BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

BPM

10-30-2022, 03:25 PM   #67
Hivand_M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Hey Barney, do you know if you are able to move the system higher up (get the muffler tips closer to the bumper) or is there no adjustment that way?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2022, 04:07 PM   #68
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivand_M View Post
Hey Barney, do you know if you are able to move the system higher up (get the muffler tips closer to the bumper) or is there no adjustment that way?
No adjustment that way and the muffler touches the heat shield so there is no room to move it up. Here a straight on pic of the gap. I think it looks good but ymmv.
Attached Images

10-30-2022, 04:10 PM   #69
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

So while waiting for my quickjack to arrive, I figured I'll take an hour or so to see if I can get the controller wired up. Turns out getting to the fuse panel from inside the engine bay is trickier than I expected.

I found a way in but it's not really viable for what we're trying to do here. Especially with how short the power wires are on the controller..

Appreciate 1
Ajolives922.00
      10-30-2022, 04:52 PM   #70
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep

Just noticed the IPE exhaust install manual has you going in through the drivers side. Will try that next go round, was super fixated on trying to figure out a way in through the passenger side :/
Appreciate 1
Ajolives922.00
      10-30-2022, 05:10 PM   #71
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

So I was planning to do the engine vacuum tap but same issue as brake booster, the vacuum hose is much larger (I think 5/16") so the brass tee provided won't work. I really like the suggesting of running a separate vacuum pump to isolate the exhaust system from brake or engine systems in case there's a failure. I saw a thread from another member who had this issue and was chasing fault codes.

So, I too will wire in a separate vacuum pump and do the mounting in the trunk area since I have a few spaces that are currently available. I'll do some research and report back with photos of my install.
      10-30-2022, 06:07 PM   #72
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep

I think I'll wait and see what you two come up with before moving forward. There's some good points to wiring in a separate vacuum pump.
Appreciate 2
      10-30-2022, 07:59 PM   #73
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yeah I'll share what I do as well and make sure to take plenty of pictures. The controller has plenty of line to run to the solenoid in the trunk so I'm probably gonna mount that under the kick panel near the fuse box just to make sure the clicker has range. Also read in the instructions there's a possibility we can program this into the garage door openers on the rear view. Definitely gonna test that out.
Appreciate 2
      10-31-2022, 06:10 AM   #74
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagob5 View Post
Just noticed the IPE exhaust install manual has you going in through the drivers side. Will try that next go round, was super fixated on trying to figure out a way in through the passenger side :/
since you already got it on the passenger side just stick it under the carpet by the end of the door and run it to the back of the car, the plastic kick covers pipe right out. dont take out the b pillar trim just feed it through the space.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1
chicagob5256.50
      11-01-2022, 09:18 PM   #75
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
These cars don't have a stock valve system in the exhaust like the 335i did right?

Planning to do this install in a few days, and when I did the valved exhaust on my 335i, I just tapped into the vacuum line from the stock exhaust valve and then used the 12V from the trunk area.

Trying to brainstorm what vacuum source I plan to use now. Would like to keep all components in the trunk under the floor if possible instead of the engine bay.
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2022, 11:32 PM   #76
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
So I was planning to do the engine vacuum tap but same issue as brake booster, the vacuum hose is much larger (I think 5/16") so the brass tee provided won't work. I really like the suggesting of running a separate vacuum pump to isolate the exhaust system from brake or engine systems in case there's a failure. I saw a thread from another member who had this issue and was chasing fault codes.

So, I too will wire in a separate vacuum pump and do the mounting in the trunk area since I have a few spaces that are currently available. I'll do some research and report back with photos of my install.
Alright well I'm back to the engine vacuum, following the original instructions. Just need to get the correct size Tee because the one provided isn't correct for tapping into the engine vacuum line. I haven't spent much time on this step because I've been enjoying the valve closed noise levels.

I came to this conclusion after reading up about numerous supercharger installs, and Valvetronic exhaust installs. I feel better about the reliability of this method. The brake booster still makes me uncomfortable, but engine as vacuum source seems fine.

Should have install wrapped up this week and will report back.
Soden82477.00
      11-02-2022, 07:33 AM   #77
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post
Alright well I'm back to the engine vacuum, following the original instructions. Just need to get the correct size Tee because the one provided isn't correct for tapping into the engine vacuum line. I haven't spent much time on this step because I've been enjoying the valve closed noise levels.

I came to this conclusion after reading up about numerous supercharger installs, and Valvetronic exhaust installs. I feel better about the reliability of this method. The brake booster still makes me uncomfortable, but engine as vacuum source seems fine.

Should have install wrapped up this week and will report back.
I've been going back and fourth on what I want to do while I wait to see what Ajolives comes up with. Started down the rabbit hole for a dedicated vacuum pump however haven't really found any good solution that isnt a couple hundred dollars, which I dont want to spend on this.

I've even thought about just capping off the actuator nipples and just running the exhaust with valves closed for now and see how happy I am with that however it would be nice to have the option to turn them on.

I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Ex...s%2C181&sr=8-4

Thought about trying that and just return it if I dont like it, I can cut the cigarette adapter off and just hardwire the box to a 12v and ground.

For now, I ordered another OEM fuel breather hose (13907838439) since I wasnt able to find a ID of the hose online and will use that try and come up with a T fitting that uses the correct ID for each vacuum line and see how well that works. Figure if I have issues, I can swap the unmodified one back quickly and go from there. If I like the dedicated vacuum pump solution then I will switch over to that. Cars put away for winter here in the midwest so I got nothing but time.

Quickjack should be here this weekend I think, should hopefully be able to start on getting this installed.

Last edited by chicagob5; 11-02-2022 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2022, 09:56 AM   #78
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
I've been going back and fourth on what I want to do while I wait to see what Ajolives comes up with. Started down the rabbit hole for a dedicated vacuum pump however haven't really found any good solution that isnt a couple hundred dollars, which I dont want to spend on this.

I've even thought about just capping off the actuator nipples and just running the exhaust with valves closed for now and see how happy I am with that however it would be nice to have the option to turn them on.

I found this: https://www.amazon.com/Controller-Ex...s%2C181&sr=8-4

Thought about trying that and just return it if I dont like it, I can cut the cigarette adapter off and just hardwire the box to a 12v and ground.

For now, I ordered another OEM fuel breather hose (13907838439) since I wasnt able to find a ID of the hose online and will use that try and come up with a T fitting that uses the correct ID for each vacuum line and see how well that works. Figure if I have issues, I can swap the unmodified one back quickly and go from there. If I like the dedicated vacuum pump solution then I will switch over to that. Cars put away for winter here in the midwest so I got nothing but time.

Quickjack should be here this weekend I think, should hopefully be able to start on getting this installed.
The amazon vacuum box should work perfectly fine. This looks like the one that comes with the alibaba valved exhausts. I've been running mine for over a year and it's been working perfectly fine! It's definitely a lot easier than tapping into the plenum for vacuum imo. This is probably the route I'd go with when I switch over to the turner exhaust.

Also I have vacuum box located under the trunk in that little storage area. There's a rubber grommet/plug by the battery that will allow you to run the vacuum line from inside to outside easily. Just need to cut that plug and feed the vacuum line through.
chicagob5256.50
      11-02-2022, 10:19 AM   #79
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senpai View Post
The amazon vacuum box should work perfectly fine. This looks like the one that comes with the alibaba valved exhausts. I've been running mine for over a year and it's been working perfectly fine! It's definitely a lot easier than tapping into the plenum for vacuum imo. This is probably the route I'd go with when I switch over to the turner exhaust.

Also I have vacuum box located under the trunk in that little storage area. There's a rubber grommet/plug by the battery that will allow you to run the vacuum line from inside to outside easily. Just need to cut that plug and feed the vacuum line through.
Really appreciate that feedback - I ordered one and will be here friday. I'll try and get some time Friday to crudely connect everything up and see if it works. Worst case, sometime this weekend.

FYI - these things are like half the price on Alibaba.com. I just ordered from Amazon to get it quickly and have a hassle free return process if it doesn't work. Will report back this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 02:38 PM   #80
rjsiciliano
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW e92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Really appreciate that feedback - I ordered one and will be here friday. I'll try and get some time Friday to crudely connect everything up and see if it works. Worst case, sometime this weekend.

FYI - these things are like half the price on Alibaba.com. I just ordered from Amazon to get it quickly and have a hassle free return process if it doesn't work. Will report back this weekend.
FYI these vacuum boxes are the exact same ones Valvetronic Designs uses. Again all their rebranded china exhausts with a logo slapped on. Curious where this Turner system is manufactured.
Appreciate 1
chicagob5256.50
      11-02-2022, 03:00 PM   #81
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsiciliano View Post
FYI these vacuum boxes are the exact same ones Valvetronic Designs uses. Again all their rebranded china exhausts with a logo slapped on. Curious where this Turner system is manufactured.
Agreed, I installed one for a friend.

We wired direct to the battery but with a relay using the amp turn on in the trunk as a trigger. This way it only turns on when the vehicle is on and doesn't kill the battery.
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2022, 03:11 PM   #82
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsiciliano View Post
Good to know, sounds like this will be the solution I end up using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Agreed, I installed one for a friend.

We wired direct to the battery but with a relay using the amp turn on in the trunk as a trigger. This way it only turns on when the vehicle is on and doesn't kill the battery.
Any deets on how you wired it up to the amp?

Not the most familiar with electric work but doing a quick lookup on how a relay works and found the following diagram which seems simple enough:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...L._SL1500_.jpg

In this case, the positive trigger source would be the amp which is cool. Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 03:31 PM   #83
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Did anyone add a fuse holder as recommended in the instructions?
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 04:01 PM   #84
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

In this case, the positive trigger source would be the amp which is cool. Thank you in advance.
Yes it's super easy, i dont remember exactly which color wire it is, but it's easy to check, use a test light or multi meter and check the plug that goes into the amp, you'll find a bigger wire for constant power, and another trigger wire that is only on when the car wakes up, use that as a trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
Use a fused connection when going directly to the battery.

If going to the fuse box, it's fused there.
Appreciate 1
Soden82477.00
      11-02-2022, 06:38 PM   #85
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Turner system is made in China. There's a laser etch on it that I found. No complaints from me.

Btw I returned the Double Wall Tips for full refund and bought Single Wall Tips. Pics to follow once installed. I also returned the two Nyloc nuts that weren't used.
      11-02-2022, 08:57 PM   #86
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Quote:

Yes it's super easy, i dont remember exactly which color wire it is, but it's easy to check, use a test light or multi meter and check the plug that goes into the amp, you'll find a bigger wire for constant power, and another trigger wire that is only on when the car wakes up, use that as a trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soden82 View Post
Use a fused connection when going directly to the battery.

If going to the fuse box, it's fused there.
Gotcha thanks, I think I'll tee off to the vacuum line leading to the bypass port on my supercharger. We will see tomorrow
MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 10:39 PM   #87
Soden82
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Installed the turner exhaust tonight. Couple notes with the install. I had to remove the CF diffuser I had in order to fit the tips (not a big deal because I was going to remove it anyways). Exhaust quality was fantastic and it fit great.

I could not for the life of me figure out how I wanted to wire the valves, so I decided to take my friends vacuum pump out of his car that he uses for his valvetronic exhaust, wire it to the turner exhaust with the check valve, and keep the valves open until I buy a vacuum pump off of Amazon.

I'm gonna try to post the video of a baby rev in the next few days (car wasn't warmed up). You could also message me and I'll send the video if Bimmerpost allows me.

Of note, this is a supercharged car with test pipes, and I still have secondary cats and resonators.
Attached Images

MHD tuned
VRSF Race IC
DCI
ATM exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2022, 12:21 AM   #88
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Vacuum connected and tested successfully! Per my earlier post, continue to follow this white plastic tube. It runs from the back of the car, up the drivers side and right to the fuel breather valve. Guess maybe it's the fuel breather hose!? In any case, it's the perfect guide/route.

To get the vacuum line from under the car to the engine bay, remove the rear half of the wheel well liner and the front couple of driver side splash felt screws (under and behind the front wheel) so that you can see what you're doing. Then zip tie your vacuum line to that white hose as you feed it into the engine bay.

After removing your plenum you will see the vacuum source. It's the "J-shaped" rubber hose that runs from the fuel breather valve to the idle control valve. I found it easier to remove the fuel breather valve (hose comes off the back and plug disconnects) and the vacuum hose from the idle control valve to install my tee. The oem black hose is 5/16" and the supplied blue hose is 1/8" so you can try to find a tee with reducer, or buy a junction and threaded barbs like I did (and this is what I saw others doing for exhaust and supercharger installs). There is plenty of room.

I still need to button up the vacuum routing with a few more zip ties and then run the controller into the fuse panel. I also need to mount the valve and solenoid, but it works great. More pictures to follow as I get it buttoned up tomorrow.

Video of cycling the valves during cold idle:

Photos of vacuum line routing:
Attached Images