who went "hmm well we could squeeze more power out of it--nah let's not do that. No reason." Even BMW's tune is what... 20 something hp? That's all that's safely available on the N54!! Just because you can tune your turbo easily DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD!

This is precisely why I will not buy a use turbocharged vehicle, especially N54 based cars. We haven't even really seen proven long term reliability on the stock tune, nevermind JB3 or otherwise.

I'll take M3, and warranty, and proven durability and performance. Thanks and good luck with your tune (AKA fooling around with your engine in ways the factory did not intend).
      06-18-2011, 07:48 PM   #17
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
This 335 or M3 talk kills me. It's so simple it's ridiculous.

A 335 does not have ALL the components needed to perform like an M3 over and over and over and over without giving you any issues and/or wearing and tearing other components.

Every really tuned 335 guy I talk to in person tells me how fast it is with this tune, that bolt on, etc... I ask them one question... "for how long?" They always laugh, admit they have had issues of one kind or another or understand that they will be having issues.

Here's something to chew on... I have 40,xxx miles on my 2008 M3. I drive it like a maniac day in, day out. I do at least 2 canyon runs a week, and as many track days a year as I can. I have had no issues. NONE.

How many highly tuned 335 guys have had their cars highly tuned for 3 years and beat it up like I do with no issues? 3 years, 40k miles, daily driver, canyons, track, Vegas to LA long drives, you name it. NO ISSUES.

BTW, my warranty is still fully in place and covers anything I need.

This post should be copied and pasted to any 335 vs M3 thread.
      06-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #18
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
I say with your attitude, stick with that you know and happy with, problem is you hang around the wrong forum to make us feel bad with what you know.

You don't deserve an M3 Go Play in another Sand Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheistand37 View Post
Hi all,

In other words when Im not having fun in it as a dd, I still need to take a girl on a date, go to work etc. Although comfort on a daly basis is not my issue with any, I do believe the M3 wins out in classiness and perhaps even curb appeal. I know it handles great, but is the damn thing fast enough?!

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #19
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

Save up cash for another year and get a Ferrari F430 or Porsche GT3 if you really want fast.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 09:35 PM   #20
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
So you are a former race car driver and you ask this question? Yes, it's fast enough. If it isn't fast enough for you out of the box start adding things... x-pipe, 4:10 diff, etc...

Seriously, how fast does it have to be as a daily driver? Get a track car to get your speed kicks, although the M3 is a wonderful weekend tracker.
I'm guessing about 2 speeding tickets a week fast
      06-18-2011, 09:45 PM   #21
rheistand37
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinIsRich08 View Post
Save up cash for another year and get a Ferrari F430 or Porsche GT3 if you really want fast.
How about a Clk Black Series.. That way I can walk around quoting game of thrones, telling everyone Ive "taken the black" haha
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2011, 11:02 PM   #22
haze gray
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 Coupe / 2011 X5

This was a fun post. So glad to realize it wasn't serious. Anyway, stick to the modded whatever. Continue to ridicule the many flaws of the M3. M3's are all hype, there is a huge conspiarcy to keep the M3 out of the hands of the undeserving. You would be exactly the person in mind.
Appreciate 0