BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

12-19-2017, 01:01 PM   #45
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
I had issues with my battery and the day came, where I also had to swap it for a new one. I also used Carly, I really can‘t remember exactly how the procedure was in detail ( did it only once or maybe twice for a buddies car ) but after the registration, I could‘ve sworn there was a „successful registered“ screen in the carly app.
M3 E92 MY 2008

Multiple times the schwaben tool had been mentioned on here while questioning carlys (street) credibility.

All I can say is, I never had any issues with carly.
What Carly ( located in munich germany ) claimed was always correct and never misleading. In this case here, we should ask ourselfs:

Why didn‘t the battery registration had been recorded? Could‘ve probably been an coding interruption, a missing app or phone update or an faulty sensor or any other electrical the gremlin, the trouble maker here?

The truth is we really don‘t know. What we know is Carly works, started to become a huge part of our lifes, gave us so much self confidence and made us much happier. We stopped beeing puppets of the greedy car-repair-industry.
Basically we all smile when an engine light pops up instead of getting an heart attack. ( Wich was a few years back common in our enthusiastic world ). We check other peoples cars, code them and really enjoy beeing car owners all that because of Carly. Thats why I ( and that is my personal oppinion), trust carly and don‘t think they would do anything on purpose or to betray costumers.
If you read my updates above, I too got the "successfully registered" message from the Carly tool. I also got a similar success message from Schnabel. But in the end, neither tool was able to truly register the battery in the DME.

I was able to verify this only after the mechanic registered the battery with Autologic. Then when I fired up EITHER Carly or Schwaben....I was able to see the new recorded registration mileage. furthermore, in Schwaben, I was able to confirm that past battery voltage history was properly reset as well.

So this is not a flame on Carly...as I see the same issue with Schwaben. Both tools are still ok, but just wanted to alert members to their limitations.
Appreciate 4
vsix601.50
L4ces337.00
Rajmun340413.00
dar2008302.50
      12-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #46
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiraikkonen View Post
If you read my updates above, I too got the "successfully registered" message from the Carly tool. I also got a similar success message from Schnabel. But in the end, neither tool was able to truly register the battery in the DME.

I was able to verify this only after the mechanic registered the battery with Autologic. Then when I fired up EITHER Carly or Schwaben....I was able to see the new recorded registration mileage. furthermore, in Schwaben, I was able to confirm that past battery voltage history was properly reset as well.

So this is not a flame on Carly...as I see the same issue with Schwaben. Both tools are still ok, but just wanted to alert members to their limitations.
All coding and diagnose options claimed by Carly had been tested by thousands of car enthusiasts across the globe, to be legit and definately working.
Remember everything need to be updated! The Carly PRO App AND the Carly OBD Gen II Adapter.
As for me, as already stated just a little more into detail:

I also used Carly on my M3 E92 and still use it on my M4 F82 and it works flawlessly, besides one situation where my carly OBD adapter went down south wich got replaced in no time for free. ( life time warranty on all electronical components of the Carly Adapter )

For now these are the common things I love to code on my or other peoples cars, besides the used car check or diagnosis in general:

Did it on 1, 2, 3 and 4 series
( just had to update the app )

Used car check
US parking light / Sidemaker
Brightness Angel Eyes
Daytime running lights tail lights
Brake Force Display (flashing brake light)
Exhaust flap remote
Battery registration
Seat belt reminder chime deactivation
DVD in motion
Cold start delete
Anti-theft alarm system:
alarm sound (US or EU mode), acoustic signal for lock/ unlock

Start/ stop deactivation

And to get back to battery registering:
The Carly PRO App along with an OEM Carly OBD Gen II adapter has to be used ( and to be updated )
to achieve the focused coding goal. I did it that way and everything always worked like a charm.

Last edited by vsix; 12-19-2017 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 03:56 PM   #47
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
All coding and diagnose options claimed by Carly had been tested by thousands of car enthusiasts across the globe, to be legit and definately working.
Remember everything need to be updated! The Carly PRO App AND the Carly OBD Gen II Adapter.

I also used Carly on my M3 E92 and still use it on my M4 F82 and it works flawlessly, besides one situation where my carly OBD adapter went down south wich got replaced in no time for free. ( life time warranty on all electronical components of the Carly Adapter )

For now these are the common things I love to code on my or other peoples cars, besides the used car check or diagnosis in general:

Used car check
Brightness Angel Eyes
Exhaust flap remote
Battery registration
DVD in motion
Cold start delete
Anti-theft alarm system:

Start/ stop deactivation

The Carly PRO App along with an OEM Carly OBD Gen II adapter has to be used ( and to be updated )
to achieve the focused coding goal. I did it that way and everything always worked like a charm.
1) Of course the app is running the latest update and am using the OBD Gen II adapter. The point is you even said that you only saw the "sucessfully registered" message and since you've sold the car, you have said yourself that you have no way of verifying if the battery registration mileage was properly recorded. The Schwaben tool cannot register the battery either...and was also giving a false positive battery registration message. So this is a DME compatibility issue with these tools, specific to our e9x car model.....so completely irrelevant if they work on other BMW models (like generic 3-series, 4-series, etc)

2) Brake Force Display (BFD) coding from Carly does NOT work on the E9x M3. Carly has confirmed on this issue. So please do not just cut & paste the generic "what can be coded" list that Carly gives by BMW model series. There are model-specific coding compatibility nuances that are not disclosed.

3) I think Carly does a nice job of reading and resetting fault codes...and is definitely the most user-friendly....especially for coding cosmetic stuff (like lights, DVD, etc). It is like an iPhone. The Schwaben does seem to give more features regarding i) adaptation reset, ii) stored values in the DME, iii) even their OBD2 diagnosis can show how many recorded misfires per Cylinder. But even the Schwaben tool cannot do battery registration...so for those looking to register their battery they need to go with other more expensive or complex options. Just stating the facts here.

But even here on the Schwaben, it cannot do the Battery registration.
Appreciate 1
Rajmun340413.00
      12-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #48
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
1) Of course the app is running the latest update and am using the OBD Gen II adapter. The point is you even said that you only saw the "sucessfully registered" message and since you've sold the car, you have said yourself that you have no way of verifying if the battery registration mileage was properly recorded. The Schwaben tool cannot register the battery either...and was also giving a false positive battery registration message. So this is a DME compatibility issue with these tools, specific to our e9x car model.....so completely irrelevant if they work on other BMW models (like generic 3-series, 4-series, etc)

2) Brake Force Display (BFD) coding from Carly does NOT work on the E9x M3. Carly has confirmed on this issue. So please do not just cut & paste the generic "what can be coded" list that Carly gives by BMW model series. There are model-specific coding compatibility nuances that are not disclosed.

3) I think Carly does a nice job of reading and resetting fault codes...and is definitely the most user-friendly....especially for coding cosmetic stuff (like lights, DVD, etc). It is like an iPhone. The Schwaben does seem to give more features regarding i) adaptation reset, ii) stored values in the DME, iii) even their OBD2 diagnosis can show how many recorded misfires per Cylinder. But even the Schwaben tool cannot do battery registration...so for those looking to register their battery they need to go with other more expensive or complex options. Just stating the facts here.

Not sure if you answered this yet but you said your new battery is a 92ah battery but can you confirm that you originally had a 90ah battery? Reason I ask is because there’s like 3 diff sizes they used for our cars (probably based on how many equipped options it needed to power) and I’ve read if the new battery is 10ah in difference it needs to be recorded as well, just an idea
I’m changing my battery tomorrow with a Bosch one and figured I’d still take a $10 gamble on Carly
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #49
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86 View Post
Not sure if you answered this yet but you said your new battery is a 92ah battery but can you confirm that you originally had a 90ah battery? Reason I ask is because there’s like 3 diff sizes they used for our cars (probably based on how many equipped options it needed to power) and I’ve read if the new battery is 10ah in difference it needs to be recorded as well, just an idea
I’m changing my battery tomorrow with a Bosch one and figured I’d still take a $10 gamble on Carly
Previous battery was the OEM 92AH (720 CCA).....and the one I put in recently was also the OEM 92AH (720 CCA).

I think they only allow for coding to even number increments....so it will be coded as 90AH on the DME.

Please let us know how this goes and hopefully we can get more feedback on this. Note the battery registration mileage before you register (shown in km and not miles). Then after you "successfully register) the battery....go back in the Carly app and read the battery status again. If you only see the original mileage shown, then it did not work. If you see a new mileage entry, then the app worked.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 05:18 PM   #50
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Previous battery was the OEM 92AH (720 CCA).....and the one I put in recently was also the OEM 92AH (720 CCA).

I think they only allow for coding to even number increments....so it will be coded as 90AH on the DME.

Please let us know how this goes and hopefully we can get more feedback on this. Note the battery registration mileage before you register (shown in km and not miles). Then after you "successfully register) the battery....go back in the Carly app and read the battery status again. If you only see the original mileage shown, then it did not work. If you see a new mileage entry, then the app worked.
🤞🏽
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 05:31 PM   #51
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:

*It works on the 1,2,3,4 series and can be found in the FEM and REM control unit ( PRO app update required )*
Sorry for missunderstanding.

In this day and age, specially regarding Apps, so called updates do the complete magic. So I believe Carly is anyhow working on all kind of new updates, basically we all are always just one update away of a new option or feature

I would suggest you to do an update of your Carly App and make sure you have the original Carly Gen II adapter.
Carly also mentioned that we can contact them and give them suggestions what to move forward on their priority list.

Even heard that they managed to (release?) engine and transmission tuning files for Diesel BMW‘s. Crazy stuff going on right now at carlies...
And as I said the coolest part is, I allready have everything I just need a freaking update. With this said —>Hopefully they manage to do this kind of magic to our ///M platform!

Carly Tuning, found the link:

http://www.mycarly.com/tuning/

Last edited by vsix; 12-19-2017 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #52
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Who can confirm that battery registration worked on a 2011+ and was able to be ready in the history log?
      12-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #53
Hunt3R
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I recently purchased Carly for the main purpose of registering my new battery in my 2009 M3 and I am having the same issue. Carly says it has successfully registered my battery but it shows no registration history. I tried waiting a few days and checking it again but still no registration shows up. I've tried to register it 2 more times and each time it says it completed successfully but there is no registration history.

I'm pretty disappointed that I spent over $130 on the Carly app + battery feature and the Carly adapter and now it may not even be working. A couple days ago I contacted Carly support thru the app and attached my logs and explained the behavior I'm seeing when trying to register my new battery and today I received this response: "yes we have see that in some rare cases there is a problem. We work on it and we will release a update in the near future to give a solution."
Appreciate 1
Rajmun340413.00
      12-19-2017, 09:06 PM   #54
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt3R View Post
I recently purchased Carly for the main purpose of registering my new battery in my 2009 M3 and I am having the same issue. Carly says it has successfully registered my battery but it shows no registration history. I tried waiting a few days and checking it again but still no registration shows up. I've tried to register it 2 more times and each time it says it completed successfully but there is no registration history.

I'm pretty disappointed that I spent over $130 on the Carly app + battery feature and the Carly adapter and now it may not even be working. A couple days ago I contacted Carly support thru the app and attached my logs and explained the behavior I'm seeing when trying to register my new battery and today I received this response: "yes we have see that in some rare cases there is a problem. We work on it and we will release a update in the near future to give a solution."
Sorry to hear, but your situation is what happened to me, so glad to hear a corroborating story. If I look at this glass half full, the hiccup with Carly prompted me to buy the Schwaben/Foxwell scanner (for another $149).....and while the Schwaben tool does not work for battery registration either...I did discover some cool capabilities with that tool. So now I can:
- reset throttle adaptations
- reset my EDC if I ever have to replace it (knock on wood)
- Get pretty good diagnostic insight for debugging misfires....they have a cool log of how many misfires you may have had (on a per cylinder basis)
etc

So moral of the story:
1) use Carly for basic Error code scanning and resetting. Carly is much better than Schwaben here imo (from a UI and interface perspective)
2) Use Schwaben to reset engine and chassis control modules (like TBAs, EDC, etc)
3) For battery registration...suck it up and pay a mechanic to do this. Cost me only $75 for the mechanic to reset with Autologic. Then verify that they indeed do the work using Schwaben.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #55
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Replaced the original battery today 90ah with a Bosch 90ah, the Carly app didn’t have any history of registered batteries before the install and didn’t record the new battery after the install, so same BS as everyone else SMH I’m telling Apple I want my money back
Appreciate 1
Rajmun340413.00
      12-20-2017, 04:28 PM   #56
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Replaced the original battery today 90ah with a Bosch 90ah, the Carly app didn’t have any history of registered batteries before the install and didn’t record the new battery after the install, so same BS as everyone else SMH I’m telling Apple I want my money back
Hopefully you can get this registered without spending too much. Cost me $75 with my mechanic......so yes, was charged 1/2 hr labor for something that probably takes 5 min to do.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #57
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Hopefully you can get this registered without spending too much. Cost me $75 with my mechanic......so yes, was charged 1/2 hr labor for something that probably takes 5 min to do.
Was it a bmw indy mechanic or just a generic mechanic?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 05:23 PM   #58
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
BMW indy mechanic. They use Autologic.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 05:37 PM   #59
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I wrote apple and they said they can't issue refunds from add-on purchases. What BS.
      12-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #60
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincE92M3 View Post
I wrote apple and they said they can't issue refunds from add-on purchases. What BS.
I wrote Apple too but haven’t gotten a reply yet. I’m not gonna buy that if they tell me the same it’s basically a scam for money and a shame if they allow it
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 05:48 PM   #61
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I wrote Apple too but haven’t gotten a reply yet. I’m not gonna buy that if they tell me the same it’s basically a scam for money and a shame if they allow it
Keep me posted. I wrote back twice and both times the CSR pointed to agreement terms.
      12-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #62
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Keep me posted. I wrote back twice and both times the CSR pointed to agreement terms.
That’s sad because I know for a fact people on android have gotten refunded for poor in app purchases and I’ve read stories of children accidentally making a ton of IAPs and apple making a goodwill refund. I expect the same response my plan is to say customer support is why I stay with Apple instead of Android if not then can always despute the charge with the credit card or bank
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 05:21 PM   #63
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
They gave me a refund without any problem
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 05:24 PM   #64
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Carly emailed me saying that the app does register batteries but on some cars it doesn’t read the log of registered batteries, I suppose to test that someone would have to get their car scanned after the Carly registration to see if it shows in their reader
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #65
kimiraikkonen
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Carly emailed me saying that the app does register batteries but on some cars it doesn’t read the log of registered batteries, I suppose to test that someone would have to get their car scanned after the Carly registration to see if it shows in their reader
That's the same bs answer they gave me. This is nothing about the log being NOT written....as the DME was never written to in the first place.

So do what I did to verify:

1) Buy Schwaben/Foxwell NT510 scanner
2) Try to register battery with Schwaben.....and you too will get a false-positive "battery success" message with them. Additionally, you will notice that the mileage is NOT reset either using Schwaben. Nor will your battery voltage hrs per voltage range be reset either. So basically Schwaben doesn't work either for registering the battery, but provides another independent verification that the Carly BMW didn't do sh** for battery registration.
3) Then take your car to a mechanic to do the battery reset correctly
4) Then verify the battery registration with the Schwaben scanner. You will see that the battery mileage (new one) is properly recorded and the battery voltage hrs reset to 0
5) Then verify with your Carly BMW tool. Low and behold, you will see that the new battery mileage is recorded. So this is nothing to do with the battery log not being read...as obviously the scanner is reading the log now.

EOM.
Appreciate 1
Rajmun340413.00
      12-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #66
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Quote:

Used car check
Brightness Angel Eyes
Exhaust flap remote
Battery registration
DVD in motion
Cold start delete
Anti-theft alarm system:

Start/ stop deactivation

You listed cold start delete. The Carly app can remove and add cold start delete? I thought that was specific to tuning only?
Appreciate 0