BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Parts

Mporium BMW

05-05-2021, 07:48 PM   #1
GearKid
Private
Rep
Drives: S2000, Subaru STI, Tacoma or

FS S65 motor

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
Sold

Item Interest
I've got an S65 that's in need of a new con rod. Block, crank and heads are good. Motor was in running condition when the rod was stripped during an RB replacement.

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 09:18 PM   #2
MilehighM3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Harrop E90 M3

Garage List
2009 E90 M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearKid View Post
I've got an S65 that's in need of a new con rod. Block, crank and heads are good. Motor was in running condition when the rod was stripped during an RB replacement.
What are you asking for the engine? I don't see the price listed in mobile.
TIA
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 07:18 AM   #3
GearKid
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehighM3 View Post
Quote:
What are you asking for the engine? I don't see the price listed in mobile.
TIA
Not a problem. I've listed a price based on some other examples.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2021, 11:37 PM   #4
marco44
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

you can buy a perfectly working 50k mile s65 for 6-7k
Appreciate 1
Move Over1256.50
      05-10-2021, 02:30 AM   #5
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Is this the motor that was discussed on the forum where the shop replacing the rod bearings stripped out the rod bolt and claimed it was done by a previous repair?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:44 PM   #6
GearKid
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
Is this the motor that was discussed on the forum where the shop replacing the rod bearings stripped out the rod bolt and claimed it was done by a previous repair?
Yes...that's the story anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 08:47 PM   #7
GearKid
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco44 View Post
you can buy a perfectly working 50k mile s65 for 6-7k
Probably true, but I'm simply going by what I saw available. If you're interested simply make an offer.
Appreciate 1
      05-11-2021, 02:37 PM   #8
GearKid
Private
Rep

Quote:
In the interest of unloading this I've lowered the price. I'm open to any reasonable offer, so PM me if there's interest.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2021, 07:24 PM   #9
GearKid
Private
Rep

Quote:
Price reduced.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2021, 12:20 PM   #10
tbuck
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2016 F23 M235i

mileage on the engine?? I read the other post but don't recall the details.
      05-13-2021, 11:56 PM   #11
GearKid
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbuck View Post
mileage on the engine?? I read the other post but don't recall the details.
There's 78k on the motor. Here are some pics of the original rod bearings. These have been re-installed but the #8 rod has not been tightened to spec.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 07:28 AM   #12
tbuck
Captain
Rep

Thanks for that info. So is the engine out already? The problem with this engine is that you now have to do a full rebuild, even though the bearing did not spin. Full rebuild kits are not cheap sadly, not to mention the cost of labor, and so the value of this goes down a bunch as already mentioned.

I take it that you would not be comfortable doing the rebuild yourself? From what I recall it just needed the rod replaced and would be good to go. You would then be able to recover far more from the sale since it would be a good engine.

Anyway, good luck. I cringed when I read your story, I know everyone did. I hope this all turns out well for you. GLWS
      05-14-2021, 11:20 AM   #13
GearKid
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for that info. So is the engine out already? The problem with this engine is that you now have to do a full rebuild, even though the bearing did not spin. Full rebuild kits are not cheap sadly, not to mention the cost of labor, and so the value of this goes down a bunch as already mentioned.

I take it that you would not be comfortable doing the rebuild yourself? From what I recall it just needed the rod replaced and would be good to go. You would then be able to recover far more from the sale since it would be a good engine.

Anyway, good luck. I cringed when I read your story, I know everyone did. I hope this all turns out well for you. GLWS
Thanks for the reply. I agree with your perspective. After considering all options, it's far more cost effective to buy a used running motor rather than attempt a rebuild of this one. I'm not familiar enough with the rebuild logistics to know how involved it would be to just replace that one bad rod. Any other motor would just need the head pulled and bolt in a new rod. I've heard this motor is more temperamental and requires some experience specific to the S65.
That brought me to the first alternative, which is to use it as a core for a stroker. Carbahn was my first thought. They can do the stroker of course but also the 4.2L which utilizes the original crank. It's a bit less fussy. These guys charge an $8k core fee if you don't bring your own motor to them, so this example is about as perfect as it gets. It needs a rebuild but the block etc is still good. It's not running so it needs disassembly but why build it back to stock when you could just buy a used stock example. The Carbhan 4.2L is about as close in quality and reliability as the new BMW factory ones, so it's a reasonable path to take. After much thought I ended up going with the BMW option since it's a little cheaper.
I realize there's a limited market for this motor, but it has potential to be something great for those with the money to invest. At half the cost of the Carbhan core fee, it's a great opportunity to pull that trigger and save a little money.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2021, 02:02 PM   #14
tbuck
Captain
Rep

All engines have little things you need to know about or special tools required during a rebuild, but this one is not as complex as newer engines. Basics are still basics and all of what you would need is online anyway. And yes, it would still require removing the head and taking out that one piston and replacing the rod. Not as simple as that, really, but basically you could leave it at that if no additional damage was found. Personally I would go ahead and take it all the way down and replace all gaskets and seals and bearings, I mean you are already in there. It is a ton of work, but since your bearings didn't grenade its far better than it could be.

Anyway, I wish you luck!
      05-15-2021, 12:45 AM   #15
GearKid
Private
Rep

Quote:
All engines have little things you need to know about or special tools required during a rebuild, but this one is not as complex as newer engines. Basics are still basics and all of what you would need is online anyway. And yes, it would still require removing the head and taking out that one piston and replacing the rod. Not as simple as that, really, but basically you could leave it at that if no additional damage was found. Personally I would go ahead and take it all the way down and replace all gaskets and seals and bearings, I mean you are already in there. It is a ton of work, but since your bearings didn't grenade its far better than it could be.

Anyway, I wish you luck!
Replacing all gaskets/seals would be my choice as well. Pull the heads and replace valve seals etc to restore all critical components. If I had the space I would do it but I don't. As such I'm putting it up for sale. As I see it, there are very few opportunities where a non- running motor shows up that didn't suffer a spun bearing. Those are very high risk in comparison to this one. There's no risk of a cracked block or bearing fragments spread throughout every oil passage. However, a tear down is unavoidable, so it ultimately limits the market.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 08:37 PM   #16
Poverty_E92
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3

PM'd!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 02:11 PM   #17
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

good base engine for a stroker set up. highly recommend going this route while your current engine is still in your car
Appreciate 0