BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

08-31-2022, 05:58 PM   #1167
JOJO82
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah dude View Post
Interesting. So this is a plug and play screen upgrade that doubles or triples the resolution of the stock display, while keeping all OEM functionality? Does this work with both CIC and CCC?
Not for CIC, it is only for CCC units
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 06:00 PM   #1168
JOJO82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Hang on. Actually reading through the data here- this does not seem like an answer for the P2000 on CCC and here's why.

That screen is UPSCALING the image from the CCC- not forcing the CCC to output in a 1280x480 resolution like the CIC.

What this means for the P2000, is the CCC model isnt going to be outputting anything in 1280x480.

You will not get an identical picture to the CIC system- as the output resolution isn't any different. Meaning that in carplay for example, the number of apps on the carplay UI wont change. You'll have a slightly sharper set of still overly large icons and UI elements, and that's it.

Do not confuse upscaling with native resolution.
Yep you are right, you are getting a sharper crisper image, not washed out and bland like the standard CCC.... But yes not 1280x480
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 06:09 PM   #1169
mnnguy
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 m3

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I purchased the new p2000dsp version recently and am installing it into my 2012 m3.

I am having an issue with getting everything working correctly.

When first installed, I did not get anything to show in the CD menu. So I coded the cd changer as per the instructions in the first post within bimmercode.

Now after coding it to mp3_cdc, I get a screen saying "No warning tones" and when navigating to the CD menu, it says CD1 is unchecked.

I read that other user's problems and made sure the dip switches were correctly all in the off position. I double checked the Idrive connection (it works when the piggyback cable is plugged into the p2000 box).

The p2000 box is getting power and the led is lit up. I checked the MOST connection and even zip tied the box as other users have done, but still nothing is fixing the problem. I took the cable out of its routing and connected it one more time and still nothing is working. The speakers make a slight clicking sound and no bluetooth or any audio is working. Also, when putting the green fiber optic cable back into the original connector, the bluetooth and all other audio functionality returns.

Does anyone know what could be done to correct the "no warning tones" and how CD1 is unchecked to get the unit working?

Last edited by mnnguy; 08-31-2022 at 06:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 06:25 PM   #1170
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnguy View Post
I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me. I purchased the new p2000dsp version recently and am installing it into my 2012 m3.

When first installed, I did not get anything to show in the CD menu. So I coded the cd changer as per the instructions in the first post within bimmercode.

Now after coding it to mp3_cdc, I get a screen saying "No warning tones" and when navigating to the CD menu, it says CD1 is unchecked.

I read that other user's problems and made sure the dip switches were correctly all in the off position. I double checked the Idrive connection (it works when the piggyback cable is plugged into the p2000 box).

The p2000 box is getting power and the led is lit up. I checked the MOST connection and even zip tied the box as other users have done, but still nothing is fixing the problem. I took the cable out of its routing and connected it one more time and still nothing is working. The speakers make a slight clicking sound and no bluetooth or any audio is working. Also, when putting the green fiber optic cable back into the original connector, the bluetooth and all other audio functionality returns.

Does anyone know what could be done to correct the "no warning tones" and how CD1 is unchecked to get the unit working?

You've done something wrong when coding it looks like...
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 06:35 PM   #1171
mnnguy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
You've done something wrong when coding it looks like...
I dont know how I could have? I copied the steps directly:
Headunit -> Expert Mode -> 3000 HMI
Find CDMM_CHANGER_3 option and change it to mp3_cdc
CODE -> START CODING

If I revert to the original option, it goes back to normal but still not able to see anything on the CD menu as it was before I coded (no disc). Im assuming its something wrong in the MOST cable or the unit itself as when I reconnect the original cable, everything goes back to functioning as stock (all bluetooth and sound working). I have reached out for support on the website email, but seeing if anyone would know how to solve this.

This is what I got before coding, and also after when reverting back to the stock default option.

Last edited by mnnguy; 08-31-2022 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 08:07 PM   #1172
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

I think what the error is telling you is that the MOST loop is broken- or rather that it is not getting a MOST signal. I'm guessing this is an individual audio car? I bet the no warning tones means it cant communicate with the amp in order to send the warning chimes at startup to the amp.

Checking the obvious stuff here- there is light coming out of the most cable at each point of the 3 connections?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 11:30 PM   #1173
mnnguy
Rep

Quote:
I think what the error is telling you is that the MOST loop is broken- or rather that it is not getting a MOST signal. I'm guessing this is an individual audio car? I bet the no warning tones means it cant communicate with the amp in order to send the warning chimes at startup to the amp.

Checking the obvious stuff here- there is light coming out of the most cable at each point of the 3 connections?

Yep it is an individual audio car. If you are talking about the three connections of the orange cable provided. I am only able to check two as I had to swap the cable to put into the quadlock.

From there I am able to see two lights, one that connects to the original green cable. And another one on the connector that goes to the p2000 once I connect the orange to the green as seen in the pictures.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 02:25 AM   #1174
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yep it is an individual audio car. If you are talking about the three connections of the orange cable provided. I am only able to check two as I had to swap the cable to put into the quadlock.

From there I am able to see two lights, one that connects to the original green cable. And another one on the connector that goes to the p2000 once I connect the orange to the green as seen in the pictures.
Check and see if you have a MOST signal at the amp in the trunk. I'm guessing not.

Lastly- I'd disconnect the MOST line at the headunit and see if you have a signal there.

My guess based on your pictures is the p2000 isnt for whatever reason outputting a most signal. If there's no most signal at the headunit connection- I think that would confirm it. If so- something isnt connected right on the p2000 itself or the unit itself is bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 03:02 AM   #1175
mnnguy
Rep

Quote:
Check and see if you have a MOST signal at the amp in the trunk. I'm guessing not.

Lastly- I'd disconnect the MOST line at the headunit and see if you have a signal there.

My guess based on your pictures is the p2000 isnt for whatever reason outputting a most signal. If there's no most signal at the headunit connection- I think that would confirm it. If so- something isnt connected right on the p2000 itself or the unit itself is bad.
Okay, I'll check back on it tomorrow to check to see if that is the case. Thank you for helping diagnosing by the way.

When you say to disconnect the MOST line at the headunit, does that mean plugging in the quadlock without the orange cable installed into the connector and seeing if there is a red light signal?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 07:33 AM   #1176
danbav
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 330i, 335i. Golf GTI mk1

Quote:
Okay, I'll check back on it tomorrow to check to see if that is the case. Thank you for helping diagnosing by the way.

When you say to disconnect the MOST line at the headunit, does that mean plugging in the quadlock without the orange cable installed into the connector and seeing if there is a red light signal?
Just checking, do you have a factory cd changer installed as standard? If so have you disconnected and looped the fibre with the supplied most loop cable. Prob not this issue but worth asking.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:55 AM   #1177
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbav View Post
Just checking, do you have a factory cd changer installed as standard? If so have you disconnected and looped the fibre with the supplied most loop cable. Prob not this issue but worth asking.
This is a really good question. In addition to the CD changer- any other uncommon accessories like an ipod adapter or anything installed in the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 10:29 AM   #1178
mnnguy
Rep

Quote:
This is a really good question. In addition to the CD changer- any other uncommon accessories like an ipod adapter or anything installed in the car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbav View Post
So this car does not have the factory cd changer, so I did not have to loop the cables.
I made sure to unplug all chargers from the cigarette lighters as I was seeing previous users having problems with it coming from a short happening.

The only other accessory is the OEM phone cradle in the center console but Wouldn’t this cause problems even when the p2000 was not connected?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 01:03 PM   #1179
mnnguy
Rep

Quote:

So I checked if there was a signal. I have a signal at the headunit when i unplugged the orange cable, and at the amp once i reconnected everything.

There is nothing connected except the oem cradle. Im kinda stuck here as contacting mr12volt he states that the unit and cable arent defective and that its a coding problem. But I have done the coding correctly per my pic below, and even reverted it to the stock code options from before I touched anything within bimmercode.

Last edited by mnnguy; 09-01-2022 at 01:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 03:12 PM   #1180
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah dude View Post
Have I amused you in some way?
      09-01-2022, 06:08 PM   #1181
legomanx51v
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Quote:

I felt like I had the same issue as you. I was starting to doubt if I had installed it coded things correctly as well.

1. Make sure you have the wiring and coding as you had it in these photos. You did it all correctly the first time.
2. Physically hold the p2000 unit and make sure the fibre optic cable is coming into the unit straight in, no angle or strain on it. Use your own fingers to ensure the wires are tightly pressed in, no zip ties at this stage.
3. While this is happening, press and hold down the idrive controller knob for 10 seconds. It resets the p2000 and you’ll hear a relay switch and it’ll trigger the MOST connection in the p2000 to restart.
4. Within 5 seconds or so, where it says “unchecked” on your idrive in the screenshots will be replaced with Mr12volt and it should work.

If you’ve been messing around for a while like this it may be better to just disconnect the battery for a minute and reconnect it so that the idrive head unit/ amp etc are all powering up “fresh”.

If you find that this works but it’s flaky and temperamental and holding that most cable going into the p2000 in a certain position works, welcome to the scenario I found myself in.
You can read my earlier posts for what I tried to do to resolve it.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 09:55 PM   #1182
finbarr.cnaipe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJO82 View Post
Yep you are right, you are getting a sharper crisper image, not washed out and bland like the standard CCC.... But yes not 1280x480
JOJO82 ,

OK...so I have CCC 8.8in screen w/Mr12Volt P2000.

I'm still unclear about your solution and whether or not it integrates with Mr12Volt P2000? The Bimmertech vividscreen uses their MMI in place of Mr12Volt. Is your solution just plug & play and remove the old screen and replace with your sourced part?

While I would love a better screen than stock CCC, the value of MOST P2000 integration is more important. If that were not the case, I would've just gotten an Android kit screen from somebody like AVINUSA years ago...

Are you able to provide installation details on how this integrates with the P2000 and doesn't lose SW integration or MOST?

PS: I've tried looking for this solution on eBay, but have not had any luck finding anything that seems correct. If you have some search terms to try, I'm game to look?

Finny
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 12:26 AM   #1183
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

Am i correct in saying there is no work around if you dont have a CD changer? for whatever reason my car has individual audio but no changer and this system seems great!

I have read a few people making vague statements like, you need to disable cd changer if there is one or saying activate CDC if there is none

Am reading it correctly to say, if i do not have a CDC i can code the car to have one "activated" and then plug this box in and it will work?

Last edited by 130iguy; 09-02-2022 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 02:38 AM   #1184
drwankel
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130iguy View Post
Am i correct in saying there is no work around if you dont have a CD changer? for whatever reason my car has individual audio but no changer and this system seems great!

I have read a few people making vague statements like, you need to disable cd changer if there is one or saying activate CDC if there is none

Am reading it correctly to say, if i do not have a CDC i can code the car to have one "activated" and then plug this box in and it will work?
You've got it backwards. For the p2000 to work, there must be no CD changer present. If one is there, it must be bypassed.

The p2000 impersonates a CD changer on the MOST ring. There can't be two cd changers in the MOST ring, which is why if one is present, it must be bypassed.

The reason the coding is done is to tell the system a cd changer is present. There are multiple cd changer options in software- and we need it set to mp3_cdc for the p2000 to work correctly. It could have been hypothetically set to nothing because the car had no cd changer or a different cd changer option entirely depending on the car. In many cases, despite having no cd changer installed in the car, plugging in the system just worked with no coding at all. This was the case for myself. I later checked the coding and discovered that it was presently mp3_cdc, but no idea what the value was before I connected the p2000.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 03:55 AM   #1185
JOJO82
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by finbarr.cnaipe View Post
JOJO82 ,

OK...so I have CCC 8.8in screen w/Mr12Volt P2000.

I'm still unclear about your solution and whether or not it integrates with Mr12Volt P2000? The Bimmertech vividscreen uses their MMI in place of Mr12Volt. Is your solution just plug & play and remove the old screen and replace with your sourced part?

While I would love a better screen than stock CCC, the value of MOST P2000 integration is more important. If that were not the case, I would've just gotten an Android kit screen from somebody like AVINUSA years ago...

Are you able to provide installation details on how this integrates with the P2000 and doesn't lose SW integration or MOST?

PS: I've tried looking for this solution on eBay, but have not had any luck finding anything that seems correct. If you have some search terms to try, I'm game to look?

Finny
Yes you are 100% correct, literally take out your factory screen and plug this screen in its place. Mr12volt unit will work exactly the same way it currently is. That is how I had it setup in my car with the mr12volt unit.

The Bimmertech screen can be used without the MMI stuff but I'm pretty sure they sell it as a package and won't sell screen only.

As far as install goes you just need to take out the two connectors from the factory screen and plug them into the replacement screen and flick a few dip switches to match your car.

I haven't posted anything on eBay as the few I had sold real quick down here in Australia, I only have the demo unit left.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 02:28 PM   #1186
mnnguy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by legomanx51v View Post
I felt like I had the same issue as you. I was starting to doubt if I had installed it coded things correctly as well.

1. Make sure you have the wiring and coding as you had it in these photos. You did it all correctly the first time.
2. Physically hold the p2000 unit and make sure the fibre optic cable is coming into the unit straight in, no angle or strain on it. Use your own fingers to ensure the wires are tightly pressed in, no zip ties at this stage.
3. While this is happening, press and hold down the idrive controller knob for 10 seconds. It resets the p2000 and you’ll hear a relay switch and it’ll trigger the MOST connection in the p2000 to restart.
4. Within 5 seconds or so, where it says “unchecked” on your idrive in the screenshots will be replaced with Mr12volt and it should work.

If you’ve been messing around for a while like this it may be better to just disconnect the battery for a minute and reconnect it so that the idrive head unit/ amp etc are all powering up “fresh”.

If you find that this works but it’s flaky and temperamental and holding that most cable going into the p2000 in a certain position works, welcome to the scenario I found myself in.
You can read my earlier posts for what I tried to do to resolve it.
Thanks for the tips. I tried all the things that you did step by step. I did have the p2000 reset thru the idrive controller but still nothing works to fix it. This looks like I am going to return it, also seeing if I would be able to return it and try it with another unit.

This turned out more frustrating than I thought, even though connections seem so much simpler than the carsara unit ive installed in the past.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 04:23 PM   #1187
danbav
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 330i, 335i. Golf GTI mk1

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I tried all the things that you did step by step. I did have the p2000 reset thru the idrive controller but still nothing works to fix it. This looks like I am going to return it, also seeing if I would be able to return it and try it with another unit.

This turned out more frustrating than I thought, even though connections seem so much simpler than the carsara unit ive installed in the past.
There is a fibre loop connector under the dash passenger side. When you are testing is this still connected? Def seems to be liked to the most bus signal broken.

I have a uk factory spec Jan 2013 e92 pro nav, individual audio car with no factory cd changer. Same setup as you. I had to code it using the same instructions you posted. I had issues with the idrive controller connector being tight to seat correctly and when testing I left that loop connector disconnected by accident. No warning tones appears and I had no audio. I didn’t check anything else and it worked fine after I plugged the loop connector back in and powered everything back up.

Worth checking the above just in case.

Hope it helps…
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 07:32 PM   #1188
finbarr.cnaipe
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJO82 View Post
Yes you are 100% correct, literally take out your factory screen and plug this screen in its place. Mr12volt unit will work exactly the same way it currently is. That is how I had it setup in my car with the mr12volt unit.

The Bimmertech screen can be used without the MMI stuff but I'm pretty sure they sell it as a package and won't sell screen only.

As far as install goes you just need to take out the two connectors from the factory screen and plug them into the replacement screen and flick a few dip switches to match your car.

I haven't posted anything on eBay as the few I had sold real quick down here in Australia, I only have the demo unit left.
Thanks. Any idea where I can score something like this in USA? If the price is reasonable, I would grab one...

Also, can you confirm which Mr12Volt version you used? CCC and CIC use different video connectors, so I'm assuming the new screen has the connections for CCC video connector?
Appreciate 0